Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Interesting writeup of the Canadian Naval lieutenant guilty of spying for the Russians and why he did it. Pretty sad, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know, there's just something about it where you look at the thing and go "yup, this is the logical conclusion of a road that had the P40 ,P51, P80, etc. on it." It just feels like the obvious final iteration of an era, while the stuff after it feels like the beginning of something new.

Might be as simple as all the .50 cals.

Yes the Sabre is a beautiful machine. But I think you have something with all the Brownings, it also has it's own style. I really dig GUNS ON PLANES, and it's interesting to see the different designs and philosophies. For instance the preference of putting many smaller caliber guns on a plane versus a few big ones. Such as the F-86 with six .50 cals compared to the MiG-15 with two 23mm cannons and one big rear end 37mm one. You can see that in Axis versus Allied planes in WWII as well.

Hell even today, America may only have one gun on their jet but there is still six barrels. :clint:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

priznat posted:

Interesting writeup of the Canadian Naval lieutenant guilty of spying for the Russians and why he did it. Pretty sad, really.
Of course he's a Dallas Cowboys fan.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Styles Bitchley posted:

Hell even today, America may only have one gun on their jet but there is still six barrels. :clint:

The Avenger has 7 barrels. :colbert:

Also I love when little planes play in the jet wash of bigger ones.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

_firehawk posted:

The Avenger has 7 barrels. :colbert:

Pretty sure he's referring to the M61. You know, the other gun :v:

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
The Harrier has 5 Barrels :colbert:

But Yes I know he was referring to the 20mm. Hell the F35 went back to 4 barrels.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

quote:

Barrel Talk

Why? Is it saving weight on the steel/ammo or more a cost saving measure?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Bigger shells and having less tougher, lighter barrels allows for a higher rate of fire.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Someone say guns? On planes?

Saw one of these fly last week too :D

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A-4s are neat. Sweet muzzle doodad!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Styles Bitchley posted:

Yes the Sabre is a beautiful machine. But I think you have something with all the Brownings, it also has it's own style. I really dig GUNS ON PLANES, and it's interesting to see the different designs and philosophies. For instance the preference of putting many smaller caliber guns on a plane versus a few big ones. Such as the F-86 with six .50 cals compared to the MiG-15 with two 23mm cannons and one big rear end 37mm one. You can see that in Axis versus Allied planes in WWII as well.

Pssh, quad 20mm or 30mm are way better! Even the americans realized this for the Sabre and later planes.

Although they didn't quite get it down...

quote:

The F-11 Tiger is noted for being the first jet aircraft to shoot itself down.[3] On 21 September 1956, during a test firing of its 20 mm (.79 in) cannons, pilot Tom Attridge fired two bursts mid-way through a shallow dive. As the velocity and trajectory of the cannon rounds decayed, they ultimately crossed paths with the Tiger as it continued its descent, disabling it and forcing Attridge to crash land the aircraft; he survived.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

priznat posted:

Man, that is just :smith:.

_firehawk posted:

Also I love when little planes play in the jet wash of bigger ones.

Guy I work with now was a crew chief up at Eielson when that happened...the first time:

Here's video of the second incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWoqa5nGmk

(For those too lazy to click the link, that is the same tail...in '03 it jumped chocks during a maintenance engine run and slide on the snow (because it was at Eielson in February) until it came to rest in that position; in '07 it got blown over by the Bone during a RF-A, still at Eielson).

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 25, 2012

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The poor plane just wants to dance!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

grover posted:

Su-37 is a ton bigger than the Mig-29. 72x48' vs 57x27' and weighs about 50% more, too. F-14 is kinda in the middle between them, 64x38'.

It never ceases to amaze me that single seat fighters nowadays are as long as a b-17.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Holy poo poo!

http://video.boeing.com/services/player/bcpid1173939806001?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAAAukPAlqE~%2CoAVq1qtdRjwBrIkHYj2MSytJiEK9s5fy&bctid=1913200772001

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Did...did that computer just eject a CD/DVD at :42? "OH GOD IT HURTS WHY DOES IT HURT SO MUCH?" *puke*

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
gently caress that might be a better weapon than a nuke. Just fly a drone over your opponent's industrial centers and shut them all the gently caress down.

I exaggerate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Insane Totoro posted:

gently caress that might be a better weapon than a nuke. Just fly a drone over your opponent's industrial centers and shut them all the gently caress down.

I exaggerate.

You do? Because you're exactly right.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I wonder if I could get Boeing to test that bad boy on my neighbors the next time they leave their stereo blasting away at four in the morning.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I wonder if I could get Boeing to test that bad boy on my neighbors the next time they leave their stereo blasting away at four in the morning.

http://www.amazing1.com/emp.htm

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Insane Totoro posted:

I exaggerate.

Not in the first wave. The first thing to go are command facilities and air defense centers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that single seat fighters nowadays are as long as a b-17.

Any handy photos of a 4.5 gen fighter next to a B-17 on the ground or in the air? I can see on wiki that:

B-17G: 74 ft
F-15C: 63 ft
F-16C: 49 ft
P-51D: 31 ft

Not quite as long, but still enormous considering that a modern fighter is close in size to a heavy bomber from 30 years ago (from design start of the -15/-16).

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

We already sort of do what this EMP cruise missile is supposed to accomplish. I remember back during the NATO air war over Yugoslavia we were dropping bombs full of graphite strips on power plants in order to short circuit and temporarily knock them out. It took out electricity for quite a large section of the country.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

movax posted:

Any handy photos of a 4.5 gen fighter next to a B-17 on the ground or in the air? I can see on wiki that:

Not quite as long, but still enormous considering that a modern fighter is close in size to a heavy bomber from 30 years ago (from design start of the -15/-16).

I'll have to look for some, but I know an su-35 is 74 feet long as well. Don't think I"m going to find a pic of a flanker and a b-17 flying together though.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

movax posted:

The closest I could find was a B-25 and F-16 in formation, although even there it illustrates that a lightweight modern fighter is the same size as a midsize WWII bomber (bonus Hawker Hunter):

However, if you want real ridiculous size comparisons...

B-17 vs B-52

C-47 vs C-17 :btroll:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Jesus, it's like someone gave an E/N thread a TS clearance.

Jeffrey Delisle posted:

Guys, my girlfriend just admitted she only married me for security and now she's pregnant with another man's baby. Should I sever, or start spying for the Russians?
EDIT: Holky shitt, the RCMP knows I play EVE!!!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I know modern tanks and aircraft are hardened to withstand the EMP created by a nuclear blast...would similar hardening work against this? How does this sorta hardening work anyway?

:psyduck:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Nebakenezzer posted:

I know modern tanks and aircraft are hardened to withstand the EMP created by a nuclear blast...would similar hardening work against this? How does this sorta hardening work anyway?
Same way the cameras that didn't go out were shielded: faraday cages. You can build a faraday cage to just about any attenuation level of any frequency, it's just a matter of using the right thickness of material. The real trick, though, is in penetrations- power lines, communication antennas, ventilation intakes, etc. Ultimately, any holes (including openings in mesh screens and honeycomb covers) need to be treated as waveguide, and designed for attenuation at various wavelengths. The larger the hole, the deeper it needs to be to achieve the same level of attenuation. There is nothing terribly magical about it, but it does get difficult and expensive if you have to do entire facilities.

If you're curious, you can read up on the specifics here:
http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/FEDMIL/std188_125_1.pdf

Then, you run into other questions, like... what happens if the blast comes when someone is walking in the front door?

grover fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 26, 2012

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

:psyduck:

A breaker circuit on the inputs combined with a faraday cage or similar shielding around the devices themselves.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

grover posted:

Then, you run into other questions, like... what happens if the blast comes when someone is walking in the front door?
Or if you combined it with a small conventional munitions strike to breach the integrity of the cage?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

grover posted:

That one is simple enough, a sally port type entrance would solve that problem.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Flikken posted:

Doesn't solve this though:

Memento1979 posted:

Or if you combined it with a small conventional munitions strike to breach the integrity of the cage?

And honestly you wouldn't even need any explosives in the bomb, an inert concrete shape with precision guidance (so either JDAM tailkit or LGB) would more than likely be enough to breach the integrity without causing much damage compared to a live munition.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

You win again, gravity!! :argh:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ok but you're already presupposing that you're getting hit with enough explosives/kinetic energy to cause a pretty severe amount of damage. At that point how much sense does it really make to worry about the threat of an EMP versus everything there just getting blown up?

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

grover posted:

Same way the cameras that didn't go out were shielded: faraday cages. You can build a faraday cage to just about any attenuation level of any frequency, it's just a matter of using the right thickness of material. The real trick, though, is in penetrations- power lines, communication antennas, ventilation intakes, etc. Ultimately, any holes (including openings in mesh screens and honeycomb covers) need to be treated as waveguide, and designed for attenuation at various wavelengths. The larger the hole, the deeper it needs to be to achieve the same level of attenuation. There is nothing terribly magical about it, but it does get difficult and expensive if you have to do entire facilities.

If you're curious, you can read up on the specifics here:
http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/FEDMIL/std188_125_1.pdf

This is giving me fond memories of training on Seawolf ESM systems in a SCIF out in San Diego back in the day. Signs reminding us to make sure the door is closed before powering on any equipment, etc... :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LGD posted:

Ok but you're already presupposing that you're getting hit with enough explosives/kinetic energy to cause a pretty severe amount of damage. At that point how much sense does it really make to worry about the threat of an EMP versus everything there just getting blown up?

They're overthinking the problem. Modern militaries are run via networks of systems. It's impossible to shield everything, and anything that gets taken down impacts the overall effectiveness of the system.

Example: A well-designed integrated air defense system (IADS) is a scary loving thought, even to the USAF. China has an excellent one. Iraq in 1990 had one of the best, probably only behind Moscow. The US didn't bomb every missile launcher or radar site, we took out the C2 network that controlled it and cross-cued radar data. The sites were force to operate independently which drops their efficiency SIGNIFICANTLY.

This type of weapon applies the same logic to the entirety of the military and beyond.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just to add to the above: think of all the reasons why the US blew the gently caress out of Iraq's civilian power infrastructure in GW1. Even if all of the key military facilities have backup generation by default it still causes a big loving headache if most of the major cities go dark, and can really degrade all sorts of things.

Same logic, just without needing to employ quite so many tons of HE.

Really, the most exciting part about this, at least to my mind, isn't the potential for eliminating hardened military targets, but the potential for mega-loving civilian targets in ways that don't piss people off as much as, well, destroying the power generation/transmission capability of an entire nation because one dickhead keeps violating no-fly-zones.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Flikken posted:

Without going into details, yep. How would you deal with power cables coming into the building, though? Even if you've got generators, how do you keep the initial pulse from entering through the power line and blowing up everything that's plugged into a wall socket? How do you protect equipment inside the building from EMP coupled into antennas outside the building while still communicating through those antennas?

LGD posted:

EMP weapons today more of alternatives to a conventional kinetic strike, so if the facility you're targeting is shielded, you just hit it with something else. If you're hitting it with conventional explosives already, you might as well just blow it up good with the first missile/bomb, and save yourselves the trouble of a follow-up EMP attack. The threat of HEMP was that it would take out everything, everywhere, simultaneously, which was (and still is) a completely different animal.

Also, regarding the collateral damage claims... if your target is buried in a residential neighborhood where conventional strikes would cause too many casualties, an EMP strike like this is going to destroy every civilian TV and computer in a pretty good radius. Still seems like collateral damage to me, though far more preferable since it won't kill anybody.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 26, 2012

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tell that to the WoW addicts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If your house gets blown the gently caress up along with the Ministry of Whateverthefuck that it shares the block with, your laptop is probably even more megafucked than if it got zapped by whatever that thing of Boeing's is.