Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Holy poo poo, please tell me how you did that. 10 stop ND filter and exposure stacking?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Please help us reach your level of awesomeness.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

vote_no posted:

Holy poo poo, please tell me how you did that. 10 stop ND filter and exposure stacking?

20s, f/16, 4 stop ND and a soft grad nd handheld, 2 exposures.

I almost left the spot and gave up early because I had my dogs with me (big mistake) and they were leashed up to a rock just behind me, of course this made them decide to howl like they were dying the whole time, right in the middle of a coyote infested area.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

whaam posted:

20s, f/16, 4 stop ND and a soft grad nd handheld, 2 exposures.

Once I get my gear back up and running I'm stealing your secret formula!

Seriously, very nice work.

My brother gives me poo poo for shooting landscapes in portrait orientation but I just can't help myself.

IMG_2008.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Cliffs own in portrait.

DSC_0056.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

e. they own in landscape too though. Cliffs own in general.

DSC_0031.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Ninja Woodchuck
Mar 20, 2005

He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.

Really great photo. The tiny tree at the top, the rock texture, sky, everything is just perfect.

Slightly offtopic - going to Peru next month, hope to get lots of cliff pictures of my own!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Ninja Woodchuck posted:

Really great photo. The tiny tree at the top, the rock texture, sky, everything is just perfect.

Slightly offtopic - going to Peru next month, hope to get lots of cliff pictures of my own!

Thanks.

If you look very close (maybe at the large res on flickr) beside those little trees on top you can see the ruins of an Inca traveler's house.

Peru is an amazing place for photography! Bring extra mem cards and batteries because you'll never have enough of either.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

down in Poole at the mo; the town is a classic English seaside shithole, but the dying harbour is perfect for bleak photography...

broken boats i by ____||||||||||||||||||, on Flickr

pylons ii by ____||||||||||||||||||, on Flickr

reflected landscape by ____||||||||||||||||||, on Flickr

poole harbour ii by ____||||||||||||||||||, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

If it wasn't for the second one, I'd be very confused by the first one

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Autumn in Minnesota, October 13:

Four Bridges on Flickr

Exit Here on Flickr

Winter in Minnesota, October 20:

Riley Lake on Flickr

Foggy Staring Lake on Flickr

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
My first trip to the west coast:

I like the walker guy in the first one but I wish the rest of the beach was a little cleaner. I have three more that I am finishing up (and will post soon) that may be my favorites from the trip.

I'm so incredibly jealous of this shot. I forgot to take my ND filter on my trip and would have loved to use it in about a million places. I did have two graduated filters that helped, but even both combined didn't block enough light! Really, really great shot!

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 21, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

This owns, by the way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hi. Yes.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Wish I had a tripod for the night shot but I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did since I was shooting through a fence.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I love all the shots you posted, but I wish you had just posted this one first without the others.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Valley Sunset by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Love the colours in this. Seems pretty soft though?

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

First one is awesome. Are you using a CPL on most of your water shots? You always get such clear transparent water.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam posted:

First one is awesome. Are you using a CPL on most of your water shots? You always get such clear transparent water.

Nope, first one was just an ND filter.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

:drat:

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Clown posted:

Love the colours in this. Seems pretty soft though?

Everything to the left of the foreground tower is a little soft when viewed at original size... I should have used a smaller aperture. I didn't because I was having so much trouble with my stupid shutter release not working, I pulled it out and was limited to a 30 second exposure.

Two more:

Next, I have to post some Redwoods shots. As usual when shooting in the forest, I thought I was getting great stuff while I was there, and now I look at the photos in Lightroom and I'm disappointed. :|

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Recede by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Gambl0r posted:

Next, I have to post some Redwoods shots. As usual when shooting in the forest, I thought I was getting great stuff while I was there, and now I look at the photos in Lightroom and I'm disappointed. :|

I know, I took this of General Sherman. I hate everything about it :(

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

^ there's a great deku tree face in there somewhere

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Now I can see nothing but the face!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have been wanting to get a "forest" photo for years now. The problem is you need a very specific light and the forest needs to be open enough that you can actually see things.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Dread Head posted:

I have been wanting to get a "forest" photo for years now. The problem is you need a very specific light and the forest needs to be open enough that you can actually see things.
You can make great photos in any light anywhere. To make the photo you are imagining you need an "open enough" forest and "very specific light," that doesn't mean there are other options out there.

If it's taken you literally years and you haven't made the photo you want maybe you need to change something.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

You can make great photos in any light anywhere. To make the photo you are imagining you need an "open enough" forest and "very specific light," that doesn't mean there are other options out there.

If it's taken you literally years and you haven't made the photo you want maybe you need to change something.

Not really put much effort into it and I guess I should rephrase the photo I have in my mind needs to have an open forest.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Yeah, he could make a photo, but not the photo. I don't even leave the house if the light isn't right.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Have you ever tried taken a picture of a forest in poo poo light?

e. pls post examples of your great photos in poo poo light, tia

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 29, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Framing is everything, mentally. If you are locked into looking for a very specific photo, then you aren't going to see anything else. That the light is poo poo for what you wanted doesn't preclude the possibility of other good photographs being possible at the same time.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah, I'm getting into that argument. Everyone on the internet is obsessed with "great light" and I am not really sure what that is anymore.

Think about what you are photographing, why, and what you are trying to say and stop obsessing over perfect light and such things. A lot of people here have perfectly sufficient technical skill but are stuck in an echo chamber and aren't producing much work worth discussing or even viewing. And that should bother you, not just invoke a mad post.

But that's what it'll do.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

A lot of people here have perfectly sufficient technical skill but are stuck in an echo chamber and aren't producing much work worth discussing or even viewing.

Or maybe most of us aren't professional photographers and are just sharing photos that we thought looked nice?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Dread Head posted:

I know exactly what you mean. I've been trying for a long time, too... and so far have no forest photos I'm really proud of.

While it is possible to get a good photo in whatever conditions - a truly striking photo taken in the forest is difficult. You want little ground cover so the shot doesn't look completely random and cluttered, and you need enough open canopy to let in some light but not too open or it will look like you're outside the forest looking in. And overcast shots in the forest look flat and lame (I know, since I spent a good two days in a completely overcast redwoods forest :()

And to correct Jay Zero Sum Game - If it's taken you literally years and you haven't made the photo you want, keep trying.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

shut the forum down folks, we've become an echo chamber. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

vote_no posted:

Or maybe most of us aren't professional photographers and are just sharing photos that we thought looked nice?
Fair enough.