Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Doesn't "unique" mean "kinda hosed up"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Corridor posted:

Doesn't "unique" mean "kinda hosed up"?

Similarly I thought 'unique' was almost always in the same sentence as 'western'. :v:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Unique is definitely a GCCX code word for irredeemably bad.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

vgperson posted:

Not necessarily "unique," just "[his] speciality." Because Arino's good at them, of course.

Vgperson's interpretation is the more applicable one for とくい in this specific case. "Next up is [Arino's] specialty, a puzzle game."

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Just saw the new banner cycle through and couldn't help but chuckle. That thing is perfect.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Is the translated episode list in the OP up to date? It looks pretty up to date but I can't check right now cause I'm at work. Yesterday I finally got around to sorting and arranging my GCCX collection into season folders and whatever. From a quick glance it looks like I'm missing a bunch of TV Nihon episodes (aka mostly Season 1 and 2) even though I'm almost 100% sure I've seen most, if not all of them before.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mister Chief posted:

Can we start translating it as "special", because it certainly describes "special" games. :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mayor McCheese posted:

Just saw the new banner cycle through and couldn't help but chuckle. That thing is perfect.

Had to come say this too, bravo whoever did that banner, bravo. :golfclap:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OrochiKiyo posted:

At times during the narration of the Dragon Ball episode, Kan starts imitating some other character, I think. Oolong, perhaps?

Yeah, as stated before it's Kan imitating the narrator. I checked the credits on this and he's the only one credited.

abraxas posted:

Is the translated episode list in the OP up to date?

Yes, it is. But not for long. :smugdog:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

You forgot Clover's sub of Ghouls 'n Ghosts :smug:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drat you for pointing out my failings! drat you to hell!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Unless I'm missing something, Atomic Runner isn't on the list either.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Humongous Pear posted:

I saw people discussing the segment on NeoGAF and people were recommending going to gamingcx instead of buying the DVD, because "it was butchered." Even after someone linked Ray's article explaining the situation. :suicide: Oh well.

Wait I'm confused, I watched the entire first disk of the dvd the other day, and although it was my first experience of GCCX, I thought it was all fine. I didn't get a feeling of any weird translations or anything. Can someone explain what NeoGAF means by this?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Wait I'm confused, I watched the entire first disk of the dvd the other day, and although it was my first experience of GCCX, I thought it was all fine. I didn't get a feeling of any weird translations or anything. Can someone explain what NeoGAF means by this?

Probably because it's missing the skits and side-segments that air alongside the gameplay footage.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

A lot of dumb people seem to think Kotak's translation is the only one on the DVD. Irony is that the translations gamingCX likes to lay claim to were mostly done by ZG anyway.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, it is. But not for long. :smugdog:

Hell yes to both of this! Up-to-date OP list means I can continue my OCD sorting of GCCX files and it not being up-to-date for long means I'm getting a new GCCX episode to watch just as I get out of work/start my weekend in about an hour and a half :woop:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Thanks for the link, I can't believe there are only 3 unsubbed episodes out of the first 73! Pretty soon I will have seen more episodes of GCCX than MST3K. :psyduck:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
This is some of that old fashioned retro hitbox detection.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 26, 2012

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Alright, now that I'm finally home and going through all my stuff again, it seems like I have everything except for the DVD which I'll get eventually I guess. The only thing I apparently don't have and where the link is also broken in the OP is the TV Nihon subbed DVD bonus episode of Transformers: Mystery of the Convoy. Apparently they removed the torrent file from their tracker or something. From what I remember, I'm not really missing out on anything though because that game was pure bullshit.

Edit: Well figures that I figure it out a minute after I post about it. TV Nihon just consolidated all their torrents into two big ones. One for Season 2 and one for Season 1 and "all future episodes" which includes the Northtrip, TF, all of Season 1, Ultraman and Ultra Seven. So it's in there somewhere.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Ciaphas posted:

Similarly I thought 'unique' was almost always in the same sentence as 'western'. :v:

The Next Episode posted:

Its unique visuals and music made it a popular topic among gaming fanatics.

Uh-oh.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
To those who watched the Pulseman Raw, can you explain the new Barcode Gambler segment.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
The new segment, Barcode Segment, uses Barcode Battler to pit video games against each other by scanning their codes. Arino must make a bet before they begin the fight.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hey, I remember those things!. For it to have a pink version...it must've done better in Japan than here, right?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hey, I remember those things!. For it to have a pink version...it must've done better in Japan than here, right?

It's white, lit by a red light. But yes, it was hugely popular in Japan.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I remember having one of those but it never worked with anything that wasn't the stock cards. Loved the poo poo out of it when I was a kid, though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zari-gani posted:

It's white, lit by a red light. But yes, it was hugely popular in Japan.

Meanwhile, I was the ONLY PERSON EVER to have one in America. :negative:

Do not even ask posted:

Loved the poo poo out of it when I was a kid, though.

Oh, totally. It was Monster Rancher before Monster Rancher!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Have there been any clues for the 150th episode yet. 50 was Korea. 100 was Wrecking Crew.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

joek0 posted:

Have there been any clues for the 150th episode yet. 50 was Korea. 100 was Wrecking Crew.

I don't really see much of a pattern there :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Clearly, he's going to play the Wizards & Warriors game with Fabio on the cover.

"うわ、筋肉マン"
"アメリカのファビオというです"
"うわ、ファビオ"

And then he'll spend the rest of the game calling Kuros, Fabio

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 27, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zari-gani posted:

The new segment, Barcode Segment, uses Barcode Battler to pit video games against each other by scanning their codes. Arino must make a bet before they begin the fight.

Is the segment just 10 minutes of them attempting to get it to work and then giving up?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Mister Chief posted:

Is the segment just 10 minutes of them attempting to get it to work and then giving up?

Sounds like the Ashens review of it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Just a heads up -- I translated the Iwata Asks Game Center CX special because it's short and easy and it's one of those things you can't get the gist of if you don't know Japanese. Plus there seems to be a lot of interest online in seeing this subbed so I've decided to deliver it early!

The other Nintendo Direct eps will also be done soon. I think any other GCCX Nintendo Direct things that come out in the future, I'll try to translate them ASAP due to their shortness and availability.

I think it's great that people are so interested in this interview. That they know who Arino is, instead of "who the hell is this guy?"

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
@zari-gani

much love! Can't wait to see them and future GCCX specials like them. Thank you very much.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

zari-gani posted:

I think it's great that people are so interested in this interview. That they know who Arino is, instead of "who the hell is this guy?"

I hope they ask Arino what video games are to him.
"games are life"

Edit: Oh snap VVV

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 28, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arino is under the gun for this one. Can he survive having the tables turned on him and being interviewed? Can he succeed in Balloon Fight when it's programmer is watching over his shoulder? Find out in the seventeenth challenge produced for the Nintendo Channel in a merger between two of Nintendo's segments: Iwata Asks and a Balloon Fight challenge.

It's another video brought to you by the woman who can get any answer out of anyone with her enhanced interrogation techniques (aka forcing them to play Super Monkey Adventures for twelve hours straight): it's Geneva-Convention-defying zari-gani!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 145.86 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

(It was only after uploading that I realized the unfortunate coincidence that resulted from how I chose to designate the Nintendo Channel episodes and having seventeen of them...)

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
What a great special. I wish they would do those more often. I enjoyed the conversation between Iwata and Arino more than the challenge itself. I'd love to see them add an interview type segment back into the series as well, while still having the challenge be the main focus obviously. Hearing some special history on any game is always awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing more of just Iwata and Arino talking :-)

vgperson
Oct 29, 2008
Is the subbing team aware some of the Nintendo Channel clips are on NicoNico too? I mostly say this because the Nico version of this special had an additional intro, in which Iwata goes "FIRSTHAND!" and gestures toward the camera to make music play. (Nico dubs this the "Shacho On.")

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
The Iwata special was awesome. Thank you again, zari, for making quick work of that. :)

Also, the video produced a new thread title for either this thread or whenever a new thread is made.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Just want to thank the SA team for all the work they've done with the subs! This show is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Balloon Fight was the first Nintendo game I ever played~. Didn't know it was one of Iwata's.