Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I'm still not impressed enough to buy it at launch when it will be in the bargain bin a year from now when more games are out.

Exactly. People are going to buy BLOPS 2, not a new IP.

It honestly looks awesome but without online play it's a rental or a bargain bin game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What happens in the UK is that the RRP is £50, then all retailers knock £10 off that to look good (20% off RRP!) but also because the only game that can get away with charging more than £40 is Call of Duty, than all the online retailers start shaving off one or two pounds here and there to get the cheapest price, which is why you end up with such weird prices. The same goes for budget games, just with a lower starting price.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Exactly. People are going to buy BLOPS 2, not a new IP.

It honestly looks awesome but without online play it's a rental or a bargain bin game for me.

I'm getting ZombiU as the pack in game, but I'd buy it over Blops 2 any day, though I'll admit that's probably not a widespread opinion.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 25, 2012

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Assuming Ubisoft run a competent campaign with Nintendo's support, I can see ZombiU being the "killer app" as far as marketing goes, whether the actual game delivers or not. If Nintendo is wise, they'll give it a big TV ad push, because it demonstrates both the capabilities of the controler and that popular "core" genres won't be ignored on Wii U.

I see it being successful with dads, to be honest. The kind of dads who buy new game console "for the kids," but are actually just obsessed with gadgets. There are at least 3 of those men in my family. And they all love zombie movies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder when they actually will start advertising the drat thing. Surely at least the games need to be advertised.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm honestly not sure why new IPs and third-party games suffer so much on Nintendo consoles....

I personally plan on waiting until ZombiU is at bargain bin prices.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'm honestly not sure why new IPs and third-party games suffer so much on Nintendo consoles....

quote:

You just answered your own question.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You just answered your own question.

I'm assuming :thejoke:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alec Eiffel posted:

Yeah, exactly. Despite all the praise it could just be hype. It's a new IP, we know next to nothing about the game, there's a lot of new ideas and twists on old ones going on. It's an experiment and we're the guinea pigs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

zenintrude posted:

I want this to be the second coming of Alien Front Online, but I'm definitely not buying it at full blown retail.

Has anyone here played both Tx3 and AFO?

I haven't played either of them but I've seen Tank! Tank! Tank! in the arcade and the machine's always being played, mostly by kids who go apeshit the entire time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So these are supposed to be set up at gamestops right? Went up to mind and when I asked "No way man no one is doing that, you're insane!!" Then proceeded to tell me that no one is setting a wii-u up stand anywhere till the console launches because it might get stolen or something stupid.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was wrong, again. I swear my gamestop is cool but this new guy acts like a loving know it all :psyduck:

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So these are supposed to be set up at gamestops right? Went up to mind and when I asked "No way man no one is doing that, you're insane!!" Then proceeded to tell me that no one is setting a wii-u up stand anywhere till the console launches because it might get stolen or something stupid.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was wrong, again. I swear my gamestop is cool but this new guy acts like a loving know it all :psyduck:

I played it at Gamestop yesterday.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Well TBH poo poo like this varies between areas. I work at staples and there's a bunch of new Windows 8 stuff coming out. In the lovely white-people populated areas the products are already out and have a bare-minimum amount of security.

We're still hiding most of the products and the ones that are out are bolted down and protected with cases and poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo is forecasting 22 million units of software for 5.5 million Wii U sales by march 2013.

Is that even possible? That's four games a person. I'm getting five at launch myself if you count the pack in, but I figure I'm a pretty big outlier and a lot of people won't even get the console til next year, having less time to buy four games. Seems like am overly rosy prediction, unless it counts the smaller e Shop games as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Nintendo is forecasting 22 million units of software for 5.5 million Wii U sales by march 2013.

Is that even possible? That's four games a person. I'm getting five at launch myself if you count the pack in, but I figure I'm a pretty big outlier and a lot of people won't even get the console til next year, having less time to buy four games. Seems like am overly rosy prediction, unless it counts the smaller e Shop games as well.

They're definitely setting themselves up for a fall. Did they learn nothing from the Wii?

A huge chunk of their audience are going to buy the console and be content with Mario and N-Land forever. Very few people will buy more than two games during the launch window.

The console +1 game is already >400 bucks, plus it's the holidays, there's a ton of poo poo that needs to be bought and Febuary~March isn't exactly a prime time to buy electronics when everyone is post-Christmas broke.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

I think just on the launch titles alone you can see three purchases a family. A lot of people here are stuck on choosing between ZombiU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and New Super Mario Bros Wii U. Then there will be families who will buy Scribblenauts Unlimited, Transformers Prime, Skylanders Giants and Rayman Legends. I think they added enough in Tekken Tag to make that worth buying exclusively to Wii U so there's that for fighting game fans. Epic Mickey 2 should sell. There will be the Wii only crowd that will think about purchasing Mass Effect 3, Darksiders II and Batman: Arkham Asylum. The Wii Fit people got Zumba Fitness Core, Your Shape and Just Dance 4. Some people might pick up Black ops II and Assassins Creed III. Don't see those exactly flopping.

I'd also add the revelation that Sonic And All Stars Transformed is only $39.99. That makes it a steal for anyone looking to add some games for the Wii U but only wants to spend $100 on new games.

There's going to be sports fans who will buy NBA 2K13, FIFA 13 or Madden 13 as well.

It's a really good first day launch. The launch window includes Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, Ninja Gaiden 3 and that Sing Party game that nobody is really talking about in the game media but I bet sells millions.

If I had the money, by March 2013 I'd probably own Sonic and All Stars, ZombiU, Darksiders II and maybe a fitness game because I plan to own a Wii Fit board again. Might get Mass Effect 3 as well if it doesn't set me back $60 or anything.

Four per is quite possible.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It hangs on Japan. If they get DQX WiiU ready ahead of time they'll definitely make the 22 million goal, as long as they get enough copies out.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrLonghair posted:

It hangs on Japan. If they get DQX WiiU ready ahead of time they'll definitely make the 22 million goal, as long as they get enough copies out.

Yeah, I should adjust what I said and make clear I don't think we'll see four per family but they'll sell enough games to hit 22 million.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U will probably sell 5 million copies alone by March.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

MrLonghair posted:

That and Monster Hunter. If both of those hit this holiday, the WiiU will clean loving house in Japan.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is a launch game in Japan. They even have a launch day bundle that's basically the Deluxe bundle with a Pro Controller and the game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is a launch game in Japan. They even have a launch day bundle that's basically the Deluxe bundle with a Pro Controller and the game.

Yeah. When the U became available in Japan it was a total wipe-out, models were gone in a couple of hours.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

It's a probable a somewhat rosy high-water mark. Not particularly unreasonable if you do count the pack-in, the original Wii hit 4 titles per console within a year with fewer titles available than the Wii U expects. It sounds like they expect to reach Wii software sales in half the time which is quite possible because of a stronger launch lineup.

That 4 figure is suddenly very reasonable if you count downloadable titles, though. And it's probably lowballing it if you count those and any original Wii software purchased for use on the Wii U since you can scoop a lot of things up for a relative pittance now.

With the 3DS and Wii, you couldn't attain a high attachment rate between software and hardware early on because there simply was not enough different software to purchase. There only were like four games total anybody would buy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was about to ask if that number was including downloads too. A cheaper download plus Nintendo Land, NSMB, and/or other random games doesn't seem too crazy. They have some big "core" games, Wii Fit and other exercise stuff, random party games like Sing and Just Dance, there's a decent coverage of stuff for different audiences.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

What's the price for Nano Assault Neo going to be like? 15 bucks? Less?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If Nintendo can efficiently encourage even casual users to check out the e-Shop, that 22 million could be hit a lot more easily with software downloads.

Also, since the Basic has no pack-in, it'll force its buyers into the mindset of "Oh I have to get some games", avoiding the issue where people thought the Wii was literally only for WiiSports.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

What's the price for Nano Assault Neo going to be like? 15 bucks? Less?

I think we're still waiting for the video conference that explains eShop including pricing, format, etc.

Supercar Gautier posted:

avoiding the issue where people thought the Wii was literally only for WiiSports.

I will never underestimate people and their irrational decisions. "Hey, this comes with a DVD I have to put into this plastic thingie. I guess I can only ever put one of these DVDs in ever! And what's this on the back of the box, other games? I guess I have to buy another $250 plastic thingie to play them! Should I call and ask questions or goto the retailer and see if this is true? Nope, going to just assume!"

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 26, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Todays onslaught of ZombiU previews and media isn't helping me keep a tighter hold on my money, it reads like Ubi have made up for Red Steel 1, universal praise specially for what the pad adds to the experience.

(Bunch of links in http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497056 )

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

If Nintendo can efficiently encourage even casual users to check out the e-Shop, that 22 million could be hit a lot more easily with software downloads.

Also, since the Basic has no pack-in, it'll force its buyers into the mindset of "Oh I have to get some games", avoiding the issue where people thought the Wii was literally only for WiiSports.
I also like how console launches make some people go kind of crazy with buying games. Instead of staggering game purchases over time, all of a sudden there's an impulsive need to buy everything they want all at once with the console.

...and yes I've done it before too :doh:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

japtor posted:

I also like how console launches make some people go kind of crazy with buying games. Instead of staggering game purchases over time, all of a sudden there's an impulsive need to buy everything they want all at once with the console.

...and yes I've done it before too :doh:.

You've got a shiny new toy. You've got to play with it.

I like to have three games when I buy a new console, myself. And I usually pick up another one or two in the next few months before I slow down to my usual wait for the bargain bin style.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
My metric is always "Can I justify the cost of the console with an equal cost in games?" and Wii U might be the first time that metric has been met at launch instead of having to factor in future games that I know are coming anyway. I'm definitely in for NSMBU and Darksiders 2, probably going to get Sonic All Stars Racing, maybe ZombiU, and The Wonderful 101 will be coming later in the launch window. That's $220-280 worth of the console right there, and we know there'll be a "proper" 3D Mario at some point, at least one Zelda, a Smash Bros and Mario Kart...

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I will never underestimate people and their irrational decisions. "Hey, this comes with a DVD I have to put into this plastic thingie. I guess I can only ever put one of these DVDs in ever! And what's this on the back of the box, other games? I guess I have to buy another $250 plastic thingie to play them! Should I call and ask questions or goto the retailer and see if this is true? Nope, going to just assume!"
Citation needed... This didn't actually happen.

Right? :ohdear:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

You sweet child.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chaltab posted:

There are people who purchased a Wii and thought it could only play Wii Sports. Supposedly.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Artix74 posted:

My metric is always "Can I justify the cost of the console with an equal cost in games?" and Wii U might be the first time that metric has been met at launch instead of having to factor in future games that I know are coming anyway. I'm definitely in for NSMBU and Darksiders 2, probably going to get Sonic All Stars Racing, maybe ZombiU, and The Wonderful 101 will be coming later in the launch window. That's $220-280 worth of the console right there, and we know there'll be a "proper" 3D Mario at some point, at least one Zelda, a Smash Bros and Mario Kart...

Let's not forget Monster Hunter in March!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What I have learned from the Wii's launch is that you can be surprised by it. I remember heading into it thinking that Twilight Princess was going to be the game that would hold me over. I ended up enjoying the Dragonball Z game much more and felt that Twilight Princess turned into a boring slog pretty quickly. So, I wonder what the hidden gem of the Wii's launch will be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man that dragon ball z game was awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It seems ridiculous to call it a "hidden gem" given that it's full of popular characters and is a sequel to a game that sold millions of copies but I really think Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed is gonna end up being a go-to game during the launch period. The first one was surprisingly okay but the new one is the first kart racer in a long time that looks like it might actually be able to hang with Mario Kart.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

greatn posted:

Man that dragon ball z game was awesome.

It was repetitive and it was pretty shallow, but I had fun with it and there was a lot of content in it if you really liked the show.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It seems ridiculous to call it a "hidden gem" given that it's full of popular characters and is a sequel to a game that sold millions of copies but I really think Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed is gonna end up being a go-to game during the launch period. The first one was surprisingly okay but the new one is the first kart racer in a long time that looks like it might actually be able to hang with Mario Kart.

At $39.99 it's the kind of gift I can suggest for my sister to get for me at Christmas and it would be in her price range.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So that guy from IGN was talking about something big being revealed today that wasn't part of the Nintendo Direct? Did that ever come to light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Nickoten posted:

So that guy from IGN was talking about something big being revealed today that wasn't part of the Nintendo Direct? Did that ever come to light?

I think it was just an embargo lift on some new ZombiU direct-feed stuff. In all fairness, it does look to be Wii U's best launch exclusive.

• Locked thread