Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
No, ipad3 on ios6 is not yet jail broken, and upgrading (restoring) to ios6 will unjailbreak 5.x.

But if your phone has tethering enabled, you don't need to JB to tether to your iPad. Just turn on the wifi hotspot.

If your phone doesn't have tethering from sprint, it's the phone you need to JB, not the pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah

randyest posted:

So what's up with this? scam? http://redpois0n.net/

"Chrnic dev team?" :raise:

It looks like a scam to me. I wouldn't ever trust a "complete an offer, get a jailbreak/new ipad/1 million dollars" website

CrunkDog420
Nov 8, 2003

BLACK GOLD!

Attempted the new redsnow beta (includes cydia unlike early dev-only versions) on my ip4 today.

After multiple tries and even attempting it against a fresh install of ios 6 I've not been able to get cydia installed. I'm unsure if the exploit is actually working, It goes through all the motions: jb boot screens, pineapple logo, etc.

Anyone else having trouble?

Edit: okay nevermind I guess 10th time is the charm

CrunkDog420 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 15, 2012

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Good to know they're getting closer.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Aw gently caress. Months of not having my ipod 4g made me miss the window for 5.1.1 entirely. I guess there's no untethered jailbreak for 5.1 so should I just stay on 5.0 until six is jailbroken?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Det_no posted:

Aw gently caress. Months of not having my ipod 4g made me miss the window for 5.1.1 entirely. I guess there's no untethered jailbreak for 5.1 so should I just stay on 5.0 until six is jailbroken?

You can try the tethered 6.0 jailbreak.

For future reference; you can save your SHSH blobs at any time Apple is signing them, even if you don't physically have the device. Just load Tiny Umbrella and hit Save SHSH. You just need to enter the ECID in once.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Det_no posted:

Haha this actually happened to me too. Why did I put off updating my iPad for so long!

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

triplexpac posted:

Haha this actually happened to me too. Why did I put off updating my iPad for so long!

Me three :(

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Comex is no longer with Apple

https://mobile.twitter.com/comex/status/259032253877862400

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Because he forgot to respond to Apple's "we want to reup your employment" contract email...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/10/18/iphone-uber-hacker-comex-is-out-at-apple/

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

devilmouse posted:

Because he forgot to respond to Apple's "we want to reup your employment" contract email...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/10/18/iphone-uber-hacker-comex-is-out-at-apple/
That's pretty stupid and pretty funny at the same time.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Is the tethered 4 jb for 6 worth using? I just got my phone swapped out and I'm probably going to get a 5 pretty soon but even with the new 6.0 stuff I'm missing not using BiteSMS. Is it still throwing the white icons thing?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Or more likely they shutdown one of the best jailbreak devs for the low low price of a couple internships. I'm sure he's got a non-compete clause that prevents him from even loving USING a cell phone for the next 47 years.

UndyingShadow fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 19, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

He's so young that I'm guessing he wasn't as productive as they hoped, and then when he literally didn't read a contract offer, they just decided whatever

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

UndyingShadow posted:

I'm sure he's got a non-compete clause that prevents him from even loving USING a cell phone for the next 47 years.

Yeah... No.

No.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Feenix posted:

Yeah... No.

No.
Obviously it was a joke/exaggeration. He most certainly has some sort of clause that doesn't allow him to work on a jailbreak for any version of iOS that contains code that he's worked on / seen which will likely last for years.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wario In Real Life posted:

Obviously it was a joke/exaggeration. He most certainly has some sort of clause that doesn't allow him to work on a jailbreak for any version of iOS that contains code that he's worked on / seen which will likely last for years.
Such a clause would be 100% meaningless and unenforceable even if he were to sign it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wario In Real Life posted:

With all due respect what the gently caress are you talking about?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Feenix posted:

With all due respect what the gently caress are you talking about?
Yeah... No.

No.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuuGje9EdU8

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hahaa apparently he's interested in cracking the Wii U though! :waycool:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

randyest posted:

Such a clause would be 100% meaningless and unenforceable even if he were to sign it.

Proving such requires him to ante up and deal with court, which is of course the entire reason clauses like that still get put in contracts.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Kickstarter: Fund Comex's legal battle with Apple! (Stretch goal: jailbreak)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the yeti posted:

Proving such requires him to ante up and deal with court, which is of course the entire reason clauses like that still get put in contracts.
No it doesn't and no it isn't. That's exactly the opposite of the way it works. And in this case it works even more oppositely.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I might have a problem but i'm not sure, maybe you guys can help. I'm currently in colombia and had my ipod 3rd gen repaired by 'a guy in a shop', but the guy screwed it up (or couldnt fix it) and just gave me a (probably stolen) one. It seems to be working fine, i can down load and use apps etc, but i know its jail broken as it has cydia and installous.

I want to just borrow a computer with itunes and do a total reset and restall, but im worried that he's given me a 2nd gen jail broken one and if inreset ill be stuck with 4.2.1 and not be able to use most apps. Im currently travelling and need to use skype, safari for communicating, banking finding information etc.

The back of it says its Model A1318, and the setting general about says model MC008LL. Ive been warned that these guys can be dodgy and not to trust them. What am I looking at here and should I just do a total reset? I dont need this thing to be jailbroken.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

A quick google shows it's probably a 3rd gen.

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=A1318

What needed fixing and why are you so eager to do an immediate reset?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah i found that, I'm worried that he's done something to it make it look 3rd gen, and if i reset ill have to rejail break it and without my own computer that will be really hard as i have no idea about this stuff.

Also i've heard about people getting bank details from jb'd phones and am worried he's done some sort of technowizardry and will be able to get remote access to my poo poo (i really have no idea about this). I also want to put some music on this as there are currently 8 terrible songs on it and i'm under the impression if i connect to someone elses computer to grab their music something might happen.

I want to reset it just so i have the feeling of having a clean machine.

Basicly I just want to onow that a) i do in fact have a 3rd gen machine and b) I'm not exposing my self to any risks and there's nothing bad that will happen if i reset/connect to a computer and load uP some music.

Edit: sorry, this is a totally new machine to me. The old one wouldn't charge, and after a week of screwing around the guy just said he couldnt change the port, i wouldn't accept a 2nd gen processor and he just gave me this machine instead of putting its guts into my shell. There was a bunch of me being told to 'mas tarde mas tarde'. I should have said 'I got a 2nd hand ipod touch from a guy I dont trust'.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 24, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Nill posted:

What needed fixing and why are you so eager to do an immediate reset?

If I had an iOS device with Installous on it's I'd want it scrubbed clean as well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'd say go ahead and nuke it. The MC008LL identifier you pulled up should be really difficult to fake.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

mewse posted:

I'd say go ahead and nuke it. The MC008LL identifier you pulled up should be really difficult to fake.

Your avatar looks like it knows what ots talking about. Nuke ahoy, I'll post back here when/if i find a sucker who'll let me use their comp.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Am I the only one that thinks this seems unreasonably paranoid? It's an idevice, not an ATM with a windows backend in a chinese convenience store.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zigmidge posted:

Am I the only one that thinks this seems unreasonably paranoid? It's an idevice, not an ATM with a windows backend in a chinese convenience store.

Im paranoid because i'm ignorant on the subject and don't know if i should be paranoid or not. But for reference last night on the highway into town guerrillas blew up an armoured truck 15 vehicles in front of the mini bus i was in and this morning a homeless guy stabbed me with a stick for no reason. I've found it's best to be unreasonably suspicious of everything.

Edit: Thanks TACD, looks 3rd gen.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 25, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Plug the serial number in at Apple's support page and it'll tell you what it is.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

After upgrading to iOS 6 and jailbreaking I got BiteSMS back. I only have one problem. For whatever reason facebook sync went nuts on my address book and I have a million useless contacts. I unchecked the fb part in the phone app but BiteSMS is pulling up every person named "Steve" when I type it in.

Outside of manually deleting it how do I kill all the fb contacts?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I'm not exactly sure if this would work so I thought I would ask.

I just got a refurb 16GB iPad 3 today and it is running iOS 5.1. According to this page, I need to be running 5.1.1 to jailbreak it. I'm downloading the 5.1.1 ipsw from a site currently.

Will I be able to force this thing to update to the 5.1.1 ispw without it going to 6.0?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Venkmanologist posted:

I'm not exactly sure if this would work so I thought I would ask.

I just got a refurb 16GB iPad 3 today and it is running iOS 5.1. According to this page, I need to be running 5.1.1 to jailbreak it. I'm downloading the 5.1.1 ipsw from a site currently.

Will I be able to force this thing to update to the 5.1.1 ispw without it going to 6.0?

Use TinyUmbrella to see which versions are still being signed. If they aren't signing 5.1.1 for ipad 3 then you are basically hooped

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

mewse posted:

Use TinyUmbrella to see which versions are still being signed. If they aren't signing 5.1.1 for ipad 3 then you are basically hooped

Balls. It doesn't look like it.

Since thats the case, I might as well update to 6.0? There isn't any hope of a jailbreak ever coming for 5.1, right?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Venkmanologist posted:

Since thats the case, I might as well update to 6.0? There isn't any hope of a jailbreak ever coming for 5.1, right?

I think that site you linked is probably wrong and it should be possible to jailbreak 5.1 with redsn0w.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Venkmanologist posted:

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=5.1&device=ipad3

Edit: poo poo I just looked at more closely and it says 5.1.1 even though I chose 5.1. Sorry.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

mewse posted:

I think that site you linked is probably wrong and it should be possible to jailbreak 5.1 with redsn0w.

Downloaded redsn0w. It recognizes my iPad but the 'jailbreak' button is grayed out. Also the wikipedia entry on iOS jailbreaking says there is nothing available for me.

Denim Dude posted:

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=5.1&device=ipad3

Edit: poo poo I just looked at more closely and it says 5.1.1 even though I chose 5.1. Sorry.

Oh well, thanks for checking.

I guess I'll dive into iOS 6 then.

• Locked thread