Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
One can fill a carboy with cider pretty high, right? It doesn't produce nearly as much foam and such as beer?

E: VVV Awesome, thanks. Maxing out my 3gallon then hehe.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ChiTownEddie posted:

One can fill a carboy with cider pretty high, right? It doesn't produce nearly as much foam and such as beer?

Yeah. I plan on doing my batch in my 5 gallon glass carboy.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

crazyfish posted:

Right you are. 1.115 -> 1.044.

Hot drat. And obv I meant 1.060.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

global tetrahedron posted:

And obv I meant 1.060.

Please stop ruining our fun.

almost
Sep 2, 2012

almost fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 15, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

almost posted:

What's the difference between using Starsan in an airlock and bleach? How quickly do each evaporate? Does just plain water evaporate out of an airlock pretty quickly? Is an airlock something you generally have to keep refilling?

Bleach lends off flavours and it's kinda not good to drink. Starsan IIRC is safe (though I still wouldn't drink it) at normal dilution levels.

Honestly, I just use super cheap vodka. It's sterile out of the package, safe for consumption, and if a little gets sucked into my beer, the awful cheap vodka taste won't be noticed.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
For one, if bleach gets sucked into the fermenter for whatever reason, things are now less good. If it happens to Star-San, it's fine, because yeast likes Star-San.

Bleach definitely evaporates a lot faster than water.

The reason to not use straight water is because things can colonize the water from the outside. Star-San or vodka, not so much. I use Aristocrat, since everything in life has a purpose and it's not like it's drinkable. :v:

e: oh goddammit. :arghfist::downs:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I don't know about bleach but water and Star San do not evaporate from an airlock very fast at all. Star San is ideal for this since it's a sanitizer when at the proper concentration but if it gets into the beer it will dilute down and the yeast will just eat it.

E: Butts. Oh and I tasted Star San once and it's nearly flavor less.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

For one, if bleach gets sucked into the fermenter for whatever reason, things are now less good. If it happens to Star-San, it's fine, because yeast likes Star-San.

Bleach definitely evaporates a lot faster than water.

The reason to not use straight water is because things can colonize the water from the outside. Star-San or vodka, not so much. I use Aristocrat, since everything in life has a purpose and it's not like it's drinkable. :v:

e: oh goddammit. :arghfist::downs:

Yeah. I use Mohawk because of price and in case a dirty sorority girl shows up and demands a vodka drink.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Update on my rushed berry cider extract: very slow airlock activity yesterday (it's been 7 days, just as the instructions say), and today I transferred it from the fermentation bucket to the bottling bucket, mixed in sugar and the berry additive and put it in two 10-liter bags (like wine-in-a-box). Tried it, and it's not carbonated hardly at all, but there's no yeasty or off taste at all. There was a slight yeast coating at the bottom of the glass, but the pouring spigots are raised about an inch off the bottom of the bag so that should keep the heaviest of the particles from getting in what we actually drink.

The instructions say to let it condition for a few days, then put it somewhere cool to clear, but I basically have less than 24 hours until folks get here - what's the thoughts on putting the cider back in the hot water closet (temp about 23C) for nearly a day, then putting it in the fridge? Is there any chance that will give it some quick carbonation?

almost
Sep 2, 2012

almost fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 15, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

almost posted:

Is it ok to sanitize your bucket with Bleach?

Star-San's the way to go again.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

almost posted:

I wish cheap vodka were a thing here. If the wine shop has Starsan I'll get that I guess.

Bleach will sanitize your bucket, but I've always heard that bleach is generally unsafe without being rinsed, which is then unsanitary.

Palmer says "[t]he cheapest and most readily available sanitizing solution is made by adding 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water (4 ml per liter). Let the items soak for 20 minutes, and then drain. Rinsing is supposedly not necessary at this concentration, but many brewers, myself included, rinse with some boiled water anyway to be sure of no off-flavors from the chlorine."

I sure as hell wouldn't use bleach.

mewse
May 2, 2006

almost posted:

Yeah but it's not a cleaner, and you have to rinse with boiled water. 1 tablespoon per gallon

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I wonder if you could cook the bleach off with a heating element, like a salamander or a lamp?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Instead of using bleach, why not just make an Iodophor solution? You can make it out of Betadine at a dilution of 1.25ml per liter. They have Betadine at practically every pharmacy and grocery store in the world.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

hellfaucet posted:

Yeah. I use Mohawk because of price and in case a dirty sorority girl shows up and demands a vodka drink.
I use Barton vodka, because A) it's charcoal filtered, which must mean it's extra-good, and B) it's $6.99/Liter around here.

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
Visiting Philadelphia last weekend, I was able to try Hill Farmstead Simcoe Pale Ale and I really liked it. Since I can't get it here in the Midwest I'd figure to brew something like it, and was wondering what you guys think if this recipe:

10 lb. Rahr 2-row
1 lb. 40L
.25 Carapils

1oz Simcoe 60 min
1oz Simcoe 20 min
1oz Simcoe 10 min

2oz Simcoe Dryhop approx 7 days

OG 1.060, FG 1.015, Cali Ale Yeast, Bitterness 90 IBUs, 8 SRM,

Hopville used for the calculations

Raveen fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 25, 2012

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Angry Grimace posted:

Instead of using bleach, why not just make an Iodophor solution? You can make it out of Betadine at a dilution of 1.25ml per liter. They have Betadine at practically every pharmacy and grocery store in the world.

When any equipment (buckets especially) need a cleaning I use bleach solution, then rinse, then use an iodophor solution. Seems to work fine for me, and a big bottle of betadine cost me 12 bucks up here in Canada; it's lasted me 6 brews or so, and is only half empty.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Cold crashing secondaries is loving awesome. Some of the best advice I've gotten so far. I just kegged my first IPA and this poo poo is crystal clear without the use of Irish Moss or other additives.

Raveen posted:

Simcoe recipe

This sounds awesome. If you ever see bottles of Simcoe Silly by Kuhnhenn's floating around the midwest, this sounds somewhat similar. It's one of my favorites from Kuhnhenn's by far. I'm really into Simcoe hops in both bittering and aromatic doses and have been plotting to use it as soon as I can get a good fresh batch of them.

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 25, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

hellfaucet posted:

This sounds awesome. If you ever see bottles of Simcoe Silly by Kuhnhenn's floating around the midwest, this sounds somewhat similar. It's one of my favorites from Kuhnhenn's by far. I'm really into Simcoe hops in both bittering and aromatic doses and have been plotting to use it as soon as I can get a good fresh batch of them.

You may be interested in tinkering with first wort hopping; I recently ran into an evangelist for it and his beers were excellent. Here's a (randomly-chosen) mini article to get you started:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/05/09/first-wort-hopping/

Google for more info, natch.

e:

Hey guys, tell me about using mead yeasts in beer and beer yeasts in mead, or why each is a terrible idea.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 26, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Could you cold crash a primary?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Could you cold crash a primary?

Fo sho.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

How long does a 5lb CO2 tank last you?

I started a 5 gallon keg about a month ago, probably 4 gallons into it now, and the needle on the regulator is preeety close to the "buy more gas" zone.

It should be lasting longer than that, right? I used soapy water when I set everything up and didn't see any leaks.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

kitten smoothie posted:

I started a 5 gallon keg about a month ago, probably 4 gallons into it now, and the needle on the regulator is preeety close to the "buy more gas" zone.

It should be lasting longer than that, right? I used soapy water when I set everything up and didn't see any leaks.

Is your bottle in the fridge? If so, that gauge is effectively telling you that you have some gas. How much is a mystery, but you have some.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

kitten smoothie posted:

Long enough that I took advantage of the deal to upgrade to a 10# for free.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Home Brewing Thread IV: My God it's Full of Star San

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

What's the max OG you'd feel okay about using just 1 packet of US-05 in? Got an IPA on deck that will be about 1.070. I always rehydrate fwiw.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Midwest Supplies posted:

Get 10% off your entire order all weekend long.
Enter promo code "BESTCUSTOMERS" at checkout to get 10% off your purchases.
Thank you for being our customer, we couldn't do it without you.
Just got this in my e-mail, will probably work for everyone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
(Cross-posted to both beer threads)

Is anyone else going to the Annapolis Craft Beer and Music Festival tomorrow? Brewery list is pretty nice:

Fordham/Dominion
Oskar Blues
Union Craft Brewing
Crispin
Lagunitas
Eastern Shore
Heavy Seas
Boulevard
Port City
Yards
Flying Dog
Burley Oak
Breckenridge
Widmer
Weyerbacher
Sierra Nevada
Goose Island
Starr Hill
New Belgium
Evolution
16 Mile
Dogfish Head

$20 for a DD - no tokens
$30 standard - includes 5 tasting tokens (more available for $1.00 a pop)
$40 for VIP - early admission and social hour, all the breweries have VIP-only offerings, free pass for the seminars
$5 on-site parking

They're expecting walk-in tickets to run out quick, so order online if you can.

I'll be wandering around the whole time; if you see a tall bastard with sweet muttonchops and a short (and lovely) wife, it's probably us. Say hello!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

What's the max OG you'd feel okay about using just 1 packet of US-05 in? Got an IPA on deck that will be about 1.070. I always rehydrate fwiw.

1.070 is where I'd put two. I've done 1.067 with a single rehydrated US05 and had no problems at all with yeast stress or attenuation, but beyond that point I'd at least consider using two.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 26, 2012

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Quick question: due to mistakes and circumstances out of my control I have active yeast smackpacks that I need to use right away but don't really have the time before I go on vacation. I can brew both batches tonight but I'm not going to be able to pitch one of the yeasts until Sunday so I have time to get a starter going (it's a highgrav).

If I brew all the wort tonight there should be no reason I can't just let it sit until Sunday before pitching yeast into it right? Am I worried about nothing?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Quick question: due to mistakes and circumstances out of my control I have active yeast smackpacks that I need to use right away but don't really have the time before I go on vacation. I can brew both batches tonight but I'm not going to be able to pitch one of the yeasts until Sunday so I have time to get a starter going (it's a highgrav).

If I brew all the wort tonight there should be no reason I can't just let it sit until Sunday before pitching yeast into it right? Am I worried about nothing?

Do you have the equipment needed to make a yeast starter? If so, I'd make a starter and then refrigerate it over the weekend and then decant and pitch on Sunday.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah I totally can make starters, what I'm asking (poorly worded) is it okay to make wort tonight but not pitch yeast into it until Sunday.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah I totally can make starters, what I'm asking (poorly worded) is it okay to make wort tonight but not pitch yeast into it until Sunday.

There are much more knowledgeable folks than me here, but from my noobish knowledge, I'm pretty sure you really don't want to do that as the wort would have a much higher chance of infection or contamination during the period it is sitting at room temperature.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

hellfaucet posted:

There are much more knowledgeable folks than me here, but from my noobish knowledge, I'm pretty sure you really don't want to do that as the wort would have a much higher chance of infection or contamination during the period it is sitting at room temperature.

Exactly, in an ideal world this would work but in reality it does mean a much higher chance of infection.

However - I do recall some people had validated that a "no chill" method works and may be of some use for you.

Essentially in order to completely bypass the chilling step some people found you could pour the still boiling wort into a sealable container (that can handle the heat of course) and then splash the hot wort around so that it basically pasteurizes the container.

So you could do that and then let it sit for two days.

I still wouldn't do it. Usually if I'm in a situation like this I just double-pitch yeast but I live a few blocks away from an awesome HBS so I understand this might not be possible for you.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
e: /\/\/\ that sounds cool, if uncomfortably risky. :v:

hellfaucet posted:

This. Like any food that's prime real estate for microbes, you want to minimize the amount of time your wort is out of the Safe Zone until you can get it infected with your intended critter. I suppose you could refrigerate it, but that's still a lot riskier than waiting to make your wort on Sunday.

Based on my experience so far, the smack packs, even activated, will be fine for a while in the fridge for several days at least; you should be fine to just leave them, go vacationing, and come back to brew. You're supposed to smack them a day in advance anyway, another day won't hurt. The reasoning behind the smack packs is not to force you to use them as soon as they inflate; rather, it's to prove to you that the yeast inside is viable before you make your wort (so you can go find good yeast if necessary before your wort is prepared and ringing the bacteria dinner bell).

One or more of mine is usually swelling by the time I get the package in the mail (even with ice packs), and I've then thrown them in the fridge for multiple weeks with no issue.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 26, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Question on smack packs, are you supposed to make starters with them? Would I smack them and wait for it to grow then pour into the prepared starter or what?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

Question on smack packs, are you supposed to make starters with them? Would I smack them and wait for it to grow then pour into the prepared starter or what?

Depends on wort gravity. I use the Mr. Malty calculator to determine pitch rate and use that figure to determine whether or not I need a starter, though no matter what Mr. Malty says I typically don't make a starter for under 1.050 (5 gallon batches) or the sour blends (the sour blends are built around specific ratios of sacc/brett/lacto/pedio that get thrown out of whack when making a starter, and trust me, you won't have attenuation issues when brett/pedio/lacto are involved).

When I do make starters out of smack packs, I typically will make them just like I would during a direct pitch - inflate the pack (if it's not too old) and pitch the inflated pack in the starter wort.

edit:

According to Mr. Malty, you're about 20% under (~240 billion cells/5 gal), but I've always found it to be a bit skeptical about your pitch rate needs. It's probably worth it to buy another $3 yeast pack.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I think the smack pack thingy is like a tiny starter, basically a small amount of sugar and yeast nutrient. It gets the yeast active so your ferment starts slightly faster, but you aren't going to see any appreciable increase in cell count the way you would with a full-size starter--which is the real point of making a starter, IMO.