Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
Yep, same experience with Logitech warranty. I've had my mx-518 replaced 3 times now no questions asked. Though don't let the failure rate mislead, those 3 mice saw extremely heavy use for over a year each before they failed. And the one I still have saw about 2 years of heavy use problem free before it was retired, still in working condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

So I'm looking to upgrade my peripherals, and I'd like to buy a nice mouse and a nice pair of gaming headsets.

My price range for each is in the ~$60 range, but would like something that isn't Razer. Because the Deathadder I bought only lasted about a year before the middlescroll wheel button pooped out on me. :negative:

Edit: Would be coolio if headset also worked with my PS3 but I don't care that much.

I know it's outside of your price range(~$100) but the Logitech G930 is pretty awesome. The mic is quite good and it is wireless(8 hours of battery life). I used to use the separate headphone and mic combo but I grew tired of those wires always getting tangled up. The sound quality of the headphones for anything other than voice chat is fairly poor though. Almost guranteed to not work with your PS3. Either way, if you want to go wireless this is probably the best option.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Really the only complaint I have about Logitech is that their setpoint software doesn't seem to work in games for me. I can't get either of my side buttons to work in Crysis: Warhead or Necrovision, the only two games I've tried it in since I reformatted my computer. If I open the setpoint software I no longer have a tab for the mouse, even after uninstalling and reinstalling it a couple times. Weird.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

americanzero4128 posted:

Really the only complaint I have about Logitech is that their setpoint software doesn't seem to work in games for me. I can't get either of my side buttons to work in Crysis: Warhead or Necrovision, the only two games I've tried it in since I reformatted my computer. If I open the setpoint software I no longer have a tab for the mouse, even after uninstalling and reinstalling it a couple times. Weird.

Usually the non-standard buttons on a mouse are unique buttons that most games won't automatically recognize. You'll need use something like Setpoint to either set them as standard keyboard buttons in all cases, or set up Game Detection and and a custom game profile in Setpoint so that when you launch the game the buttons are changed to standard keyboard buttons. I usually set up the side-buttons on the mouse as Shift and Ctrl, so I can use them in Windows for all sorts of stuff, and then all games will recognize them as well.

As for Setpoint not even having the mouse show up, have you tried the latest Setpoint version on Logitechs Website? What about uninstalling all generic mouse drivers, then deleting the mouse in Device Manager, and then reinstalling Setpoint? There's also a Setpoint addon called something like Uberoptions. You could download that and install it and see if your mouse shows up then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Usually the non-standard buttons on a mouse are unique buttons that most games won't automatically recognize.

I haven't found this to be true at all, almost every game I've played in the last four or five years has recognized Mouse4 and Mouse5 without any complaints.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

I'm contemplating having it replaced. I've heard Logitech's warranty is quite accommodating; any personal experiences with them around here?

I had a G9 where the mouse wheel stopped working, very likely to be broken conductor. It was borderline warranty, so I called them up, explained the situation and they said that they couldn't replace it due to the G9 being discontinued. So they sent me a brand new G500.

I am a loyal Logitech customer for mice at least.

Regarding headsets, I quite like the G35. Despite being an abomination to look at, the sound quality is clear, except for that one time when the voice changer came on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I haven't found this to be true at all, almost every game I've played in the last four or five years has recognized Mouse4 and Mouse5 without any complaints.

Yeah, if the buttons are set up as M4 and M5. Lots of mice these days, particularly non-Logitech mice, have the other buttons set up as custom buttons that don't automatically map to Mouse4 and Mouse5. Even if they are set up as M4 and M5, many games still don't automatically recognize those buttons. It's certainly better these days than it used to be when nothing would recognize them, but I find it's still easier to map them to something from the keyboard and then you don't need to worry about it ever again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh god lol. I had forgotten about that banme.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
The only complaint I have about Logitech is that their Logitech Gaming Software refuses to start up with Windows (7) as I've set it to and I can't find a single solution for it. Tried using little startup apps, messing with the registry, service manager - nothing works and I always forget to manually run it until I'm in game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's certainly better these days than it used to be when nothing would recognize them, but I find it's still easier to map them to something from the keyboard and then you don't need to worry about it ever again.

Until you hit a game that only recognizes them when they're mapped as M4 and M5 and not as keystrokes, for some reason. :argh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know of a way to get the 360 wireless and Motioninjoy PS3 controller drivers to coexist? After intalling Motioninjoy, the 360 controller just blinks impotently at me. It was showing up in the device manager as a "Motioninjoy Virtual Xinput Device for Windows" so I manually installed the 360 drivers on top of it, but it still blinks. Any ideas?

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

jb7 posted:

I know it's outside of your price range(~$100) but the Logitech G930 is pretty awesome. The mic is quite good and it is wireless(8 hours of battery life). I used to use the separate headphone and mic combo but I grew tired of those wires always getting tangled up. The sound quality of the headphones for anything other than voice chat is fairly poor though. Almost guranteed to not work with your PS3. Either way, if you want to go wireless this is probably the best option.

If you don't mind the wire you could also get the G35, which is pretty much the same thing. It's a little cheaper, but if you're willing to browse around and wait for deals you can easily find it for around $60, especially if you're willing to buy refurbished or used.

Granted, I'm not an audiophile (my last set of headphones were a $30 pair I picked up from Walmart) but I couldn't be happier with my G35s. I personally think they sound fantastic and the mic quality is good. The virtual surround gimmick works really well- Arma 2 with a decent sound mod can be absolutely terrifying.

Both the G35 and G930 are pretty bulky, and I thought it was mildly uncomfortable at first- a few hours of trial-and-error of adjusting the headphones and switching out the various headbands fixed that.

Again, I'm no audiophile- you could probably find a technically better pair of headphones and a clip on or desk mic for less if you were willing to research and shop around. I don't do video or audio editing, but I feel these headphones are pretty much perfect for general gaming. The sound and mic quality are good, the build is sturdy and it supports every game I've tried so far without trouble. If you're looking for a pair of general gaming headphones that will last you quite a few years, I highly recommend these. My old $30 Logitech pair lasted me a good five years, and would probably work for another three if I hadn't switched- besides, Logitech's support is absolutely fantastic.

Just a note, though- if you do get the G930 or G35, stick with driver version 1.01.178. Apparently the latest version (1.02.22 or somesuch) introduces some playback issues.

EDIT: I really don't think these would work on your PS3. If the PS3 supports USB headsets you might be able to get them to work in stereo, but the big selling point of these headsets is the hardware and software wizardry that is virtual surround.

Snuffy the Evil fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 23, 2012

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh god lol. I had forgotten about that banme.

Keyboard goop broke something in my brain and its never been fixed. Years of therapy, zero results. Thanks Sigvatr.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

My wired Xbox controller has finally given up the ghost and I want to start using a PS3 controller instead, is there a specific kind of USB Bluetooth adapter that I need or will any cheap knock-off work?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Not many people are rushing to upgrade to Windows 8, but have there been any tests with game performance?

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Siroc posted:

Not many people are rushing to upgrade to Windows 8, but have there been any tests with game performance?

Ars Technica did some performance tests, including gaming benchmarks. FPS-wise it looks about the same as Windows 7, no surprise.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The real improvement is on low end systems, in my experience with the beta/preview builds. I was getting large performance boosts on my older gen Atom N260 netbook, but nothing major on my Athlon II x4 desktop.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Siroc posted:

I have windows 8 pro and games basically run just the same.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
So there are rumours floating about that Halo 4 might appear on Pc.
Microsoft have been using Master Chief to advertise gaming Pc's on their Pc store as well as Pc button icons being found in the leaked copies. (Weak evidence I admit, after all Halo is one of their biggest franchises, so plastering Masterchief everywhere for the hell of it seems plausible.)

If true, it most likely will be exclusive to Windows 8. This might be a precursor for more Xbox exclusives appearing on the PC. With the system nearing the end of its life cycle, it makes more sense to bring some of those titles over to PC until the 'next gen' hits.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Manac0r posted:

So there are rumours floating about that Halo 4 might appear on Pc.
Microsoft have been using Master Chief to advertise gaming Pc's on their Pc store as well as Pc button icons being found in the leaked copies. (Weak evidence I admit, after all Halo is one of their biggest franchises, so plastering Masterchief everywhere for the hell of it seems plausible.)

If true, it most likely will be exclusive to Windows 8. This might be a precursor for more Xbox exclusives appearing on the PC. With the system nearing the end of its life cycle, it makes more sense to bring some of those titles over to PC until the 'next gen' hits.

I don't think that Microsoft would be so stupid to make it W8 exclusive. They'd be eliminating 95% of their potential PC customers just to push a lovely front-end redesign of W7.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Awia posted:

My wired Xbox controller has finally given up the ghost and I want to start using a PS3 controller instead, is there a specific kind of USB Bluetooth adapter that I need or will any cheap knock-off work?

If you want wireless, I'm pretty sure that any Bluetooth dongle will work.
If you're OK with wired, you can just use a USB cable; unlike the wireless 360 controller, the PS3 controller actually sends data over the USB cable when plugged in.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BgRdMchne posted:

I don't think that Microsoft would be so stupid to make it W8 exclusive. They'd be eliminating 95% of their potential PC customers just to push a lovely front-end redesign of W7.

They did it with Halo 2 and Vista.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Andrast posted:

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. It sold like what, 40,000 copies or something? Maybe Microsoft is that stupid.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Andrast posted:

And Halo 3 wasn't on the PC as a result.

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit
Windows 8 is far more likely to be bought for a mobile device than for a desktop, which is what most people play their games on. Making it Windows 8 exclusive wouldn't be a significant enough driver to get anyone to buy the OS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Frog posted:

Windows 8 is far more likely to be bought for a mobile device than for a desktop, which is what most people play their games on. Making it Windows 8 exclusive wouldn't be a significant enough driver to get anyone to buy the OS.

Microsoft is making deals with 3rd party developers to try to get them to make windows 8 exclusive games. See: Skulls of the Shogun. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do it themselves.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Veotax posted:

If you want wireless, I'm pretty sure that any Bluetooth dongle will work.
If you're OK with wired, you can just use a USB cable; unlike the wireless 360 controller, the PS3 controller actually sends data over the USB cable when plugged in.

That I never knew, I've got plenty of USB cables hanging about, cheers!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Microsoft is making deals with 3rd party developers to try to get them to make windows 8 exclusive games. See: Skulls of the Shogun. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do it themselves.

I'll probably end up getting Windows 8 before January for two reasons: a) 40 dollar upgrade from Windows 7 is a steal, and b) future versions of Direct X will most likely require it. I might not if I was running a machine that was already three or four years old, but if you've recently bought or built one it sort of makes sense to jump on the cheap upgrade. Never mind the exclusives.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can just get it for $15 here

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

e: I thought you could fudge this, but apparently not, just tried myself and it says I can't do it. Oh well, $40 isn't bad.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 28, 2012

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I have windows 8 pro and am very happy with it so far. Everything in the OS is snappy and windows recognized every device I had plugged in immediately without needing to do anything on my end. Like, recognized the actual device by name and everything; it was awesome. Steam installed just fine, everything runs at least as well as it did on 7.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

nickhimself posted:

I have windows 8 pro and am very happy with it so far. Everything in the OS is snappy and windows recognized every device I had plugged in immediately without needing to do anything on my end. Like, recognized the actual device by name and everything; it was awesome. Steam installed just fine, everything runs at least as well as it did on 7.

I'd buy Windows 8 if it had the ability to disable the metro screen. I toyed around with it during the Beta and I outright despise it so much, it's a step backwards because it assumes as a desktop user you know all the Windows+Key shortcuts to do stuff. Once the modification scene gets more developed around "fixing" Windows 8 by removing the metro screen and putting the start menu back in I'll upgrade.

Otherwise it was really good for the improvements on performance.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

nickhimself posted:

I'd like some screenshots and/or usage video of desktop mode and the Start Screen since I hear desktop mode's UI changed a little bit since the release preview.

YouTuber posted:

I'd buy Windows 8 if it had the ability to disable the metro screen. I toyed around with it during the Beta and I outright despise it so much, it's a step backwards because it assumes as a desktop user you know all the Windows+Key shortcuts to do stuff. Once the modification scene gets more developed around "fixing" Windows 8 by removing the metro screen and putting the start menu back in I'll upgrade.

Otherwise it was really good for the improvements on performance.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
I'm not a big fan of the Start Screen myself, but I'd guess I could get used to it.
Then again, every time I tried to get used to it on the beta I ended up hating it more.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Does the Modern interface seem useful so far? As a gamer, is there anything I'd want to do with it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Does the Modern interface seem useful so far? As a gamer, is there anything I'd want to do with it?

nah, I have a laptop with a touchscreen, and it's cool to mess around with, but the desktop's basically still where you're going to be 99% of the time.

Actually the whole business with the start menu being taken out made me realize how little I've actually used the thing since Windows XP came out.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It kind of concerns me because I use the start menu pretty much constantly. I think on Windows 8 I'd have to laboriously add every game I own to Steam just to have a convenient launcher for all of them; right now I have tons of stuff from gog and gamersgate and stuff that I launch by hitting the windows key and typing the first three letters.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I am probably using W7 wrong; all my stuff is pinned to the start menu and nothing is on the desktop but Rocketdock and Rainmeter.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pretty much everything I have is either on the desktop, or pinned to the taskbar. Having every game ever on Steam kinda helps with this one, since I just launch everything from there, instead of the start menu.

I think the only thing I use the start menu for anymore is the instant run/search box.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think the only thing I use the start menu for anymore is the instant run/search box.

Same here. I haven't read anything about Win8 just because Win7 was great and I firmly believe in MicroSoft's good/lovely/good/lovely upgrade history. Maybe I'll upgrade for Win9.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In Win 7 I pin everything I need to taskbar folders and icons and autohide the taskbar. The start menu is useless. The main use for Start8, IMO, is to autohide the Metro screen on boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't think I could actually fit everything I need on the taskbar.

• Locked thread