Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oooh oooh, what did that guy do wrong? Presuming thats security cam footage?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Well seeing as how a R1100RT weighs something like 620 lbs (among other things), he's going to be in trouble for worker's comp fraud.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 25, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Only if he has to pick it up. Kick it over and shout "What are you gonna do about it!?"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

astrollinthepork posted:

Well seeing as how a R1100RT weighs something like 620 lbs, he's going to be in trouble for worker's comp fraud.

Ahh, got it. I'd have thought they weighed more than that honestly, they're big bikes

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Definitely gonna need more details. It doesn't take much lifting to ride a well-balanced bike around no matter what it weighs.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Splizwarf posted:

Definitely gonna need more details.
I have a secccreeetttt.

*edit*

I'm rolling the dice with the pics enough as it is.

Splizwarf posted:

It doesn't take much lifting to ride a well-balanced bike around no matter what it weighs.
There's a lot more to it than those two stills. There's also a lot more to getting a bike going than being able to balance it.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 25, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Trap sprung im that guy and im calling hr

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

astrollinthepork posted:

There's also a lot more to getting a bike going than being able to balance it.

Like letting out the clutch?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

I have a secccreeetttt.

*edit*

I'm rolling the dice with the pics enough as it is.

There's a lot more to it than those two stills. There's also a lot more to getting a bike going than being able to balance it.

I don't know what this is about, but big R-series tourers are built specifically for overweight late-middle-aged men with bad backs. It would take more effort getting in and out of a Cadillac than riding one of those things around.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

There's also a lot more to getting a bike going than being able to balance it.

I would like to know more. :allears:

clutchpuck posted:

Maybe it's a wrist injury! I'm really curious what his workman's comp claim is for, so we can tell if this is a witch-hunt or what.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 25, 2012

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Saga posted:

They don't have to make it, the 363 sale just needs to be approved, and the buyer's DIP funding plus the petition itself makes that fairly likely. You don't generally offer to buy a mfg business, cause it to file a bankruptcy petition and then refuse to honour existing warranties, it tends to piss off everyone downstream. :reject: well I mean I would, but then I post on something awful.com

Didn't know it was a pre-packaged 11. Makes the political herp derp on it ("another Solyndra . . . Obama is a seckrit Muslim WAARGGHL") even stupider.

As for culling warranty obligations, the downstream rancor might be tough for a mfg outfit that sells through a B2B or distribution network, but consumer warranties don't get that kind of love (see, e.g., frequent flyer miles).

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Linedance posted:

I don't know what this is about, but big R-series tourers are built specifically for overweight late-middle-aged men with bad backs. It would take more effort getting in and out of a Cadillac than riding one of those things around.

This is true. I have a back injury and it's easier for me to get on and off my bike than it is to get in and out of the car. I can also ride the bike for longer amounts of time without back pain than I can endure while driving the car.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

clutchpuck posted:

Well that and hiking a leg up, maneuvering the bike around with one's legs, and other various wrist and hand movements. I'm not a doctor, prosecutor, or lawyer so it's not really up to me to decide these sorts of things. Those stills are just one example of many of things that aren't really consistent with his injury. The client is happy with the video and that's telling me that they're gonna nail him.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

astrollinthepork posted:

Well that and hiking a leg up, maneuvering the bike around with one's legs, and other various wrist and hand movements. I'm not a doctor, prosecutor, or lawyer so it's not really up to me to decide these sorts of things. Those stills are just one example of many of things that aren't really consistent with his injury. The client is happy with the video and that's telling me that they're gonna nail him.

:frogon:

You kicked the hornet's nest. You must elaborate now or we will all slowly needle you to death.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Wulframn posted:

:frogon:

You kicked the hornet's nest. You must elaborate now or we will all slowly needle you to death.

It's really, really not interesting in any way. I wish I could say it was.

The luggage may or may not be filled with cocaine.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'd say insurance fraud or something like that. Watched a documentary on it last month.

It's more interesting than it looks!

EDIT: That dude is going to get screwed over pretty hard if the client is that happy.

Odette fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 25, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The thing is, this sounds like it's in "You can't park there, you don't look handicapped!" territory. Being able to walk a little isn't the same as being able to walk a lot etc etc. The client may get reamed on this one and I'd like to think part of our interest here is in helping you make sure your rear end is well-covered, astrollinthepork. If we knew what's supposed to be wrong with the guy it'd probably be put to rest pretty easily.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Splizwarf posted:

The thing is, this sounds like it's in "You can't park there, you don't look handicapped!" territory. Being able to walk a little isn't the same as being able to walk a lot etc etc. The client may get reamed on this one and I'd like to think part of our interest here is in helping you make sure your rear end is well-covered, astrollinthepork.

Clients want video of every single individual action a person takes in a day. Even stuff as simple as opening a mailbox. It's up to them what happens, and it's up to doctors and attorneys to interpret the video. I don't say "Well I have this video of him doing this and that is definitely not consistent with the injury." It's not my job to interpret those actions in relation to injuries, just to hand it over. Like I said, I'm not a doctor so those calls aren't up to me.

What happens 99% of the time is that the video is sent to the claimant's doctor without any sort of legal involvement unless the claimant has already lawyered up. In both cases, the doctor and or attorney will review the video with the claimant and they'll make a choice to either drop the claim or fight it out. Outright fraud is rare. Injuries usually start out as genuine, but sometimes take longer to recover than they should. There's no interest in litigation or prosecution, just stopping the claim.

In this particular case, the client has interpreted the video as good news.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

It's not my job to interpret those actions in relation to injuries, just to hand it over.

Oh ok, you're good. Is it legal to stalk a dude and videotape him without his knowledge, or does he know? Or did he waive his privacy rights in his claim paperwork (which wouldn't shocking)?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Splizwarf posted:

Oh ok, you're good. Is it legal to stalk a dude and videotape him without his knowledge, or does he know? Or did he waive his privacy rights in his claim paperwork (which wouldn't shocking)?

It's legal to the point of someone feeling as if they're harassed. So discretion is the name of the game. Some of it is a gray (civil) area though, but unless I do something blatantly illegal nothing will happen. I can't do things like, videotape people through windows or go on private property. There may be some small print in claim paperwork as well, but I'm not privy to such things.

I'm dying to add a motorcycle related question here but I got nothin'!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

The thing is, this sounds like it's in "You can't park there, you don't look handicapped!" territory. Being able to walk a little isn't the same as being able to walk a lot etc etc. The client may get reamed on this one and I'd like to think part of our interest here is in helping you make sure your rear end is well-covered, astrollinthepork. If we knew what's supposed to be wrong with the guy it'd probably be put to rest pretty easily.

Conversely though I was unable to ride for almost 2 weeks thanks to a really slight shoulder injury that prevented me fully extending my left arm - you never become more aware of just how many slow right turns there are on your ride to work than when you have something like that.

As it also made it tricky to use a keyboard in a normal position (I ended up just putting it on my lap) I suppose I could have taken time off work for that minor injury but had they then seen me happily riding around (and taking slow right turns) I'd have been hosed over.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Pretty much that, I injured my back and the only place I could sit without pain was my car (protip: heated car seats are god's gift to back injury). I could walk fine but couldn't stand in one place, or sit basically anywhere. Lost my job because I couldn't pick heavy poo poo up, and because I was technically a self-employed contractor there was no workman's comp claim in the cards. It turned out I had ejected L4 picking heavy poo poo up. :saddowns:

Still gives me trouble off and on and I really hope when I've got that GS450 together that this doesn't gently caress me for riding. At least it's not a hardtail!

The point is that a lot of the time I looked fine, because (go figure) I was always trying to not be in a position that hurt! My boss at my current job occasionally says something like "But I see you walking the yard and you look fine!" and I have to point to the PT paperwork again (the constant muscle movement of walking apparently "dynamically stabilizes" the L-discs). I'm glad that astrollinthepork's explanation includes doctors in the discussion.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Might want to talk to a doctor about riding, a guy on xjbikes had to sell a bike he rebuilt due to a back injury. Apparently if he ever fell of his bike he'd end up paralyzed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: wrong thread

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 26, 2012

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ever since I rode home in really torrential rain last week my headlight is hosed. The tiny parking light is fine and so is full beam, but low beam either flickers on and off pathetically or just doesn't work at all. I just had the front off and took the bulb out/reconnected wires etc and it's done nothing.

Duff bulb, or has the rain shorted something out somewhere?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Ashex posted:

Might want to talk to a doctor about riding, a guy on xjbikes had to sell a bike he rebuilt due to a back injury. Apparently if he ever fell of his bike he'd end up paralyzed.

Nah, nothing crazy like that. My doctor basically said "no cruisers" and I've been on the mend for a good while; the encounters with my boss were early last year. I suspect adding a weight belt to my gear will be a good idea too. (plus it adds kidney protection which MC gear never seems to have, wtf).

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Frankston posted:

Ever since I rode home in really torrential rain last week my headlight is hosed. The tiny parking light is fine and so is full beam, but low beam either flickers on and off pathetically or just doesn't work at all. I just had the front off and took the bulb out/reconnected wires etc and it's done nothing.

A short would blow fuses. Sounds like you have a sporadic open in the light circuit. Something must be loose in the connections or maybe corroded.

Pull the headlight bucket and clean the connections with some contact cleaner.

Probably let the bucket dry out too. Then use a little dielectric grease on the shiny terminals and connectors to keep them dry.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Frankston posted:

I think the filament broke, and is just flopping around loosely, sometimes making contact. Look inside the lens and rattle the bike around and see if anything moves in there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

HotCanadianChick posted:

This brings to mind the first thing i ever learned about motorcycles, back as a teenager:

"Never ride a bike you can't upright on your own. Otherwise it's gonna be a long walk back home."

LOL!

I remember as a 13-14 year old, my dad and I went out camping with some other father/sons. We had a 1984 Goldwing Interstate (full of fuel, beer and probably 30lbs of stuff in the bags) and I asked if I could ride it around the campground. He said sure. He was also drunk out of his mind. All was going good until I had to turn around. The fear of your old man beating the gently caress out of you let this 14 year old pick that drat thing up and ride it back. I think he noticed a couple scratches (I was able to let it down gently) but I figure he must have thought he did it himself and just couldn't remember.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've picked an 800 lb cruiser up off the ground, if you use proper technique it really is no huge task.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

LOL!

I remember as a 13-14 year old, my dad and I went out camping with some other father/sons. We had a 1984 Goldwing Interstate (full of fuel, beer and probably 30lbs of stuff in the bags) and I asked if I could ride it around the campground. He said sure. He was also drunk out of his mind. All was going good until I had to turn around. The fear of your old man beating the gently caress out of you let this 14 year old pick that drat thing up and ride it back. I think he noticed a couple scratches (I was able to let it down gently) but I figure he must have thought he did it himself and just couldn't remember.

On my last crash I was so buzzed with adrenaline that I not only managed to pick up my bike the "wrong" way (just grabbed the bars and lifted, which is probably the hardest way to do it) I did it with enough force that it overbalanced the other way and basically judo-flipped me over it back onto the deck, from where I almost managed to do it again, only stopped by another biker grabbing the other side and putting the sidestand down for me.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
When you're scrambling like a jackass because you just dumped your bike you can probably lift more than you could if you just randomly walked up and tried. Embarrassment should help.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

clutchpuck posted:

I've picked an 800 lb cruiser up off the ground, if you use proper technique it really is no huge task.
That's a pretty big caveat. Most don't and I certainly didn't at 14.

Agree, adrenalin had more than a little to do with it in my case!

Edit: Another guy I knew came up to a red light on his wing, dumped it right next to a cop. Panicked, picked it up and rode right through the red light.

Cop just sat in his cruiser, shaking his head.
:ughh:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 27, 2012

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Tamir Lenk posted:

Then use a little dielectric grease on the shiny terminals and connectors to keep them dry.

This is one of the first things you should do if you purchase a used bike - especially if you live in a damp state - like I do in Florida. During our rainy season everything gets soaked, so it's worth five or ten bucks for a can of dielectric grease and then coat all the connections and terminals.

I got a used Honda Rebel and installed a new headlight and a bunch of other stuff. I wasn't thinking - as I'd always driven a car - and didn't bother to do this. I'm used to the car's electronics being pretty well sealed up.

One ride through a storm later and I ripped that motherfucker apart and coated every terminal, connection, etc. I could reach without breaking the bike down to nuts and bolts.

Haven't had an issue since :v:

clutchpuck posted:

The issue is that no one really teaches the proper technique. Some MSF courses do (I think they are supposed to as per the curriculum) but mine did not and I have friends who didn't learn in their [MSF] course either.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I picked up a 1985 KLR 250, which the previous owner said had been sitting around for a while and leaked gas. I've gone through the carb and fuel tank and found these issues related to the leak:

Float bowl gasket is cracked
Float bowl drain screw missing o-ring
Idle mixture screw missing o-ring, washer, and spring
Float bosses have holes in them, so the float needle never closes the incoming fuel line.
Petcock gasket is cracked

So I ordered a carb rebuild kit, which covers the first four problems. I didn't order the part for the petcock at the same time because I didn't realize until yesterday that it leaks like a faucet in the off position. :buddy:

So my questions now are:
1. How bad is it if the petcock leaks? Shouldn't the float needle in the carb theoretically stop it from continually draining?
2. The idle mixture screw spring I received is extremely stiff. The mixture screw ends up being about 10-12 turns out compared to not having a spring in there. When people say that the mixture screw should be X amount of turns out, they mean with the spring in place right? I just don't know when to start unscrewing the mixture screw since it feels like I can muscle in the spring more before I should start unscrewing. At the same time, I don't want to push the screw too far in since last time I did that, it ended up bending the metal washer and pushing the rubber o-ring into the narrow chamber where the mixture screw tip sits. That was a pretty fun two hours to undo that mess.
3. Spark plug Something screwed into the engine is seized and the nut on it seems really soft. I'm using the correct sized wrench and the metal is stripping. I'm not sure if it's okay to use PB blaster or something since I probably don't want that getting into the cylinder?

edit: Here's a picture to explain what I'm looking at:

http://i.imgur.com/n38Re.jpg

#1 and #2 connect to each other, I'm assuming that's the spark plug and cable.
#3 and #4 connect to each other. #4 just looks like a quick disconnect and I'm not sure what #3 is supposed to be but it's really stuck in there. The #4 cable leads into a bunch of other cables that are wrapped together and head towards the steering column of the bike. What the hell is this #3 supposed to be?

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 27, 2012

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
I'd like an appraisal of this situation.

I just moved and brought my motorcycle in a trailer. My shockingly braindead attempt at a tiedown resulted in the bike mostly tipping over, a small dent to the gas tank and a lot of pressure applied to the brand new front tire at the edge of the chock. I am not a smart man :downs:

I eventually got it tied properly and made it over a lovely bumpy road with no issues. There's still a little dent in the tire (it rebounded a lot since the move). It doesn't look like much:

I'm honestly not sure if this is a big deal or not. On one hand, it looks like a very small cosmetic dent, and I'm probably worrying about nothing. On the other hand, it was an awful lot of pressure on a small area, which seems like it could have done deeper damage to the tire. Either way, I have to drive it for an hour on the highway before it'll be in a place I can do work on it.

What would you do?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

fartzilla posted:

I'd like an appraisal of this situation.

I just moved and brought my motorcycle in a trailer. My shockingly braindead attempt at a tiedown resulted in the bike mostly tipping over, a small dent to the gas tank and a lot of pressure applied to the brand new front tire at the edge of the chock. I am not a smart man :downs:

I eventually got it tied properly and made it over a lovely bumpy road with no issues. There's still a little dent in the tire (it rebounded a lot since the move). It doesn't look like much:

I'm honestly not sure if this is a big deal or not. On one hand, it looks like a very small cosmetic dent, and I'm probably worrying about nothing. On the other hand, it was an awful lot of pressure on a small area, which seems like it could have done deeper damage to the tire. Either way, I have to drive it for an hour on the highway before it'll be in a place I can do work on it.

What would you do?

Park it in the sun all day long and see if it rebounds out any more.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

yergacheffe posted:

1. How bad is it if the petcock leaks? Shouldn't the float needle in the carb theoretically stop it from continually draining?

In theory. In practice, I would drop $25 and order a replacement from Eagle Mike.
http://www.eaglemike.com/Manual-Petcock-for-KLR650-mpcy.htm

I've had a vacuum operated petcock fail on me, and it was annoying. The manual one pops right in.

edit: Most days, I rely on the float needle. However, if I'm parking the motorcycle for a week or more, I turn the petcock off and drain the carb (either using the drain screw or by running the engine until no more gas).

yergacheffe posted:

3. Spark plug Something screwed into the engine is seized and the nut on it seems really soft. I'm using the correct sized wrench and the metal is stripping. I'm not sure if it's okay to use PB blaster or something since I probably don't want that getting into the cylinder?

PB Blaster is petroleum based. I wouldn't go using it as starter fluid or anything, but a little bit in your cylinder will burn away with no problems.

Thing #3 in your diagram is the coolant temperature sensor. I've never removed one, but I would spray it liberally with PB Blaster (repeatedly, over the course of several days) if you think it's sticking.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

fartzilla posted:

What would you do?

Check the pressure, ride it and see if there's any weird vibrations or anything. Its probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Check the pressure, ride it and see if there's any weird vibrations or anything. Its probably fine.

This. The tread has deformed, but that's what it's supposed to do, it's a tyre.