Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Velocirocktor posted:

Anyway, can anyone recommend some really dirty stuff along the lines of Boris' Pink and Greenmachine's Archive of Rotten Blues? I've really been enjoying the messiness of the riffs on these albums.

Church of Misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

How are Witch Mountain live? I need an excuse to get out of a Halloween party.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

BjornOfBorg posted:

Am I the only one who is reminded of Brujeria when listening to the vocal delivery of the Spanish lines in the Todos Somos Humanos on the new Anaal Nathrakh album?

It wouldn't be the first time they have collaborated with someone from Mexico, but I am definitely feeling some Brujeria in there.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

Scrambles posted:

Church of Misery.

I know and love Church of Misery, don't know why I didn't include them as an example. But thanks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone want to recommend some stuff similar to High On Fires 2 most recent albums? the older ones are kind of cool but not necessarily after more stoner metal, just he balls out fury of the last two albums.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Houseplant posted:

It wouldn't be the first time they have collaborated with someone from Mexico, but I am definitely feeling some Brujeria in there.

One of my favorite things about Anaal Nathrakh is how their thematic philosophy incorporates so many different people and time periods. Sometimes their songs feel like black metal/grind if it were performed by early 19th-century German experimental artists, French nihilists, Dark Age-era monks, or 1970s American psychologists, which is all awesome. It's subtle, but the use of such a wide palette of inspirations and languages is a really refreshing change that gives them a lot of originality.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Velocirocktor posted:

I don't know if you're doing that "the last record was so bad I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist" thing but Mono's most recent album is For My Parents. Hymn To The Immortal Wind is a better record, though.

drat, didn't know they had a new one out. I've been super out of touch with new music and have only been getting back into the end of year releases in the past month or so.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Laserface posted:

Anyone want to recommend some stuff similar to High On Fires 2 most recent albums? the older ones are kind of cool but not necessarily after more stoner metal, just he balls out fury of the last two albums.
You might check out Black Cobra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3C_x07XUeM

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I did a grind last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxAV0vryCHY

What a fun way to kill a few hours. Once I finally get enough I'll release it as an album, but when you're writing 30s-2m songs, it takes a while to fill up a CD.

And then I've got to work on my thrash stuff. And I've still got a half-finished black metal album... drat this ADHD.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just got a ticket to see Gwar/Devildriver/Cancer Bats. I've never seen any of them before, but Gwar should be... interesting.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Make sure to wear a white t-shirt!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

My friend saw them recently and told me that their stage act has seriously degraded since the death of their guitarist. He said it looked like they had spent all of their money and didn't have much of a budget for things like blood cannons and dinosaurs... Hopefully I'm wrong though because GWAR put on a great show last time I saw them.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

QPZIL posted:

What a fun way to kill a few hours. Once I finally get enough I'll release it as an album, but when you're writing 30s-2m songs, it takes a while to fill up a CD.

And then I've got to work on my thrash stuff. And I've still got a half-finished black metal album... drat this ADHD.

I would listen to you know, 10 minutes of this, or however much of a CD you could fill up.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

QPZIL posted:

gently caress yes, more please

edit: can i request a jam about the satanic majesty of portra's exposure latitude?

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 26, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

To add on a theme you've already used (last year's hurricane), you should do a grind for Frankenstorm

edit: (posted too soon) they've already done half the lyrical work with all the extreme tides, havoc, barreling, chugging, frigid air, BIG WET MESSES, and this quote "Mother Nature is not saying 'trick-or-treat.' It's just going to give tricks."

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 26, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

To add on a theme you've already used (last year's hurricane), you should do a grind for Frankenstorm

Wow it would be dumb NOT to write a song about this.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

Wow it would be dumb NOT to write a song about this.

drat edited after your reply.

I just want to say it again.

BIG WET MESS

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I really want to buy that blood duster album and then nail it to my wall or something. I don't know.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ohhhhhh gently caress yeah, Graveyard has a new album out. Must get it, this band's just so good it hurts.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

d0grent posted:

My friend saw them recently and told me that their stage act has seriously degraded since the death of their guitarist. He said it looked like they had spent all of their money and didn't have much of a budget for things like blood cannons and dinosaurs... Hopefully I'm wrong though because GWAR put on a great show last time I saw them.

I wish I had money for blood cannons and dinosaurs.

I saw GWAR a couple years back at a fest and it ruled. They cut off the pope's head and Oderus dry humped his neck.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just got a ticket to see Gwar/Devildriver/Cancer Bats. I've never seen any of them before, but Gwar should be... interesting.

If anyone's in Seattle on the 10th, this will be the lineup in addition to Municipal Waste, Napalm Death, and. . . I forget who else.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Bloodshot Dawn just released a new single, which I'm really enjoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7c5T1Qbbiw

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Pig Destroyer put out this thing today:

http://noisey.vice.com/music-video-premiere/pig-destroyer-the-diplomat

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This is the best metal video I've probably ever seen, and I'm pretty sure I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Misogynist posted:

This is the best metal video I've probably ever seen, and I'm pretty sure I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

I just watched it myself, and I am in agreement.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

:stare:

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

That certainly was a thing. Holy poo poo, man.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

That is loving awesome.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I dunno man, I kinda prefer those where the band just stands around in like, an abandoned warehouse or someshit and pretends to be playing.

And by that I mean that was one pretty goddamn awesome music video.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've become obsessed with Immortal's recent live DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98oVLul1jlk

How the hell do three people make so much noise? I would absolutely slay to see Immortal live. So incredible. And such an awesome little dance around the 2:00 mark.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CornHolio posted:

How the hell do three people make so much noise? I would absolutely slay to see Immortal live. So incredible. And such an awesome little dance around the 2:00 mark.

Guitars and vocals seem to be run in stereo with a bit of delay and the amps seem to have slightly different tones on each side, probably just slightly different EQing and all of those amps probably aren't 100% identical. The band is great and they play very well, and their sound technician seems handles the band very well.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

CornHolio posted:

I've become obsessed with Immortal's recent live DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98oVLul1jlk

Hearing European dudes swear in English is always entertaining. The syllable emphasis always seems off. I remember thinking this when I saw Marduk play.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Zodijackylite posted:

Guitars and vocals seem to be run in stereo with a bit of delay and the amps seem to have slightly different tones on each side, probably just slightly different EQing and all of those amps probably aren't 100% identical. The band is great and they play very well, and their sound technician seems handles the band very well.

He uses Engl Powerballs I believe, but that is fake.

It also has a lot to do with Abbath's playstyle. The chords he uses aren't typical for metal playing and his picking is very deliberate and big and it fills up a lot of white-noise.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 29, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Feeling a bit burned on the recent GWAR tour. Brockie was doing a kickstarter-like thing where if you donated money towards his book you'd get a pass to any non-festival show, a meet and greet plus a shirt and poster from him.

Well, the show hits here next week, I have no tickets yet, the person who started the thing said to contact Dave, Dave said to contact some other guy and im starting to get pissed. Going to try contacting both again this week and hope for the best.

Napalm Death hits here next week and im super excited for that, missed all the past shows that came through but can't miss this one. Wish I was on one of the stops with Skeletonwitch though.

Anyone hear the new LICH KING album yet? It's loving amazing and they keep getting better and better. Combat Mosh is one of their best to date.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I'm supposed to be going to napalm death tonight but it seems there's a hurricane here. Part of me hopes it gets called off. It loving sucks out

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Has anyone from the US gone to Europe to see multiple festivals in a two week trip or so? I want to do that sometime.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zodijackylite posted:

Also that dvd's audio track was taken from the soundboard, so it's going to have an optimal mix.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Vintersorg posted:

Feeling a bit burned on the recent GWAR tour. Brockie was doing a kickstarter-like thing where if you donated money towards his book you'd get a pass to any non-festival show, a meet and greet plus a shirt and poster from him.

Is there a link for this?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

watt par posted:

Also that dvd's audio track was taken from the soundboard, so it's going to have an optimal mix.

It was a loving great gig though, they absolutely slayed it. I can't remember if it was at that festival or maybe Hellfest the year after where Emperor played, but they were both amazing reunion gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Wintersun posted this on facebook: http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/virallinen-lista/

They were number 2 the first week in Finland. I expected number 1 to be a pop act or something, but it's another metal band. How does that happen?! I've never heard of Mokoma and I would think that with such a big international following, Wintersun must have a huge Finnish following.

Time is great though. I thought it was too complicated at first, but after listening to it a lot, I feel like I have a good grasp of everything.