Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

richyp posted:

Cross-posting my EC tester. Gonna get me some FW goodness and use this scheme, only neatly (and with actual purple paint too)

Im treating myself to some Emperors Children too, especially with Fulgrim coming out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Pierzak posted:

Got any link where I can read up on it, specifically how to recognize on photos? It never occurred to me, maybe because I actually have work ethics :v:

As I recall it, when Finecast was rolling out several Goons spotted photoshops on the box art--minor things like color swaps, color balancing, and general "make the photo look real" stuff that's perfectly fine for professional-grade photos. But then they found this guy. It was pointed out that the photo was mostly the same as the old one, but the power sword featured blends that did not appear upon the first model; if you look close, it's easy enough to see that some gently caress got happy with the smudge tool on that thing.
Now, I'm not a gambling man, but I'm willing to bet that if GW photoshopped one thing, they will continue to do so.

Fake Edit: Hahaha, holy gently caress, they actually have the older, untouched version of the model's photo right next to the box art one. Here's the original, and here's the actual GW page with both side by side, since I wouldn't believe me either. Comparing them more, it's clear they did more than just smooth out the blends on the sword; you can see it on the cloak and parts of the uniform's jacket.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sole.Sushi posted:

As I recall it, when Finecast was rolling out several Goons spotted photoshops on the box art--minor things like color swaps, color balancing, and general "make the photo look real" stuff that's perfectly fine for professional-grade photos. But then they found this guy. It was pointed out that the photo was mostly the same as the old one, but the power sword featured blends that did not appear upon the first model; if you look close, it's easy enough to see that some gently caress got happy with the smudge tool on that thing.
Now, I'm not a gambling man, but I'm willing to bet that if GW photoshopped one thing, they will continue to do so.

Fake Edit: Hahaha, holy gently caress, they actually have the older, untouched version of the model's photo right next to the box art one. Here's the original, and here's the actual GW page with both side by side, since I wouldn't believe me either. Comparing them more, it's clear they did more than just smooth out the blends on the sword; you can see it on the cloak and parts of the uniform's jacket.

They photoshopped the lightning claws off of one of the Chaos models recently too, although that might've just been an accident when putting him against a background.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
I also have a sneaking suspicion that the green glow effect they have on Kharn's eyes is actually photoshop, as the model looks to have the EXACT same paint job as the previous photos, but suddently mega-glow on the eyes.

e: I actually think, as far as Oath Breaker avatars go, this one is pretty boss. It has a Helldrake on it!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

OneTrueBru posted:

I painted pretty sporadically at first (though mainly due to being a giant baby and getting frustrated at how lovely my paintjobs looked, rather than laziness :ssh:).

I read this as you painted sporadically because you HAD a giant baby, and was confused.

I went into GW today and out of morbid curiosity started going through their finecast models. I am absolutely horrified to report that they all looked great and I wanted to buy loads of them there and then. For those of you who have forgotten, I am the person who tried to fix up the abominable Samael model that included bubbles, missing parts, parts of the mold stuck in the model and nothing fitting together.

Turns out the manager (who is a lovely guy, now I think he's awesome) went through every pack they got from the last two weeks, and any incoming, and sent back every single crappy, slightly flawed one they had. The ones left on the shelves looked great.

Before I've looked at finecast and even without 'actual' flaws like bubbles and deformities they haven't looked very nice at all. The edges always looked shabby to me, surfaces weren't smooth, details looked untidy; always like a knockoff of the original sculpt. This batch all looked great though: perfectly smooth surfaces, hard lines, no flash/lines to remove.

The managed said not only had he gone through things, but GW was requesting things be sent back and apparently are finally tightening up their QA. From what I've seen, I'm half inclined to believe it.

So if, like me, you hated finecast before and it brought up a rage within you matched only by the rage of the chaotic rift (mild annoyance), go check out some blisters and see if they've been QA'd as well. I still wouldn't recommend buying anything you can't look at (nothing in the cardboard boxes) but the blisters I do.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
This time, since re-doing the leg would have been silly, I redid the torso. The leg is pretty much as the reference. The torso was quite undersized. The deltoids will really bring it home, I think.

The shape of the helmet is a little off, I'll try to fix it when I add the cover. I've also been advised that I need to add a p8 pistol so that'll go on the left hand side of his vest.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Lethemonster posted:

I read this as you painted sporadically because you HAD a giant baby, and was confused.

I went into GW today and out of morbid curiosity started going through their finecast models. I am absolutely horrified to report that they all looked great and I wanted to buy loads of them there and then. For those of you who have forgotten, I am the person who tried to fix up the abominable Samael model that included bubbles, missing parts, parts of the mold stuck in the model and nothing fitting together.

Turns out the manager (who is a lovely guy, now I think he's awesome) went through every pack they got from the last two weeks, and any incoming, and sent back every single crappy, slightly flawed one they had. The ones left on the shelves looked great.

Before I've looked at finecast and even without 'actual' flaws like bubbles and deformities they haven't looked very nice at all. The edges always looked shabby to me, surfaces weren't smooth, details looked untidy; always like a knockoff of the original sculpt. This batch all looked great though: perfectly smooth surfaces, hard lines, no flash/lines to remove.

The managed said not only had he gone through things, but GW was requesting things be sent back and apparently are finally tightening up their QA. From what I've seen, I'm half inclined to believe it.

So if, like me, you hated finecast before and it brought up a rage within you matched only by the rage of the chaotic rift (mild annoyance), go check out some blisters and see if they've been QA'd as well. I still wouldn't recommend buying anything you can't look at (nothing in the cardboard boxes) but the blisters I do.

It amuses me that GW would rather pay to ship blisters out and back than actually pay some guy to check the product before it goes out of the factory.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I have to replace a few GW metallics, should I get the same or the new GW equivalents? I'm not sold on the new basic paint line and I'm switching to Vallejo, but their metallics leave a bit to be desired.

VVV: But which ones are better, old or new? I'm tempted to go with old since they're slightly cheaper and won't require me to readjust the palette.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 26, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

GW metallics are still the best on the market in my eyes.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
If you can get the metallics from Andrea Miniatures they're pretty awesome. They sell both steel and gold paint kits with base-shade-highlight and three inks in each kit.

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."
Speaking of metallics - anyone have a recommendation on a cobalt metallic blue? I'm painting some Warmachine Cygnar 'jacks, and I want to give them that extra bit of pop.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Lofidelity Media posted:

Speaking of metallics - anyone have a recommendation on a cobalt metallic blue? I'm painting some Warmachine Cygnar 'jacks, and I want to give them that extra bit of pop.

Tamiya makes a FANTASTIC metallic blue.
It's going to require you to use thinner though.

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."

Manifest posted:

Tamiya makes a FANTASTIC metallic blue.
It's going to require you to use thinner though.

Like a matte medium?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Lofidelity Media posted:

Like a matte medium?

No, tamiya paints aren't water based, so you need to use an actual paint thinner. I just use the tamiya branded one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
This might be a dumb question but are plastic sprues (GW, if it makes a difference) something I can put in the recycling bin, or are they the wrong kind of plastic?

I know scrap sprue has its uses but after assembling DV I have way more empty sprue than I can see ever needing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If I just wanted to make the most balls to the wall pimpin' Space Marine army, where would I go for bits?

I know Scibor, Maxmini, MAS, Pig Iron, Secret Weapon and Armorcast. Am I missing anyone (trying to use mostly non Forgeworld stuff here).

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So I got commissioned to do a pre-heresey Emperor's Children army and it's all Forge World and IT loving SUCKS. There are little blisters everywhere and none of the resin is smooth. There's flash covering everything.

People pay how much for this poo poo? Jesus Christ.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Would this be doable for a daylight lamp?

http://www.lssproducts.com/product/4005/natural-daylight-lamps

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If I just wanted to make the most balls to the wall pimpin' Space Marine army, where would I go for bits?

I know Scibor, Maxmini, MAS, Pig Iron, Secret Weapon and Armorcast. Am I missing anyone (trying to use mostly non Forgeworld stuff here).

Kromlech.eu has Marine bits as well, they're not just crazy Ork stuff. :)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Looks good to me.

I just got a pair of cheap bedside lamps from Fred Meyers and put daylight bulbs in them. Works pretty good.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

JerryLee posted:

This might be a dumb question but are plastic sprues (GW, if it makes a difference) something I can put in the recycling bin, or are they the wrong kind of plastic?

I know scrap sprue has its uses but after assembling DV I have way more empty sprue than I can see ever needing.

Most modern recycle centers will take everything short of organic waste and/or items made of many composite materials. There isn't a "wrong kind of plastic" any more for the purposes of recycling, thankfully. Hell, the ones out where I am don't even ask that you sort the poo poo beforehand; all that's done at the facility now days.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
You think all the talent for vehicle painting just comes from the guys painting GW and FW stuff sometimes. Its only when I see what the WW2 guys do that I am reminded where the pros are

:monocle:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Its only when I see what the WW2 guys do that I am reminded where the pros are
ash4/403887_268876393213667_1434863260_n.jpg[/timg]

Where are the spikes, chains and top-knots?

Those water effects are fantastic. How on earth do you achieve those?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

You think all the talent for vehicle painting just comes from the guys painting GW and FW stuff sometimes. Its only when I see what the WW2 guys do that I am reminded where the pros are

That's... that's completely insane! Where did you find it?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

TheBlobThing posted:

That's... that's completely insane! Where did you find it?

I dont know where its from, I found it on the platoon britannica forums.

:nws:http://platoonbritannica.com/index.php?threads/awesome-models-and-inspiration.259/page-65

There are some risque minis on there hence the NWS tag, but there is no greater thread to make you feel inadequate about your painting skills.

EDIT:

Looking at the actual description it is by MarcFighter Modeller. Cant find any work under that tag.

Limp Wristed Limey fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 27, 2012

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

I dont know where its from, I found it on the platoon britannica forums.

:nws:http://platoonbritannica.com/index.php?threads/awesome-models-and-inspiration.259/page-65

There are some risque minis on there hence the NWS tag, but there is no greater thread to make you feel inadequate about your painting skills.

EDIT:

Looking at the actual description it is by MarcFighter Modeller. Cant find any work under that tag.

Oh god. Usually I get encouraged to paint up some more minis by looking at pictures of others' work, but this has the opposite effect on me.

It's incredible work they've got posted there.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
To be honest, we ain't poo poo compared to some of the scale modellers out there. I thought I was awesome doing weapon or arm swaps on miniatures, and then I saw a guy who kit constructed his own SU-34 from a SU-27, requiring extensive re-modelling, and got it picture perfect. The paintjob at the end made me want to blow my brains out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Raphus C posted:

By spending months sculpting it out of resin and painting each layer as you go so you build up the colour naturally.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

So clean. :allears:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone posted a great guide many many pages back on how to do an arctic camo scheme using an airbrush and silly putty. could someone repost it or point to it?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Heh, where do you think the weathering techiques came from? I love the internet, it made both kinds of painting mix and emerge better.

Raphus C posted:

Right, forgot it. That sub is poo poo, to qualify for this thread it needs more skulls than the entire Totenkopf division. Also, what he said. :v:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Trollblood Fennblades :hellyeah:

Going for a blue for the main tartan color is prob not the most pro choice, but I wanted them to have the same pattern as my Fennblade Champ Hero conversion:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

What do you guys do to weigh down slotted bases?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Glue a penny or nickel to it :v: That's the easiest/only way I know.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hixson posted:

What do you guys do to weigh down slotted bases?

Metal washers, cut, trimmed and glued on the underside of the base.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Icon Of Sin posted:

Glue a penny or nickel to it :v: That's the easiest/only way I know.

Slotta bases.

You can cut a penny in two, or you can glue birdshot to the bottom of it, or fishing weights.

Or cut the tabs off your models, and mount them to a regular round base with a nickel under it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fix posted:

Slotta bases.

You can cut a penny in two, or you can glue birdshot to the bottom of it, or fishing weights.

Or cut the tabs off your models, and mount them to a regular round base with a nickel under it.

:doh: I should really just go to bed now :(

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Raphus C posted:

There was a video posted about a Japanese Gundam model enthusiast that had a Zaku climbing out of the water in a dramatic diorama. Best that I can remember, most of that water is actually modeling compound (like the Black Lava stuff, just without the beads), shaped very meticulously to mimic the natural shape of water. He did this in several layers, mixing various colors in each layer to achieve a look of realistic hues. The whitecaps were added last before the whole thing was given a coat of gloss to give the water a wet appearance. That video was fantastic as you got to see his processes in addition to the actual application; I really wish I had saved it.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Sole.Sushi posted:

Best that I can remember, most of that water is actually modeling compound (like the Black Lava stuff, just without the beads), shaped very meticulously to mimic the natural shape of water. He did this in several layers, mixing various colors in each layer to achieve a look of realistic hues.

This is a whole level of dedication beyond that which I dream of.

I paint to table-top and do so messily and as quickly as possible. I have been doing this for 2.5 years but I do not have the patience to push on. When I see some of the models that people paint, and picture the amount of time and effort that they have spent, it amazes me.

I think it was stripping and re-painting 200+ Orks that ruined me. I still have to base them and improve their skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Fix posted:

Slotta bases.

Pennies it is. Thanks

• Locked thread