Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

Grendizer was part of Force Five, and it's got a fairly decent French following as well. I think it might be the most widely-distributed of the core Mazinger shows.

People keep saying Force Five like anyone outside New England knows what the gently caress and even then no one under 30 saw it. It wasn't like Golion or Macross, which were pretty much in reruns everywhere forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Maybe if Grendizer wasn't lame enough to cover the cockpit. :colbert:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MarsDragon posted:

Now if only it was in more than a couple SRW games maybe it would get some love.

Alas, the classic catch 22.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Now that Shin Mazinger appears to have replaced Classic 70s Anime Mazinger, you may never see Grendizer or any of the classic Dynamic Pro entries ever again. :smith:

And since it looks like we won't get a Great-hen, have fun not ever getting a proper Final Dynamic Special ever again. :smithicide:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Clearly, they just need to make a kickstarter for Great Hen. Look at how much money nerds spend on toys of old super robots. Promise a cool single pose Great Hen for 150$ donations and bam!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nasgate posted:

Clearly, they just need to make a kickstarter for Great Hen. Look at how much money nerds spend on toys of old super robots. Promise a cool single pose Great Hen for 150$ donations and bam!

-and bam! They've made $9000! Minus production costs!

Great Hen doesn't need ten thousand people pitching in ten bucks as much as one person pitching in a million.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't know if you know how Kickstarter works, but the dudes who want to make it state the number they'll need upfront, and then people pledge the amount they're willing to pay. If it makes the goal then they go ahead. If not all the pledges are rendered null and everyone gets back their money.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Well, maybe if he'd been released somewhere outside of Italy and the middle east.

Latin America does not count anymore? But we had some cool things, like the first half of Jeeg! :smith:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Mercury Crusader posted:

Now that Shin Mazinger appears to have replaced Classic 70s Anime Mazinger, you may never see Grendizer or any of the classic Dynamic Pro entries ever again. :smith:

And since it looks like we won't get a Great-hen, have fun not ever getting a proper Final Dynamic Special ever again. :smithicide:

I wouldn't put it past Terada at all to mix 70s Great and Grendizer in with Shin.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Mercury Crusader posted:

NOOoooOooOoOOoo

Bu-but... Spazers... and Duke Fleed, who kicks rear end! :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'll believe it has replaced 70s Anime Mazinger when it is in more than one game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I still have a faint hope that maybe we'll get Great-hen in an SRW game...maybe...

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ImpAtom posted:

I'll believe it has replaced 70s Anime Mazinger when it is in more than one game.

You have a point, but Hiroya Ishimaru isn't getting an younger while Kenji Akabane is ages from retirement.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mikeycp posted:

I still have a faint hope that maybe we'll get Great-hen in an SRW game...maybe...

Isn't that how Mazinkaizer first appeared? There's precedent!

(let me have my denial)

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
If they can't do a Great-hen series, I hope they'll one day wrap things up with a Shin Mazinger Z VS Ankoku Daishogun movie or something.

...and then it ends with an even worse cliffhanger intended to lead into Shin Grendizer, which never gets made.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Hey now, we need 2 new Grendizers made---the storyline from the classic UFO movie AND the one from the "proper" series! We must dream....

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Grendenkaiser, NOW

Oh and if you wanna make a Shin Combattler V or Shin Raideen, I'd be down with that too Japan :japan:

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Grendenkaiser, NOW

Oh and if you wanna make a Shin Combattler V or Shin Raideen, I'd be down with that too Japan :japan:

I wouldn't mind a Shin Daimos, with several more "A's" added in BLIZAAAAAAAAAADO.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Haven't they done Shin Raideen twice? Three times if you count RahXephon.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

New Giant Gorg out! This is a really high quality show, it deserves more people watching. I don't think there's anything I dislike about it, it's got likable characters, an interesting story and a great robot design. It would also be really cool to see in a SRW.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Guyver posted:

Haven't they done Shin Raideen twice? Three times if you count RahXephon.

Oh... yeah. Weelll... do it again :colbert:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Televisio Frankus posted:

I wouldn't mind a Shin Daimos, with several more "A's" added in BLIZAAAAAAAAAADO.

I'd watch that in a heart beat. That and a reboot of Voltes V.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They only really did Shin Raideen once. The 2006 one is more a RahXephon homage than a remake of the original, ironically enough.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
And then Bandai announced SRC Grendizer. Apparently Italy is who loves Grendizer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not sure how kosher posting a link is, but there's a sub out for the first episode of the Bluray version of Giant Robo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

2.2 GB?

Looks like for those with capped internets happiness can only be achieved through sacrifice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It does look gorgeous though and they also added both dubs and commentary from the DVD version (which I own, just in case) which is a surprising amount of effort, though the default sub font is awful. But yeah, sucks if you live somewhere with third world internet.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Does anyone know what the deal with this video is? It looks like some kind of promotional thing, with all the Dynamic Pro robots in one place.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's called Dynamic Super Robots Grand Battle. It was made to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Dynamic Planning originally released in three parts with the first three episodes of Shin vs Neo Getter Robo.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Guyver posted:

It's called Dynamic Super Robots Grand Battle. It was made to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Dynamic Planning originally released in three parts with the first three episodes of Shin vs Neo Getter Robo.
Thanks, I figured it was some kind of promotional thing. On a different note, what's the deal with Ginguiser? I thought it was supposed to be the ultimate terrible show or something, but looking at some clips on youtube it doesn't look that different from other 70s shows.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

A human heart posted:

Thanks, I figured it was some kind of promotional thing. On a different note, what's the deal with Ginguiser? I thought it was supposed to be the ultimate terrible show or something, but looking at some clips on youtube it doesn't look that different from other 70s shows.

It pretty much is like any other standard 70s super robot show, but the transformation sequence is just baffling, even when you consider Getter Robo and Koutetsu Jeeg at the time.

It tries to go for Combattler V's mechanical "kinda-makes-sense" locking-in-parts combination sequence, and then all of a sudden they realized none of that poo poo makes sense and it turns into something other.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

I like that last dude who jumps on at the last minute, only to disappear from the final product. Wait guys don't forget about meeeee--

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

A human heart posted:

You did see this one, right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuNiGwiq5Q

I could pick apart a ton of relatively small things (why does a giant robot dragon monster beating on the tower not break the glass, but regular sized people do break it by falling through it) but the big thing is that horrible transformation and post transformation fight. Because that fight is so bad, it makes the bad animation that much more apparent.

I know 70s shows weren't always up to snuff, but that transformation is an extra special layer of low budget terrible.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

onepixeljumpman posted:

I know 70s shows weren't always up to snuff, but that transformation is an extra special layer of low budget terrible.

Wasn't it canonically powered by literal magic?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Miracon posted:

Wasn't it canonically powered by literal magic?

I can't remember if they flat-out said it was powered by it, but considering the characters used magic and were magicians, I'm going to say yes.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I've heard that the the design for Ginguiser was so half assed that at one point Studio Nue wanted their name taken off the production credits. There's also the fact that it's an obvious Raideen rip off with a little Combattler sprinkled on.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

onepixeljumpman posted:

I could pick apart a ton of relatively small things (why does a giant robot dragon monster beating on the tower not break the glass, but regular sized people do break it by falling through it) but the big thing is that horrible transformation and post transformation fight. Because that fight is so bad, it makes the bad animation that much more apparent.

Oh god, I completely lost it at that final 'attack'. :wtc:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The first episode of Ginguiser was fansubbed as a one-off, you can probably find it on Google or something. It was a direct download when Megauploads was still around, so hopefully somebody has a torrent or mirror. It is worth watching for the hilarity factor alone.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
If no one manages to find that fan-sub, everyone at least needs to see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R6nr_ZZwUI

This is Ginguiser's launch sequence. Counting that it doesn't really start until about 0:15, it's 2:49 long. For comparison sake,

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15603461RrNtX72m?h1=Combattler+V+Combination

Combattler's launch and combination sequence together are just over two minutes.

Edit: I did find a post with the fansub torrent in it on starseeker, but there's no life in it, so that one may be lost.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

onepixeljumpman posted:

But listen to that funky background music! 70s robot shows had the best music, this is truth. Even completely awful shows had totally swinging soundtracks.

• Locked thread