Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Genpei Turtle posted:

Of course that's just with the SMT games; as dungeon crawlers in general go the worst SMT dungeon is like wading in the kiddie pool compared to the immense amounts of bullshit you'd have to get through in your typical Wizardry or Bard's Tale or the like.

I've always been kind of bewildered about why people find Wizardry-like games fun. A lot of the games inspired by them or with that sort of difficulty (Etrian Odyssey, SMT games, Dark Souls) feel like very good and well-designed games, but the original Wizardry-likes are just hot bullshit. The closest I've come to enjoying one of those types of games is Might & Magic 2, where once you know what you're doing a lot of the ludicrous bullshit is broken in the player's favor.

For example, in every actual Wizardry game I've played you roll for stats. Everybody's stats begin at 7-10 and you get 7-10 points to distribute, with stats being like AD&D style 5-20 ranges. Except you can actually rarely roll up to 60 bonus points. And people praised the developers when the newer games put in the option to one-button reroll without backing out of the character creation menu entirely, like that was some kind of space-age advancement.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
New Demon designs of SMT IV explained:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/12/shin-megami-tensei-ivs-new-demons-are-made-by-kamen-rider-creature-designers/

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012

I dig the new Kuebiko and Omoikane. Tokyo Gore Police was the poo poo.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

PunkBoy posted:

Wait, what's wrong with that line? It sounds like she's poorly trying to hide the fact that she wasn't expecting that and awkwardly tries to make it into a statement.

It has this awkward, loud inflection that just sounds terrible.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I've always been kind of bewildered about why people find Wizardry-like games fun. A lot of the games inspired by them or with that sort of difficulty (Etrian Odyssey, SMT games, Dark Souls) feel like very good and well-designed games, but the original Wizardry-likes are just hot bullshit. The closest I've come to enjoying one of those types of games is Might & Magic 2, where once you know what you're doing a lot of the ludicrous bullshit is broken in the player's favor.

Back in the old days it's all they had. :corsair:

e: Shin Megami Tensei IV stuff -
Someone elsewhere brought it to my attention, but mythologically speaking, Asmodeus and Raphael got into a slapfight so I guess we're seeing the seeds of the Law v Chaos conflict in SMTIV.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 13, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I kind of like the new Raphael, but I'm mostly left confused as to why they went in such an odd direction with it. It looks more like a Bionicle than an angel. But Bionicles are cool, so I'm alright with it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Robots look cooler + give the designers more room for creative designs than a winged human in a robe, doesn't seem like that odd a direction to me.

(Even if 'hey, the Lawful Guys are ROBOTS' is a little blatant)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The series was more sci-fi and cyberpunk than fantasy for some time. The vaguely robotic designs aren't anything new and I think have become more of a thing in the series as it struggles to keep to that tradition while still being "fantasy" to be a more typical RPG at a glance instead of doing the right thing and going to the full 80s kitch Shadowrun like SMT1 and 2 or the bio-mechanical casual malice of Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 13, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Omoikane's alright, but the others are pretty bleh.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Omoikane's alright, but the others are pretty bleh.

I liked Kuebiko a lot too, and new Raphael's an interesting aesthetic. Asmodeus is the only one I really have a problem with, his design's just too busy. I think this could be a whole lot worse, to be honest.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

It has this awkward, loud inflection that just sounds terrible.

Back in the old days it's all they had. :corsair:

I think you might have had to grow up with it to appreciate it. I can still fire up a Wizardry or Bard's Tale now and still enjoy the them as much as when I was a kid. They're the types of games you kinda have to go into them with the right mindset to get the most out of them.

e: regarding Wizardry rerolls they were there since you weren't supposed to make advanced characters right off the bat. The option was there if you REALLY insisted but the "right" way was to start out as a beginner class and switch up later. Course pretty much nobody did that though.

quote:

e: Shin Megami Tensei IV stuff -
Someone elsewhere brought it to my attention, but mythologically speaking, Asmodeus and Raphael got into a slapfight so I guess we're seeing the seeds of the Law v Chaos conflict in SMTIV.

If they end up major characters, but I can't help but think those designs look a little generic for that. I hope they somehow make ALL the paths and not just Neutral somewhat palatable this time but I'm not holding my breath.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Genpei Turtle posted:

If they end up major characters, but I can't help but think those designs look a little generic for that. I hope they somehow make ALL the paths and not just Neutral somewhat palatable this time but I'm not holding my breath.

Devil Survivor had the majority of paths being palatable to one degree or another. Let's see if they do it again.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

I kind of like the new Raphael, but I'm mostly left confused as to why they went in such an odd direction with it. It looks more like a Bionicle than an angel. But Bionicles are cool, so I'm alright with it.

Angels are robots with a cheap mask of humanity.

Besides, Robot Angels are A Thing in this series.

Genpei Turtle posted:

The only way they'd be able to achieve that is if they made the Neutral ending a crappy non-ending like the No Reason path in SMT3.

e: I'd just be happy if the characters don't get divided down neat little alignment lines. So, like, Jonathan can be Jonathan rather than Law Hero or whatever.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 13, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fungah! posted:

I liked Kuebiko a lot too, and new Raphael's an interesting aesthetic. Asmodeus is the only one I really have a problem with, his design's just too busy. I think this could be a whole lot worse, to be honest.

My problem is that they look like designs from RPGMaker. Incredibly busy all over, too many lines; Kaneko's art goes for that sleek, simple, creepy look that draws from the mythology behind the entities' name. None of these creatures look remotely like the names they are given, aside from possibly Omoikane.

It's definitely deflating my interest, although I will probably still buy the OST.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

For example, in every actual Wizardry game I've played you roll for stats. Everybody's stats begin at 7-10 and you get 7-10 points to distribute, with stats being like AD&D style 5-20 ranges. Except you can actually rarely roll up to 60 bonus points. And people praised the developers when the newer games put in the option to one-button reroll without backing out of the character creation menu entirely, like that was some kind of space-age advancement.

Wizardry 8 used a point buy system. Each class has minimum stats, and if you can't meet those stats, you just have negative points until you paid off your debt with levels. It was really the style at the time, and I don't get it either. It was supposed to be about just making an above average character and sticking with what you got, but 99% of people don't play like that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What was the most important stat in Persona 4? I was thinking academics and expression for the all important slinks that become unavailable.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Thinking of the Persona designs from 1-2, they often had that tokusatsu look to them, and having these new designs sorta fits for that.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Alteisen posted:

What was the most important stat in Persona 4? I was thinking academics and expression for the all important slinks that become unavailable.

Expression and Understanding for the Dojimas, aka the best S-links :colbert:

Knowledge for getting the best rewards from the exams. The one from the second set of exams (I think?) that gives +5 to all stats is like the equivalent of being 10 or more levels higher, it's pretty huge.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Who's ready for the bimonthly P5 status update? Famitsu's got you covered.

Takeuchi (Interviewer): What's next for the Persona series?
Hashino: Development of the next numbered title is underway.
Takeuchi: Seriously? What can you tell us about it?
Hashino: I can't say anything at this time, but please look forward to it.
Takeuchi: I am looking forward to it. Thank you very much.

The most important thing about this interview is that Hashino wears blue birkenstocks with socks:

Neeksy posted:

Thinking of the Persona designs from 1-2, they often had that tokusatsu look to them, and having these new designs sorta fits for that.

Some of them were even used in a cheap rear end live action tv show! :aaaaa:

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Okay, yeah. Strange Journey is a god damned ballbuster. Literally as soon as I step foot into Antilia B1 there's mobs that hit for 30 (my PC has 100 hp, my demons have like 50 tops.), and have AOE spells that hit for that much. I died twice really, really quick. I guess I need to grind? Unless i'm missing something.. My demons are really lovely, I fused a Knocker and Fairy for a Sandman but he's really frail too.

Any suggestions?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Cromlech posted:

Okay, yeah. Strange Journey is a god damned ballbuster. Literally as soon as I step foot into Antilia B1 there's mobs that hit for 30 (my PC has 100 hp, my demons have like 50 tops.), and have AOE spells that hit for that much. I died twice really, really quick. I guess I need to grind? Unless i'm missing something.. My demons are really lovely, I fused a Knocker and Fairy for a Sandman but he's really frail too.

Any suggestions?

This is a trait of most SMT games. You don't really have to grind that much, but make sure your levels are competitive because SMT uses level difference as a big part of the damage formula. Being a few levels below your opponent will make you take a lot more damage.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cromlech posted:

Any suggestions?

Strange Journey can be somewhat grindy, but not so much for stats as for getting better demons most of the time. I'd suggest grabbing another Pixie, Knocker, and a Tangata Manu. Pixie+Tangata will make Angel, which has healing (and Hama, but that's not so helpful at this point in the game) and might pick up Garu or Agi from the fusion. Knocker will give you Bufu and you might be able to make some useful things by fusing it with the demons from B1 Antlia.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

TurnipFritter posted:

Takeuchi (Interviewer): What's next for the Persona series?
Hashino: Development of the next numbered title is underway.
Takeuchi: Seriously? What can you tell us about it?
Hashino: I can't say anything at this time, but please look forward to it.
Takeuchi: I am looking forward to it. Thank you very much.

That must be the most polite developer interview ever.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atlus just sent out a Full trailer for Persona 4 the Golden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnt0JxytEpo

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I really like the new music there- anyone know if it appears ingame at all?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That's the new battle theme, seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwMIkVKBteU

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

Dehry posted:

Atlus just sent out a Full trailer for Persona 4 the Golden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnt0JxytEpo

Oh man, everyone in the comments is so mad because it's Vita only. Too bad for them.

DeathBySpoon posted:

I really like the new music there- anyone know if it appears ingame at all?

That's actually the new battle theme Time to Make History! Reach Out to the Truth is still in the game, apparently it only appears when you get a sneak attack

EDIT: Beaten, but at least you know about Reach now!

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Ok, I can definitely live with that- I really like the sound of it, and Reach Out will be a perfect complement to it. Less than a month away, time to get excited!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Reach Out to the Truth never seemed like a normal battle theme to me. The song feels like a mid boss theme more than a "here comes another weak enemy" song.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

JetGrind posted:

Oh man, everyone in the comments is so mad because it's Vita only. Too bad for them.

It's why a lot of Vita owners bought a Vita though

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dear God, those new designs for SMT4 are all absolutely terrible, with the exception of Kuebiko.

They're just extremely overdone. I'd expect this sort of terrible stuff from DeviantArt teenagers with no sense of design, yet here we are.

The only point I'm even remotely willing to give these abominations is that Raphael sort of has the "Be Not Afraid, I come in the name of the Lord!" aspect nailed down now, I guess. Though it's for all of the wrong reasons. ANd he already sort of had it with that old hairstyle.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
^^^^^ I for one hope that all the Archangels get new designs in IV. The old 'Crayola People + Wings' were both disappointing and boring especially compared to the other angels. (Seraph and Cherub in Strange Journey are so loving cool)

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's why a lot of Vita owners bought a Vita though

It's why I'm getting one. I mean, other games for the vita have to come out eventually, right?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 24, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am pretty excited about the Ys IV remake!

I may end up buying The Golden and sitting on it until that actually comes out before buying a Vita, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

^^^^^ I for one hope that all the Archangels get new designs in IV. The old 'Crayola People + Wings' were both disappointing and boring especially compared to the other angels. (Seraph and Cherub in Strange Journey are so loving cool)

It's why I'm getting one. I mean, other games for the vita have to come out eventually, right?

Hey man, I bought it for P4G, but being able to play MGS3 whenever I want is worth $300 alone.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MrAristocrates posted:

Hey man, I bought it for P4G, but being able to play MGS3 whenever I want is worth $300 alone.

Oh that's right, my PSN library can be ported onto it. P3P, P4G Patapon, and Final Fantasy IX seem big enough to get that new console. Can the Vita handle the PSN Ps2 games?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh that's right, my PSN library can be ported onto it. P3P, P4G Patapon, and Final Fantasy IX seem big enough to get that new console. Can the Vita handle the PSN Ps2 games?

Any PS2 games on the vita are going to be total conversions like P4G. The system itself cannot support PS2 games. Also, the button layout is horrible already for PS1 games. The L2/R2 and control stick buttons are mapped to the back touchpad.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nate RFB posted:

I am pretty excited about the Ys IV remake!

It's pretty cool that it's probably going to come to the West. Falcom has basically said that they're looking into bringing it stateside and their good buddy XSEED has localized like 3 Vita games already.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tallgeese posted:

Dear God, those new designs for SMT4 are all absolutely terrible, with the exception of Kuebiko.

They're just extremely overdone. I'd expect this sort of terrible stuff from DeviantArt teenagers with no sense of design, yet here we are.

The only point I'm even remotely willing to give these abominations is that Raphael sort of has the "Be Not Afraid, I come in the name of the Lord!" aspect nailed down now, I guess. Though it's for all of the wrong reasons. ANd he already sort of had it with that old hairstyle.

We don't agree often, but I'm glad we agree on this.

Re: P4's new battle theme... it's terrible. I hate that vocalist, I hate the way she pronounces English words, I hate the way she sings them. Ugh.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The new Chie... way bad. She's probably not a bad VA, but I prefer the more subdued Chie from the original.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
That new battle theme is just kinda boring. Like, it's just kinda bland and forgettable. Then again, it's not as downright grating as Reach Out To The Truth, so i guess it's still an improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Reach Out To The Truth still plays in P4G as I understand it, but only if you score a surprise attack on an enemy.