Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

The time on that clock. :911:

Also I've decided I cannot clip my dog's nails. I just can't. The crunching noise is just way too much for me, especially since the only nails I'm used to clipping are parakeet and rodent nails. I tried to clip rabbit nails once but that just did not go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I hate the crunching sound too. I always dremel because of it. I dunno if you could dremel those tiny claws, though. The vibration might be too much.

I just let the mutts outside. The girls, retarded and silly in the 40-ish degree weather outside, took off like a shot. With Balen right behind them.

I dunno if this is the Vetprofen or the Doxycycline, but drat if he keeps improving like this (he's 4 doses into 2 weeks of meds) I'm impressed. And yeah I had to call him in and away from playtime (he's supposed to be resting), but seeing him go from stiff, sore and having trouble walking on Wednesday night to playbowing and scampering around on Friday morning is pretty incredible to me.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I dunno if this is the Vetprofen or the Doxycycline, but drat if he keeps improving like this (he's 4 doses into 2 weeks of meds) I'm impressed. And yeah I had to call him in and away from playtime (he's supposed to be resting), but seeing him go from stiff, sore and having trouble walking on Wednesday night to playbowing and scampering around on Friday morning is pretty incredible to me.

I know that feeling. Yesterday Beck jumped into a pile of leaves and started to haul rear end in circles around me. I hated stopping her because it's so good to see her acting like herself again.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

My coworker moved the party to Sunday, which of course is the day I'm going back out to Big Bend, so I'm just gonna leave the meatcake with her at work tonight.

I consoled myself by irritating Sheila.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
So my coworker adopted a collie/great pyrenees/terrier(maybe?) mix, and it started herding/nipping at his children (a collie herding? shocker!) and he was talking about how he was going to bring it back to the humane society to be put down this afternoon.

The dog is coming to my house later today and I'm going to be fostering him till we can find a new home for him, because from what I've heard from my coworker's bitching all the dog needs is more exercise and training (and a home without kids). Poor thing doesn't deserve to be put down for acting like a dog.

I have a Plan B foster lined up in case he and Max hate each other and/or he tries to eat Dexter and Smokey.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/22/underwater-dogs-photos_n_2003516.html

Whole different spin on hydrotherapy.

E: http://www.sodahead.com/fun/underwater-dogs-fun-or-frightening/question-2450435/?slide=0 That one has a few that huffington isn't showing.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 26, 2012

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Apparently dehydrated sweet potatoes and yams are the best thing ever. At least this is the impression I have gained by how nuts the dogs go when I offer them veggie chips.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A cat has randomly taken up residence in my barn and I think there is something wrong with it. He was hanging out on my giant stack of hay and didn't move at all as I was moving bales all around him and running the super loud hay elevator. I could even pick him up and move him out of the way and he was totally fine with it. Not at all normal semi-feral barn cat behavior, but maybe he grew up with my Amish neighbors' kids and is just super mellow? He is very nice and was kneading the hay bale he was on while I scratched his chin.

I emailed the APL to see if they would check him out or refer me to someone who would. I left some hay bales down for some shelter and put out some lovely friskies wet food and water for him but I really can't afford to take him to the vet myself without dipping in to Major's vet funds. If he's not sick I'd be happy to get his nuts removed and he can stick around the barn and rat for me all he wants.

The big storm is supposed to hit us on Wednesday and the temperature dropped 20 degrees today and I just want the tuxedo kitty to be ok :ohdear:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Somebody might have dumped him. We used to get friendly strays all the time in the rural neighborhood where I grew up, and occasionally we would actually see someone drive along the road near our house and toss out a cat. A few got lucky and found their way to our house or one of the other houses in the area where the family would take in strays, but most of them ended up dead :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I didn't even put that hat between Kaydee's feet. She put it down herself. :3:

That sneer, man. He disapproves of the garage. Disdaneful.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

Somebody might have dumped him. We used to get friendly strays all the time in the rural neighborhood where I grew up, and occasionally we would actually see someone drive along the road near our house and toss out a cat. A few got lucky and found their way to our house or one of the other houses in the area where the family would take in strays, but most of them ended up dead :(

I can't even count the number of cats we've had to rehome over the years because lovely people think barn + cat = natural habitat (and we had three barns, each on a different corner). Thankfully we managed to find good homes for them before anything horrible could happen.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I'm looking for suggestions to give a colleague on what breed of dog they should choose. She has a family of four, I think the kids are three and seven. Both parents work, but they have help during the day so it's not an issue. She has previous dog experience but part of the problem is her family used to keep English Bulldogs. I was a bit of a dick and told her about the plethora of health issues the breed has and she was pretty incredulous about it ("Back then they were completely healthy, normal dogs that could do everything dogs do!") They live a pretty active lifestyle, going out hiking with the kids and such, but still, both parents work and they have young children.

Right now she's got her eyes set on either a Toller or a Spanish Water Dog, and I'm pretty sure these are not good options for this family. She says she's looking for an active mid-sized breed that's easy to train and friendly to people, but her experience with English Bulldogs kind of makes me think she and I define an active dog pretty differently. I have told her stories of how Sukka the BC is an active puppy and despite considerable amounts of exercise and training he still hauls rear end around the apt, play bites (hard!), chases stuff, tries to destroy everything he can reach and throws fits when he doesn't get his way. The play biting etc got her thinking a bit since the kids are so young, but I'm not sure how fair it is to compare a SWD or a Toller to a working BC. Then again, all puppies are assholes.

I don't want to be a buzzkill and I think growing up with a dog can be one of the best things in a kid's life, so I'd really like to have some suggestions to give in addition to trying to be a voice of reason. However I'm not really familiar with that many mellow breeds of dog, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm more than happy to hear them! For now, I've just given her references to good Toller and Water Dog breeders and told her to go visit and talk it over. In my opinion a good breeder should be able to say "No" in a nice way if she finds a prospective buyer to be unfitting for her puppies.

Please note that "older shelter mutt" isn't an option, since there are next to no shelter mutts available here. If there were, this would've been my suggestion too.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Maybe a show breeder Labrador or spaniel or something, I guess?

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Fraction posted:

Maybe a show breeder Labrador or spaniel or something, I guess?
Thanks! Which spaniels would you suggest? Some of them are ridiculously high maintenance.

Edit. And I'd like to recommend a healthy breed if at all possible. Otherwise I suppose a Cavalier would be a good match, even though they're a bit small.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Maybe a healthier cocker spaniel, if you can find a good breeder? Springers are just too crazy

Eta: by cocker, I do mean the English cocker, not the American. Pretty sure the American has more health issues. The American is also way fugly

Fraction fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 27, 2012

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
What about a standard poodle? Grooming's an issue though.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Rixatrix posted:

Thanks! Which spaniels would you suggest? Some of them are ridiculously high maintenance.

Edit. And I'd like to recommend a healthy breed if at all possible. Otherwise I suppose a Cavalier would be a good match, even though they're a bit small.

I'd be wary of a Cavvie being too low-key for an energetic family. I think they like walking but hikes might be too much.

Maybe a Smooth Collie?

Also I dunno how feasible it is, but could you look into something like Rudozem Street Dog Rescue? They rehome a lot of dogs (I want to say most of them?) outside Bulgaria since dog welfare is a huge problem there.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions! Poodles didn't occur to me at all, I think a (standard) could be a good match for them. I don't think grooming's a concern since they were interested in an SWD. Smooth collies could also work and I'll tell them to look into Cockers.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Also I dunno how feasible it is, but could you look into something like Rudozem Street Dog Rescue? They rehome a lot of dogs (I want to say most of them?) outside Bulgaria since dog welfare is a huge problem there.
I know quite a few people with imported shelter mutts (the dogs are from Estonia, Romania, Bulgaria and Spain) and I don't think I would ever recommend one to anyone, except maybe a very skilled dog person looking for a "project". In my experience those poor dogs tend to be pretty damaged. I don't think any of the dozen or so dogs that I know personally came without major issues. One one would resource guard his owner badly enough to bite people, several have serious-enough-to-need-medication anxiety issues (for which at least one had to be pts) etc. It's really heartbreaking.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
That's a real shame. They seem to get a lot of puppies so maybe that could work? You place a lot of trust into the people rescuing them to tell you about their temperaments I guess.

Standard poodles seem to be mostly silly doofuses for the first few years of their life. One of our lecturers shows them and brings in hers occasionally. They prance around being social butterflies.

The ones we've had in training class have been very quick learners. Some are super excited to do All the Things and can be hard to handle, while others are a little aloof/uneasy for several weeks then suddenly want to be everyone's friend. They're such underrated dogs, it's sad.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

That's a real shame. They seem to get a lot of puppies so maybe that could work? You place a lot of trust into the people rescuing them to tell you about their temperaments I guess.
I think all the imported mutts I know were adults or at least adolescents when they arrived so it may be different with a puppy, I don't know. I think the underlying problem is that the street dogs have led such rough lives from the start that overcoming the negative early experiences and lack of socialization is really difficult. There's a difference between adopting a shelter puppy that ended up homeless but started out in someone's house, and adopting a shelter puppy that was born outdoors in a hole somewhere, learned from its mother that people are to be feared and has probably been treated badly by the people it has encountered.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think the best solution to the street dog problem in a lot of (European) countries is a lot of pentobarbital, stricter animal abuse legislation and a lot of advocacy work to get people to understand that dogs are sentient beings capable of feeling pain and discomfort.

Ugh. Depressing :sigh:

Edited to add pictures of a happy puppy to be a bit less depressing. We got first snow yesterday, but I didn't get any pictures and today it's all gone. Sukka wanted to eat all of it!

Doin' puppy agility

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 27, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Rixatrix posted:

Clumber! :haw:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Finnish spitz. :colbert: Rixatrix, you live near/ in Finland, if I recall correctly, right? Maybe it won't be the most bidable dog, but they're pretty active, a decent size and smart as a whip.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
SHOW CLUMBER

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

SHOW CLUMBER

How about a fat happy Dackel.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Superconsndar posted:

SHOW CLUMBER

La la la I don't know what you're talking about there is no such thing

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Drum posted:

I consoled myself by irritating Sheila.

Where does one get a whale like that?

In other news:
We knew something was wrong with Zoso when he refused to eat yesterday. Turns out he has bronchitis :smith: that explains the terrible snoring. They have him on some steroids now, to... I don't really know what.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rixatrix posted:

I don't want to be a buzzkill and I think growing up with a dog can be one of the best things in a kid's life, so I'd really like to have some suggestions to give in addition to trying to be a voice of reason. However I'm not really familiar with that many mellow breeds of dog, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm more than happy to hear them! For now, I've just given her references to good Toller and Water Dog breeders and told her to go visit and talk it over. In my opinion a good breeder should be able to say "No" in a nice way if she finds a prospective buyer to be unfitting for her puppies.

I mean this with all seriousness, and not knowing if you can find one over there, but a Swedish Vallhund. Asa has been a phenomenal dog. She's big enough to be active (she used to love jogging with a good friend before we moved away), small enough to fit and just the right size that kids love her, but she doesn't scare them. Somewhat easy to train, but lots of personality. Great little dog. I'm just throwing it out there because she's been such an awesome little dog :)

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Abbeh posted:

Where does one get a whale like that?
I got it off eBay. The seller has a website, and this is the whale I got.

22 inches, perfect for draping over snotty cats.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sadie got zoomies last night, bad. All over the freaking house, running from room to room, until she made a tactical mistake and ran up the cat tree without any real way to zoom off to so she just glared at me in a pounce pose because this clearly was my fault.

She then climbed down slowly until the instant her paws touched carpet again and then it was off to the races.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I need to vent before I snap and kill someone. Sorry if this is hard to follow.

My roommate went to her friends house that is only a 30 minute drive away on Thursday. Her dog was yapping in her room right when she left and I texted her about it and eventually the dog shut up. Well, 8 hours later I get a text from her asking me to let her dog out to pee. I figured why not, maybe she will be out a couple more hours later than she thought. No. She didn't come home until 14 hours after I had let the dog out (22 hours overall). She took the dog out, played ball with her for like 10 minutes, and come in and did some non-dog related things (basically ignoring the dog was there) for 3-4 hours before leaving again. I completely assumed she had taken the dog, but just now, 20 hours after she had left last night, she came home and I heard her say "I know! I'm sorry!" and heard a crate open. I went outside where she was playing ball again and asked "Did you leave <dog name> here overnight again?" Her response?

"Yeah! Why? Was she barking?"

:suicide:

Yes, that is what you should be concerned about. Not the fact that your dog had no water, no food, no exercise, no potty breaks IN 20 HOURS STRAIGHT. Or, put it this way! The dog has been in the crate for 42 hours over the last 48 hours.

You know what, I have accepted her not vaccinating her dog, not giving it flea/tick/heartworm preventative, feeding it the shittiest food on the planet, barely exercising it and barely training it at all because whatever. She doesn't seem to know any better with this stuff and I have tried to push her in the right direction but no. I think even small children know that keeping a dog in a crate for almost a whole day is wrong.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My dad has a dog that was rescued from the streets of Taiwan. He got her when she was six months old, and she has a LOT of energy but is a really nice, gentle dog. She's never done anything even close to attacking anybody, is really friendly with all the other dogs, etc. I mean, it definitely helps that she was a puppy, but for the first six months of her life she was a street dog, so it definitely doesn't mean they're ALL awful dogs that are unsocialized for life.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it to a family with young kids, since you don't know what you're going to get.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

cryingscarf posted:

I need to vent before I snap and kill someone. Sorry if this is hard to follow.

My sister had a roommate who did this exact type of thing all the time with her young, unaltered male miniature Schnauzer. It drove my sister up the wall. My mom was the landlord, and the girl never paid her rent on time (and the dog tore up some stuff), so eventually Mom evicted her. I think she moved into student housing and the dog went to live with her parents, who are experienced and responsible pet owners, so it probably ended up being better for the poor little guy.

I remember I was visiting and wanted to get out of the house for a bit, so I took him for a walk. We got to the end of the block and he stopped and turned around to go back. That was as far as she ever walked him :gonk:

He got a two-hour walk that evening and actually slept quietly through the night for once, even though his owner never did come home that night. Only time I've ever been tempted to steal someone's dog for his own good.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Man, I feel bad when I have a full day of work, come home and let the dog out, then have to go out and run errands for an hour or two after I get home. I could never leave Max alone for that long. One of my coworkers routinely works 12+ hour days and leaves her dog home alone for that entire time, I feel bad for that poor dog's bladder. The longest I'll stay out is around 10 hours, because that's about how long Max can hold his pee.

Hell, when I was in college I felt bad about leaving my chinchilla alone all day when I had some long-rear end days on campus and he didn't even need to be let out or anything.

College students can be the worst pet owners. There are good college student pet owners out there, but unfortunately they're in the minority. They go out and most of the time impulse buy a puppy or a kitten because it is cute and OMG they have their first apartment by themselves and need a pet!!, then never take full responsibility for it because they're used to mommy or daddy taking care of the pet for them at home.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Moses likes to sneak into the chihuahua's horrible purse dog hovel and ruin its retarded collective by licking it. I know he looks like he's about to eat its head itp but no, he just wants to lick it. It has never registered as a dog to him and usually he just sniffs him intently, slurps his face, then comes and gets me and sighs/whines loudly because "WHAT IS THAT AND WHAT IS IT FOR!? :saddowns:"

Basically, Moses is proof that chihuahuas are not dogs. :cool:

Also, Moses has found a solution to not being allowed to eat the puppy. The solution is: "go get a toy and prance around puppy with most offensive body language ever, trying to get him to try and take the toy. IF HE TRYS TO TAKE MY THINGS ITS OKAY TO EAT HIM, HE BROKE MY RULES ABOUT NOT TAKING MY THINGS!!!!!"

Obviously this means no toys can be out when they have to be inside together. It's okay, he found a solution to that too: now everything from dustbunnies to socks are toys! There are toys everywhere!:buddy:

So, we are back to leashes, treats, and ignoring each other. He really hates that stupid puppy lmao (the puppy does suck now I kind of see where he is coming from and agree)

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

RazorBunny posted:

I remember I was visiting and wanted to get out of the house for a bit, so I took him for a walk. We got to the end of the block and he stopped and turned around to go back. That was as far as she ever walked him :gonk:

Oh my god yes. I took her out that one night to potty, and when we started walking away she did the same exact thing. My roommate tells me how she will try to walk the dog more than normal but then the dog refuses to walk on so she just goes back home. The dog is 6 or 7 pounds. I think she is capable of giving the dog a little tug to keep the walk going.

Also, she left again and I checked and she took the dog with her this time. I guess me commenting on how wrong it is got through to her.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

cryingscarf posted:

Oh my god yes. I took her out that one night to potty, and when we started walking away she did the same exact thing. My roommate tells me how she will try to walk the dog more than normal but then the dog refuses to walk on so she just goes back home. The dog is 6 or 7 pounds. I think she is capable of giving the dog a little tug to keep the walk going.

Well, some dogs just really don't want to go for long walks. My boyfriend's parents' dog is like this, but she's a lab mix, so when you try to drag her to keep walking, you're met with like 60 pounds of absolutely still resistance. She just looks at you like, I HAVE PEED, I HAVE POOED, WE ARE DONE OUT HERE. Won't budge an inch of her own volition until you start heading back to their door of their condo building.

Now, from what you've said about your roommate, it sounds like she's not trying and has never tried. The poor dog sounds conditioned to his life of walking 20 feet and then going back to his box for another 10+ hours. :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Husker doesn't really like long walks either, unless we're going somewhere new and interesting. He gets plenty of exercise other ways, so I don't push it, but even though he weighs more than half of what I do he knows he doesn't get to just decide not to walk any further.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ok, so having this foster dog is just reaffirming how awesome Max is by comparison. We just went out for a walk and Charlie peed outside, then as soon as we got back inside after the walk he went upstairs and peed again on my carpet :argh: He doesn't even pee like a normal dog. He doesn't lift his leg or even squat, he just stands there and pees on the sidewalk and it splashes up all over his legs :eng99:

I know most of his problems are fixable and his old owners just didn't give enough of a poo poo about him to train him properly, which is pretty frustrating. I've only had him for a day and a half and he's already showing improvement just through consistency, so it's obvious his old family didn't even try. Their main complaint was that he gets nippy with everyone in the family no matter what they tried. He hasn't bitten me once and all I've done is make sure he goes for a long walk just once a day. I thought they meant ACD level biting, so I was prepared for a landshark and just got a fluffy couch potato.

I'm trying to get him to a new home ASAP because I live in an apartment and I don't have the space to adequately take care of a gigantic dog in addition to Max. Anyone in central Texas want a giant kinda stupid lump of fluff?

Contribution to walkchat: When Charlie decides he's done with his walk (about a mile in) he'll just flop down onto the grass. Sometimes he decides to flop down while he's still walking and does a hilarious somersault-type maneuver.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I literally cannot imagine a dog that will not run as long and as far as the human will permit it. Sitka had over 12 miles of running/hiking today, some of it with bricks in a doggy backpack and she still zoomed all over the yard when we got home. And this is after having an all day dog playdate with her bestest best rottie friend.

(admittedly most her energy is coming from the fact that it dropped from 70 to 30 degrees here and she loves the cold. but still. agh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Citizen Rat posted:

I literally cannot imagine a dog that will not run as long and as far as the human will permit it. Sitka had over 12 miles of running/hiking today, some of it with bricks in a doggy backpack and she still zoomed all over the yard when we got home. And this is after having an all day dog playdate with her bestest best rottie friend.

(admittedly most her energy is coming from the fact that it dropped from 70 to 30 degrees here and she loves the cold. but still. agh)

Today Moses hiked 6 or 7 miles (to be fair it was slow, we were Exploring Things in the woods) and dug out several gopher holes (he found a chipmunk in one! and spider :buddy: ) after doing a good hour of springpole, and he still wouldn't stop dropping a rope toy in my lap to tug after we got home. So we did about 30 minutes more springpole, and hunted mice in the woodpile until he was sure there were no mice. After that, he wouldn't stop abusing Frankie, so we went for a fast jog around the neighborhood. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Flirtpole, until he finally got so exhausted I just pried it away from him and made him come in.

He slept for a little less than an hour. He has been staring at me since.

I think someone is due for a weekend barn ratting excursion.

(Really, I spend the entirety of my weekends doing All Of The Things so he will be mostly normal during the week and it is awesome because dawg wont stop good dog :swoon: )

• Locked thread