Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

man if we cant sperge out for two pages about transactions then i dont even know why we have a yospos

rotor was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

shrughes posted:

I come to this thread to forget about work, not talk about work :(

let's go back to making fun of weenie languages

i found a ruby to javasript converter and it's been fun to see them coming to terms with ruby's grammar and semantics.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

0xB16B00B5 posted:

PHP is your teenage sweetheart, the girl you first awkwardly fumbled around with that one summer. Just don't try and start a more serious relationship - this girl has serious issues.

Perl is PHP's older sister. She might be a bit old for you, but she was pretty popular back in the 90s. She's looking pretty ugly and scarred now, so you don't hear from her too much.

Ruby is the cool kid of the scripting family. When you first saw her, she took your breath away with her beauty. She was fun, too. At the time she seemed a bit slow and ditzy - though she's matured a lot in the last few years.

Python is Ruby's sensible (and slightly more boring) sister.

Java is a successful career woman. What she lacks in raw intelligence she makes up for in dress - always turned out in immaculateCamelCase, sure to impress the enterprise customers. You might feel like she's the sensible type you should settle down with. Just prepare for years of "NO THAT DOESNT GO THERE GOD YOU ALWAYS USE THE WRONG TYPE AND YOU MISSED A SEMICOLON" nagging.

C++ is Java's cousin. Similar to Java in many ways, the main difference being she grew up in a more innocent time and doesn't believe in condoms/automatic memory management, so be cautious.

C is C++'s mom. Mention her name to some old grey beard hackers and they're sure to reminisce with a twinkle in their eye.

Objective C is another member of the C family. She joined that weird church a while back, and won't date anyone outside of it.

Haskell, Clojure, Scheme and their friends are those hipster, artsy, intellectual girls you probably spent a blissful college summer with a few years ago. The first girls who really challenged you. Of course, it could never have become something more serious (you tell yourself). Though you'll always be left asking "what if?"

You might be put off C# due to her family's reputation. But they've gone legit, the last few years, they tell you. Once you're one of us, you're one of us, you hear? You need a database? Her brother MSSQL will hook you up. Need a place to stay? Heck, her daddy will even buy you your own mansion on Azure avenue. What's that, you're having second thoughts about all these overly friendly relatives? No, you can never leave. You're part of the family, now, ya hear?

Javascript - hey, wasn't that the girl you first kissed, way before even PHP came on the scene? I wonder what she's doing now. I hear her career's really taken off in the last few years. Would be cool to catch up some time, if only for old time's sake... (You catch sight of her, dressed head to toe in designer jQuery)... wow, somebody grew into a beautiful swan...

yes but which language has big tits????

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

the only transaction i need is i give you 50 bucks and you give me my drat nachoes

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tiny Bug Child posted:

yeah i guess it would be nice if i automatically stripped out the accents and umlauts and other floating letter doodads, but c'mon, you can't seriously expect an english site that has never been promoted in chinese in any way to work when you put chinese characters into it

not if you wrote it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
post post post

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

tef posted:

which ever one you're using right now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah exactly

split up the data storage and the data processing responsibilities into independent services so you can scale horizontally easier

∴ stored procedures are a relic and shouldn't be used

this is wrong though cause stored procs offer better performance, maintenance, and security than direct data access

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

tef posted:

not if you wrote it.

CN users are probably on stolen cards anyway, they're just gonna turn into chargebacks in a month

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

quote:

Postgres 9.1 - Release Theme
Following a great deal of discussion, I'm pleased to announce that the PostgreSQL Core team has decided that the major theme for the 9.1 release, due in 2011, will be 'NoSQL'.

There is a growing trend towards NoSQL databases, with major sites like Twitter and Facebook utilising them extensively. NoSQL databases often include multi-master replication, clustering and failover features that have long been requested in PostgresSQL, but have been extremely difficult to implement with SQL which has prevented us from advancing Postgree in the way that we'd like.

To address this, the intention is to remove SQL support from Postgres, and replace it with a language called 'QUEL'. This will provide us with the flexibility we need to implement the features of modern NoSQL databases. With no SQL support there will obviously be some differences in the query syntax that must be used to access your data. For example, the query:

select (e.salary/ (e.age - 18)) as comp from employee as e where e.name = "Jones"

would be rewritten as:

range of e is employee retrieve (comp = e.salary/ (e.age - 18)) where e.name = "Jones"

Aggregate syntax in QUEL is particularly powerful. For example, the query:

select dept,
avg(salary) as avg_salary,
sum(salary) as tot_salary
from
employees
group by
dept

may be written as:

range of e is employee
retrieve (e.dept,
avg_salary = avg(e.salary by e.dept),
tot_salary = sum(e.salary by e.dept)
)

Note that the grouped column can be specified for each individual aggregate.

We will be producing a comprehensive guide to the QUEL syntax to aid with application migration. We appreciate the difficulty that this change may cause some users, but feel we must embrace the NoSQL philosophy in order to remain "The world's most advanced Open Source
database"

"There's no question that, at 21 years old, the SQL standard is past its prime," said core developer and standards expert Peter Eisentraut. "It's time for us to switch to something fresher. I personally would have preferred XSLT, but QUEL is almost as good."

Project committer Heikki Linnakangas added: "By replacing SQL with QUEL not only will will be able to add new features to Postgres that were previously too difficult, but we'll also increase user loyalty as it'll be much harder for them to change to a different, SQL-based
database. That'll be pretty cool."

You may also notice that without SQL, the project name is somewhat misleading. To address that, the project name will be changed to 'PostgreQUEL' with the 9.1 release. We expect this will also put an end to the periodic debates on changing the project name.

Dave Page

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

this is wrong though cause stored procs offer better performance, maintenance, and security than direct data access

only because it keeps java programmers away from things they don't understand

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not java specific. most devs have no idea how to use databases properly.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Spooky Mission posted:

which ever one you're using right now

pro name+av switchup

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

its not java specific. most devs have no idea how to use databases properly.

i mean some of them don't even understands what happens when you have a database across machines, or how transactions work at scale.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

tef posted:

C☉B☉L

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

tef posted:

i mean some of them don't even understands what happens when you have a database across machines, or how transactions work at scale.

tbf i've only started learning this stuff because my new job is basically all database stuff. you don't really get that from some uni education, and they're not the most exciting things to learn about in your spare time either.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

pro name+av switchup

thank you, jeg hegy

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

pro name+av switchup
he's got a better parachute

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

he's got a better parachute

its u

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

no; please womansplain it to me

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

OBAMA BIN LOADIN posted:

tbf i've only started learning this stuff because my new job is basically all database stuff. you don't really get that from some uni education, and they're not the most exciting things to learn about in your spare time either.

Distributed events and protocols are kind of fun. You can re-frame that poo poo as "how would I write science fiction stories where people discuss across solar systems without faster-than-light communications". Then it becomes "how do I grow something that makes sense when it's super slow and costly to synchronize it".

It's not always database specific, it's just that people tend to push the hard distributed parts of their software into the database and forget about it, so the issue is frequently discussed in databases.

I don't know. I enjoy all kinds of tricks that can be used in there. I can sperg about it a lot.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

yeah i guess it would be nice if i automatically stripped out the accents and umlauts and other floating letter doodads, but c'mon, you can't seriously expect an english site that has never been promoted in chinese in any way to work when you put chinese characters into it

You do realize that e and é aren't the same letter, right Teny Bog Cheld?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

no, he doesn't

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
php developers don't understand unicode???? when did this happen

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

e and é are also part of latin-1, so I'd say he's limited to ASCII.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

wins32767 posted:

yeah they are. i don't really care about the little line on top

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Tiny Dug Chilb posted:

yeah they are. i don't really care about the little line on top

b and d are the same letter. I really don't care which side of the line the half-circle is on.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
Z is just an N rotated 90 degrees anti clockwise, what's the difference?????

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

wins32767 posted:

I thought they were considered the same letter for sorting and poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're different letters but depending on what ur doing w/ them you probably want to treat them the same for things like display or maybe even searching

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Hard NOP Life posted:

I thought they were considered the same letter for sorting and poo poo

That's actually really complicated.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

quick, how do you title case ijmuiden

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

tef posted:

let's go back to making fun of weenie languages

i found a ruby to javasript converter and it's been fun to see them coming to terms with ruby's grammar and semantics.

don't wieners usually call them "compilers"

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
like it seems there are an endless supply of stupid pieces of poo poo that "compile" things to javascript

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

you're more right than you know

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

vapid cutlery posted:

like it seems there are an endless supply of stupid pieces of poo poo that "compile" things to javascript
what else are you gonna do, actually write js? lmao

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Gazpacho posted:

what else are you gonna do, actually write js? lmao

some people love it because they have brain damage

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

coffeescript is decent, never used any of the other js '''''transpilers'''''

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

yaoi prophet posted:

coffeescript is decent, never used any of the other js '''''transpilers'''''

anytime i find myself writing javascript i trace back through my steps and find the huge, critical error i made in judgement to lead me to that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
jesus christ. if you can't just program in whatever language is thrown in front of you i;m afraid you have aspergers of a most serious nature

just liek, live and collect your awesome pay check