Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

<edit>

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope that guy intends on throwing that camera overboard because it will punch a hole straight through an aircraft carrier.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

xzzy posted:

I hope that guy intends on throwing that camera overboard because it will punch a hole straight through an aircraft carrier.

http://www.airrecce.co.uk/cameras/raf_ww2_cameras.html

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Hey LA goons, apparently Paris Photo will host an event in Los Angeles as well!
http://losangeles.parisphoto.com/?lg=en

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

cyberia posted:

... a micro four thirds camera that costs as much as a DSLR (AUD900 for just the body)

EOS-M is APS-C sized.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wow, I have been doing so many things wrong. I need to punch more asians and hang around friends that want to kill me. Then I'll be the best photographer ever!

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
If your picture isn't good enough, you're not close enough to death.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Speaking of wartime cameras:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/13932

-Walter Richardson, Navy photographer who survived the crash of the airship USS Shenandoah three days earlier.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Is there still an urbex thread round here somewhere?

Can't find it.

I went to GREAT EXPENSE in making this rig for my camera and was thinking of ustreaming an explore I was planning to do tomorrow if there was any interest in it.

(Actually a serious post, I am going exploring tomorrow and will stream it if anyone wants to see run down crap).

This is a great idea, I might try and rig up something similar for my city's huge festival next week. Anyone interested?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Is there still an urbex thread round here somewhere?

Can't find it.

I went to GREAT EXPENSE in making this rig for my camera and was thinking of ustreaming an explore I was planning to do tomorrow if there was any interest in it.

(Actually a serious post, I am going exploring tomorrow and will stream it if anyone wants to see run down crap).

There was an urbex thread, it got moved into the dorkroom and promptly died, seems to either have been moved back or gone to the archives.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

There was an urbex thread, it got moved into the dorkroom and promptly died, seems to either have been moved back or gone to the archives.

So you would have to delve into the unexplored deep of the archives to find the thread?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
If anyone else is digging through the archives, I'm trying to find the post where I talked about going in on a group buy of electron microscope apertures for pinhole photography. I can't find a link to the site I found that was selling them at a reasonable rate (I think $50-60 for batches of 50 apertures, or something). :negative:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The urbex thread died :( (beware HDR)

Pompous, here you go.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 28, 2012

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I don't even shoot film but this kind of makes me sad for some reason.

quote:

Another sign of the times (and bad news for film-photography enthusiasts): one of the most prestigious photo competitions in the world no longer accepts film photographs. Earlier this week Nikon published a “call for entries” for its 34th Nikon Photo Contest. Here’s what the entry guidelines say about “Eligible Works”:

Image data files created with digital cameras (including medium- and large-format cameras). Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Both color and monochrome images will be accepted. (Scans of photographs taken with film cameras are not eligible.)
On the contest’s official website, Nikon says that the change is in response to the changing landscape of photography:

In the last 10 years, with the wide penetration of digital cameras, the environment surrounding photography and cameras has dramatically changed. And so the contest is changing as well, both in name and in structure.

The new guidelines this year rule out photos shot using the Nikon F6, a $3,000 professional film SLR that’s still in production.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/27/nikon-photo-contest-no-longer-accepts-photos-shot-using-film-cameras/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

That's....odd.

I can understand not wanted to accept prints/trannies for logistics reasons, but refusing to accept scans is definitely strange.

Unless they somehow think that a winner on film would be bad publicity for their digital cameras?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Pretty sure one of the categories required you to use a Nikon 1 camera. I think it is a way for them to show off new technology maybe? Who knows.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

would there really be a way they can tell for sure an image is a scanned and edited negative?

Is this also really one of the most prestigious photo competitions in the world?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paragon8 posted:

Is this also really one of the most prestigious photo competitions in the world?

Hahahaha no.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Hahahaha no.

okay that's a relief. I feel like petapixel is just the gawker of photography at this point

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

would there really be a way they can tell for sure an image is a scanned and edited negative?

My guess would be the exif data, but I don't know if they would disallow a photo because the exif was wiped.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Paragon8 posted:

okay that's a relief. I feel like petapixel is just the gawker of photography at this point

drat, I think that's the best description.

I did have to give pause when reading that whole prestigious comment myself. I've heard of it a couple of times but it never seemed like something many paid attention to.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

HookShot posted:

My guess would be the exif data, but I don't know if they would disallow a photo because the exif was wiped.

You can always use an EXIF editor (or in LR or PS) to add in bogus Nikon D900000 10-700mm 5.6 and all that jazz.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Or take a photo of a print.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

HPL posted:

yeah, it's a pretty farcical standard. Especially if they're allowing manipulated and composited images.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Dread Head posted:

Pretty sure one of the categories required you to use a Nikon 1 camera. I think it is a way for them to show off new technology maybe? Who knows.
Probably. So everyone knows the winners photo was taken with a D600 or whatever.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HPL posted:

Or even just a photo of the negative, then invert and submit.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

alkanphel posted:

Or even just a photo of the negative, then invert and submit.

You mean like a scanner does? :monocle:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Paragon8 posted:

If you stop caring about how other people use their stuff you'll probably end up much happier

Absolutely. You can stress out about how terrible other photographers are, or you can realize that you probably didn't want that gig if the client is willing to hire them.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Reichstag posted:

You mean like a scanner does? :monocle:

That might just blow the minds of some Nikon executives :psyboom:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Obvious solution: troll the competition. Shoot MF and hack the EXIF.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It sucks that Nikon isn't accepting film submissions anymore, but it's super funny to read all the foaming at the mouth on film camera forums from people who didn't even know this contest existed yesterday :lol:

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
Someone around here should definitely buy this

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

whereismyshoe posted:

Someone around here should definitely buy this

Just $50 and you won't have to hire an assistant to hold a reflector!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's certainly a thing:

http://blog.hipstamatic.com/post/34814095006/reportagebygettyimages-the-latest-cover-of

Probably not going to end the arguments over whether a cell phone can be a "legitimate" camera though. I assume it's going to fuel them for a while longer. :v:

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
What argument? It's a camera. It takes legitimate photos. Legitimate means authentic, proper. It's a Camera Obscura. What argument? It's a loving pinhole and a sensor. All cameras are pinholes with a sensor. Sometimes it's a man in a room tracing on a sheet of paper and sometimes it's the internal side of a truck covered in chemicals. What the gently caress are you talking about. What the gently caress. That's a nice photo. God hates you.

EDIT: gently caress

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant by "fuel".

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

'be there and have your smartphone' is the new 'be there and f/8'

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah, smartphones are the new P&S. Great for plenty of stuff, bad for some other stuff. Having a smartphone with an okay camera in it was one of the things that pushed me to sell my DSLR. No need for an expensive digital camera just for grab shots.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Helmacron is the best poster. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BobTheCow posted:

Helmacron is the best poster. :golfclap:

He has gone for gold in GBS.