Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Could also use it for croutons or bread crumbs.

How important is bacon to beef bourguignon? I want to try making some in the pressure cooker, but most recipes I see aren't using bacon or mushrooms at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tarepanda posted:

Could also use it for croutons or bread crumbs.

How important is bacon to beef bourguignon? I want to try making some in the pressure cooker, but most recipes I see aren't using bacon or mushrooms at all.

Just adds some depth of flavor and savoriness. Not essential but I like to add it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

That really just applies to hand cleaning. One of the advantages to poly boards is that you can thrown them in the dishwasher, which effectively autoclaves them and is pretty much always going to be more effective than hand cleaning.

True. But I still think poly feels awful to cut on compared to wood/sani-tuff. Especially when it's older and all gashed up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tell me more

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Tell me more

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/foodservice/handling/cutting-boards/sani-tuff-all-rubber-cutting-boards

quote:

Cutting boards with all-rubber material will not crack, splinter, chip or swell. Cutting boards won’t absorb liquids or odors. Sani-Tuff rubber boards last longer than wood or plastic. Resiliency preserves knife edge longer and can be resurfaced by sanding. NSF®, USDA and FDA certified.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How are you liking it compared to your wood boards?

I've got poly boards right now but thinking of switching to wood once these get ragged. Anything weird and offbeat would be interesting though

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My Epicurean cutting board is goddamned awesome and I won't use nuffin' else. And they're made in Duluth!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Wait wood actually is sanitary to cut raw chicken on? I've been told my whole life never to do that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jmcrofts posted:

Wait wood actually is sanitary to cut raw chicken on? I've been told my whole life never to do that.

I've been doing it my whole life and am not dead.

I don't even clean the board if it's all going into a soup or something else where all the ingredients will be well cooked. Don't be stupid with it but a lot of people treat chicken like it's a hazmat situation and it's really not necessary.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
wrong subforum.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
raw chicken is not bad for you; infected raw chicken is bad for you

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My mother sent me a desperate text, apparently all of her expensive Oregon Pinot Noirs are reaching the end of their aging process and need to be drank post haste. She has appealed to me for food pairings, and I am going to go visit her to help in her divestment of said wine. That said I need food pairings for lighter pinot noirs with an emphasis on low fiber. I was thinking cornish game hens stuffed with dry fruits like apricot, but any suggestions would be lovely. I will have an unlimited grocery budget while there.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

My mother sent me a desperate text, apparently all of her expensive Oregon Pinot Noirs are reaching the end of their aging process and need to be drank post haste. She has appealed to me for food pairings, and I am going to go visit her to help in her divestment of said wine. That said I need food pairings for lighter pinot noirs with an emphasis on low fiber. I was thinking cornish game hens stuffed with dry fruits like apricot, but any suggestions would be lovely. I will have an unlimited grocery budget while there.

With a light pinot, you can really do just about anything, especially when it comes to meats - like the artsy drunk girl you met at the bar last week, pinot can go both ways. That said, I'd take advantage of that fact and pair it with some fish or shellfish with some kind of mildly fruity, slightly tart sauce. Really, though, the world is your oyster so long as you avoid extremely spiced/spicy dishes that will run over the more delicate parts of the pinot's flavor profile and extremely fatty ones that will contract unpleasantly with the lighter mouth. Enjoy! I've always liked Oregon pinots!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

How are you liking it compared to your wood boards?

I've got poly boards right now but thinking of switching to wood once these get ragged. Anything weird and offbeat would be interesting though

It's great, but a bit industrial looking. If you want pretty, and the last board you will ever buy, you want boardsmith.

http://www.theboardsmith.com/

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Massive goonthanks for the GWS forum, posted here to bolster the ranks of question answerers. The advice and information I've gotten mostly from lurking here has been a massive help in turning my food-based-life around. Now I have a good pantry, and good skills, so that when I'm assembling ingredients on the fly I'm pretty much guaranteed to come up with something delicious. I make omelets so good that I'm embarrassing friends and family at expensive French places going, "Meh, I make better". I turn out picture-perfect bread, I caramelize onions like a boss. drat it feels good to be a kitchen gangsta. Roast chickens make stock 420.

Jmcrofts posted:

Getting over squeamishness about meat is critical. So long as you expend a reasonable amount of effort cleaning your board you will be fine (clear the drip channel, scrub any odd cuts an old board may have).

The real killer is almost always someone using a kitchen sponge to mop up, and then using that chicken-juice-sponge on other surfaces.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I glove up when I'm handling raw chicken, but it's only because the texture really bothers me.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

SubG posted:

I don't know power wise, but in terms of usability and features I really dig the Cuisinart toaster oven I've bought several years ago. It toasts evenly and it has conventional and convection oven settings. My only complaint is pretty minor---there's a lip under the door's hinge that likes to collect crumbs and drips and it's kinda a pain to clean. The interior of the oven is easy enough to clean out---it's got a removeable drip/crumb tray and all that.

According to amazon I bought it a little over eight years ago and I've been using it more or less daily since then, so I'm pretty satisfied overall. This one is the TOB-165, which isn't being made anymore and has been replaced by the TOB-195, which I haven't used. I don't know if their less expensive toaster ovens are as good.

Thank you, I looked this up, it was a little pricier than I hoped, but just went ahead with purchase.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
SHITFUCK.
I want to make bread, so I can eat toast in the morning, but I am out of bread (or pizza crust) yeast.

Can I use wine yeast??? It's 5g of Saccharomyces cerevisae.

Not sure why I didn't google that name first. Comes up as "baker's yeast" so... I guess I just pay too much for "wine yeast"?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 27, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

SHITFUCK.
I want to make bread, so I can eat toast in the morning, but I am out of bread (or pizza crust) yeast.

Can I use wine yeast??? It's 5g of Saccharomyces cerevisae.

Not sure why I didn't google that name first. Comes up as "baker's yeast" so... I guess I just pay too much for "wine yeast"?

There are different strains of the same species. All ale yeasts are S. Cerevisae. As mentioned wine yeast is too. Yet they all impart a different yeast character depending on strain.

That said, yes you're overpaying for wine yeast because you could be harvesting and storing yeast or using the natural yeast that colonizes your grapes.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

There are different strains of the same species. All ale yeasts are S. Cerevisae. As mentioned wine yeast is too. Yet they all impart a different yeast character depending on strain.

That said, yes you're overpaying for wine yeast because you could be harvesting and storing yeast or using the natural yeast that colonizes your grapes.
Thanks.
It's "red wine yeast" that I use to make dry blackberry wine. It didn't dissolve very quickly; I guess I'll just see what it looks like in an hour or so.

zeteki
Apr 14, 2012
Does anyone have a good "starter" greens recipe? I'm sure I could just do smoked thing + water + greens but I've never cooked them before and would love something GWS-tested.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

zeteki posted:

Does anyone have a good "starter" greens recipe? I'm sure I could just do smoked thing + water + greens but I've never cooked them before and would love something GWS-tested.

I like kale wilted in brown butter with a bit of salt. So simple, so good.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

zeteki posted:

I like my collards cooked with the aforementioned smoked thing and water, but I like to start the pot liquor before I add the greens in order to develop a full flavor without overcooking them.

I add a smoked hock to the pot and fry it for a bit, then add a chopped onion, fry until they take on a little color, add a lot of water (sorry I can't be more specific, but about enough to cover all of your greens when you add them), a few shots of vinegar (cider for preference), salt, pepper, hot sauce (Crystal), and a little sugar. Simmer for about an hour while you clean (soak twice in a sink full of water, you don't want any dirt in the pot) and tear your greens, add them to the pot and cook for another hour or so at a simmer. Adjust seasoning and cooking time to taste (depending on how tender you like them, my mom likes them to be cooked until the thickest part of the stem is completely tender, but I prefer a little bite).

Serve with cornbread and black-eyed peas.

zeteki
Apr 14, 2012
Those both sound lovely, thanks guys :)

Rabbi Dan
Oct 26, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY CREEPY FACEBOOK APP FOR STALKING GIRLS I DON'T KNOW
Hey all - I tried making making these the other day: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/sauteed-green-beans-with-soy-shallots-ginger-garlic-and-chile-recipe/index.html

They had really good flavor, but it seemed like all of the sauce/seasoning sunk to the bottom of the bowl instead of sticking onto the green beans. Is there anything I can do differently to make it more of a glaze such that more of the garlic/ginger/etc.. stays on the beans? Also, if you have any similar garlic/ginger/soy green bean recipes that might be better, I'd definitely appreciate it if you could share. Thanks.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Rabbi Dan posted:

Hey all - I tried making making these the other day: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/sauteed-green-beans-with-soy-shallots-ginger-garlic-and-chile-recipe/index.html

They had really good flavor, but it seemed like all of the sauce/seasoning sunk to the bottom of the bowl instead of sticking onto the green beans. Is there anything I can do differently to make it more of a glaze such that more of the garlic/ginger/etc.. stays on the beans? Also, if you have any similar garlic/ginger/soy green bean recipes that might be better, I'd definitely appreciate it if you could share. Thanks.

A bit of cornstarch slurry will make it stick better, that or sauteeing until the sauce dries but you run the risk of overcooking the beans.

A similar way I like my beans is dry fried is a super hot wok then sauteed with soy, ground pork, sichuan pickles, garlic and shaoxing.

like this but with garlic:
http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/29704

Also, yardlong beans are much better for this than standard green beans.

If you want to make this in a south east asian style, my mom used to do the same technique but with fish sauce instead of soy, and shrimp paste instead of sichuan pickles, and with sambal added.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I had an amazing clam dish in Hoi An, it was basically clams in a lovely spicy buttery sauce. I've not managed to replicate it after years of trying.

In my deductions there was lemon grass or freshly squeezed lime, probably the latter, and maybe butter? But for the rest I have no idea, maybe it's the freshness of the clams. Also the Vietnamese are a country with seriously good food, probably in my top three.

The other two are Greece and Israel.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have a good pumpkin pancake recipe? I need some fluffy pancakes as I've received complaints from the wife about the red mill mix I used in the past being too heavy and not fluffy enough...

Rabbi Dan
Oct 26, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY CREEPY FACEBOOK APP FOR STALKING GIRLS I DON'T KNOW

GrAviTy84 posted:

A bit of cornstarch slurry will make it stick better, that or sauteeing until the sauce dries but you run the risk of overcooking the beans.

A similar way I like my beans is dry fried is a super hot wok then sauteed with soy, ground pork, sichuan pickles, garlic and shaoxing.

like this but with garlic:
http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/29704

Also, yardlong beans are much better for this than standard green beans.

If you want to make this in a south east asian style, my mom used to do the same technique but with fish sauce instead of soy, and shrimp paste instead of sichuan pickles, and with sambal added.

Thanks!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nwin posted:

Anyone have a good pumpkin pancake recipe? I need some fluffy pancakes as I've received complaints from the wife about the red mill mix I used in the past being too heavy and not fluffy enough...

Bump up the baking powder and whisk in some whipped egg whites to lighten it up.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

zeteki posted:

Make kale chips! http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/

Also, if you're making something with ground meat, chuck some chopped spinach in there. I always put spinach in burgers.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

bringmyfishback posted:

I always put spinach in burgers.

You should probably stop.

Whenever I have greens that I don't know what to do with, I usually get a giant pan, sauté some onions and bacon. Once they're cooked, I chuck in handfuls of greens, add a splash of white wine vinegar and put the lid on the pan. After a couple of minutes, the greens are ready. You can serve them as a side for something, eat them with some crusty bread, or just shove them in a bowl as a quick snack.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I like pork dishes with lighter pinots. Depending on how light we're talking, pulled pork could work really well - the smoke in the pork will highlight smoky and funky notes in the wines. A simple pork schnitzel works great with more citrusy wines.

Also, cheese. Cheese and wine are perfect together. I've found really funky gooey cheeses like Saint-Marcellin and Epoisse can be pretty interesting with pinots, but they can be a bit much for some people. Cheddar and other long-aged cheeses are a little more conventional and pair just as well. If your pinots are on the fruity side, a light blue can be interesting as well. Avoid goat cheeses; something about them interacts with red wines to make a strong metallic off flavor.

GrAviTy84 posted:

My great grandmother used bread yeast to make wines of all kinds back in the old days, so yes, you can use wine yeast to make bread. Wine yeast is more expensive because it's very tightly controlled for variety. Specific wine yeasts produce specific esters which impact flavor, and have a highly predictable alcohol tolerance. Bread yeast is effective at fermentation, but you can't count on it to stop fermenting at a certain point, or to ferment as much as you'd like. Using wine yeast is a way to eliminate uncertainty and get a more consistent product.

And yes, you could use the yeast on the grapes and it would probably turn out just fine, but the odds of wild Brettanomyces or another yeast ruining the batch are significant. Using packaged yeasts eliminates that risk and lets you tailor the fermentation to the must you're working with.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sandralimu posted:

And yes, you could use the yeast on the grapes and it would probably turn out just fine, but the odds of wild Brettanomyces or another yeast ruining the batch are significant. Using packaged yeasts eliminates that risk and lets you tailor the fermentation to the must you're working with.

You say "ruin" I say "adds unique character". There are a lot of wineries and breweries using natural food borne yeasts now. Went to one last week, Tablas Creek Vineyards, and their wine was delightful. I asked the winemaker specifically if they ever have problems with brett. to which he replied that they do but that they felt the results of using the natural yeasts were superior to using industrial strains.

I know that Nancy Silverton's bread starter uses store bought grapes as a yeast source, too.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 28, 2012

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
This past week we got some jerusalem artichokes in our farm share but aren't really sure what to use them for. Any suggestions?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

lifts cats over head posted:

This past week we got some jerusalem artichokes in our farm share but aren't really sure what to use them for. Any suggestions?

I had scallops on artichoke purée with chilli vinaigrette yesterday and it was very good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/22/roasted-chicken-with-jeru_n_2003810.html

This Yotam Ottolenghi recipe is really good for Jerusalem artichokes

Edit: I bought some goose fat and made amazing roasted potato wedges with it. I'm wondering how best I stored it? Just keep it in a cupboard out of light or does it need to go in the fridge?

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 28, 2012

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I've been making a basic pasta sauce from the "help i'm poor" thread out of Italian seasoned ground pork (aka bulk sausage) and I'm having trouble getting it to break down to smaller pieces when browning. I would prefer having an even consistency of smaller pieces of the sausage and I try to use a flat metal spatula to break it up in my cast iron skillet but it seems much more resistant than ground beef. Is this an inherent property to the pork or is there a simpler method to break it up? I let it warm up for ~30 minutes before cooking and use olive oil in the skillet.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hollis Brown posted:

I've been making a basic pasta sauce from the "help i'm poor" thread out of Italian seasoned ground pork (aka bulk sausage) and I'm having trouble getting it to break down to smaller pieces when browning. I would prefer having an even consistency of smaller pieces of the sausage and I try to use a flat metal spatula to break it up in my cast iron skillet but it seems much more resistant than ground beef. Is this an inherent property to the pork or is there a simpler method to break it up? I let it warm up for ~30 minutes before cooking and use olive oil in the skillet.

Use a different kind of oil (canola would work) (this is also not related to your sticking issue but frying things in olive oil for an extended period is just a waste of the relatively low flash point olive oil) and do it in smaller batches so it browns properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Hollis Brown posted:

Is this an inherent property to the pork or is there a simpler method to break it up?

Try giving it a rough chop with your knife before cooking, that is what I do if I feel I want a finer meat grind.