Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I was just reading Iwata's shareholders briefing and he even mentions that the online take-up rate is substantially lower in Europe/Australia than other territories. Hopefully someone figures out that the lack of services like Netflix, Hulu, all their weird junk Japan gets, etc is a big part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

They're going to announce that the whole microphone thing was just mistranslation and the Pad mic works just fine, and the console has universal voice chat as anything modern should.

Mario and Nintendo Land also have online play.

Oh, a man can dream that Nintendo has any level of competence.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Rake Arms posted:

Somebody from IGN tweeted that there would be some significant Wii U news tomorrow, but not from Nintendo Direct. They said Wii U might finally have it's "system selling" game, but then backpedaled and said it wouldn't be a new game, but new info on an already announced game. I guess we'll know tomorrow.
"Already announced" doesn't neccesarily mean 'game with confirmed launch date'. News on Super Smash Bros 4, please :pray:

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Wouldn't it be pretty difficult to get NSMB actually playable online? Playable, not just online.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Chaltab posted:

"Already announced" doesn't neccesarily mean 'game with confirmed launch date'. News on Super Smash Bros 4, please :pray:

It could be that they just show new stuff for Pikmin 3 and it looks amazing or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe they're gonna announce unlockable classic games in Nintendo Land.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm playing through - trying to finish - Super Mario Sunshine. 100 coins per level is bad enough (which loving episode to pick???), but there are 240 blue coins throughout the game with zero accountability. What the hell, Nintendo. If the next 3D Mario has anything as asinine, I will cry.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'm playing through - trying to finish - Super Mario Sunshine. 100 coins per level is bad enough (which loving episode to pick???), but there are 240 blue coins throughout the game with zero accountability. What the hell, Nintendo. If the next 3D Mario has anything as asinine, I will cry.

The later 3D Mario games go in the complete opposite direction, so you have nothing to worry about in that regard.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Not sure what Mario Sunshine has to do with the Wii U, but since it's been brought up, I have to imagine if Nintendo gave it a proper upscale for the U it would look incredible.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

^^^Did they ever follow through with that "3D Classics" thing for 3DS? I'd happily support "HD Classics" on the Wii U eShop.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Mario Galaxy 1&2 perfected the collectathon platformer, in my opinion. You can pretty handily keep track of what's left for you to get.

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 25, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Liam Acerbus posted:

Wouldn't it be pretty difficult to get NSMB actually playable online? Playable, not just online.

Why would it be difficult? There are multiplayer platforms already out. One example is Spelunker HD.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Liam Acerbus posted:

Not really, Nintendo hasn't had any issues with netcode in any recent online games I can think of. If a players ping is atrocious I can see it causing issues but theres only so much they can do on that front. Nintendo's real problem to date is the social parts of online gaming.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Liam Acerbus posted:

Not really. Their games had pretty good online, like Mario Kart for instance. It's their stance on online play that's prevented Mario platformers from having online.

Rake Arms posted:

Mario Galaxy 1&2 perfected the collectathon platformer, in my opinion. You can pretty handily keep track of what's left for you to get.

What about them were collectathons again? The purple coins levels, yes, but if you're talking about the Power Stars, they're more like level goals rather than actual objects to collect.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

What about them were collectathons again? The purple coins levels, yes, but if you're talking about the Power Stars, they're more like level goals rather than actual objects to collect.

Because the games require x stars to progress quite often, which usually means revisiting a previous level to find a new star. I agree that it doesn't feel like a typical collectathon (except the green stars in 2), but that's why they're so good. Mario Galaxy 2 is pretty much the "perfect" Mario game. Anyone can pick it up and play it for short or long sessions, it has simple controls on a simple controller, and there's always something to do right in front of you. It's never unclear what you should be doing to progress.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rake Arms posted:

^^^Did they ever follow through with that "3D Classics" thing for 3DS? I'd happily support "HD Classics" on the Wii U eShop.
Not sure what they originally announced, but yeah there's 3D Classics for download on the eShop, so I've been hoping for HD Classics or whatever for Wii U too. Here's one of the more :psyduck: choices they've chosen for the 3D conversion: Urban Champion.

For some new news, apparently Tekken's Japanese site mentions a small discount for the digital download, 6280 vs 6980 yen, as well as size, 16.7GB (around the same as the PS3 version according to NeoGAF). That works out to be right around 10% off, no clue if that has anything to do with the Nintendo Network Premium deal you get (I think that was for some sort of credit back rather than a discount).

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Rake Arms posted:

Because the games require x stars to progress quite often, which usually means revisiting a previous level to find a new star. I agree that it doesn't feel like a typical collectathon (except the green stars in 2), but that's why they're so good. Mario Galaxy 2 is pretty much the "perfect" Mario game. Anyone can pick it up and play it for short or long sessions, it has simple controls on a simple controller, and there's always something to do right in front of you. It's never unclear what you should be doing to progress.

The Galaxy games had some hidden stars in quite a few levels.

Finding some of those on accident were awesome the first time I played through, because if I recall correctly you don't know they exist until you finish the level otherwise.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Some more fuel for the NFS Most Wanted fire, from Nintendo's briefing (at least at the time of this post in case they change it):

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Still need to get that last drat star in Galaxy 2, having to go through the entire Grand Master Galaxy without getting hit by anything. I tend to make it to the Koopa section and start panicking and promptly die.

One star away from total victory :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Not seeing Dragon Quest X on that list for the US is extremely discouraging. :negative:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Apparently there's some NDirects today. The japanese one is showing off MH3U.

Hope there's some clarification on the online today.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

FPzero posted:

Go search "smw hack" on youtube. You will find tons and tons of custom made mario levels people make using the super-accessible editor, Lunar Magic. 99% are not very good.

I've been making these levels four going on five years now and I've only just started making levels that I think could be considered well-designed. An editor would be awesome, but it's incredibly hard to produce Nintendo-quality levels.

It's even telling when Media Molecule puts together a "Best Of" user level pack for LittleBigPlanet, and it's all garbage still... designing good levels is tough.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Monster Hunter 3G HD will have online multiplayer, and it will be free in Japan.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Monster Hunter 3G HD will have online multiplayer, and it will be free in Japan.

I hope they do international teaming, so I can see how awful I really am compared to the bitter Japanese monster hunting veterans.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Was there any question as to whether it'd be free? Are there servers to maintain? From everyone saying it isn't really an mmo it sounded more P2P.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

greatn posted:

Was there any question as to whether it'd be free? Are there servers to maintain? From everyone saying it isn't really an mmo it sounded more P2P.

I believe the original Japanese release of Tri on Wii had some weird online payment model, which was removed for Western release.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

Yeah, there are main "city" server lobbies where you form up and individual game lobbies as well where you organize for quests and create your "instances" to borrow an MMO term. Some Monster Hunter content (and certain other Nintendo online gaming) has been pay-for-play in Japan, but it's always free in the west.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I'm on the wait list at my local Gamestop, think I'm 7th in line post-launch for a Deluxe.

So is there hope that the second shipments might get out before Christmas? I remember tracking Wii shipments all over my area, despite looking and calling around like crazy it was still February before I found one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Apparently this is what IGN was talking about with the killer app stuff:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/25/zombiu-video-preview

Eh.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

Eh.

Honestly, the last straw for me when it came to IGN was, "HEY GET READY FOR APRIL 1, GUESS WHAT THERE'S THIS ZELDA MOVIE TRAILER THAT WAS CLEARLY AMATEUR DONE! DIDN'T YOU BUY INTO IT? WASN'T THIS AWESOME? SEE HOW WE MADE THIS AWESOME APRIL FOOLS JOKE THAT YOU TOTALLY BOUGHT DIDN'T YOU? WE'RE THE BEST AT APRIL FOOLS!" After that, I thought about all of the dumb poo poo that website does and just dropped it from my bookmarks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's new in the trailer for those of us suck on mobile devices? Ink buying Zombi U anyway because it looks interesting, but it's never gotten me can't wait super excited.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Eh.

I hate this guy's voice... sounds like a whole bag o' tools.

Game looks good.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bobnumerotres posted:

Eh.

I'm still not impressed enough to buy it at launch when it will be in the bargain bin a year from now when more games are out.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Yeah, with a launch lineup that extensive, I'd think it's inevitable that there will be deep discounting even as soon as boxing day (Dec. 26) in Canada for slow movers.
I'm betting on stuff like Tank! Tank! Tank! to get cheap quickly.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm still kind of curious as to why stuff like Tank! Tank! Tank! is retail, I mean it looks a lot like the kind of thing you'd buy digitally on PSN/Steam/XBLA for $15.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Yeah, with a launch lineup that extensive, I'd think it's inevitable that there will be deep discounting even as soon as boxing day (Dec. 26) in Canada for slow movers.
I'm betting on stuff like Tank! Tank! Tank! to get cheap quickly.

In the UK Tank! Tank! Tank! is already selling at a budget price. Zavvi have it for £23.95 to pre-order compared to £42.95 for Zombi U, £39.95 for Mario U and £32.95 for Rayman and £27.95 for Tekken.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man that pricing is crazy. Here everything costs the exact same, $60, except in some cases budget or family games are $40.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

greatn posted:

Man that pricing is crazy. Here everything costs the exact same, $60, except in some cases budget or family games are $40.

You are incorrect...

ZombiU, $59.99 retail: http://www.amazon.com/ZombiU-nintendo-wii-u/dp/B00897Z27C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1351190494&sr=8-5&keywords=wii+u

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, $49.99 retail: http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Avengers-Battle-nintendo-wii-u/dp/B00897Z1OQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1351190494&sr=8-10&keywords=wii+u

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, $39.99 retail: http://www.amazon.com/All-Stars-Transformed-Edition-nintendo-wii-u/dp/B008L1PYGK/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1351190494&sr=8-14&keywords=wii+u

All sorts of prices.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

IIRC all Kinect-only games are $50 (at launch), so he just left out one pricepoint. $60 for regular, $50 for Kinect, $40 for "budget".

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
It depends on the market.
In Canada, most things appear to be priced at 59.99 with rare exceptions like Avengers and Tank x 3 at 49.99.
Even at 49.99, I'd think Tank x 3 is way over-priced, but I suppose I should wait for the reviews to see if it is as skimpy as it appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Doug Dinsdale posted:

It depends on the market.
In Canada, most things appear to be priced at 59.99 with rare exceptions like Avengers and Tank x 3 at 49.99.
Even at 49.99, I'd think Tank x 3 is way over-priced, but I suppose I should wait for the reviews to see if it is as skimpy as it appears.

I want this to be the second coming of Alien Front Online, but I'm definitely not buying it at full blown retail.

Has anyone here played both Tx3 and AFO?

• Locked thread