Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Has anyone had any structural integrity issues with their Retina pros? I have a slight bend in the case on the right palm rest, about a quarter of an inch in from the edge, and like two inches long. I'm pretty sure this is from holding it. I've been pretty careful, and this thing is flawless apart from that.

Not sure if they'll just laugh at me if I complain about it.

Aluminum shouldn't plastically deform from holding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So, what would the difference be between a normal MBP screen and a rMBP? Like is it completely obvious difference or? I'm just wondering if the screen really is superb or if it's more of a gimmick type deal (I'm sure it's great, just wondering)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

barfoid posted:

I'm looking to buy what will be my first Mac computer. I own a first gen ipad, iphone 4, and a $400 Toshiba Failtop that I have not replaced because I just use my ipad for everything at home unless I really need a laptop for some reason. I do all my work on the work computer.

I want to get a macbook air. I will use it primarily for ~web browsing~, very light gaming, music. basically nothing taxing at all.

Any reason not to pull the trigger on this refurb for $1269? It's my understanding that refurbs are basically brand new?

2012 Model
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
4GB memory
256GB flash storage
720p FaceTime HD camera
Intel HD Graphics 4000

My only teeny tiny caveat would be to maybe look at one with 8gb of RAM if you can find it. With either 4 or 8 gigs, it's still going to be a fantastic computer- IMO the best on the market for what you're planning to do with it.

And I disagree about getting the 11" one- at least without comparing it to a 13" in person. The 11" form totally boosts the portability factor of what's all ready an extremely portable machine and it's awesome for a lot of people. Many people (myself included) find the screen size just too awkward to use comfortably as a main machine. I'm sure I'd get used to it pretty quickly if I had one, but I think 13" is pretty much the sweet spot for portability and comfort. Considering that you've already got an iPad, I think you're probably better off with the bigger screen.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 26, 2012

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

Guni posted:

So, what would the difference be between a normal MBP screen and a rMBP? Like is it completely obvious difference or? I'm just wondering if the screen really is superb or if it's more of a gimmick type deal (I'm sure it's great, just wondering)

It's great. I hate other screens now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Guni posted:

Honestly, you're better off going to a fruit stand/Best Buy and playing with one in person. It's really easy to go into the control panel and futz around with the different display density settings. Doing that for about 5-10 minutes will let you figure out everything you'd want to know.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TUSR posted:

Aluminum shouldn't plastically deform from holding it.
This is exactly why I'm totally mystified.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And I disagree about getting the 11" one- at least without comparing it to a 13" in person. The 11" form totally boosts the portability factor of what's all ready an extremely portable machine and it's awesome for a lot of people. Many people (myself included) find the screen size just too awkward to use comfortably as a main machine. I'm sure I'd get used to it pretty quickly if I had one, but I think 13" is pretty much the sweet spot for portability and comfort. Considering that you've already got an iPad, I think you're probably better off with the bigger screen.

After using the 11" for a while, when you pop the 13" open it's like sitting in front of a 27" iMac. Really.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

barfoid posted:

I'm looking to buy what will be my first Mac computer. I own a first gen ipad, iphone 4, and a $400 Toshiba Failtop that I have not replaced because I just use my ipad for everything at home unless I really need a laptop for some reason. I do all my work on the work computer.

I want to get a macbook air. I will use it primarily for ~web browsing~, very light gaming, music. basically nothing taxing at all.

Any reason not to pull the trigger on this refurb for $1269? It's my understanding that refurbs are basically brand new?

2012 Model
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
4GB memory
256GB flash storage
720p FaceTime HD camera
Intel HD Graphics 4000

You're going to love it. I was in the same position about a year and a half ago with my 13" 2011 Air being my first Mac. It's a great way to get into it. On the RAM tip, there's always next upgrade cycle and between now and then you can feel out your needs. If I didn't play any games at all I'd never question my decision to get the stock model with 4GB. In any case it's an Apple direct refurb so jump on it!

barfoid
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kenny Logins posted:

You're going to love it. I was in the same position about a year and a half ago with my 13" 2011 Air being my first Mac. It's a great way to get into it. On the RAM tip, there's always next upgrade cycle and between now and then you can feel out your needs. If I didn't play any games at all I'd never question my decision to get the stock model with 4GB. In any case it's an Apple direct refurb so jump on it!

On the RAM issue, the only refurb in stock with 8 gigs of ram is the completely maxed out model. A little more than I'd like to spend.

About the next refresh cycle. I'm going to be kicking myself if retina comes out on the air soon after buying. What is the normal way to sell your Mac when it's time to upgrade?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

barfoid posted:

On the RAM issue, the only refurb in stock with 8 gigs of ram is the completely maxed out model. A little more than I'd like to spend.

About the next refresh cycle. I'm going to be kicking myself if retina comes out on the air soon after buying. What is the normal way to sell your Mac when it's time to upgrade?
Upgrade advice when you're in the market for a refurb is totally different than when you're buying new. If buying new the $100 + tax is definitely worth it to double RAM, but when you go online direct Apple refurb it's obviously a different scenario.

As for a refresh, I think we're a little ways away from seeing the Air with Retina especially since a RMBP 13" just came out, and it's basically 90% of the way towards being an Air anyway. The only real sea change will be price, and that falls very slowly. I think you bought at a good time (first good 2012 refurb availability).

As for selling, I would try your local online classifieds (e.g. Craigslist, Kijiji) but some people aren't comfortable with selling a $1000+ machine direct second hand. Also depends on your local market and timing (selling right before or after a new refresh, whether you're in a college town or not).

Apple used to do MacBook buybacks but don't know if they do anymore. Premium Resellers still do for sure, and there's always the online traders. You lose a bit of profit but it's less hassle, quicker and may be safer. Personally I will probably pass mine down to my wife, sister or my parents when I upgrade if the local Premium Reseller doesn't want to give me a good price when the time comes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

barfoid posted:

Sell it on SAmart. Unless you're selling a P-p-p-p-PowerBook you should have no problem finding a trustworthy buyer. Craigslist can work too, but be wily. There's a rule of thumb for what price to expect to sell for but I can't remember it and I'm posting from my iPhone in China. Someone else here can give you the schpeel.

P-p-p-p-PowerBook refers to an infamous attempted scam that was turned around on the scammer with much merriment and rejoicing among goonkind. If you were to sell an actual PowerBook on these forums, somebody would probably buy it from you.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 26, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Bob Morales posted:

After using the 11" for a while, when you pop the 13" open it's like sitting in front of a 27" iMac. Really.

Hahaha yup. The 13" seems like this absurd dining tray or something if you use an 11" regularly.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

krooj posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't really like the idea of a "fusion" drive? SSDs are already cheap, and getting cheaper, so it seems to me that the only thing Apple is doing is adding perceived value to a resource (secondary storage) which they are already horrendously gouging for.

Also, I am curious to see how the performance differs from that of a regular hybrid drive.

The whole idea feels kludgey and "not quite there yet" to me, kind of like when everyone was using zip and jaz drives in the late nineties for a year or two until suddenly CDR's were ubiquitous.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

The whole idea feels kludgey and "not quite there yet" to me, kind of like when everyone was using zip and jaz drives in the late nineties for a year or two until suddenly CDR's were ubiquitous.

Zip and Jaz drives still had uses. You could re-write the drive over and over. Zip drives didn't get scratched or shatter in high-speed player. You didn't write a Zip drive and then have an older Zip drive not read it. And Jaz drives were FAST. Burning a 4x CD-R was a huge pain.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Zip and Jaz drives still had uses. You could re-write the drive over and over. Zip drives didn't get scratched or shatter in high-speed player. You didn't write a Zip drive and then have an older Zip drive not read it. And Jaz drives were FAST. Burning a 4x CD-R was a huge pain.

Right, for about 7 months until all the problems you mentioned disappeared. I also seem to remember horrendous failure rates in my Zip / Jazz media.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

lord funk posted:

Right, for about 7 months until all the problems you mentioned disappeared. I also seem to remember horrendous failure rates in my Zip / Jazz media.

You're not wrong at all. Those bitches had a huge failure rate.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I think the Zip drive click of death was overplayed - I never had it happen, but that's just me. I still got a pile of those at my mom's somewhere full of shareware games and lovely programming projects and Quake/Doom mods. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I loved the hell out of my jaz drive. 2GB of removable media in an era before DVD burners? Hell yeah! It was pretty fast too because I bought the scsi version.

I still have it in a drawer at home, will probably never use it again but I just can't throw it away.

When vmware launched, I had one cartridge each for 3 different OS' and when I wanted to switch I just popped a different one in. It felt like living in the future.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What's the best solution for wireless storage? I'd like to access my media from anywhere around the apartment, but would rather not drag my external everywhere. Time Capsule as a replacement for my router and external?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the best solution for wireless storage? I'd like to access my media from anywhere around the apartment, but would rather not drag my external everywhere. Time Capsule as a replacement for my router and external?

I've always had good luck with Buffalo's LinkStation line. I have a 250GB LinkStation that's outlived many of my internal drives.

geera
May 20, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

I use my Time Capsule for this and it works fine.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
What does 'Service Battery' mean on OS X? This is on my 16 month old MBP. Does it need a replacement? Will I have to pay for it if it's under warranty? Last I checked (two days ago) it holds a 2-3 hour charge fine.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 26, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

What does 'Service Battery' mean on OS X? This is on my 16 month old MBP. Does it need a replacement? Will I have to pay for it if it's under warranty? Last I checked (two days ago) it holds a 2-3 hour charge fine.

It depends on the store, but without warranty/Applecare you probably will have to pay for a new one.

I had a 2008 that displayed the message from time to time, and like you said it would only hold about a 3 hour charge. You should be seeing 6-7 hours.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I guess what I'm asking is, will the Apple store will put a new one in under warranty if I'm getting that message on a year and a half old laptop, or does Apple consider those wear components not covered under warranty?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

geera posted:

Do you just partition it so that one half is for backup and the rest for media, say?

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Do you just partition it so that one half is for backup and the rest for media, say?

You can plug your current external drive into the Time Capsule and it will share over your Wi-Fi.

geera
May 20, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I don't think you even need to do this. The Time Machine backups are actually contained in one bundle file, and you can just make a folder on the same partition for "Data" or whatever you want to call it, and dump all your stuff there. That's how mine is set up.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

geera posted:

Are you able to stream over the network in this configuration? To be more specific, I have an iTunes library with a lot of lossless files that I'd like to stream.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Sounds like I'm getting a Time Capsule!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

NOTinuyasha posted:

I guess what I'm asking is, will the Apple store will put a new one in under warranty if I'm getting that message on a year and a half old laptop, or does Apple consider those wear components not covered under warranty?

Past the first year of ownership Apple usually just tells you to suck it up and buy a new battery.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
My company's selling some unused Mac Pro towers for $250, these are the specs:

- 2x Dual Core 2.66GHz Intel Xeon processors
- 5GB memory, expandable to 32GB max
- 250GB hard drive
- Reloaded with the original OSX Tiger (10.4)
- No additional software
- Tower only, no keyboard, mouse, or monitor
- Purchased in 2007

I've never had to buy a Mac before, but I wouldn't mind having one at home. Is this a good deal? I know 2007 is old, but the specs seem decent.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

jackpot posted:

- 250GB hard drive
- No additional software
- Purchased in 2007

I've never had to buy a Mac before, but I wouldn't mind having one at home. Is this a good deal? I know 2007 is old, but the specs seem decent.

That's a pretty drat good deal, though a strange amount of memory. Those are probably 2006 models.

geera
May 20, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

Are you able to stream over the network in this configuration? To be more specific, I have an iTunes library with a lot of lossless files that I'd like to stream.
Sure, I use iTunes on my laptop but my library is stored on my Time Capsule. Wireless streaming works fine. The only caveat that I've found is that I have to browse to the TC share in Finder before opening iTunes, or else it will complain that it can't find my library.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

empty baggie posted:

That's a pretty drat good deal, though a strange amount of memory. Those are probably 2006 models.
They could be 2006, I know they'd had them for a while before they stopped using them.

What about upgrades? I'm having trouble figuring out if it'll run 10.8, or even 10.7. But hell, I'm on 10.6.8 on my macbook pro and haven't had any problems, so I'm not sure it matters too much.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NOTinuyasha posted:

When it happened to me in July on my mid-2010 I took it in and they ran some test that reported that the battery had actually gone bad and replacement would be covered under warranty. Worth a shot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jackpot posted:

Probably not. The big thing is they can't run Mountain Lion (the latest version of Mac OS X) without a new video card and some hacks. They have 8 RAM slots but you have to buy ECC DIMMs which can be expensive. You can stick 32GB in there. They also have 4 drive bays which come in handy.

That's the very first Mac Pro. The next one had single or dual quad-core CPU's and it's a much better buy.

If you want to play around with OS X or iPhone development, you basically have to be on the latest version of the OS. But, if you just want a Mac to play around with, running Lion will be fine, and if you drop an SSD in there it'll run great. It's probably a little painful with a creaky old 250GB HD .

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ FB-DIMMs.

jackpot posted:

- 250GB hard drive
- No additional software
- Purchased in 2007

Yeah, it's a decent deal. 5 GB isn't so unusual, when they originally shipped they usually only came with 1 GB stock (two 512MB FB-DIMMs.) Which video card? I bet they have the lovely GeForce 7300GTs.

Highest OS you can run on that machine is 10.7.5 unless you want to do some hacking around and pick up a modern OEM Apple video card or flashed card.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Probably not. The big thing is they can't run Mountain Lion (the latest version of Mac OS X) without a new video card and some hacks. They have 8 RAM slots but you have to buy ECC DIMMs which can be expensive. You can stick 32GB in there. They also have 4 drive bays which come in handy.

That's the very first Mac Pro. The next one had single or dual quad-core CPU's and it's a much better buy.

If you want to play around with OS X or iPhone development, you basically have to be on the latest version of the OS. But, if you just want a Mac to play around with, running Lion will be fine, and if you drop an SSD in there it'll run great. It's probably a little painful with a creaky old 250GB HD .
Yeah, I was wondering about upgrades until I looked, and my macbook's still on snow leopard; I don't think I'll be needing to upgrade to mountain lion. This'll be my wife's office computer anyway, and she definitely won't care.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

jackpot posted:

Yeah, I was wondering about upgrades until I looked, and my macbook's still on snow leopard; I don't think I'll be needing to upgrade to mountain lion. This'll be my wife's office computer anyway, and she definitely won't care.

Then I think you're fine. Pick one up, toss in an SSD and throw Lion on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006
If I wanted to bootcamp a Macbook Pro would I need the 256GB flash drive?