Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
http://www.skulpt.org/

https://code.google.com/p/skulpt/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

jesus christ. if you can't just program in whatever language is thrown in front of you i;m afraid you have aspergers of a most serious nature

just liek, live and collect your awesome pay check

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

jesus christ. if you can't just program in whatever language is thrown in front of you i;m afraid you have aspergers of a most serious nature
hope ur next job is in hospital IT

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i wish duck monster wold stop by sometime and tell us some cobol stories :corsair:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

just liek, live and collect your awesome pay check

what do you think about compilers that target asm

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

anytime i find myself writing javascript i trace back through my steps and find the huge, critical error i made in judgement to lead me to that point

today my boss gave me a horrible pile of javascript he shitted out to make some 'add-a-thing' interface and wanted me to make an 'edit-a-thing' interface :negative:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

my favorite part of the html5 canvas api is that there's no way to get the current transformation so you need to explicitly track it throughout your program

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

canvas has been a useless novelty toy in my experience.

i had some maze generating algorithm to draw mazes that worked on canvas across chrome/ie/firefox and one day about a month ago it just stopped working on chrome/ff and i don't care enough to crack it open and figure out what feature got updated to make it not work

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Socracheese posted:

canvas has been a useless novelty toy in my experience.

i had some maze generating algorithm to draw mazes that worked on canvas across chrome/ie/firefox and one day about a month ago it just stopped working on chrome/ff and i don't care enough to crack it open and figure out what feature got updated to make it not work

sounds like developing for an apple platform except that it happens even if you only use documented features and you have no lead time on updates

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

yaoi prophet posted:

my favorite part of the html5 canvas api is that there's no way to get the current transformation so you need to explicitly track it throughout your program
this is absolutely right tho

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

this is absolutely right tho

why

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Gazpacho posted:

hope ur next job is in hospital IT

i'm doing ok, thanks for asking. i wont be working in your gay industry ever

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

yaoi prophet posted:

what do you think about compilers that target asm

sounds good, do it better next time and liek,,, reduce cycle counts.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ok i take that back but only because the style metrics don't follow the transformation matrix, the problem is really with them

a function that draws stuff should be able to draw it at any scale & position just by having the caller set the transformation matrix. that won't work if functions go messing with the matrix in arbitrary (nonlinear) ways.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
javascript is really a perfectly fine language, it's the loving dom and everything related to it that makes you want to eat a loving bullet

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

javascript is really a perfectly fine language, it's the loving dom and everything related to it that makes you want to eat a loving bullet

lua is better

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
canvas is a super great thing to target because people will increasingly be using browsers on tablets and phones, where zooming is common. these users typically very much enjoy pixellation.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

as much as it hurts me to say it, use svg.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

unless you actually want pixels and not curves

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

canvas is a super great thing to target because people will increasingly be using browsers on tablets and phones, where zooming is common. these users typically very much enjoy pixellation.
that won't be a problem unless designers start putting their whole site experience in canvas (which they of course will)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

that won't be a problem unless designers start putting their whole site experience in canvas (which they of course will)

no, it will be a problem even before that assuming that you don't want your pretty diagram all lovely and pixellated

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Finished the demo and gave it to the company.
They told me it doesn't look Outlook enough.
Put some ripoff icons and colored the whole thing white and yellow.
Let's see what happens.

What are laziest fixes you did?

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

What are laziest fixes you did?

Labelled the bug a feature and revved the build to include it in documentation.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

wins32767 posted:

b and d are the same letter. I really don't care which side of the line the half-circle is on.

OBAMA BIN LOADIN posted:

Z is just an N rotated 90 degrees anti clockwise, what's the difference?????

holy poo poo you guys are getting tiny bug childed hard.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

vapid cutlery posted:

sounds like developing for an apple platform except that it happens even if you only use documented features and you have no lead time on updates

so apple + web development are the same then?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

no its not stop saying this. its a scripting language that was designed for opening and closing a browser window or maybe displaying an auto updating clock. its not a programing language.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

no its not stop saying this. its a scripting language that was designed for opening and closing a browser window or maybe displaying an auto updating clock. its not a programing language.

javascript is terrible

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Wheany posted:

holy poo poo you guys are getting tiny bug childed hard.

nope

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

so apple + web development are the same then?

this but windows 8 metro

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

yeah I mean its perfectly fine at what it's for, which is glue between your backend and the browser. anyone who uses it for more than that is an idiot and anyone who wastes time with something that "compiles" to javascript should be shot in the face

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

this but windows 8 metro

naw, c# always works the way it says it does.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

naw, c# always works the way it says it does.

yeah. Just saying, metro apps with JS and HTML5, how much closer to web dev can Windows 8 Metro get?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but only an idiot would write a metro app in html/js instead of c#/xaml. those folks get what they deserve.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

yeah but only an idiot would write a metro app. those folks get what they deserve.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
learning how ruby supports multiple character encodings in 1.9

so far it seems to be 'ignore encodings and treat it like bytes', 'if it only has ascii chars then the encoding is ignored', 'when you make symbols, they preserve the encoding, unless they look like ascii bytes', 'when you concatenate two strings, use the larger encoding, unless they are both ascii in which case use the left hand string's encoding'

tbc are you secretly matz?

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

tef if you keep outing yourself as a masochist people will soon start taking advantage of it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

learning how ruby supports multiple character encodings in 1.9

so far it seems to be 'ignore encodings and treat it like bytes', 'if it only has ascii chars then the encoding is ignored', 'when you make symbols, they preserve the encoding, unless they look like ascii bytes', 'when you concatenate two strings, use the larger encoding, unless they are both ascii in which case use the left hand string's encoding'

tbc are you secretly matz?

ascii and ascii accessories

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

homercles posted:

tef if you keep outing yourself as a masochist people will soon start taking advantage of it

i'm not a masochist, I don't use ruby. I'm just trying to find out how it works. It's more a foolish curiosity if anything.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i kind of lolled when python maintainers said 'okay we're going to get this absolutely right in py3, all strings are unicode, encodings/decodings are explicit'.

dusting their hands off, then suddenly whoops WSGI is totally broken and ugh i guess we'll add u'' back to the syntax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

For now I've tentatively printed out all your posts which I intend on being buried with. Namely because I have no intention of reading them while living.

Just kidding hohoho I like reading your posts when I crack out my copy of Knuth