Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
A good robbery mini-game mechanic would be if there was a countdown starting right after you held up the clerk, and you had to clean up the register and get away before it hit zero. Or else you would get 2 stars after you. Wich would mean you have to have an exit plan ready when you intend to do a stick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
So Gamespot is doing a live stream of GTA games and drat do I miss San Andreas. Especially how surprisingly fun it was to just ride bicycles to different locations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The best part about riding bicycles was getting your bike skill to max and then bunnyhopping over houses :hellyeah:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
From what it sounds like it isn't in the cards for GTA5, but I'd like a GTA game where you're basically a Reservoir Dog. An actual "professional" criminal rather than some random person who gets swept up in other people's schemes.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Install Gentoo posted:

What I really hated about SA's gang territories was that some of them were absurdly small and a pain in the rear end to actually take over. Like there was one that was only a sidewalk and one side of a road or something; total bitch!

Imagine you conquered all the territory, including that little bit of sidewalk. Then that mission happens and suddenly woops all that efforts gone to waste, try again next time you're in the city. I hated that part of the game.

Edit; I read terribly, completely skipped over Jerusalem's post.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

precision posted:

From what it sounds like it isn't in the cards for GTA5, but I'd like a GTA game where you're basically a Reservoir Dog. An actual "professional" criminal rather than some random person who gets swept up in other people's schemes.

Yeah, and this is kind of the vibe I'm getting from V, which is exciting. Even from just the jewelry store robbery scene it seems like we're getting a protagonist who's got his stuff together, procuring a van and disguises and all, as opposed to IV's chucklefucks simply robbing a bank in ski-masks.

I only hope that the process you have to go through to get that van and those disguises is more involved than "steal it", and hints at the return of owning businesses.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Going by the voiceover in the trailer, it sounds like the protagonist (or at least the narrator) is a career criminal who moves to a new city to try and escape his violent past.

So exactly like Niko, CJ, Tommy and Claude.

edit;

The Trailer posted:

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather. Or the, ahh, I dunno, that thing! That magic. You see it in the movies.

I wanted to retire from what I was doing, y'know? From that, that, line of work. Be a good guy for once, a family man.

So I bought a big house. Came here, put my feet up and thought I'd be a dad like all the other dads. And my kids? They'd be like the kids on TV, we'd play ball and sit in the sun.

But, y'know how it is.

webmeister fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 25, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

webmeister posted:

The best part about riding bicycles was getting your bike skill to max and then bunnyhopping over houses :hellyeah:

Best way to build this is 4 stars, a BMX bike, and a set of destinations/easter eggs to visit all across the state.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
All of this talk about San Andreas and the gang territories but no mention of the glitch in the PS2 version that let you turn the entire map (not just Los Santos) into different gang territories? I remember accidentally triggering it on my first play through and being able to wage war against the Triads in San Fierro. Also, Ballers spawning on the ocean floor...

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

webmeister posted:

Going by the voiceover in the trailer, it sounds like the protagonist (or at least the narrator) is a career criminal who moves to a new city to try and escape his violent past.

So exactly like Niko, CJ, Tommy and Claude.

edit;

The guy in the trailer also sounds like a rich middle-aged white guy (with kids), so I wonder how that's going to work out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Matt Rimsey" confirmed as protagonist for GTA5.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Here's a dumb question. I just started playing through TBOGT on PC and I hooked up a wired 360 controller. Every time I use the hand brake to drift around a corner, the camera freaks out and does a 360 along with the car, making it impossible to see where I'm going.

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing to make it not do this? I have DirectInput on and I installed the proper drivers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Install Gentoo posted:

What I really hated about SA's gang territories was that some of them were absurdly small and a pain in the rear end to actually take over. Like there was one that was only a sidewalk and one side of a road or something; total bitch!

As I mentioned, if you had a sniper rifle you could get around this. Only YOU had to be in the area of territory to be contested. If you stood in a thin sliver of remaining territory and used the sniper rifle, you could pick off gangmembers walking around in YOUR territory a long way away and it would trigger a gangwar in the area that you were standing in.

Still annoying, but at least it didn't mean you were stuck with a little sliver of territory you could never hope to control.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

get out posted:

Here's a dumb question. I just started playing through TBOGT on PC and I hooked up a wired 360 controller. Every time I use the hand brake to drift around a corner, the camera freaks out and does a 360 along with the car, making it impossible to see where I'm going.

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing to make it not do this? I have DirectInput on and I installed the proper drivers.
In the Game options menu theres an option somewhere called "Chasecam handbrake" or something along those lines. Disable that and the camera acts as normal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

precision posted:

"Matt Rimsey" confirmed as protagonist for GTA5.

Only Rockstar is able to deliver such cutting-edge social commentary.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Therefore it's okay that the option to turn it off is broken?

I can't think of a better bug to have.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
In "drat, I'm getting old." news Rockstar is releasing Grand Theft Auto Vice City for certain IOS and Android devices in celebration of the tenth anniversary of Vice City's release.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/45851/celebrating-the-grand-theft-auto-vice-city-10th-anniversary-plus.html

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

BrandonGK posted:

In "drat, I'm getting old." news Rockstar is releasing Grand Theft Auto Vice City for certain IOS and Android devices in celebration of the tenth anniversary of Vice City's release.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/45851/celebrating-the-grand-theft-auto-vice-city-10th-anniversary-plus.html
Sweet I finished GTA3 on iphone a couple months ago.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

BrandonGK posted:

Well, I guess we know what game is next. Who knows, maybe we'll get IV on mobile one of these days too.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have never owned a smart[hone but I will be getting one soon for work, does this mean If I happen to get a high-end smartphone I can run GTA on it?

It won't influence my purchase but it would be a perk.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

BrandonGK posted:

Wow gently caress, 10 years. I remember the day at the school looking at all the leaked map images and weapons based on QA testers and arriving at home and just playing it for 7 hours straight, giving 0 fucks about my homework.

I feel old as gently caress :qq:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zedd posted:

I have never owned a smart[hone but I will be getting one soon for work, does this mean If I happen to get a high-end smartphone I can run GTA on it?

It won't influence my purchase but it would be a perk.
Yeah, GTAIII is already out and it's actually a really good port. The touchscreen controls aren't too bad and it looks and runs just like the original, maybe even a little smoother.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I found any combat to be pretty much unplayable in the port. I was really disappointed with that, but the driving was really good.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Well, I guess we know what game is next. Who knows, maybe we'll get IV on mobile one of these days too.

I know, I can't wait for Grand Theft Auto Advance to finally be ported to Android and iOS!

minus world
Sep 23, 2009

"good poster"
I cannot even imagine playing a few missions in Vice City on a iphone or ipad. Hard to think it's been 10 years already. I remember having to go to three different stores to find a copy before going to a Best Buy and seeing that they still had a million copies left in stock.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

csidle posted:

I found any combat to be pretty much unplayable in the port. I was really disappointed with that, but the driving was really good.

I don't remember much combat in Chinatown Wars on my iPod, just a whole lot of drug dealing. So many drugs.

Why was drug dealing so fun oh god can't stop send help

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

fauxical posted:

I cannot even imagine playing a few missions in Vice City on a iphone or ipad. Hard to think it's been 10 years already. I remember having to go to three different stores to find a copy before going to a Best Buy and seeing that they still had a million copies left in stock.

I don't know why everyone always forgot about Best Buy. It used to be that all the other stores would be out but Best Buy always had plenty of copies. Then all the other stores died and Best Buy is all that's left besides Gamestop.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why everyone always forgot about Best Buy. It used to be that all the other stores would be out but Best Buy always had plenty of copies. Then all the other stores died and Best Buy is all that's left besides Gamestop.

Well Walmart is still around but you're right, options have sort of dwindled in the wake of Gamestop's expansion. Even more so now that Best Buy is in the shitter.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If I remember correctly the place everyone really did forget last time around was Toys R Us. Not sure if they still stock game consoles or if people let the cat out of the bag about that or if its still one of the better places to run to if you didn't preorder in time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

If I remember correctly the place everyone really did forget last time around was Toys R Us. Not sure if they still stock game consoles or if people let the cat out of the bag about that or if its still one of the better places to run to if you didn't preorder in time.

Yeah Toys R Us still carries games but they do tend to stock less of M-rated games in general.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
So why did Mike Toreno release Sweet from prison?

More importantly why did he release Sweet from prison when he did?

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 26, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Because he sees CJ, Sweet, and Grove Street as a lesser evil than Smoke, The Ballas, and Tenpenny.

The timing is because he's done with CJ, he doesn't need him anymore and he's probably off to some other part of the world, but he sees a way to still use him for the greater good which is his whole gimmick as a character, doing bad stuff to make the world a better place.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

fauxical posted:

It's unreal. I remember waiting in Gamestop at the mall with my little preorder slip, being so loving excited. Vice City remains the best game in the series, I think -- the setting is perfect, the city was huge but not unmanageable and you didn't get bogged down in micromanaging and character building like you do in San Andreas.

That, and the soundtrack was amazing. I had the box set and loved it before it got lost in a move, and it's hard to find at a decent price these days.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hatbox Ghost posted:

So why did Mike Toreno release Sweet from prison?

More importantly why did he release Sweet from prison when he did?

Because at some point even a dead-eyed monster like Toreno will sit back and say,"Holy gently caress this dude just raided a naval base, hijacked a fighter-plane, successfully killed at least one (maybe 3!) trained fighter-pilots in a dogfight, then pulled off an inch perfect bombing run all at my command..... maybe it's time I did him a solid?"

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

K8.0 posted:

Because he sees CJ, Sweet, and Grove Street as a lesser evil than Smoke, The Ballas, and Tenpenny.

The timing is because he's done with CJ, he doesn't need him anymore and he's probably off to some other part of the world, but he sees a way to still use him for the greater good which is his whole gimmick as a character, doing bad stuff to make the world a better place.

Yeah, that's probably what happened. I just wish they could have given a little more closure on what that guy was up to. So he was orchestrating the Loco Syndicate in order to raise funds for resistance groups, it's really based upon conspiracy theories and the cocaine trafficking scandals of the 1980's, but then what were the implications of CJ offing his entire posse? Why did he abandon the project so readily and why did he start sending CJ after rival agencies after that point? What's the story behind his little auto club in the desert? I feel like all the clues are there but I just haven't figured it out yet :tinfoil:

Jerusalem posted:

Because at some point even a dead-eyed monster like Toreno will sit back and say,"Holy gently caress this dude just raided a naval base, hijacked a fighter-plane, successfully killed at least one (maybe 3!) trained fighter-pilots in a dogfight, then pulled off an inch perfect bombing run all at my command..... maybe it's time I did him a solid?"

Nah he's too hip for that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well technically Smoke could be linked back to the San Fierro drug trade and potentially implicate Toreno (Ryder met with him and the others in that out of the way spot in the countryside) so releasing Sweet was probably the best guarantee that Toreno could have that Smoke would be killed without him actively taking part in "silencing" him. Since Toreno had no use for the drug trade as a means to an end anymore, killing everybody that could link him to it makes sense, especially as Smoke was clearly becoming more unstable and paranoid while CJ was on the way up and highly unlikely to put him and his family and their burgeoning legitimate business empire at risk by trying to bring down Toreno.

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

So does anyone still play GTA 4 multiplayer? I reinstalled EFLC last night and only found one other player. Do I need some special settings or is there really nobody else playing? I miss the 16-player "Stars in your Eyes" GTA races :(

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
http://www.gtagaming.com/news/comments.php?i=2082

quote:

Since GameInformer let us know that GTA V would grace the cover of their December issue, we have all been anticipating exactly when the magazine will arrive. Well, now we have the answer: 11/8/12

Two weeks from now, GameInformer will show off their massive 18 page preview of V featuring new information, screens and artworks. To put that in perspective, their articles on Vice City, San Andreas and IV were only 10 pages each. They'll start the day by revealing the cover and breaking down the issue before the complete magazine becomes available to digital subscribers later that afternoon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hate how they always use Game Informer. Mostly because those rear end in a top hat gamestop employees won't just let you buy one. Uhhhh, you can't buy the magazine, you can only subscribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

drat, really hope we're gonna get blown away with content/amazement, I know R* will prevail.

• Locked thread