Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Flying Guillotine posted:

So I just started a new job at Gamestop as a holiday cashier. So my questions is, what's a better buy; Gamestop (GME) EA Games (EA) or Take-Two Interactive Software (TTWO)

Building a goon portfolio, capitalism ho!

GME is the best. By far.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So I just started a new job at Gamestop as a holiday cashier. So my questions is, what's a better buy; Gamestop (GME) EA Games (EA) or Take-Two Interactive Software (TTWO)

abagofcheetos posted:

D) Burning your money for 10 seconds of warmth.

Don't take it personally, they always act this way when someone comes in asking "which stock should I invest in?" and especially when someone asks "which video game/movie/other personal interest stock should I invest in?"

I think what abagofcheetos meant to say was, don't build a goonish portfolio just because it's goonish, nor because you like video games, nor because you like the company you work for. I think abagofcheetos would probably say that asking "what are some companies that I personally like what they do" is not a good way to build a portfolio.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'd probably say that I suppose. And actually... GME looks like a decent stock :shobon:, especially back in June or July (what was the PE then, like 6? With no debt...).

Though video game stock price movements generally seem to make NO sense...

agreed, i would never hold long term.
VVVV

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 25, 2012

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

If you really have to probably EA. But better would be none of the above. None of the publicly traded games companies are on good footing right now, except maybe MSFT, but games are a negligible part of their business.

GME looks good on the balance sheet but they are in deep poo poo in the medium to long term. This next console generation is going to push hard against used game sales. The generation after that (if it even exists) I guarantee will have zero used game sales. They are trying to move into the digital distribution space (wisely), but I don't like their chances against a myriad of much better positioned competitors in that space.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

DancingMachine posted:

If you really have to probably EA. But better would be none of the above. None of the publicly traded games companies are on good footing right now, except maybe MSFT, but games are a negligible part of their business.

GME looks good on the balance sheet but they are in deep poo poo in the medium to long term. This next console generation is going to push hard against used game sales. The generation after that (if it even exists) I guarantee will have zero used game sales. They are trying to move into the digital distribution space (wisely), but I don't like their chances against a myriad of much better positioned competitors in that space.

Then won't Gamestop move into DLC sales? They're already doing it now.

And what "myriad of much better positioned competitors" are you talking about? Best Buy tried to get into the used game market and Gamestop smacked them down, hard.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Then won't Gamestop move into DLC sales? They're already doing it now.

And what "myriad of much better positioned competitors" are you talking about? Best Buy tried to get into the used game market and Gamestop smacked them down, hard.

The "better positioned" comment was about the digital distribution market. Valve, EA, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, GoG.com, just off the top of my head, are all better positioned in the digital distribution market. Plus the entire market might be illusory from a 3rd party perspective if it vertically integrates the way film/TV is heading.

In the long term, Gamestop may continue to get a piece of the DLC and new retail game sales markets if publishers deign to allow it. Those markets are scraps compared to the used game sales market which drives their profit currently.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Best Buy just sucks, all around.

TTWO well of course every gta is a hit but what else do they do? Everyone knows about GTA so the question is, could you earn more on your money while waiting for gta5 to come out?

EA has been hurting, looking to sell, etc. GME at least has zero debt and generally stable looking financials (surprisingly).

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
gently caress yes DDD. Thanks to everyone that was talking about 3D printing a few pages back for motivating me do some research. Too bad I sold like a quarter of the stock when it hit $38 a few weeks ago :v:

Also this article on seekingalpha came out a few days ago: http://seekingalpha.com/article/943201-3d-systems-at-the-peak-of-inflated-expectations

It very nearly convinced me to sell. It was responsible for a ~3% drop compared to SSYS since it came out. Reading through the full report though gave the impression of a massive conspiracy theory with tons of players, lots of unverifiable data from phone calls, all mixed in with a shitload of words, statements of truth, and selective math. Only reason I didn't dump it was because nobody would post lengthy research like that for free if it was legit, it was that author's first article on seekingalpha and I couldn't find any history on google, and 2 people were cheerleading the article with a lot of words in their first and only comments on seekingalpha.

Either that guy got burned incredibly today, or it was a pretty successful effort to get some cheaper shares before an earnings report that regularly beats estimates. I guess SA is one of the few communities that doesn't need to be told not to believe everything you read on the internet, but don't believe everything you read on the internet.

scavok fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 25, 2012

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

scavok posted:

but don't believe everythinganything you read on the internet.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

scavok posted:

gently caress yes DDD. Thanks to everyone that was talking about 3D printing a few pages back for motivating me do some research. Too bad I sold like a quarter of the stock when it hit $38 a few weeks ago :v:

Also this article on seekingalpha came out a few days ago: http://seekingalpha.com/article/943201-3d-systems-at-the-peak-of-inflated-expectations

It very nearly convinced me to sell. It was responsible for a ~3% drop compared to SSYS since it came out. Reading through the full report though gave the impression of a massive conspiracy theory with tons of players, lots of unverifiable data from phone calls, all mixed in with a shitload of words, statements of truth, and selective math. Only reason I didn't dump it was because nobody would post lengthy research like that for free if it was legit, it was that author's first article on seekingalpha and I couldn't find any history on google, and 2 people were cheerleading the article with a lot of words in their first and only comments on seekingalpha.

Either that guy got burned incredibly today, or it was a pretty successful effort to get some cheaper shares before an earnings report that regularly beats estimates. I guess SA is one of the few communities that doesn't need to be told not to believe everything you read on the internet, but don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I almost picked up more when it hit $35 but the last two weeks have been one huge rollercoaster and I figured I would do alright as it was.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

scavok posted:

I guess SA is one of the few communities that doesn't need to be told not to believe everything you read on the internet, but don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I don't know about that. I'd be curious what the track record is for the recommendations made in this thread. Sometimes it sounds like a penny stock message board on Yahoo Finance.

Edit: Having made a snotty comment like that, would anyone be interested in formally recommending a stock and keeping track of its performance? I think that might add some money to people's mouths.

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 25, 2012

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd be curious about that too, it seems all the success stories are after-action reports. It seems odd though, is there any incentive for people to recommend something?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Bragging rights.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Well, I called FB at $17.75 and am still in it. I think it would be interesting if people actually said when and where they bought soon after they buy (or short). And then we can get an idea of people's credibility.

I also bought GM yesterday at 23.76. I mostly use this thread to get ideas. For instance, I would never have checked out GME and would've assumed it's poo poo. Now I searching for a catalyst that would boost the share price.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I think it would be interesting if people actually said when and where they bought soon after they buy (or short).

That's what I mean, too. I was thinking of when the next thread starts to have a list of the stock, the buy or sell price and date, and the member who recommended it constantly changing on the first post.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

HPQ, ZNGA, INTC

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:suicide: :suicide:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Where was the lag? I think expectations were for many more iPads.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So Google, Amazon and Apple all miss? Which tablet do I bet on? It must be a case where too much supply kills everyone. Shorting blackberry if it is above zero forever.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
AAPL slightly beat revenue, slightly missed profit. So they are selling more, but not making as much. It can be worry-some to those who believe they may have hit the peak in their market share in all their categories, and their margins are shrinking slightly.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Turkeybone posted:

TTWO well of course every gta is a hit but what else do they do? Everyone knows about GTA so the question is, could you earn more on your money while waiting for gta5 to come out?

This is why I like TTWO, people think they're just GTA, but they've had quite a string of successes. NBA 2K13 is basically the only basketball game and is being praised highly. Borderlands 2 is, by all accounts, a ridiculous success. Judging by all the people looking for deals on it, even XCOM seems a lot more popular than it was expected to be. Bioshock Infinite is pretty widely anticipated. Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire were pretty big successes, and will be due for sequels in the not too distant future.

Of all of the gaming companies, TTWO seems to understand "hardcore" gamers the most, and I feel they'll be less impacted by the casual gamer transition to mobile than EA, ERTS, etc.

When people underestimated the popularity of Red Dead Redemption, there was a pretty big pop after that quarter's earnings. I'm looking for a similar one after Borderlands 2/NBA 2K13/XCOM.

FlashBangBob posted:

AAPL slightly beat revenue, slightly missed profit. So they are selling more, but not making as much. It can be worry-some to those who believe they may have hit the peak in their market share in all their categories, and their margins are shrinking slightly.
I'm guessing iPad mini won't help their margin much, either. Still, "if you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will", so...

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 25, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

They blame the USD, which is the same reason everybody is suffering, to a point. The guidance for q1 is 52B. If it was same length as last year q1, that would be 56B with 12eps.

I think it's going to suffer a bit tomorrow because of options and absolutely no movement due to earnings, then start its trek back up. Last quarters miss was 10%, this one was 1%.

I'm still super bullish.

E: All the shorts have to cover now that the bottom is in, and the big boys and their hedge funds can jump back in.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah... apple (tentatively) has gone positive.

e: AMZN is also fighting back pretty well.

For apple I would imagine there's not much more catalyst to keep shorting, especially if one has been shorting since 700. Short the rumor, cover the news?

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 25, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I had a job interview at a options trading firm today and they were all talking about AAPL gettign halted or something.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I don't know about that. I'd be curious what the track record is for the recommendations made in this thread.

NOK. Always bet on NOK.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
DGP, AGQ, AUY, AG

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a job interview at a options trading firm today and they were all talking about AAPL gettign halted or something.
Stocks are always halted right before/during earnings release.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Josh Lyman posted:

Stocks are always halted right before/during earnings release.

Oh are they? I didn't know that. I thought AAPL missed bad and that's why they were halted.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Oh are they? I didn't know that. I thought AAPL missed bad and that's why they were halted.
They missed by 1% compared to 10% last time. Definitely think the downside is pretty much over and already accounted for in the 90 drop

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Luckily options don't trade after hours.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

lightpole posted:

Bragging rights.

Front running. Especially if it's one of the lovely aforementioned penny stocks.

As somewhat sophisticated investors I'm sure that very few of you have even thought about buying some .pk listed piece of poo poo that you read about in your junk mail.

But trust me, there are tons of dummy investors who get sucked into a number of IR scams. The problem is, these scams are completely legal because they always include a bunch of disclaimers in the fine print. Legalized pump and dump is alive and well.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Turkeybone posted:

Luckily options don't trade after hours.

And another thing I didn't know. I'm very cluesless about options. Just now understanding why anyone would sell a call. That's why I want I trade options :P

But yeah their bread and butter was index options so paying attention to how AAPL traded when the earnings were released was still important since AAPL is some huge percentage of the NASDAQ.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

You're clueless about options yet you're job interviewing for trading options? I am confused.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Turkeybone posted:

You're clueless about options yet you're job interviewing for trading options? I am confused.

Par for the course

Also, there are regular posters in this thread you should never listen to

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

a lovely poster posted:

Par for the course

Also, there are regular posters in this thread you should never listen to

yeah man I was reading the last 10 pages of this thread and basically just had a giant :what: face on the whole time.

goons and trading don't mix afaik. lots of :smug: little of everything else

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

Turkeybone posted:

Options trading that people do in their retail accounts couldn't be more different than what happens at options prop shops. I worked at one for awhile and interviewed at a few others here in Chicago, and most of these guys are just arbing order flow all day, not saying "golly, I think AAPL is oversold so I'magunna buy some calls!"

Generally the job is about 75% software development, 20% QA, and 5% actual trading knowledge, so these firms tend to grab CS grads and just teach them the options part.

Billies: PM me, I probably know the firm and can give you a few tips.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

AMZN investors are like honey badgers; this isn't the first quarter in recent times where AMZN has missed pretty well and the stock soars.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Missed earnings, up nearly 4% at the time of typing. I don't know much about value investing but P/E of almost 3000 has to be pretty good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Amazon is up over 5% as of right now, what the christ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
- The iPad mini was a copy of the Kindle using the same iOS as all other Apple devices.

- The iPhone 5 was a copy of existing Motorola/Samsung devices with a bigger screen and, same iOS as other Apple devices.

- The iPhone 4S was almost a complete copy of of the iPhone 4 with some minor tweaks and an over-hyped voice recognition software.

- iOS 6 dumped Google's map software so they could essentially copy them with their own versions.

- Apple continues to take its competitors to court to block their sales over alleged patent infringements.

What do all these things tell me? Apple is losing the innovative edge that they once held by being the first mover on smart phones and mobile devices. It used to be that competitors would follow Apple on new features and products. Now, Apple is following its competitors. Their legal battles tell me they are pursuing a defensive position for their current technology rather than an aggressive one with new innovations.

I have no doubt that Apple will continue to be extremely profitable for some time. However in my opinion their first mover advantage on tablets and smart phones is dwindling. The market is getting much more competitive with alternatives priced at a lot lower levels. This is force Apple to react with lower margin products (iPad Mini?), which will have a slow but significant effect on their bottom line.

Both projected Q1 revenue and EPS was below analyst estimates. However, their projected margin delta was a lot less than revenue. Everyone is scurrying to justify this as supply chain to currency factors, but I think that the days of gangbuster operating margins are finally starting to dwindle.