Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

java is fine, i dont get the hate.
but it's ooooooold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I'm about to go full shaggar and dive into some java, but in a context that I'm sure he would hate. I'm downloading eclipse because:

me: 'okay the $php_web_framework is done'
boss: 'well uh I don't have anything else for you to do until the alpha test, but we're gonna need someone to maintain our android app eventually so uh, start learning android I guess?'

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

The paper blames the lib for being a badly designed POS that causes these errors.

Then they go on and blame the Java libraries built using the Java SSL stuff as being generically insecure, mostly because the underlying Java libraries are badly designed.

E: typoes

The big problem according to the paper is Apache HttpClient

quote:

The most widely used version of Apache HttpClient is 3.1, released in 2007. This library, as well as its earlier versions,
sets up SSL connections using JSSE’s SSLSocketFactory without performing its own hostname verification (see Sections 4.1 and 4.2).
As a consequence, Apache HttpClient 3.* accepts any certificate with a valid chain of trust, regardless of the name.

Which is then included in a bunch of middleware apps like Apache Axis, Axis 2, Codehaus XFire which in turn are used by important APIs like: Amazon EC2 API Tools, Amazon Flexible Payments Service, PayPal Payments Pro (Direct Payment), PayPal Transactional Information, PayPal Mass Pay, as well as Apache ActiveMQ.

It seems that there isn't any way for those APIs to even provide their own validation, even if they wanted to.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

WHOIS John Galt posted:

i'm probably going to start working in java soon. it's the absolute worst but at this point i don't see how it could be worse than anything else

still gonna script in python and experiment with go and clojure at home, gently caress the haters

java is just fine. sounds like the hater... is u

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
java isnt great and it isnt terrible it kind of just is.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Everyone should just get their own private key assigned at birth and use it for all secure transactions by simple encryption. It can be securely stored by tattooing it on the inside of the eyelid.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Zombywuf posted:

Everyone should just get their own private key assigned at birth and use it for all secure transactions by simple encryption. It can be securely stored by tattooing it on the inside of the eyelid.

or just burn it onto the retina so when you close your eyes really hard you can see it in purple for a sec

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

The paper blames the lib for being a badly designed POS that causes these errors.

Then they go on and blame the Java libraries built using the Java SSL stuff as being generically insecure, mostly because the underlying Java libraries are badly designed.

E: typoes

yeah i guess the default factory doesnt do hostname validation. thats kinda wierd. you can create your own validating factory easilty enough, but its kind of dumb that its not the default.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

still gonna script in python and experiment with go and clojure at home, gently caress the haters

keep that stuff at home where no one has to see it.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Socracheese posted:

I'm about to go full shaggar and dive into some java, but in a context that I'm sure he would hate. I'm downloading eclipse because:

me: 'okay the $php_web_framework is done'
boss: 'well uh I don't have anything else for you to do until the alpha test, but we're gonna need someone to maintain our android app eventually so uh, start learning android I guess?'

remember that IntelliJ [CE] exists

fought eclipse the last time i did android. had a more pleasurable time with intellij.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse is fine. you've just gotta tweak the heap + perm gen space and turn off the autocomplete delay.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Shaggar posted:

keep that stuff at home where no one has to see it.

same, but your posts

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

eclipse is fine. you've just gotta tweak the heap + perm gen space and turn off the autocomplete delay.

"eclipse is fine. you've just gotta configure a bunch of poo poo."

sounds a lot like linux

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"eclipse is fine. you've just gotta configure a bunch of poo poo."

sounds a lot like linux

Now you've done it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the heap+perm gen are 2 lines in the config and if a developer doesnt understand those concepts they shouldnt be developing.

the delay thing is in prefs and its dumb as hell that its set to 200ms by default, but w/e. theres probably some autist that gets mad when autocomplete is instant.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rotor posted:

java is fine, i dont get the hate.

if it ever got actual function pointers that'd be just the best.

I think it might already have that, but it's implemented in the standard library (java.lang.invoke.MethodHandle) and the incantation to construct one is really complicated and not type checked

otoh the resulting method handle can look just like e.g. a Runnable object and it seems to be much closer to metal than what it's pretending to be

so this might not be exactly what you're looking for

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

the heap+perm gen are 2 lines in the config and if a developer doesnt understand those concepts they shouldnt be developing.

the delay thing is in prefs and its dumb as hell that its set to 200ms by default, but w/e. theres probably some autist that gets mad when autocomplete is instant.

this is literally the argument gentoo fans use

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

seriously you're a post about belarussian tractors and an avatar with medals representing probations short of being teapot

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i debug teapot style

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

i debug teapot style

heeey sexy buffer

*op op op debug teapot style*

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cocoa Crispies posted:

heeey sexy buffer

god drat it i was singing it too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

heeey sexy buffer

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

heeey sexy buffer

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Cocoa Crispies posted:

heeey sexy buffer

fuuuuuck

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Cocoa Crispies posted:

heeey sexy buffer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
in my mind it's teapot and he's yelling at a copy of visual studio instead of a butt

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tiny Bug Child posted:

wrong and wrong. php's default settings are the correct behavior so you should leave them alone, unless you're dealing with someone who has a bad cert and doesn't really care about it, in which case you have no option but to disable validation

i do this by default too because otherwise your poo poo will break when the other guy forgets to renew his cert

just to say

what is more likely - a man in the middle attack, or the end point loving up their certificates. (

saying ssl settings must always be at the tinfoil level is a bit dumb, because the pain of cert management rarely does anything than generate more work.

now for mobile devices, using shared networks, open wifi, that's a different thing to a bunch of scripts running behind a website.

security seems to be mostly about making things impractical for the developer and hoping it applies to the attacker too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

in my mind it's teapot and he's yelling at a copy of visual studio instead of a butt

loooooooool

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

just to say

what is more likely - a man in the middle attack, or the end point loving up their certificates. (

saying ssl settings must always be at the tinfoil level is a bit dumb, because the pain of cert management rarely does anything than generate more work.

now for mobile devices, using shared networks, open wifi, that's a different thing to a bunch of scripts running behind a website.

security seems to be mostly about making things impractical for the developer and hoping it applies to the attacker too.

Pretty much, loving certificate expiration dates are dumb.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Hard NOP Life posted:

Pretty much, loving certificate expiration dates are dumb.

nope! they're there to say 'stop using this when someone can factor your keys'

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Yeah but you have no idea ahead of time how long in the future that will be. It's completely arbitrary right now.

If anything it should be a function of the algorithm and key strength.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hard NOP Life posted:

Yeah but you have no idea ahead of time how long in the future that will be. It's completely arbitrary right now.

If anything it should be a function of the algorithm and key strength.

so they're normally set for a year, because going from big breakthrough to somebody using it against you will probably take more than a year

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Socracheese posted:

or just burn it onto the retina so when you close your eyes really hard you can see it in purple for a sec

I would genuinely not be surprised if something like this happens in the next few years, though it would probably be an implanted chip.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
VPN for my poo poo uses perpetual certs because managing these things is a nightmare and I just use them as little more than longass passwords anyway

yes i am totally going to ask people to make their router generate certs (it can't) and then send me a certificate signing request and then send them back a signed certificate

or i could be literally the gestapo and generate their private keys for them, thereby enabling me to read their traffic... on the vpn... that i control...

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

tef posted:

That's mostly because security isn't really designed into languages/libraries/whatever but tacked on after the language as gotten some degree of popularity. CSRF protections should be built into the servlet container spec so that nobody ever has to worry about it again, but it's not. It should be really freaking difficult to execute a query that isn't precompiled rather than making using bind variables take the extra 3-4 steps. Why aren't the concepts of user, group, role, and function/method level security permissions built into every language? The last time I used Python (which was admittedly a while ago) it had 3 different command line parsing libraries and zero built in authentication and authorization libraries.

Don't poo poo on security folks, poo poo on the language and library designers who make it hard to be secure than insecure.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
does .net framework handle security/sandboxing as well as it seems to from my idiot poo poo coder perspective?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

does .net framework handle security/sandboxing as well as it seems to from my idiot poo poo coder perspective?

Dunno, I haven't worked much/any with .net. My heartless corporate overlords mandate the use of java.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

wins32767 posted:

That's mostly because security isn't really designed into languages/libraries/whatever but tacked on after the language as gotten some degree of popularity. CSRF protections should be built into the servlet container spec so that nobody ever has to worry about it again, but it's not. It should be really freaking difficult to execute a query that isn't precompiled rather than making using bind variables take the extra 3-4 steps. Why aren't the concepts of user, group, role, and function/method level security permissions built into every language? The last time I used Python (which was admittedly a while ago) it had 3 different command line parsing libraries and zero built in authentication and authorization libraries.

Don't poo poo on security folks, poo poo on the language and library designers who make it hard to be secure than insecure.

if there's data to store, then there's gonna be a crypto debate on how it should be stored, then a debate on how or where it should be stored, and then it will have an ORM debate, and ...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

I doesn't have c fuckups with regards to buffers and poo poo unless you put them in an "unsafe" block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

MononcQc posted:

if there's data to store, then there's gonna be a crypto debate on how it should be stored, then a debate on how or where it should be stored, and then it will have an ORM debate, and ...

That's equally true of pretty much any part of a standard library. Regardless, just like doing security remediation on an existing application, the existing languages are never going to get to where the security robustness and ease of use that something with security designed in from the start can have.

If someone writes a language that has security as one of the core objectives a lot of the current gnarliness could get abstracted away. Just like today you occasionally need an expert who understands the layout of memory in the Java heap to solve some problems you'll need an expert on the underlying security architecture but your average code monkey would be able to be secure without having to understand all the different twists and turns.