Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

No, it's nothing new in the app but I think the most surprising thing is that it was never rejected before. The Dropbox app was rejected back in May for the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
But the new registration through the app bit is only possible when using it as a browser. Shouldn't Awful be covered for that under the same terms as any third party browser?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can you filter the login page so the link to sign up for the forums doesn't appear?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
He says he already submitted a new version so I'm guessing he's already found a way around it.

edit: guess I was wrong, haha.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 15, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

withak posted:

Can you filter the login page so the link to sign up for the forums doesn't appear?

Thought about that, but making a less ugly login screen was on my todo list anyway. It's done and submitted.

My understanding is that updates get far less scrutiny than new apps (or "new apps", since we're just moving an existing app). So the original reviewer of Awful two years ago either didn't notice or didn't care about the "sign up" link accessible from the login screen, and nobody looked that hard on the updates.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Ganguro King posted:

Since we've got a new thread, I'm going to repeat my suggestion for the way the app controls should work:

- When a user scrolls to the very top or very bottom of a page, the controls should automatically appear
- Anywhere else in the page, the controls automatically get out of the way
- You can manually toggle the visibility of controls by tapping or using some other gesture

In my experience, 90% of the time I am using the controls to change pages or post a reply, it is at the top or bottom of a page. If you need a concrete example of how this would work, check out the New York Times app.

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for (and your described behavior would be cool) but you can pinch to hide and show the nav bars.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The pinch gesture shouldn't really be necessary if we take the instapaper approach.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
I read all of the thread and I don't recall seeing anyone post about the issues I'm having, so hopefully this bug report will be helpful to someone. For a good while now, the app has been making GBS threads itself in image-heavy threads. I have several different problems related to image threads:

1) It seems to take a long time to load and display all of the pictures in a large thread, and eventually the app will give up and either display blank space, black space or partial images for certain pictures, as seen here:

2) Scrolling down through a thread, I get a bit down the page and then as it loads more images it will bump me back to the post it first loaded, and continue doing this several times until it finishes loading (or more likely not loading) all of the content.

3) Pressing and holding down to save an image to the camera roll results in a neverending pinwheel approximately 50% of the time.

It wouldn't be quite so annoying if the majority of threads I read to kill time on my lunch break weren't chock-full of images by design :(

Valencia fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 19, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like some UIWebView fuckery, which will probably be a bunch of work to fix but hopefully I can do something quick.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Could an option be added to disable phone number parsing? It's annoying to have stuff like "I used 500-1000 staples today" turn into a pointless tappable phone number. Minor gripe though. Just posting while its fresh in mind.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I vote we just never detect phone numbers. And by vote I mean consider it done.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Also works. Didn't know if it was a disablable thing and/or something other people actually found useful. Thank you pokeymans!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I demand the ability to call up goons with a single tap of my finger.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ignore dis.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Request: make a swipe down gesture close the image viewer window, a la the Facebook app.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
First of all, awesome work on the app. I just started using it, after a long time of thinking that viewing the Forums on my phone through Safari was "good enough." Now I'll never go back! It's made reading the forums on my phone as easy as reading Facebook or Twitter, which is great.

Now, a feature request. Would it be possible to add an option to cache 5 or so pages of a thread for offline viewing? My morning commute consists of a subway ride that starts above ground before going underground. It would be nice to pick a long, wordy thread that I've been following and cache the last 5 pages.

I used to do this in Safari by just loading the last few pages in separate tabs, but it was always a game of chance to see whether or not Safari would actually cache the pages, or decide it wanted to reload them when I switched to those tabs.

Either way, thanks for all the hard work!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I use Instapaper for that purpose.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
After studying the code a bit, it seems like the list of posts looks like a uitableview but is actually a uiwebview masquerading as one. I guess this seemed like a good idea because parsing html into tablecells is a PITA, (Chooch where's the api), but changing anything about how posts are displayed requires dicking around with whatever was ripped out of SALR.

Is this a halfway decent assessment? It explains why infinite scrolling via SVPullToRefresh doesn't actually work (since AwfulPage.m is a Controller for a UIWebView rather than a UITableView)

I'm new to the whole iOS programming thing but this strikes me as weird.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Valencia posted:

I read all of the thread and I don't recall seeing anyone post about the issues I'm having, so hopefully this bug report will be helpful to someone. For a good while now, the app has been making GBS threads itself in image-heavy threads. I have several different problems related to image threads:

1) It seems to take a long time to load and display all of the pictures in a large thread, and eventually the app will give up and either display blank space, black space or partial images for certain pictures, as seen here:

2) Scrolling down through a thread, I get a bit down the page and then as it loads more images it will bump me back to the post it first loaded, and continue doing this several times until it finishes loading (or more likely not loading) all of the content.

3) Pressing and holding down to save an image to the camera roll results in a neverending pinwheel approximately 50% of the time.

It wouldn't be quite so annoying if the majority of threads I read to kill time on my lunch break weren't chock-full of images by design :(

I can't remember this being reported before (so thank you!) but I'm having the same issues as well.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

IllegallySober posted:

I can't remember this being reported before (so thank you!) but I'm having the same issues as well.

Oddly enough, if I hold down on a blacked-out or partially loaded picture to load it in fullview, it usually brings up the entire image just fine (if it doesn't do the eternal pinwheel that is).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Now, a feature request. Would it be possible to add an option to cache 5 or so pages of a thread for offline viewing? My morning commute consists of a subway ride that starts above ground before going underground. It would be nice to pick a long, wordy thread that I've been following and cache the last 5 pages.

This is a cool idea.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

printf posted:

After studying the code a bit, it seems like the list of posts looks like a uitableview but is actually a uiwebview masquerading as one. I guess this seemed like a good idea because parsing html into tablecells is a PITA, (Chooch where's the api), but changing anything about how posts are displayed requires dicking around with whatever was ripped out of SALR.

Is this a halfway decent assessment? It explains why infinite scrolling via SVPullToRefresh doesn't actually work (since AwfulPage.m is a Controller for a UIWebView rather than a UITableView)

I'm new to the whole iOS programming thing but this strikes me as weird.

This is a good question, and it's smart to revisit design decisions of the past.

The list of posts is a web view for a few reasons and makes no attempt to masquerade as a table view.

Changing the appearance using HTML and CSS is almost certainly easier than whatever we'd come up with in a table view. You'd need significant domain knowledge in UIKit, Foundation, Core Text, and anything else that gets dragged in to change anything more complicated than the text colour. Whereas we already know how to use CSS.

A web view already handles stuff that we'd have to do ourselves. Text selection is a big one. Accessibility support. Audio and video. Typesetting.

A web view handles stuff we'd probably never get around to doing. Have you tried Safari's remote web inspector for iOS 6? Prototyping changes to the posts list is a joke now, it's so easy.

We can simply dump the forums' HTML right in to a web view. This is essential without an official API. When the forums markup changes and breaks something, we need time to fix it and push out an update (that needs approval before it goes out the door). It also gives Awful new features. A great example is when quotes gained a link to the quoted post: Awful got that immediately, and neither you nor we did a thing to add that.

There are downsides though. It's "slower". (Of course, compared to a hypothetical hand-rolled typesetting engine we'd have to build, a web view will be much faster for a long time.) We can't just throw in a third-party infinite scroll control and be done. JavaScript.

Finally, SALR does very little for us in the current app, and ripping it out entirely is on my todo list. It was handy to jump-start the app a couple years ago, but we can do a better job for the few (two?) things it still does in Awful.

We're just about done the next version of Awful, which we'll submit right after we get in the bloody store. The subsequent version's big theme is overhauling the posts list. I'd love your help if you're interested; it'll be a big project.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Valencia posted:

Oddly enough, if I hold down on a blacked-out or partially loaded picture to load it in fullview, it usually brings up the entire image just fine (if it doesn't do the eternal pinwheel that is).

This is both a good thing–it's a workaround–and a bad thing: it's more evidence that there's some web view fuckery I will not enjoy fixing.

Keep posting anything else you learn (Valencia, IllegallySober, and anyone else), it'll help me figure out what to do about it. Thanks.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

This is a good question, and it's smart to revisit design decisions of the past.
This is all super interesting and I wish I was in any way proficient at coding so I could lend a hand. I'm really glad you've got the reigns on this, you seem eager to jump on new features / bugs as well as knowing what you're doing. Thanks for your time & work buddy :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that scraping pages for offline viewing has been brought up before, but the forums admins are opposed to an app that accesses pages beyond what your normal browsing pattern would be.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's a good point. I want to cache posts anyway, so when that happens you could just hit next page a few times to queue up the thread. Whether we implement anything beyond that labour-intensive process, I'm not sure.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
Ok, this was mentioned in the last thread, but I don't know if it has been fixed in the meantime. Sometimes, punctuation marks (mostly dashes and apostrophes) don't show up in a post. It doesn't happen all the time and sometimes it's even different in a single post.

An example from this very thread as it shows up in Awful (dashes don't show):

The same post in Safari:

An example from an LP thread where no apostrophes show:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've never noticed that issue before, but I can confirm that that post looks fine in the latest builds. I'm not sure if it works in the version currently waiting for review, but it looks like it'll be fixed in the next version after that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MuLepton posted:

Ok, this was mentioned in the last thread, but I don't know if it has been fixed in the meantime. Sometimes, punctuation marks (mostly dashes and apostrophes) don't show up in a post. It doesn't happen all the time and sometimes it's even different in a single post.

This is a bit humbling to admit, but if anyone's curious, this happens because I can't figure out exactly what string encoding the Forums use. It seems like everything I try is wrong. Our current strategy is to try like four different ones until something works.

I really don't like having something in the app that I don't understand, even if it appears to work, so we'll definitely revisit this at some point.

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard

pokeyman posted:

This is a bit humbling to admit, but if anyone's curious, this happens because I can't figure out exactly what string encoding the Forums use. It seems like everything I try is wrong. Our current strategy is to try like four different ones until something works.

I really don't like having something in the app that I don't understand, even if it appears to work, so we'll definitely revisit this at some point.
Just a shot in the dark, but could it be windows-1252? I had a similar problem with a site scraping app I wrote awhile back, and that was the mystery encoding that worked for me. If someone copy/pastes a post they make from MS Word, that might do it.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

The site's encoding is definitely annoying, but like lucky says, it's "windows-1252". That's the only encoding that exactly matches up on weird characters like "–" (en-dash). Beyond that you just need to support HTML-escaped UTF8, which isn't too bad since webkit does it for ya.

Character encoding was a total pain in awful.apk, I feel your pain.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Geekner posted:

Beyond that you just need to support HTML-escaped UTF8

Followup question: what string encoding should we use for replies?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Followup question: what string encoding should we use for replies?

What we end up doing is a bit of a hack, but it seems to work pretty well. We unescape the HTML encoded characters into native java strings (which fully support UTF-8 internally).

That allows the user to see quoted text properly. The website reply window shows the escaped characters, (try replying to this post on your desktop). The app, however, shows the actual characters.

Then when they go to post, it'll convert anything outside the the ASCII range back into escaped characters. We use the Apache common-lang library and a regex to convert the characters. The common-lang handles the edge-case HTML excaping stuff (like > = & gt;, < - & lt;, ect), and the regex just replaces any characters with a codepoint in the UTF range with the HTML-escaped equivalent. The text you send back should be windows-1252 compliant, since anything outside the first 127 characters will end up HTML escaped.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's fantastic info, thanks a ton. Not looking forward to loving with this but looking forward to having something that actually works.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The biggest problem I would like fixed is reading a thread and all of a sudden getting bumped back to the top because the app has finally finished loading all of the images.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Oceanbound posted:

The biggest problem I would like fixed is reading a thread and all of a sudden getting bumped back to the top because the app has finally finished loading all of the images.

Yeah this feature is useful on a web browser when you might end up 10 previous posts above the unread, but completely annoying since awful allows you load only unread

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Oceanbound posted:

I'd even be okay with going back to the loading icon spinning in the top-right corner until everything is loaded so I at least know to wait to start reading. As it is, you currently have no idea whether the app is still loading images once it finishes loading all the text (at least that's what I think is going on.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

completely annoying since awful allows you load only unread

This is a good point. I wouldn't mind losing it at this point.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I'm probably going to steal that option for the android app. It makes total sense to disable the scroll-jump if you are only showing new posts.

Handling the initial scroll position is a total pain in the rear end, I don't have a proper way to avoid the scroll-back you get when images pop in. It's really weird that mobile webkit has this issue since Chrome's webkit fixed it a long time ago. Maybe the forums use some hack I'm not aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
How about swipe to hide threads you don't want to ever see, and I guess an option in settings to "reset hidden threads"?

• Locked thread