Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Akuma posted:

Nope! They're certainly not. Doesn't stop me wishing they would, though. Think of all the other shows we could have instead of 50 hours of lovely soaps every week.

Yes, I too wish there was more space in the schedules for shows The Only Way Is Essex: The Reem Team, Look At All These Nice Houses You Can't Afford and Joe Swash: Are Werewolves Real? (Probably Not)

British TV is terrible all around, soap poo poo would just be replaced by different poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"We've cancelled every soap opera, we have 50 free hours in the schedule.

Anyone got Miranda Hart's number?"

And thus begins the anarchy. The lawlessness. The beginning of the downward spiral.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

VogeGandire posted:

It still does amazing ratings, so there is a market for it.

There's a market for bear-baiting and dog fights and I bet they'd have amazing ratings.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Flatscan posted:

There's a market for bear-baiting and dog fights and I bet they'd have amazing ratings.

Bear-baiting/dog fights and soap operas are morally comparable. You heard it here first, folks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VogeGandire posted:

It's a cheap slice of melodrama. It's cathartic.

And for that reason, I never want it to go away. :unsmith:

I really don't see how Eastenders is cathartic. It's something that never ever finishes. Storylines may tie up, but we all know that poo poo never ends, and the most popular soap characters always come back eventually. There's no resolution to soaps, I couldn't stand watching something that never finishes.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

VogeGandire posted:

Bear-baiting/dog fights and soap operas are morally comparable. You heard it here first, folks.

They are and you're a loving moron if you can't see how.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Leon with a Zero posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with EastEnders to be honest.

Now I don't have a TV at my home, I'm 100% an internet watcher.
But when I go home to my family home house (every 6+ months), there's a TV and my mother is mad about Eastenders so I get to watch at least one of them.

Eastenders has three story lines that rotate about the same actors:
1. Lovey dovey couple being lovey dovey.
2. The lovey dovey couple from 6 months ago are now cheating on each other and trying to keep the other from finding out.
3. The cheating couple from 6 months ago are separated and are talking to each other as if nothing happened*.

* Assuming one hasn't been killed by the other.

Every time for the last 2+ years its been like this. I can see its appeal as a bubblegum soap opera though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

VogeGandire posted:

Oh christ no. Not again.

Your unironic enjoyment of EastEnders and this sudden comment is making me very sad.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh gently caress I just saw a Him And Her Series 3 trailer pop up in my YouTube feed!

Cool. Really enjoyed both previous series.

I somehow managed to have a two minute conversation with someone the other week, where I was talking about the show, and they were talking about the Zooey Deschanel/M. Ward folk duo, who aren't even loving called Him and Her.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm just dropping in to say that, I for one, like QI and Stephen Fry.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Jesus this thread gets depressing every so often. I know its cliche to say it, but people obviously have different opinions on what is and isn't poo poo. I'm pretty surprised that people don't like Sean Lock, I've always found him to be really funny in everything I've seen him in, but hey ho.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying Fresh Meat so far. While it isn't Peep Show quality, I do think there's a fair few bits that are brilliant. I love the running joke that Howard hasn't seen Lord of the Rings and is annoyed that everyone always assumes he likes it.

Leonard Hatred
Dec 27, 2004
It's like a great big tide of jam. But jam made out of... old women.
The BBC do some really neat sound editing sometimes. I'm watching Gardener's World right now for reasons beyond my comprehension and Monty Don has been doing a bit of digging up pumpkins for the last 5 minutes or so and I only just twigged that they've been playing little instrumental bits from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness throughout the whole thing.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

How far into this HIGNFY episode will Black go before throwing something at Hislop?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

happyhippy posted:

I wish the House building and selling shows like this would put a 'recorded in 2004' or whatever on them during the price announcements or discussions.
As when you watch repeats of them you cant tell if that £350,000 house is worth that nowadays.
Yeah I know you can see the year made at the end of the show, but most of the time you either forget to look out for it or its shrunk by those loving annoying idents for the next show.

And a good show idea would be to catch up on all the couples and Grand Design muppets to see what happened to the house they bought 5+ years ago. How many are now bankrupt or have a crippling mortgage.
Don't pick on Grand Designs, it's actually better than most for this. At every jump forward in time there are very prominent captions for month and year.

Your retrospective is a nice idea, but I suspect the muppets now bankrupt might be less willing to do the show. And whoever's taken over the house probably won't want to as they'd inevitably come across as the bad guys.

But you remind me of one episode where a guy builds a teletubby house in the lake district. Initial budget 400k cut to 300 because of funding issues before they've even broken ground, finally budget 1M. They do go effectively bankrupt before it's anywhere near complete. But luckily some rich woman who happened to like the look of it lends them the near half a million they need when no bank would touch the project. They have to turn the guest rooms into a very loving expensive B&B.

I would love one day to see the scores of episodes on the cutting room floor who didn't get such a rescue.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There was a great article in the Guardian about Kevin McCloud and how we don't really know a lot about him. He's great at keeping things pretty close to the chest, but can't help but occasionally let little things slip through.

The episode with that guy who built in the water tower was good for McCloud's comment that he would never live there because it was in London. I imagine he'd be a man whose idea of a dream home would be the Eames house.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Did anyone else watch the Derren Brown Apocalypse thing tonight? I thought it was alright, although the whole zombie thing was a bit too far fetched.

Spoilered just in case.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

DrVenkman posted:

There was a great article in the Guardian about Kevin McCloud and how we don't really know a lot about him. He's great at keeping things pretty close to the chest, but can't help but occasionally let little things slip through.

The episode with that guy who built in the water tower was good for McCloud's comment that he would never live there because it was in London. I imagine he'd be a man whose idea of a dream home would be the Eames house.

His ideal house is a shed in a field with a toilet outside where he can turn the gas from his poo poo into methane to cook his sausages, he even made a programme about it.

Speaking of holding his cards close to his chest, it was a surprise when he went on Top Gear and he tanked it round the course in the second fastest time, after noted car-mentalist Jay Kay. He seems to be a damned nice man as well.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

CherryCat posted:

Did anyone else watch the Derren Brown Apocalypse thing tonight? I thought it was alright, although the whole zombie thing was a bit too far fetched.

Spoilered just in case.

I am currently watching and honestly, this is totally hilarious. I cant wait for the second episode but I could never buy this as being real. The level of suggestibility needed by the bloke to fall for this is insanely high. I think they have managed to cover all the most cliché zombie things so far.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice

FiftySeven posted:

I cant wait for the second episode but I could never buy this as being real. The level of suggestibility needed by the bloke to fall for this is insanely high.

It seems to me that the guy is probably one of those types who has always had a plan for this sort of thing but then when it actually happens it all goes out the window. I can't imagine falling for it but then again I've never encountered Derren Brown so I can't be sure.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I saw someone in town tonight dressed in a Jimmy Savile costume with some other Halloween revelers various.

He'd had his nose smashed in.

It was great.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Sion posted:

I saw someone in town tonight dressed in a Jimmy Savile costume with some other Halloween revelers various.

He'd had his nose smashed in.

It was great.

Hah! The guys at work have been talking about it non-stop for the past week or so, their obsession with the topic is reaching a level that's nearly as creepy and horrible as the topic itself.

They're all planning on going out dressed as Saville this weekend too. I think it might be wrong of me to hope they get at least severely told off by someone bigger and more sensible than themselves.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I'm not sure why but Tre Azam (from The Apprentice) was touring my uni today. Jimmy Saville as a halloween costume is going to a massively popular choice this year, I know someone who was considering (luckily he's changed his mind now).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wonder how awkward it'd be for some dude to this is all edgy dressing like Saville turning up to a Haloween party.

Then discovering three other dudes would have the same idea. Nobody else would go near them and they'd just be in the corner and oh god.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wonder how awkward it'd be for some dude to this is all edgy dressing like Saville turning up to a Haloween party.

Then discovering three other dudes would have the same idea. Nobody else would go near them and they'd just be in the corner and oh god.

Well I suppose going to a party in an 'edgy' costume is easier then growing a personality... :/

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I wonder how many people dressed as paedophiles last year for halloween?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Geokinesis posted:

I wonder how many people dressed as paedophiles last year for halloween?

Michael Jackson is always a popular costume.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

JoeSchmoe posted:

How far into this HIGNFY episode will Black go before throwing something at Hislop?

I'm surprised he didn't. Black was remarkably composed compared to his Newsnight appearance though he looked like he was going to lose it when Ian brought up how he was found guilty.

Black also quoted Hislop's own "If that's justice, I'm a banana" line at him :psyduck:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've already seen one guy dressed as Saville with (I assume) his girlfriend in a school uniform with a Jim'll fix it badge.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Really hope all the Savile costumed fuckers get decked.

HIGNFY:

I have to say Armstrong really seems like a very good host, they should keep him on.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Bogmonster posted:

Anyway, I've been really enjoying Fresh Meat so far. While it isn't Peep Show quality, I do think there's a fair few bits that are brilliant. I love the running joke that Howard hasn't seen Lord of the Rings and is annoyed that everyone always assumes he likes it.

Yeah the writing is really good. All the characters are solid and even though they're a bit one-dimensional, I think it can be excused cos there's development (usually for the worse) going on. And also, first-year students are pretty one-dimensional irl.

Really liked the way they handled JP's homophobia and how they're making Josie into a horrible manipulative bitch especially. Eps 1 & 2 were stronger than 3 imho.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Dear old Lord Black got far too easily off the hook for my money. you could tell Hislop was muzzled.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Trickjaw posted:

Dear old Lord Black got far too easily off the hook for my money. you could tell Hislop was muzzled.

We want to watch the extended version as it did seem at one point there was some abrupt editing right in the middle of Hislop's needling.

My partner is a huge Derren Brown fan, so we watched the Apocalypse as well; what's always unnerves me is how DB just walks up to people and bam they're out cold. How is that done?

On a different note, somehow we overlooked Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror so bought the dvd this week; so far I'm 2/3 of the way through (still have the reality show one to get through. The one about the princess and the prime minister is some vicious black comedy. :stonk: There's a new series out in January, apparently.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!
Soiled Meat
The Derren Brown stuff to do with hypnotism is faked.

If it wasn't faked, and he was hypnotising random people and putting them through these weird and often traumatic scenarios:
  • Someone would sue.
  • Someone would come out of it and deny consent for it to be published.
Given the massive amounts of risk assessment and consent-form signing that has to take place before even minor poo poo gets filmed, no, the Derren Brown stuff is poo poo.

His psychological trickery, cold reading and sleight of hand are much more entertaining, as at least some of that is plausibly real.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Etherwind posted:

The Derren Brown stuff to do with hypnotism is faked.

If it wasn't faked, and he was hypnotising random people and putting them through these weird and often traumatic scenarios:
  • Someone would sue.
  • Someone would come out of it and deny consent for it to be published.
Given the massive amounts of risk assessment and consent-form signing that has to take place before even minor poo poo gets filmed, no, the Derren Brown stuff is poo poo.

His psychological trickery, cold reading and sleight of hand are much more entertaining, as at least some of that is plausibly real.

Yeah, I wish he'd do more of the "traditional magic" stuff, sleight of hand etc. Because the whole hypnotism thing is all just done with plants and actors. At least with sleight of hand, cold reading etc, I can buy that he'd be capable of it. He's made a pretty good living of denouncing charlatans, and being one at the same time.

"Yeah, psychics are all bullshit. Now watch me "hypnotise" this guy."

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I'm curious, have you ever seen him live? The set-up that'd be required to force his "plants and actors" on to the stage by throwing frisbees and then having the audience throw the frisbee on again, would be an entire act in itself. Or maybe he just buys out half of the seats and fill them himself every night of a tour?

He's admitted that lots of stage hypnotism is really suggestive people who don't want to "fail to perform" on stage, so convince themselves that they have been hypnotised. Mix it with a bit of sleight of hand so the target thinks that they're being handed an onion, but they're actually been given something else, and the suggestion that the hypnotism is working on them because they can't even taste onion is so much stronger.

Everything he does is a mix of sleight of hand, stage hypnotism, suggestion, mechanical magic, psychology, etc. like this, and you can't easily pick apart which bits are which.

His first book is really worth reading. His second one much less so.

Honestly, you're watching him do the "traditional magic" you want, you just don't realise because he's saying it's something else.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FreakyZoid posted:

I'm curious, have you ever seen him live? The set-up that'd be required to force his "plants and actors" on to the stage by throwing frisbees and then having the audience throw the frisbee on again, would be an entire act in itself. Or maybe he just buys out half of the seats and fill them himself every night of a tour?

He's admitted that lots of stage hypnotism is really suggestive people who don't want to "fail to perform" on stage, so convince themselves that they have been hypnotised. Mix it with a bit of sleight of hand so the target thinks that they're being handed an onion, but they're actually been given something else, and the suggestion that the hypnotism is working on them because they can't even taste onion is so much stronger.

Everything he does is a mix of sleight of hand, stage hypnotism, suggestion, mechanical magic, psychology, etc. like this, and you can't easily pick apart which bits are which.

His first book is really worth reading. His second one much less so.

Honestly, you're watching him do the "traditional magic" you want, you just don't realise because he's saying it's something else.
I used to agree with all of this but honestly, some of what he does is just pure bullshit, and I hate saying that because I think he's fantastic. His first book is great and he's very good at making people believe him and trust him, but he doesn't play fair all the time. I agree with whoever said they wished he'd do the more "traditional" magic, his shows have become increasingly unbelievable and strayed too far away from what made him so exciting to begin with. He's actually an incredibly good card magician too, though you probably wouldn't really know it, and I'd be happier watching him do that with a bit of mentalism involved than watch him give someone the confidence to land a plane or whatever

I don't think he uses stooges live btw, but then his live show doesn't feature the kind of ridiculousness that goes on in his TV shows and it can fairly be boiled down to stage hypnotism imo

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I saw Darren Brown's Enigma show a few years back, and I was genuinely impressed. I don't know if Channel 4 are leaning on him or what, but he definitely had this manic energy about him while doing the mouatache-twirling stage magician act on stage that really doesn't come out on the pre-recorded shows.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

spincube posted:

I saw Darren Brown's Enigma show a few years back, and I was genuinely impressed. I don't know if Channel 4 are leaning on him or what, but he definitely had this manic energy about him while doing the mouatache-twirling stage magician act on stage that really doesn't come out on the pre-recorded shows.

He is incredibly charismatic on stage, it's ridiculous. The force of his personality wallops you hard, even if you're sitting at the back of the theatre. I can see why people in the live shows just kind of...go along with whatever he says.

And some of the pre-recorded stuff is fun too. The Experiment show he did where he riled up and egged on a group of people who thought they were the audience of a new game show into utterly trashing a blokes' life was kind of scary.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Apocalypse is very cool, I love the level of detail that goes into Derren Brown's tricks.

Ms Boods posted:

My partner is a huge Derren Brown fan, so we watched the Apocalypse as well; what's always unnerves me is how DB just walks up to people and bam they're out cold. How is that done?

The thing that's easy to forget is that the people on his shows have all gone through hypnosis-testing as part of the audition process. While they're being tested at that stage it's easy to set up a basic trigger to induce an instant trance at a later time.

Or it's all staged. Up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I think people hear the word "trance" and think it's more than what it is. In this case it is just somebody with their eyes closed who is willing to go along with what the charismatic man tells them. Looks impressive but they literally just have their eyes closed and their head tilted down and the will power not to snap it back up and shout "HELLO I'M NOT REALLY HYPNOTISED YOU KNOW".