Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I am looking for something as a tech now. I still have 7 months until I graduate the RN program and I am in desperate need of :10bux: so... but the down fall is I am not certified as a tech and all of the long term care facilities and hospitals require that you are. I am going to call Monday and see if there is any way that I can challenge the certification test since I am almost an RN.

desperate times call for desperate measures. I even applied at a grocery store today.

Are you positive your hospitals require you to be certified? Down here where I'm at in Florida, all the hospitals want either a certification or the applicant to be in nursing/ems school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Dirp posted:

Had a class today where we talked about chi, energy healing, and how we should keep an open mind to alternative medicines even if there isn't an scientific evidence to support them. Her evidence for chi was that when two people rub their hands together, then place their hands close to each other without touching, it feels warm.

What is this poo poo doing in my nursing school?

While I think energy healing is BS, it doesn't hurt to keep your mind open to alternative things.

Deep muscle relaxation, slow and deep breathing, meditation, etc, can be an effective way to manage pain for patients. Not all patients want to take pain pills, and not all patients get total relief from pain meds. If your patient is willing, teaching them how to deep breathe properly and do the toes-to-head muscle relaxation can really help sometimes.

Also, some people really like alternative medicine. They can come in to the hospital taking lots of different natural supplements, and sometimes those can interfere with medications (like garlic supplements, for example). It's good to at least be aware of different things out there that some people may do.

But yeah, we had to learn about energy healing and waving your hands over the patient while having them say 'oohhmmm.' Or something, I didn't really pay attention. It never hurts to know about it, just in case you have a cook patient who wants you to do it for them. If they really think that your chi energy will help them, maybe they'll experience a placebo effect?

In other news, I applied for a 0.9 day/night position in my same department. I've been working day/eve for a year and a half and I really, really hate eve shifts. It would also be a 0.1 increase in my FTE which would be nice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed really hard because since the day I was hired I've been waiting for a day/night float position to be open, and now there is.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Hughmoris posted:

Are you positive your hospitals require you to be certified? Down here where I'm at in Florida, all the hospitals want either a certification or the applicant to be in nursing/ems school.

Yes I have applied to several hospitals and when I call to follow up on the app I am told I must be certified. I am waiting on a student nurse position to open up but that will be late November at the earliest.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.
Hey gang, I FINALLY have an interview for a honest to god RN job.....in community psych! :downsgun:

The position is genuinely interesting and I'd love to nail it - does anyone here do psych or have any tips for interviewing for a psych position?

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I have been working as an RN for over a year now on a med/surg floor and lately, I'm really feeling like there is just no way I can continue with the way things are. The stress is really starting to get to me, and the past few weeks have just been awful. Crying in the med-room awful. I mean, I feel like I had some idea of what I was getting into when I signed up to be a nurse. I knew there would be bad days, but it seems like the bad days are MOST days. How do you people who have been doing this for a while deal with things? I'm really feeling like I'd like to try doing something else in nursing, but I feel kind of stuck where I am right now and am unsure where I should be looking.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Space Harrier posted:

I have been working as an RN for over a year now on a med/surg floor and lately, I'm really feeling like there is just no way I can continue with the way things are. The stress is really starting to get to me, and the past few weeks have just been awful. Crying in the med-room awful. I mean, I feel like I had some idea of what I was getting into when I signed up to be a nurse. I knew there would be bad days, but it seems like the bad days are MOST days. How do you people who have been doing this for a while deal with things? I'm really feeling like I'd like to try doing something else in nursing, but I feel kind of stuck where I am right now and am unsure where I should be looking.

What about your job is stressing you out? Do you have bad staffing ratios? Is it your coworkers? Is it just med/surg in general? Are you full time?

Med/surg isn't the only kind of nursing there is, and it's definitely not for everyone. It's a good place to start because you get a wide variety of experience, but if you've been doing this for over a year and hate it, there's nothing wrong with looking for something new. Don't feel bad about not liking med/surg either, there are a lot of people who don't. It can be a very stressful environment, some people love that and some people hate it.

Does your hospital have any open positions somewhere else? If you could have any job in the world, what would it be? If most of your days are bad days, apply to something else. Applying never hurts. If you are working full time and need to cut your FTE down to 0.8 or something, talk to your manager.

I am in float pool and frequently (like 75% of the time) work on a med/surg unit (our hospital has three). I definitely couldn't go to the same med/surg floor day after day, I would feel like you do. However, really practicing time management skills, delegation, organization, and staying level headed really, really helps. If you struggle with organization or time management, that can make your stress levels soar since med/surg is so busy. Also, putting on a smile, telling yourself you're doing the best job you can do, and asking for coworkers for help when you need it can make your day easier.

How do you organize your day? Do you have time worksheets that you could fill out (like a big grid where you can write down med times, dressing change times, lab checks, etc), or are you winging it? Do you feel comfortable with all the procedures/medications/lab values/etc or do you need to do some work at home? What specifically do you hate about med/surg?

If you need a change, you need a change, it doesn't make you any less of a nurse if you don't like med/surg.

Baby_Hippo posted:

Hey gang, I FINALLY have an interview for a honest to god RN job.....in community psych! :downsgun:

The position is genuinely interesting and I'd love to nail it - does anyone here do psych or have any tips for interviewing for a psych position?

Do you have any psych experience?

Have a really good reason why you want to go into community psych. Only talk about what you can bring to the job (that you are an awesome nurse and would be great for the job) and not what they can bring to you (that this would be your first job and a good way to get your foot in the door).

Do you have any psych experience? If so, elaborate on the skills that you are really good at or have a good example of how you've helped someone. If not, think of a time when you may have had a patient that wasn't there for psych reasons but had a psych history, and how you took that into consideration with their patient care and what you did differently. If you have absolutely zero experience, really think about why you want this job.

Do you want to stay in psych nursing forever? If yes, that's great and good luck! If not, don't interview for this job.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 8, 2012

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Do you want to stay in psych nursing forever? If yes, that's great and good luck! If not, don't interview for this job.

Thanks for the tips and things to think about! I only had a three week rotation in psych (mostly on the detox floor) so I don't think I want to stay in psych nursing forever. On the other hand this is only the SECOND interview I've had in almost a year and a half searching for a job in California so it might be either this or getting the hell out of California (which is looking better and better every day).

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Koivunen posted:

What about your job is stressing you out? Do you have bad staffing ratios? Is it your coworkers? Is it just med/surg in general? Are you full time?

Med/surg isn't the only kind of nursing there is, and it's definitely not for everyone. It's a good place to start because you get a wide variety of experience, but if you've been doing this for over a year and hate it, there's nothing wrong with looking for something new. Don't feel bad about not liking med/surg either, there are a lot of people who don't. It can be a very stressful environment, some people love that and some people hate it.

Does your hospital have any open positions somewhere else? If you could have any job in the world, what would it be? If most of your days are bad days, apply to something else. Applying never hurts. If you are working full time and need to cut your FTE down to 0.8 or something, talk to your manager.

I am in float pool and frequently (like 75% of the time) work on a med/surg unit (our hospital has three). I definitely couldn't go to the same med/surg floor day after day, I would feel like you do. However, really practicing time management skills, delegation, organization, and staying level headed really, really helps. If you struggle with organization or time management, that can make your stress levels soar since med/surg is so busy. Also, putting on a smile, telling yourself you're doing the best job you can do, and asking for coworkers for help when you need it can make your day easier.

How do you organize your day? Do you have time worksheets that you could fill out (like a big grid where you can write down med times, dressing change times, lab checks, etc), or are you winging it? Do you feel comfortable with all the procedures/medications/lab values/etc or do you need to do some work at home? What specifically do you hate about med/surg?

If you need a change, you need a change, it doesn't make you any less of a nurse if you don't like med/surg.

In a lot of ways, I feel like I've come really, really far since I started my job. It was completely terrifying for probably the first eight months or so. This has been my first job since I graduated from a fast-track program. I know that most new nurses don't feel very prepared from nursing school, but I was really insecure in my abilities. Time management used to be a big weakness for me, but I don't think it's a big issue now.

I think the biggest problem I have is that I'm starting to feel very burnt out in dealing with people. I relocated to a very poor rural community with a lot of problems with drugs, alcohol abuse and neglect. God help you if you have mental health problems. I realize that these things would be a problem anywhere in the country, but I'm closing in on the amount of human suffering and psychosis I can endure each week. There is so much, and it never stops... I must sound like I've been living in a perfect glass cube my whole life at this point, I know.

Adding to my frustration is the feeling that most of the docs I work with absolutely do not give a poo poo. I mean, at all. And while I thought it may just be my imagination (or just me becoming less naieve), the whole culture of the hospital seems to be shifting in a bad direction. I get on well with my coworkers, and I'm not the only person who has noticed this.

Working as a nurse has also made me aware of aspects of my personality that are less-than-ideal for the job. I really, really like it when things are in order and I have some feeling of control- obviously, as a med/surg nurse (or in practically any field of nursing), this never really happens. When a job is usually chaotic day in and day out... it starts to wear on me.

I'd been giving some thought to what my "ideal" job would be, and I feel like I may be well suited for a position in the cath lab, OR, or recovery. A job where I would closely monitor patients during or after a procedure. Things can, and will, go horribly pear shaped from time to time, but I would be working closely with a team. Please feel free to tell me that I've got the whole idea wrong on this, those of you working in these areas, but based on what experience I have in these departments, it just seems like it might be an okay fit.

On second thought, maybe I should just be an accountant...

Well, thanks for giving me a place to rant. I don't feel this awful all the time. My general take on nursing up to this point has been when the job is good, it's very rewarding, and when it's bad, it's pretty much the worst thing ever.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

JAF07 posted:

A 16-month-old child diagnosed with Kawasaki’s disease is very irritable, refuses to eat, and exhibits peeling skin on the hands and feet. The nurse should do which of the following FIRST?
a) Apply lotion to the hands and feet
b) Offer foods the toddler likes
c) Place the toddler in a quiet environment
d) Encourage the parents to get some rest

Again, all answers seem logical, but three of them aren't going to work until you calm the little poo poo down: C.

This is from a couple pages ago, but I wanted to say thanks. I had this exact question on my maternity/pediatrics hesi today and got it right because I remembered your answer!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Space Harrier posted:

Working as a nurse has also made me aware of aspects of my personality that are less-than-ideal for the job. I really, really like it when things are in order and I have some feeling of control- obviously, as a med/surg nurse (or in practically any field of nursing), this never really happens. When a job is usually chaotic day in and day out... it starts to wear on me.

I'd been giving some thought to what my "ideal" job would be, and I feel like I may be well suited for a position in the cath lab, OR, or recovery. A job where I would closely monitor patients during or after a procedure. Things can, and will, go horribly pear shaped from time to time, but I would be working closely with a team. Please feel free to tell me that I've got the whole idea wrong on this, those of you working in these areas, but based on what experience I have in these departments, it just seems like it might be an okay fit.

I'm biased because I work in one but an ICU would be awesome for you. Vented and sedated patients don't talk, or complain about taking too many pills and you can keep your room as clean as you have time for.

I've heard cath lab is a gravy train and PACU as well, but I don't have any first hand experience with that.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Space Harrier posted:

Wow, I think if I worked where you do I would hate it too. Sounds like it sucks.

Definitely apply to a different position if you're feeling burnt out. There's absolutely nothing wrong about not liking where you work and wanting a change. Cath lab is a really great, more relaxed place to work, and PACU, at least at my hospital, is where a lot of older nurses go to "enjoy their last years." There are younger people that work there as well, but it's so competitive to get in that usually the ones with the most seniority are the ones who get the jobs. I'm not saying that to discourage you from applying if there's an opening, just saying it's a pretty nice place to work.

Baby_Hippo posted:

Thanks for the tips and things to think about! I only had a three week rotation in psych (mostly on the detox floor) so I don't think I want to stay in psych nursing forever. On the other hand this is only the SECOND interview I've had in almost a year and a half searching for a job in California so it might be either this or getting the hell out of California (which is looking better and better every day).

Think loooong and hard about how badly you want to stay in California. From a lot of replies in this thread it sounds like CA is flat out not hiring new RNs. I don't have firsthand experience in community psych, but I do work inpatient psych, and community psych nursing is only something you should pursue if you want to do psych forever. You have to be extremely committed to your patients, and it can be really frustrating because a lot of times, you do everything you can to try to help them but they go off their meds and get in trouble or end up in the hospital, and it goes in cycles. Also, not to make you feel discouraged, but the couple of community psych nurses I know were acute inpatient psych nurses for many years before they became community psych. If you have absolutely zero psych experience I'm not sure this place would look favorably upon sending you out into the community to manage mentally ill people.

Also, if you did get this job, but want to move into hospital nursing or something, employers would notice how many years it has been since you've had hospital experience. If you don't use your skills (like starting IVs, remembering procedures correctly, bedside etiquette, etc), you lose them. If you start in community nursing, be prepared to be in public health forever.

If you read back in the past several pages, people have posted about certain places in the U.S. that are hiring. If you're willing to move, you could have much better luck finding a position that you want in a different state.

(Northern Minnesota is hiring, and just in time for winter...)

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
It turns out that my hospital has a position open in the Cath Lab posted on their website. I have a meeting set up tomorrow with someone I know from the education department, so I am going to see if I can find out more about getting my ACLS certification taken care of and maybe see if I can shadow someone working there. Thanks for all the helpful replies and letting me vent a little here.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Think loooong and hard about how badly you want to stay in California. From a lot of replies in this thread it sounds like CA is flat out not hiring new RNs. I don't have firsthand experience in community psych, but I do work inpatient psych, and community psych nursing is only something you should pursue if you want to do psych forever. You have to be extremely committed to your patients, and it can be really frustrating because a lot of times, you do everything you can to try to help them but they go off their meds and get in trouble or end up in the hospital, and it goes in cycles. Also, not to make you feel discouraged, but the couple of community psych nurses I know were acute inpatient psych nurses for many years before they became community psych. If you have absolutely zero psych experience I'm not sure this place would look favorably upon sending you out into the community to manage mentally ill people.

Also, if you did get this job, but want to move into hospital nursing or something, employers would notice how many years it has been since you've had hospital experience. If you don't use your skills (like starting IVs, remembering procedures correctly, bedside etiquette, etc), you lose them. If you start in community nursing, be prepared to be in public health forever.

If you read back in the past several pages, people have posted about certain places in the U.S. that are hiring. If you're willing to move, you could have much better luck finding a position that you want in a different state.

(Northern Minnesota is hiring, and just in time for winter...)

I've been going back and forth on this so much in the past week. My partner and I have essentially come to the conclusion that moving out of state is no longer an "if" but a "when." This psych job would be JUST far enough away (in California) that either I would have a loooong commute or we'd move halfway to split commutes, so he can keep his (good) EMT job.

One of the few reasons why I am still entertaining the idea is because my "dream" nursing job is corrections, which looks favorably on psych experience.

I'm still going to the interview, at the very least for the experience and to practice my interviewing skills. :)

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Well, after ranking our top ten choices for our integrated practicum over a stressful two days we have the results! I'll be spending the last 12 weeks of my time as a student nurse in Orthopedics! (Which was my #3 choice :toot:)
Here's hoping that my choice was a wise one!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Are there any psych NPs in this thread? I'm applying for programs for entry in 2014 and would really appreciate hearing more about the profession.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Well, after ranking our top ten choices for our integrated practicum over a stressful two days we have the results! I'll be spending the last 12 weeks of my time as a student nurse in Orthopedics! (Which was my #3 choice :toot:)
Here's hoping that my choice was a wise one!

Congratulations! Good luck!

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006
I interviewed and was offered/accepted a job in the mother/baby unit at my local hospital. It is a transfer from the emergency department. I am a little scared of what to expect since I am used to the fast paced, something always to do work environment. This is a huge change for me, but one I am doing to advance my career (attempting to get into the NICU and they will not hire me without some type of experience).

So, everyone that has ever worked on a postpartum/nursery unit please tell me it is all going to be ok and I'm not going to have some emotional mother try to slit my throat with a baby bottle.

My biggest fear is that I have the bedside manner of an ER nurse now and I have felt like I've lost a lot of my empathy/sympathy since I took this job (NO! You can not have dilaudid for a stubbed toe!).

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Baby_Hippo posted:

One of the few reasons why I am still entertaining the idea is because my "dream" nursing job is corrections, which looks favorably on psych experience.

I'm still going to the interview, at the very least for the experience and to practice my interviewing skills. :)

Good luck, I hope the interview goes well. Go in with a smile, it's okay to be nervous but don't forget to be confident. :)

I don't know a ton about corrections, but I would think that emergency department care or med/surg care would be more applicable. Psych experience would be good, but ER or med/surg experience would be so much better. ED would be great because as a corrections nurse you would respond to people who have been beaten up, punched, cut, impacted, self-injurious, whatever, and deciding if you could treat them there or move them to a hospital would be very important.

As a med/surg nurse you would get a lot of experience with both acute and chronic issues. For example, you would get a better feel for what to do with abdominal pain, cellulitis, hypo or hyperglycemia, chest pain, etc times a million. Also, in med/surg you get a good feel for who is being honest with how sick they feel and who is exaggerating to get more attention.

Community psych is a good experience if you want to stay in psych forever, but if your goal is corrections, this will not be the best job for you simply because community psych doesn't deal with broken bones, blood, puke, lacerations, pain, chronic illnesses, etc.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Good luck, I hope the interview goes well. Go in with a smile, it's okay to be nervous but don't forget to be confident. :)

I don't know a ton about corrections, but I would think that emergency department care or med/surg care would be more applicable. Psych experience would be good, but ER or med/surg experience would be so much better. ED would be great because as a corrections nurse you would respond to people who have been beaten up, punched, cut, impacted, self-injurious, whatever, and deciding if you could treat them there or move them to a hospital would be very important.

As a med/surg nurse you would get a lot of experience with both acute and chronic issues. For example, you would get a better feel for what to do with abdominal pain, cellulitis, hypo or hyperglycemia, chest pain, etc times a million. Also, in med/surg you get a good feel for who is being honest with how sick they feel and who is exaggerating to get more attention.

Community psych is a good experience if you want to stay in psych forever, but if your goal is corrections, this will not be the best job for you simply because community psych doesn't deal with broken bones, blood, puke, lacerations, pain, chronic illnesses, etc.

Thanks, it went really well! It helped that I stressed my experience in corrections and that one of the interviewing RNs had worked there as well.

The reason why I think psych and corrections is so closely linked is because, and this is my experience from working inside of a prison, that anyone can do any job but you need to have a certain mindset to work with inmates (and people with mental health issues). Above all things you need to have a good therapeutic relationship and establish some sort of trust with the inmate because a) you are one of the few people they see that isn't a fellow inmate OR a correctional officer and b) you gotta watch your own back. And this attitude crosses over very well for psych. I hate when people say that both of these areas is where "nurses go to retire and lose their skills" - you can't teach someone to have compassion for two of the most marginalized facets of society, while so many other things can be relearned. :)

Also, pretty much everyone in prison has some underlying psych issue - I actually did a mental health table for a health fair at a prison two months ago and the men were so appreciative of the information and being able to ask questions.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

Joellypie posted:

I interviewed and was offered/accepted a job in the mother/baby unit at my local hospital. It is a transfer from the emergency department. I am a little scared of what to expect since I am used to the fast paced, something always to do work environment. This is a huge change for me, but one I am doing to advance my career (attempting to get into the NICU and they will not hire me without some type of experience).

So, everyone that has ever worked on a postpartum/nursery unit please tell me it is all going to be ok and I'm not going to have some emotional mother try to slit my throat with a baby bottle.

My biggest fear is that I have the bedside manner of an ER nurse now and I have felt like I've lost a lot of my empathy/sympathy since I took this job (NO! You can not have dilaudid for a stubbed toe!).
My mom just switched to mother-baby after 20 years of tele and she really likes working with healthy patients. Things tend to be very routine there (few meds, endless teaching) but when things go bad, it can happen really quickly. She said there's some moms who want to be waited on hand and foot but that she's just learned to pick her battles and be firm with encouraging independence. It's also a different sort of busy where there's always something to do (teaching, admission, discharges) but you aren't frantically running around. Plus healthy babies are some of the easiest and cutest patients around. :3:

In other news I accepted the job in Virginia. :toot: The city is beautiful, the hospital seems to be healthy financially, and the nurse I got to peer interview was satisfied with her job and said that they really try to foster a healthy and supportive environment for new grads. The manager has only been in her job for 6 months, but she was an assistant manager on the unit before that and she was very friendly and open and encouraged a lot of questions. I've never been in the ICU before even though I was supposed to do my preceptorship there, any ICU goons have advice? Books/materials to review? Words of advice or caution?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Baby_Hippo posted:

Thanks, it went really well! It helped that I stressed my experience in corrections and that one of the interviewing RNs had worked there as well.

The reason why I think psych and corrections is so closely linked is because, and this is my experience from working inside of a prison, that anyone can do any job but you need to have a certain mindset to work with inmates (and people with mental health issues). Above all things you need to have a good therapeutic relationship and establish some sort of trust with the inmate because a) you are one of the few people they see that isn't a fellow inmate OR a correctional officer and b) you gotta watch your own back. And this attitude crosses over very well for psych. I hate when people say that both of these areas is where "nurses go to retire and lose their skills" - you can't teach someone to have compassion for two of the most marginalized facets of society, while so many other things can be relearned. :)

Also, pretty much everyone in prison has some underlying psych issue - I actually did a mental health table for a health fair at a prison two months ago and the men were so appreciative of the information and being able to ask questions.

I'm glad the interview went well! You'll have to update us when you hear if you've got it! I really hope you do get the job, it sounds like you've been on a long road and you've definitely got the right attitude for it. :) Let us know when you find out.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
How beneficial would it be for me to get a healthcare tech job while in school? I have my second interview for a job in the med/surg/stroke unit at my local hospital next week. I have a part-time job right now and am doing just fine balancing everything but I'm only working about 15 hours a week. I'm pretty sure they're going to want me to work two twelve hour night shifts a week, which I'm not exactly thrilled about.

I have my clinicals at this particular hospital and it's really nice and has a great staff but from talking to other techs that work there, they're understaffed when it comes to techs. I've only seen it during the day though, so I'm wondering if the workload might be a little easier at night.

I know it's going to add alot more stress and what not but I have no prior healthcare job experience.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

Dirp posted:

How beneficial would it be for me to get a healthcare tech job while in school? I have my second interview for a job in the med/surg/stroke unit at my local hospital next week. I have a part-time job right now and am doing just fine balancing everything but I'm only working about 15 hours a week. I'm pretty sure they're going to want me to work two twelve hour night shifts a week, which I'm not exactly thrilled about.

I have my clinicals at this particular hospital and it's really nice and has a great staff but from talking to other techs that work there, they're understaffed when it comes to techs. I've only seen it during the day though, so I'm wondering if the workload might be a little easier at night.

I know it's going to add alot more stress and what not but I have no prior healthcare job experience.

My sister in law loves working as a tech, she's currently studying to be a nurse. It gives you good exposure to the field from what she's told me.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Dirp posted:

How beneficial would it be for me to get a healthcare tech job while in school? I

Think working as a tech during nursing school is really good experience! You get to see a lot and you get more comfortable around patients and physicians. Night shift is usually not as crazy as there are no baths to give, fewer patients leaving the floor for testing, fewer physicians coming and going ect but you get to see a lot more on days.

All that said. watch your back. I had a really bad situation where I worked at a hospital and it seemed like the nurses did not like that I was in nursing school and I was let go for false accusations that were made against me.

That being said, I am getting a job at another hospital as a tech. I liked the work, I liked my patients and I learned a lot and hope to in this job as well.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Hellacopter posted:

In other news I accepted the job in Virginia. :toot: The city is beautiful, the hospital seems to be healthy financially, and the nurse I got to peer interview was satisfied with her job and said that they really try to foster a healthy and supportive environment for new grads. The manager has only been in her job for 6 months, but she was an assistant manager on the unit before that and she was very friendly and open and encouraged a lot of questions. I've never been in the ICU before even though I was supposed to do my preceptorship there, any ICU goons have advice? Books/materials to review? Words of advice or caution?

Yay!! :woop: So happy for you! :woop:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hellacopter posted:

I've never been in the ICU before even though I was supposed to do my preceptorship there, any ICU goons have advice? Books/materials to review? Words of advice or caution?

• Read "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" by Dale Dubin, MD.
  • Get ACLS.
  • Understand and be comfortable with ventilators and everything airway.
  • Memorize everything you can related to pulmonary artery catheters (Swan-Ganz)
  • Study for, take and pass the CCRN. Get more letters like TNCC too.
  • Travel nurse and make bank being a swag fucker.

Miscellanious tidbits:
Its really hard to kill an adult human, you won't do it accidentally.
ET tubes look really tenuous but they're not.
Above all, ask when you don't know for sure.
Feel free to PM me with questions that would clutter up this thread.

Edit: Forgot to mention, don't look at the monitors all the time. You can get sucked into them. Look at the schmuck on the bed first, then all the lines and numbers afterwords.

In other news for me, my wife and I just got travel positions in Las Vegas for floating between three hospitals. I'm all ICU she's all medsurg. Choo choo, here comes the gravy train! :toot:

Roki B fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 23, 2012

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse

Hellacopter posted:

I've never been in the ICU before even though I was supposed to do my preceptorship there, any ICU goons have advice? Books/materials to review? Words of advice or caution?

Pretty much what Roki B said, especially, on getting ACLS and asking questions.

-Airway, airway, airway! Of all the new ICU things relatively straightforward but the consequences of mucking it up are incredibly dire. It is indeed very hard to kill an adult but robbing a patient of their airway during a turn is an easy way to do it. Make sure your ETT/Trache is secure and keep an eye on it.

-Ventilation: Can be difficult to get your head around at times but very important. Learn your modes and how pressure, volume, compliance and resistance work. If your patient is on volume control find out why. The acronyms can get ludicrous (SIMV (PRVC)+PS) so ask questions! Does your patient need more fiO2, pressure(or less), volume or do you just need to sit them up more?

-ABG's! They're a great guide of how a patient's going systemically, trends can foreshadow something nasty. Learn how to interpret you're pH and what sort of respiratory or metabolic changes may be going on.

-Basic nursing cares are at there best in the ICU because you've really got the chance to focus your patients needs. Oral, pressure area and, eye cares are vital in an unconscious patient

-Repositioning. The best best thing you can do to preserve and improve respiratory function is repositioning your patient regularly and sit them up as much as possible, or tilt.

-Don't be distracted by the gizmo's. ICU has some wicked kit that when used properly is awesome. Despite that the best way to assess your patient will always be to look listen and feel.

ICU is pretty overwhleming and it takes years to really nail it. Just questions and use common sense and you'll love it!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm a vet tech with shoe problems. I know you guys have had this discussion before, but I had another stupid question. Basically I wanted to know if anyone experiences the same thing as me and what they did.

I don't luckily pull 12-17 hour shifts - I'm on my feet usually for 8 hours minimum, 10 hours max if it's a busy day. I have a pair of Danskos which I loved when I worked retail, but I find they're not flexible enough for all the bending and awkward positions I have to get in. On the other hand, I got a pair of New Balance sneakers, but the sole is too soft and they've compressed enough that it hurts my knees now. The hard sole on the Danskos are great for my knees, but the hard covering is making my big toe go numb...

Anyone here wear any sneakers or something with a harder sole and they're great for walking all day? I was thinking of picking up a pair of Merrell clogs, but I don't have much experience with them. Personally, I absolutely love Doc Marten's but wearing boots to work isn't going to work out I think.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Shnooks posted:

I'm a vet tech with shoe problems. I know you guys have had this discussion before, but I had another stupid question. Basically I wanted to know if anyone experiences the same thing as me and what they did.

I don't luckily pull 12-17 hour shifts - I'm on my feet usually for 8 hours minimum, 10 hours max if it's a busy day. I have a pair of Danskos which I loved when I worked retail, but I find they're not flexible enough for all the bending and awkward positions I have to get in. On the other hand, I got a pair of New Balance sneakers, but the sole is too soft and they've compressed enough that it hurts my knees now. The hard sole on the Danskos are great for my knees, but the hard covering is making my big toe go numb...

Anyone here wear any sneakers or something with a harder sole and they're great for walking all day? I was thinking of picking up a pair of Merrell clogs, but I don't have much experience with them. Personally, I absolutely love Doc Marten's but wearing boots to work isn't going to work out I think.

I wear K Swiss Tubes for work. Dansko clogs were awful for me, they caused a lot of hip and arch pain. I tried a few other pairs of sneakers but wasn't happy until I got these shoes. I got the K Swiss shoes at DSW for about $40 on sale, but I think the original price is pretty reasonable. They are light, they let your feet breathe, good arch support, and they absorb the impact of walking around and being in lots of different positions well. I've had them for about a year and a half and they're still in great condition. I would get another pair again.

http://www.footlocker.com/_-_/keyword-k-swiss+tubes

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

front wing flexing posted:

You know an RN is about as little training you can have in the civilian world and work around patients, right? RNs don't really do anything complicated that. And their alleged superior knowledge pharmacology and anatomy and physiology is both dubious and irrelevant as RNs don't make ANY decisions about patient care. They do what they're told by doctors, LPNs, PAs etc.

Change IV, draw blood, check temperature, intake forms, blood pressure, repeat.

just..gonna..leave this here.. in case any of you uh, were interested. You can just click his name to go to the post if you felt like, say, correcting him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

front wing flexing posted:

I am a huge idiot.

Oh wow.

He considers RNs an "entry level" position? Holy Christ.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
As someone who was a Corpsman and is a RN now I can tell you that he is pretty much full of poo poo. While I learned a lot about medicine during my Navy time and it did help prepare for nursing school quite a bit, there was no way I could do my job without going to school before hand.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
That guy must be confused, there's no way he thinks an RN is an entry level position.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

This guy is a blooming loving idiot.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Has this guy even been near a hospital? Does he just assume it's like House M.D. where doctors do everything from starting IVs to lab work, to running the goddamn MRI machine?

Good to know that RNs apparently don't have to make any decisions. Should make tonight's shift a lot simpler.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

It seems like they are discussing an episode of the Daily Show that was on the other night where Jon Stewart was interviewing two army medics and discussing how they didn't qualify for a school nurse position with their military experience. My partner, who is an EMT, and I were unimpressed. Triaging and stabilizing people after a loving bomb has gone off and working with kids and monitoring their insulin pumps are really not analogous.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
It turns out, the moron simply doesn't understand the difference between an RN and a CNA, and doesn't understand why one is [nearly] qualified to be a school nurse and the other isn't.

Regarding the Daily Show interview, my wife and I (both RNs) reacted similarly; the vets should be getting more than what they're being given, but they are asking for far too much. We usually expect John Stewart to be better informed than this. :(

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
All that kind of crap is the very same kind of crap that's led to the AMA making GBS threads their jorts about DNPs and PhD nurse practitioners being called "Doctor" in a clinical setting.

"But they aren't physicians!" is the argument. "Patients will be confused!"

You'll notice that the AMA didn't say poo poo when any of the following -- who aren't physicians-- began to be called doctors in a clinical setting:

1. Podiatrists

2. Clinical Psychologists

3. Veterinarians

4. Optometrists

5. Dentists

etc

It's something about nursing. Some people (always men, incidentally) just really loving hate the idea of nurses being competent trained professionals who've risen above being the well-behaved nuns they literally used to be a hundred years ago.

That dumbass guy in the military thread is just butthurt because again, nursing is supposed to be some kind of cakewalk profession apparently. Who knows.

So in conclusion...gently caress errbody, be a nurse errday.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Chillmatic posted:

So in conclusion...gently caress errbody, be a nurse errday.

:golfclap: I'm going to have that put on my business cards, preferably in Olde English script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Patient: "So you're going to go on to be a Doctor?"

Me: "So you're getting subtly neglected and talked down to all shift?"