Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Start by turning off all power to your house. If that fixes it, turn on one cricuit at a time until you find the noise maker. Othewise, it's either in your radio, or it's time to discover the joy of radio direction finding as you hunt down the source.

You have a Kenwood TS-570S, right? I haven't heard complaints about that radio myself.

Edit: Wait a minute, have you tried switching to AM or FM mode? We get a bit of illegal CB operation in the 10 meter band.

Vir fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Random question: Does anyone know where I might be able to find a used replacement for my VX-8R's factory rubber duck antenna? I had that and a Diamond SRH940 for it and somehow managed to lose both of them over the last couple of months. Don't know if there's a preferred forum or site for that sort of thing or what.

TheNaeblis
Jul 20, 2012

Gonna assume the 8r is a SMA like most. I got a decent one off ebay for my FT-60 awhile back. Gigaparts would be a likely spot to look. The below is similar to the one i have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nagoya-...=item4608e42fa6

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Vir posted:

Start by turning off all power to your house. If that fixes it, turn on one cricuit at a time until you find the noise maker. Othewise, it's either in your radio, or it's time to discover the joy of radio direction finding as you hunt down the source.

You have a Kenwood TS-570S, right? I haven't heard complaints about that radio myself.

Edit: Wait a minute, have you tried switching to AM or FM mode? We get a bit of illegal CB operation in the 10 meter band.

It's not just on 10m, but I can't remember if it's also on AM.

I'll try the electrical thing, my house is certainly noisy with all my computers and the wifi. I used to get the same thing at my old place, a condo where I kept the radio pretty far from other electrical stuff. Would trying it without the antenna plugged in help?

I should also try separating it better from the power supply. Seems like I always need to run the coax past the power supply...

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
So the normal amateur radio is a half-duplex, single channel radio (with the exception of the dual/quad bands with cross band repeat which would allow full duplex communication). Are there any amateur programs out there are act as a trunking system (if I understand trunking correctly) wherein a piece of software will find an available frequency in the correct band and through DTMF or some other selective calling feature be transmitted to specific radios? I know that part of ham radio is transparency and not having anything going on outside of the public ear but is there some type of system that "finds" the other radio you're looking for as opposed to pre-arranging a frequency to contact someone on? I'm sure I'm getting something wrong here so feel free to correct me.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Hummer Driving human being posted:

So the normal amateur radio is a half-duplex, single channel radio (with the exception of the dual/quad bands with cross band repeat which would allow full duplex communication).
Radio to radio would be simplex, repeaters would be half duplex.
Full duplex is when both sides can talk at the the same time. Like the telephone.

Are there any amateur programs out there are act as a trunking system (if I understand trunking correctly) wherein a piece of software will find an available frequency in the correct band and through DTMF or some other selective calling feature be transmitted to specific radios? I know that part of ham radio is transparency and not having anything going on outside of the public ear but is there some type of system that "finds" the other radio you're looking for as opposed to pre-arranging a frequency to contact someone on? I'm sure I'm getting something wrong here so feel free to correct me.
That sounds about like what they're doing with DSTAR. Although I don't know the specifics on how that works because I don't have an expensive 2m radio.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Finally got my 40m loop up... Now to see if I can make any contacts.....

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Is the FT-7900R any good? Reviews on eHam seem relatively positive.

Local Ham shop has it at 327.00, comes with an antenna, and it looks like there's a $20 Yaesu rebate right now until Halloween. Is $307 a good deal for this rig?

Otherwise, I was considering the Kenwood TM-V71A to throw in my Mazda3 to use for skywarn next spring.

Edit: hamradio.com has it for 285 or so after rebate, hmm...

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010079

manero fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 25, 2012

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
The NHC has activated the Hurricane Net in honor of Hurricane Sandy. Here's where you can listen. There hasn't been much activity so far, since the power's out in Jamaica.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 29, 2012

LtDan
May 1, 2004

manero posted:

Is the FT-7900R any good? Reviews on eHam seem relatively positive.

Local Ham shop has it at 327.00, comes with an antenna, and it looks like there's a $20 Yaesu rebate right now until Halloween. Is $307 a good deal for this rig?

Otherwise, I was considering the Kenwood TM-V71A to throw in my Mazda3 to use for skywarn next spring.

Edit: hamradio.com has it for 285 or so after rebate, hmm...

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010079

I like my FT-7900R, I've had it for over a year with no issues. With that said, I don't do anything too crazy with it other than listening to a local greybeard repeater and talking to some guys on simplex.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Looking at getting my license and a cheap radio for now, any recommendations in the sub-$200 range?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The Hurricane Watch Net is going to activate again for testing purposes tonight in anticipation of Sandy hitting the continental US.

quote:

The Hurricane Watch Net plans to active today, Sunday, October 28th at 5:00 PM EDT (2100 UTC) on our net frequency 14.325.00 MHz, as well as 7.268 MHz and 3.950 Mhz.  Our plans are to line up reporting stations in advance of our Monday and Tuesday net activations.  During our Sunday activation, we will welcome EMA's, EOC's, and other official government stations, as well as Red Cross Centers, Salvation Army Shelters, and other Emergency Shelters, to check their HF equipment in preparation for Sandy's arrival.
As mentioned earlier on this page, you can also listen online.

Are there any amateur programs out there are act as a trunking system (if I understand trunking correctly) wherein a piece of software will find an available frequency in the correct band and through DTMF or some other selective calling feature be transmitted to specific radios?
On the digital side, DSTAR has been mentioned, but there's also work going on to make the APRS beacon frequency also serve as a Digital Selective Calling frequency for digital modes - this with the full blessing of Bob Bruninga, the developer of APRS.

I don't think there's a proper DSC frequency for analog talk in the amateur service, like there is in the maritime VHF service. I think it's both legally and technically possible to do it, but amateur radio is not really supposed to be like a phone service. Maritime VHF DSC is mostly for setting up routine business calls, or for emergency alerting. Amateur radio is more like the days of party lines and continuous monitoring of calling channels.

[Edit: I forgot about HFlink - there's actually an active system of DSC that they call ALE on HF. It has some differences to marine DSC or VHF/UHF trunking though.]

There's something called Digital Code Squelch (the same as Digital Private Line®), which is sort of an advancement of regular repeater tones. If you agree on who sets their radios to which code, you can set your radio to monitor a simplex frequency or scan list, and it will only break squelch when the tone is received. It's not like Digital Selective Calling though, in that it doesn't target an individual recipient and it doesn't include a "working frequency" that you QSY to handle the data.

Yaesu has something they call "EPCS" where you can cause a particular HT to ring on the reception of a pair of repeater tones. I don't think it's widely used.

GWBBQ posted:

I was also going to ask about that ARG. Here's a spectrogram of the sound. Look familiar to anyone?

It looks like repeating pattern - some kind of art. I can't say I would know how to extract any information from it.

Geared Hub posted:

Anyone have experience with that? Raising an antenna via balloon or blimp?
I haven't done it myself, but it's been done many times - even as far back as the pioneering age of radio. On the Kon Tiki voyage they had a problem with the parrot attacking the balloon, if I recall correctly.

Vir fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 6, 2012

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just saw that the next exam in my area is in two weeks. I best get studying.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

While listening to the Hurricane Net tonight I got to hear one greybeard describe Windows 7 as a "flop" and that Windows 8 will be "better than Apple" and will run "on iPods".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nmfree posted:

While listening to the Hurricane Net tonight I got to hear one greybeard describe Windows 7 as a "flop" and that Windows 8 will be "better than Apple" and will run "on iPods".

Amateur radio: We may not know poo poo about anything developed after 1975, but by god we'll speak authoritatively about it. drat no-code extras talking sass...

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

nmfree posted:

On mine, a guy was talking (very slowly) about he was going to eat minidogs out of a can, and then mix it with canned chili. He was very excited about it.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The Hurricane Watch Net is most exciting when a hurricane passes the Carribean really, since those guys typically have no other way to report the weather once phones and internet goes down. When it's over the continental US, I'd bet the local repeaters are have more local information - Skywarn, shelter traffic etc. In Long Island they have a D-Star network with the repeaters paid for by a government grant.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Vir posted:

The Hurricane Watch Net is most exciting when a hurricane passes the Carribean really, since those guys typically have no other way to report the weather once phones and internet goes down. When it's over the continental US, I'd bet the local repeaters are have more local information - Skywarn, shelter traffic etc. In Long Island they have a D-Star network with the repeaters paid for by a government grant.

The skywarn stuff was actually kind of interesting since my local repeater is the skywarn net. Anyone know how to go about getting involved?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Check here: http://skywarn.org/skywarn-training/
The local National Weather Service people listed there hold annual training classes for learning how to accurately report the weather, as well as weather safety and traffic safety. Those classes are mandatory for being considered a "trained spotter". They don't encourage storm chasing by the way, just observing from safety.

SiB
May 6, 2005
They are talking about Ham radio in the weather thread if someone wants to give out some info...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460336&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=320

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

There's also a new disaster preparedness thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
What's the rule on buy/sell/trade in here? I know some subforums have separate-from-SA-Mart threads, like AI.....didn't want to visit kitty jail or anything, but I'm tearing down the station and going QRT and would rather sell this gear to hamgoons that want it than random flippers on eBay.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

What's the rule on buy/sell/trade in here? I know some subforums have separate-from-SA-Mart threads, like AI.....didn't want to visit kitty jail or anything, but I'm tearing down the station and going QRT and would rather sell this gear to hamgoons that want it than random flippers on eBay.

Oh man :( How come?!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Gosh, where do I start. I realized that I enjoy listening more than I enjoy talking, and especially over the past four years, the airwaves have generally gotten a lot more racist and angry, and I don't have anything that I want to talk about with people like that. I don't have anything in common with the 60+ gout crowd, and I'm in my early 30s with no kids so it would be creepy for me to do the "elmer teenagers and teach them about radio" thing.

I kept trying to gravitate towards the techier side, the guys that are into radio but not all MY SPARK GAP TRANSMITTER, the ones that like new tech - but 30 meters really just breaks down to a slow chatroom where people have macro'd conversations. And VHF/UHF digital guys are just obsessed with APRS, which I could care less about.

I was really into satellite for a while, but that's even more low-content. Technologically it's pretty neat, but once you've made a dozen contacts on the LEO sats, there isn't really much more excitement other than trying to fill out a grid square map. Plus, satellite guys are starting to get into black-box junk like "lol, let's put this android phone in a cubesat!" which kind of grates on me.

I will definitely get back into radio if the FCC starts enforcing more especially on 75 and 40 meters, or if we get a HEO sat like ol' OSCAR 13. I sadly don't think that's ever going to happen, though. I'm going to pack the HF rig and a 2 meter mobile away, and sell everything else. I've put in my 21 years, done all that I can do on a shoestring budget without 10 acres of hilltop, and am ready to move on full-time to embedded and digital development and tinkering.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 1, 2012

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Gosh, where do I start...

I know how you feel. I'm 25, so that makes me nearly the youngest license in the county. I have nearly nothing in common with the other operators, so I feel awkward talking to them. To top it off, there is ZERO activity until 8PM, when the check-in net clicks on.

The only things down here that seem to be moving is DSTAR, but I can't afford to even look at those radios.

I'm determined to get my General as soon as I can get something other than a used 2M rig. Maybe I'll have more fun once I can talk out of the county? (Anybody looking to "throw away" a radio to a grateful goon?)

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

josiahgould posted:

I know how you feel. I'm 25, so that makes me nearly the youngest license in the county. I have nearly nothing in common with the other operators, so I feel awkward talking to them. To top it off, there is ZERO activity until 8PM, when the check-in net clicks on.

The only things down here that seem to be moving is DSTAR, but I can't afford to even look at those radios.

I'm determined to get my General as soon as I can get something other than a used 2M rig. Maybe I'll have more fun once I can talk out of the county? (Anybody looking to "throw away" a radio to a grateful goon?)

Ditto. :smith::respek::smith: I'm 24 and I got my technician earlier this year, and I'm taking class for my general.
I'm broke though so I still don't have a radio. :( I'm saving up for something that can operate on 2M, hopefully by Christmas.
I'd love to buy from goons, so I'd love it if we could buy/sell here. I need a rig!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I haven't been licensed long but, I am sort of in the same situation, I went out and bought equipment, and I can't really operate from at an apartment, although I've drat well tried.

I'm more into computers and tech than electronics, and that's one thing I find difficult with this hobby. I don't want to talk about radios while I'm on the radio, and the guys that are on the radio, well, many of them have poor social skills.

There's some politics driven discussion, that's about it. The racist stuff comes out in person, but, where I grew up and where I am now, much of it isn't so much racism as they're just in neighborhoods that have gone to poo poo, and don't like what they see. I didn't grow up there so I can't really talk about that on the radio either.

For my piece, I've been working with a local club on their repeater system and learning how that all works. I have added an Allstar Link node, and an Echolink node. Now I've run into the IRLP/"It's Radio" crowd while getting into it. People are very opinionated in this hobby, and they let that show. I've kinda stopped putting up with the guff and pointless comments. I'm supposed to give a presentation tomorrow at our club's membership meeting RE: our repeater, and where we'd like to go as a club, and I fully expect a bunch of blank stares and emails later about how "ham radio is dead" or "We don't need computers". Since I'm not made of money and sort of live this hobby through the club, that's discouraging.

[quote="angrytech"]2m[/angrytech]

If 2 meters is alive where you are, you can grab Chinese HT for anywhere between $50 and $100. Maybe less if you run into people who bought them and don't have the patience to get into it. 2m mobiles are getting pretty cheap, but, people often don't let them go at hamfests cheap enough considering you don't know what they've been through and what new VHF radios can go for nowadays. As for a base though, height is might with VHF, so if you're not going to get the antenna up anyways, before you get all into it and get disappointed I would grab the HT and go. You can always turn it into a APRS tracker or learn Chinese from it later.

E: Also!

290, etc, what happened to AG0ON? We can still revive the net. I can RF it on my side with my repeater, we can certainly try and get as many 2M goons either setup with how to do an echolink/allstar node , or help find an enabled repeater. If we can get that going we could just make it whitelist/conf and have a ham echolink chat for goons only, but on radio.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Partycat posted:

E: Also!

290, etc, what happened to AG0ON? We can still revive the net. I can RF it on my side with my repeater, we can certainly try and get as many 2M goons either setup with how to do an echolink/allstar node , or help find an enabled repeater. If we can get that going we could just make it whitelist/conf and have a ham echolink chat for goons only, but on radio.

I'm in!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

josiahgould posted:

To top it off, there is ZERO activity until 8PM, when the check-in net clicks on.

And then everybody checks in, and there's no traffic, and they spend 30 minutes playing the drat Amateur Radio Newsline.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Pham Nuwen posted:

And then everybody checks in, and there's no traffic, and they spend 30 minutes playing the drat Amateur Radio Newsline.

I wouldn't even mind the radio newsline, my net is all Pembroke spam poo poo handled as if we are professionals.

I'm a net controller.

It's quite demoralizing.

SiB
May 6, 2005
I have Echolink and IRLP close by so ill play.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Hey I like Newsline. I listen to the podcast every week. Playing it on the repeater should hopefully stimulate some interesting discussion, but I guess it depends on where you are.

290, don't let your license lapse. Especially those microwave frequencies might become handy when you play around with embedded stuff.

One of the things I had looked forward to was using a Pacsat BBS - a BBS on a satellite. Last I checked there aren't any that work properly right now, but there's at least one Australian and one Norwegian cube sat in development that are supposted to have Pacsat BBS on board. Hopefully they're not getting up on the ISS, because that gives them a too low inclination to use here in the north.

Vir posted:

I don't think there's a proper DSC frequency for analog talk in the amateur service, like there is in the maritime VHF service.
(...)
This post was focused on VHF and UHF; what I said is correct about VHF and UHF, but I forgot about the HFlink people. They do selective calling and Automatic Link Estabilshment on HF. http://hflink.com/automaticlinkestablishment/

Vir fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 6, 2012

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
I had that same problem. I went from nothing to extra in one test session, got a radio that I could use in my apartment, and then the disappointment began. Everyone was easily more than twice my age and things tended a bit racist. I tried to be a good sport and hang out, but when they wanted to go get Steak n' Shake for dinner at 4:30pm, they were too close to a caricature of themselves.

Partycat posted:

I'm more into computers and tech than electronics, and that's one thing I find difficult with this hobby. I don't want to talk about radios while I'm on the radio, and the guys that are on the radio, well, many of them have poor social skills.

Also this! How long can you go on with "I'm talking to you on the radio!" "You're on the radio too? What kind of radio?" and repeat.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Partycat posted:

This was when I discovered digital modes. I haven't used my own voice to talk to others on my radios for nearly 3 years now. I picked up a SignaLink USB and a USB-to-serial cable to control my radio and have used PSK31, RTTY and JT65 to talk to people as far east as the US east coast, as far south as Cuba (though I've HEARD people from South America), as far north as Alaska, as far west as Russia and tons of places in between. I'm in Portland, OR, my radio only puts out 5 Watts, my antenna is a piece of wire strung up 6ft above my ground-level porch, and I'm restricted to the 10m band because I only have a Tech license. I've been very impressed. With a proper antenna, a few more Watts and a license that lets me use the other bands, I'd never run out of signals to respond to and none of them want to talk for 45 minutes about "putting the White back in the White House" or anything.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Gonna crosspost this from the Shortwave thread:

quote:

The Mighty KBC tests 9,450 kHz and will send a digital message this weekend
Posted on November 6, 2012 by Thomas

KBC Propagation Map (Source: The Mighty KBC)
This Sunday, from 00:00-02:00 UTC, The Mighty KBC will again broadcast 2 hours of music on the 31 meter band. This time, they will be testing on 9,450 kHz to avoid adjacent signal interference heard on 9,500 kHz last week.

They will also broadcast a special digital message at 01:30 and then again prior to the end of their broadcast. They have sent full details about the broadcast in a press release (below). Note that though the mode is different, the procedure of decoding the digital message is similar to the one WBCQ broadcast this year. We published a short primer on decoding the WBCQ message in May.

Here are the details on Sunday’s broadcast and how to decode the QPSK125 message:

(Source: The Might KBC)

The Mighty KBC will test to the USA on Sunday 11 November 2012 00.00 – 02.00 UTC on 9450 kHz!

Please join the Mighty KBC for a test of a digital text sent via a shortwave broadcast transmitter. This will take place during the next transmission to North America, Sunday 0000-0200 UTC, at approximately 0130 and just before the end of the broadcast at 0200.

All you need is a basic shortwave receiver (no SSB mode is necessary), and a basic personal computer. Using a patch cord, you will feed the audio out of the earphone jack (or line out) of your radio into the microphone jack of your PC. If you don’t have a patch cord, you can try placing the speaker of your radio close to the built-in microphone of a laptop PC.

You will also need software. There are several freeware or shareware programs used by the amateur radio community that decode digital text modes. One is FLDIGI, available from http://www.w1hkj.com.

After installing FLDIGI, pull down the Configure menu, then click Sound Card, and select the soundcard your PC is using.

You might also have to adjust your audio settings. In Windows 7, left click twice on the speaker icon in the lower right of PC display, then click Options, then click Properties, then click Recording, then click the input that works. Other operating systems will have different procedures. A good way to test your audio settings is to try to decode the radio amateurs using the PSK31 mode on 14070 kHz.

For the test digital text transmissions on Sunday, The Mighty KBC will be using the QPSK125 mode. On your software, your cursor should be centered on 1500 Hertz, where you will see the “waterfall” of the QPSK125 signal. You can decode the transmission while you receive it, or record the transmission and decode from the recording. The latter will give you more opportunities to perfect the technique.

The test to be transmitted will be a formatted html file. Copy it from <html> to (and including) </html>, and paste it to a text editor (such as Notepad in Windows). Save the file, using any file name, with the suffix .htm or .html. Then open the file in any web browser. If all goes well, this might be the first time you receive a shortwave radio broadcast in color!

In the future, an app will be developed to make this process simpler!

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I have some old antennas my grandpa gave me for VHF, UHF and so on use, I need to find mounting brackets for them, so I wonder if anyone here can tell me what they're called and possibly who supplies them?

First is this:

It's an Allgon brand antenna, I have a couple of them for 2m and NMT 450 MHz. The screw mount is similar to some eBay brand magnetic mount antennas but much thicker. I measured the internal diameter at 4.7 mm, so the screws are probably 4.5 mm or 5 mm.

The other is this, which is similar to some old AM car antenna mounts I remember seeing once, inner diameter around 7 mm, one of them had a wing-nut attached that was 6 mm so it probably screws into that. Outer diameter of the ring is 2 cm. The antennas are apparently from a danish company called Scan Antennas.

I'd prefer to buy on eBay or another site that offers cheap shipping to Norway.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I don't know about the ball type in the second picture, but the top one is probably a 3/8 inch 24 tpi standard mount. Any truck stop should have a mount/cable assembly for sale that would fit that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Slight update: I got a thoroughly unexpected raise at work, and there's much less crunch to unload my gear.

I'm going to give the IC-271 and IC-475 a good thorough cleaning, box them up and sit on them for a while. In a year to two, I will be in the Denver area and hopefully should be in a slightly more interesting VHF/UHF environment. Still QRT, but less bitter after chewing on it for a bit.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
The greybeards inform me that the second picture I posted is called a DV mount.

I'm still studying for my exam, I was thinking a quiz with the Q-codes might be helpful, so for example it would show QRM and ask me what it means in a multiple choice fashion.

Does anyone know of a quiz like that? If not I'll have to write my own like I did to learn the phonetic alphabet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

longview posted:

The greybeards inform me that the second picture I posted is called a DV mount.

I'm still studying for my exam, I was thinking a quiz with the Q-codes might be helpful, so for example it would show QRM and ask me what it means in a multiple choice fashion.

Does anyone know of a quiz like that? If not I'll have to write my own like I did to learn the phonetic alphabet.

Are you studying for the Tech exam? I think there is only 1 or 2 questions involving q codes. Still good to know them though.