Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Moses has good hips and his back end is fine! His movement is ugly and stupid, but he's sound according to his Pennhip score.

Frankie has back end problems, but they involve his butt and not his joints.

re: meatcake: I have always made normal cakes for my dogs, but I think I will switch to meatcakes. Frankie is turning 4 the first week of December so meatcake is imminent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got to spend a half hour with a little Standard Schnauzer puppy!!

We were getting the mail at the end of our street coming back from the gym, and it was sniffing around in the yard of the people who live next to the mailbox. We know the people who live there and they've just got a black lab, and we know the rest of the street's dogs, so I was pretty sure it was lost.

I called it over and it came bounding by, it had a collar but no tag, so I managed to get it back to the house (holy crap was it strong for a 6 month or so SS) and tied it up in the garage where we tie Terra up to keep her in the front yard. Then I called animal control.

We let her play with Terra for a bit, but Terra being an old lady quickly got tired of the dog's antics, and with her only child syndrome quickly got tired of the fact that someone who wasn't her was getting attention too, so she got sent back into the house. The animal control people came by and picked her up, and so since she's almost certainly just lost (and hopefully microchipped) her owners will go pick her up in the next few days.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

hhgtrillian posted:

This is one of the most amazing things ever. Now, dress trophy up as LOG.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I'm not buying the accuracy here.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

notsoape posted:

At this point we are running out of PI dogs who don't have problems with their hind legs :smith:

I'm super paranoid about Savannah's hind legs/back because of the dachshund thing :(

Edit: ^^dear god, LOG and Trophy are great.

Neena fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 24, 2012

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Not bad, not bad. But I think Trophy needs one of these:

http://www.cushzilla.com/shop/cushzilla-cat-wigs-dog-wigs/cushzilla-curly-dog-wig-cat-wig-114.asp

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

notsoape posted:

At this point we are running out of PI dogs who don't have problems with their hind legs :smith:

Pippa is orthopedically sound and neurologically appropriate from the cervical spinal cord down!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Uh, does Captain Foxy's avatar look different to everyone else as well?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

McDragon posted:

Uh, does Captain Foxy's avatar look different to everyone else as well?

Yeah, I saw it earlier and figured it was some weird glitch, but apparently not. Is there a story behind it, Foxy?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

cryingscarf posted:

Yeah, I saw it earlier and figured it was some weird glitch, but apparently not. Is there a story behind it, Foxy?

As soon as I realized it wasn't glitched it was the funniest thing and I kept looking at it and it was funny and that was how I spent part of my day today

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
Can I post this here? (apologies for the source)

Cesar Milan gets a grilling off little Alan Titchmarsh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lined-dogs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97lwtUkXjwQ

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
The blockhead in it's natural habitat.

She's so butthigh, it's hilarious. I don't care about her conformation at all but it's going to be interesting to see how she shapes up.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I see Fionna has recovered well from her horrible case of blur-puppy? In that case I demand more pictures of her :3:

How is her training going? I wouldn't even know how to start training a deaf dog when they are in their ADD puppy stage.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Azrael Alexander posted:

She's so butthigh, it's hilarious. I don't care about her conformation at all but it's going to be interesting to see how she shapes up.

Everything that age has a butt a mile high.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

lazyjane posted:

Thank you for this! :haw: Made my night!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a decision to make here.

My parents have extended an invitation to Max to come home with me over Christmas for 10 days, and a plane ticket for him and a week of boarding cost about the same. Do I fly him home with me and back or just put him in a boarding kennel?

I have no idea how well he'd handle a plane ride (~3 hours) and a sudden change in environment, but on the other hand he's always super velcro dog after I leave him for just a weekend and I can't imagine how he'll be when I leave him for a whole week. Those of you who have traveled by air with dogs, what would you suggest?

Additional info: I'm flying American (booked my tickets before the union crap started); Max is a 5 y/o 40 pound ACD so he'd have to fly cargo.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

lazyjane posted:

Shared this article with a friend of mine who I've gotten to a few tiffs over dog training with. She was skeptical until the RSPCA's statement. I think I really have gotten her on board with positive dog training now. Thanks for posting these (don't read the article comments).

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

cryingscarf posted:

I see Fionna has recovered well from her horrible case of blur-puppy? In that case I demand more pictures of her :3:

How is her training going? I wouldn't even know how to start training a deaf dog when they are in their ADD puppy stage.
I think she's finally figured out that the camera is not something delicious to eat, so she doesn't immediately run towards it anymore. There will definitely be more pictures. :3: As far as training goes, she's doing well with the basics (sit, lie down, stay) and I'm currently working on leave it and come, which are a tad more difficult, but she's getting there. It's definitely more challenging than training a hearing puppy, esp with recall. But she's smart as hell - smartest puppy I've dealt with so far. Nothing gets past her. She's completely housetrained now and pretty much crate trained, though she still cries a lot when you leave her for more than five minutes. Overall she's been a pretty easy puppy; she's a chewer for sure, but whenever she goes to chew on something she shouldn't I just distract her with a favorite toy and she seems to get the picture pretty well.

Superconsndar posted:

Everything that age has a butt a mile high.
Yeah I figured as much, she's in a really awkward growth spurt right now. She really shouldn't be a bad looking dog based on what I see so far. She was spayed so early that she probably won't develop a whole lot of muscle mass, but if I keep her in shape she probably won't look like a table. I'll love her regardless, even if she becomes a tabledog.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Azrael Alexander posted:

Yeah I figured as much, she's in a really awkward growth spurt right now. She really shouldn't be a bad looking dog based on what I see so far. She was spayed so early that she probably won't develop a whole lot of muscle mass, but if I keep her in shape she probably won't look like a table. I'll love her regardless, even if she becomes a tabledog.

Do you have any pics of her at about 8 weeks? You can use that to get a reasonable idea of her adult conformation. If not just don't even bother looking at her until at least her first bday.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

Do you have any pics of her at about 8 weeks? You can use that to get a reasonable idea of her adult conformation. If not just don't even bother looking at her until at least her first bday.
The only pics I have of her that young are from the shelter, and she's at the bottom of a puppypile so it doesn't do much good. We'll just have to wait and see...as long as she doesn't magically transform into an American Bully I'm all good.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
omg

Titchmarsh savages dog trainer who caused TV outcry with his unconventional techniques to 'rehabilitate' ill-disciplined dogs posted:

Alan Titchmarsh grilled his guest Cesar Millan on the 'totally unacceptable' way that he trains dogs

Members of the public had earlier called for the show to be cancelled because of Millan's 'barbaric' methods

But after the show opinion was slit over whether Titchmarsh was too 'abusive' to his guest

As television’s mild-mannered horticulturalist turned daytime chat-show host, Alan Titchmarsh rarely courts controversy.

But when he invited ‘dog whisperer’ Cesar Millan to appear as a guest it was never going to please everyone.

US-based Millan’s unconventional training methods to ‘rehabilitate’ ill-disciplined dogs, including physically attacking them, using electric shocks and spikes on collars, have split public opinion worldwide and led many to brand him ‘barbaric’.

Alan Titchmarsh and Dog whisperer Cesar Millan during the heated interview on the 'The Alan Titchmarsh Show' yesterday

A wave of protests was unleashed even before The Alan Titchmarsh Show went out on ITV yesterday afternoon.

More than 1,000 people joined a Twitter campaign demanding Millan’s appearance be cancelled. Production staff were inundated with calls and Titchmarsh was bombarded with hundreds of emails, while a Facebook page set up by protesters attracted 1,600 followers.

And when animal welfare campaigners threatened to disrupt the live show, extra security staff were drafted in.

Although Titchmarsh, 63, refused to cancel the interview, he took on his guest in an uncharacteristically confrontational style.

Titchmarsh told Millan: ‘You punish dogs, you hit them. I’ve seen you punch a dog in the throat to get it to behave and to most people, like myself, I would say that is totally unacceptable as a way of training a dog.’

Controversy: Millan's methods with training dogs have split opinion

Alan Titchmarsh, left, gave his guest, dog whisperer Cesar Millan, right, a tough grilling on his show

An unsettled Millan replied: ‘Well obviously I would respectfully disagree with that. It’s not a punch, it’s a touch.’

Titchmarsh countered: ‘I watched the video of it and if somebody touched me like that I would be hurt. You went for the throat and you punched the dog back and the dog bit you and held on to your hand.

‘Having watched a lot of boxing matches it looked like something Henry Cooper would deliver.’

Millan again insisted that it was nothing more than a touch. ‘But you also work with electric shocks and collars and spikes on collars that really hurt them,’ continued Titchmarsh.

‘You know, this is pretty barbaric treatment. What’s your reasoning for treating dogs like this?’

Millan insisted that his methods were simply used to ‘snap the (dog’s) brain out of it’.

After the interview opinion on Twitter and other social media was divided, with some backing Titchmarsh, while others rounded on him for being ‘abusive’.
In a statement read out on air, the RSPCA said: ‘Adverse training techniques which have been seen to be used by Cesar Millan can cause pain and fear for dogs and may worsen their behavioural problems.

‘The RSPCA believes that using such techniques is unacceptable, nor are they necessary to change dog behaviour for the better when other dog trainers use reward-based methods to train dogs very effectively.’

I mean to fully understand the :allears:ness of this you kind of have to know who Alan Titchmarsh is, but generally - scorn our anti-docking, outdoor-cat havin' island all you want, but we're reeeally good on stuff like this.

It actually reminds me of the time Matt Baker asked David Cameron 'How do you sleep at night?' :3: :3: :3:

Edit: He even goes into the debate about "pack"/dominance theory, there really aren't enough :3:s or :allears:s in the world. :3:.

notsoape fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 25, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I want to hug that mild British man so hard.

Superconsndar posted:

As soon as I realized it wasn't glitched it was the funniest thing and I kept looking at it and it was funny and that was how I spent part of my day today

Stare into the face of Pugamute. STARE INTO IT.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 25, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I thought prong collars were fine it's just most people use them inappropriately?

VV: oh as a training tool ok I get it.

e: why couldn't I remember what prong collars were called

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 25, 2012

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

notsoape posted:

omg

I mean to fully understand the :allears:ness of this you kind of have to know who Alan Titchmarsh is, but generally - scorn our anti-docking, outdoor-cat havin' island all you want, but we're reeeally good on stuff like this.

It actually reminds me of the time Matt Baker asked David Cameron 'How do you sleep at night?' :3: :3: :3:

Edit: He even goes into the debate about "pack"/dominance theory, there really aren't enough :3:s or :allears:s in the world. :3:.

Youtube link for those who are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97lwtUkXjwQ

^ Pinch/prong collars are still an aversive training method.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

notsoape posted:

omg

Titchmarsh for king of britland :3:

Totally going to watch the show when I get home, and laugh forever.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Goddammit, why is my cat so stupid. Timmy was being a huge pain in the rear end this morning, so, uh, naturally I decided to reward him a few minutes later by fishing out a fresh new catnip mouse. Mouse comes from drawer where treats live; Timmy swarms all over me while I get it; Timmy watches me take out mouse, offer it to him, and then toss it a few feet away. Oh boy! Catnip mouse! You like catnip mice!

Timmy then wanders around frantically and finally settles by his food dish to stare at me because WHERE DID THE TREAT GO???? Meanwhile, six feet away, Erlend is having a fabulous time with the new toy.

(Timmy found it eventually and took it away from Erlend.)

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I know a lot of you guys probably look at DoggyLoot already, but since we as a forum seem to have a lot of crazy dogs I thought I'd share this link: Busy Buddy treat-dispensing toy on clearance for $8.49. A friend of mine has one and she loves it.

Serella posted:

This is hosed up. I used to work for a rural electric co-op, and we would send out a crew if a single person's power was out, even if it was 2 am on a Saturday night.

Yeah, I shouldn't have lumped all of them together. I've been a customer of a lot of them and my current one is uniquely messed up. The police had to establish a presence at the shareholders' meetings because they were called out so frequently to break up fights. I am not joking or exaggerating.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have a decision to make here.

My parents have extended an invitation to Max to come home with me over Christmas for 10 days, and a plane ticket for him and a week of boarding cost about the same. Do I fly him home with me and back or just put him in a boarding kennel?

I have no idea how well he'd handle a plane ride (~3 hours) and a sudden change in environment, but on the other hand he's always super velcro dog after I leave him for just a weekend and I can't imagine how he'll be when I leave him for a whole week. Those of you who have traveled by air with dogs, what would you suggest?

Additional info: I'm flying American (booked my tickets before the union crap started); Max is a 5 y/o 40 pound ACD so he'd have to fly cargo.

I'd board him at a quality facility. I don't like the risks inherent in flying animals. I think it would be unduly stressful for him when the other option is to chill out with a bunch of dog buddies in a dog friendly environment.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, I wouldn't fly again with the dogs unless I absolutely had no other choice (oh please, send me somewhere CONUS we can drive easily next time :ohdear: ).

:3: The vet just called me to check up on fuzzyface. Who had one dose of pills last night, and is already showing improvement. So here's hoping the improvement continues. The vet was all kinds of delighted. I love my vet, man.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

omg

This is hilarious. My boss (the guy who wrote the "Dog Whispering in the 21st Century" article) freeze-framed on the very minute Alan tells him that his methods are extremely controversial, then captioned it:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Hah. Good catch.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

That's loving fantastic. Can I post that on facebook? I have many dog geek friends who will enjoy that and the odd Dog Whisperer apologist that will flip their poo poo over it in a hilarious manner.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

SuperTwo posted:

That's loving fantastic. Can I post that on facebook? I have many dog geek friends who will enjoy that and the odd Dog Whisperer apologist that will flip their poo poo over it in a hilarious manner.

Definitely. He put it on facebook initially (if you want to give credit to Prescott Breeden, you can, but don't worry about it too much) to be shared!

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

ButWhatIf posted:

Definitely. He put it on facebook initially (if you want to give credit to Prescott Breeden, you can, but don't worry about it too much) to be shared!

My flyball trainer actually shared that photo last night, and I went back to look at it was Prescott Breeden's photo. Small world!

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Hey you know what's awkward? When you ask someone if they can hand you the tramadol and then you have to clarify if you mean your bottle or the dog's.

She's doing really well on it though.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

a life less posted:

I'd board him at a quality facility. I don't like the risks inherent in flying animals. I think it would be unduly stressful for him when the other option is to chill out with a bunch of dog buddies in a dog friendly environment.

Yeah that's my plan, after thinking over it some more.

Half of it is not wanting to stress him out flying, the other half is if my grandma saw my landshark play bite me I would never, ever hear the end of how I have a vicious mean dog.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I try to take pictures of Moses not killing the puppy but they always come out blurry and stupid because I must be ever at the ready for the single whisker flick he will give to tell me he gonna eat a face :(

He does pretty good now though, I can uncrate them together as long as I don't touch or talk to the puppy in front of him, and he'll even play with him a little which is huge. If I could work on them like I need to I'd have him at the point where I could interact with the puppy in front of him a little, but since I can only work on this when my parents are both gone (loving never uggh) it's reeeeeally slow going. I'm about to move anyway so it's not really necessary to get them used to each other at this point, but I do want to get another dog eventually so I'm kind of using this to see how Moses would/will do when/if that day comes.

anyway, big gay idiot party

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

Awwwww dat face :3:

Also Super, I really love how your room is decorated. The blue with the black and white- I die! I always notice it when you post pics.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

mickeymickey posted:

Awwwww dat face :3:

Also Super, I really love how your room is decorated. The blue with the black and white- I die! I always notice it when you post pics.

Lmao that's my sister's room. It's empty now since she recently moved out and it is now Puppy Crate Room. My room is ~lavender~ with black and white ;-* I do prefer her wall color to mine though. ~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
My husband and I frequently have to spend a bunch of time, money, and physical effort on one elaborate project or another just to protect our stuff from our cats or to make sure our cats are safe. Every time, I just have to take a moment to shake a fist and complain about cat ownership.

Then someone starts purring at me and I forgive them anyway.

• Locked thread