Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Kinison is only funny if you are an angry person who reacts that way to adversity on some level (the screaming/swearing, I mean). His act relied on audience familiarity to a big extent, kind of like Lewis Black today.

Kinison hit like a loving atom bomb when he first made the LA scene. His material was actually pretty edgy and outrageous, and the way he delivered it absolutely destroyed everyone because it was so fresh and fun. He was a unique comic voice, and its not out of kindness that so many people who saw him ascend the ranks thought he was brilliant.

Then comes the coke and the drinking and the gang of stand-ups he lorded over and used like a bunch of petty thugs. People stopped telling him no, which is how Rock n Roll Sam came to be, and his material went from being relatively clever to screaming human being jokes and talking about women like they were barnyard animals, and the lovely mesomorphs that think screaming human being jokes is about as clever as it gets, the same people that made Dice incredibly wealthy, thought he was the second coming.

Sam was amazing for a couple of good years, but he was a worst case example of someone becoming a victim of their own fame. Plus, I thought he was hilarious in Back to School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I was Black in 2005 and thought he was good. Haven't heard anything from him since though.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Anyone enjoy demetri martin's new album/dvd? They're different sets, at least partially. Two different shows.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

rear end Catchcum posted:

Anyone enjoy demetri martin's new album/dvd? They're different sets, at least partially. Two different shows.

Was it the same material on his recent Comedy Central special? That was... fine. I liked it, but I don't see myself coming back to it. I seem to remember liking his earlier stuff better, but maybe his gimmick was just fresher then.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Demitri's weird for me just because I really didn't do much more than chuckle when I saw him live, but I still thought his set was a lot of fun. I felt very British.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DangerDummy! posted:

Demitri's weird for me just because I really didn't do much more than chuckle when I saw him live, but I still thought his set was a lot of fun. I felt very British.

I get the same thing, I don't laugh super hard at him but I buy his stuff and enjoy his shows and all. He's just one of those kinds of comedians I guess.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

BobTheCow posted:

Was it the same material on his recent Comedy Central special? That was... fine. I liked it, but I don't see myself coming back to it. I seem to remember liking his earlier stuff better, but maybe his gimmick was just fresher then.

If he did stuff with the easel and drawings, etc. that's the same as the DVD. The album is different, in a different venue, some different material, etc.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I haven't seen his new stuff, but I really like simple jokes that are being told well. He's not offensive or edgy or hyperactive, so it's actually kind of refreshing to listen to him sometimes.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I haven't seen his new stuff, but I really like simple jokes that are being told well. He's not offensive or edgy or hyperactive, so it's actually kind of refreshing to listen to him sometimes.

Sometimes Ill catch his shows or he'll come on pandora etc, and its really relaxing. I think he's very funny but sometimes I find myself getting tired. Its probably a cadence thing or w/e.

AllShamNoWow
Oct 13, 2012

AllShamNoWow fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 27, 2021

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

AllShamNoWow posted:

Someone I've found recently and have really enjoyed is Jerrod Carmichael. He doesn't have a lot of material out there but everything that I've seen I've loved. My favorite bit of his is one about the Chik-fil-A controversy when it was still topical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKVNMdSZPOM

He was on that episode of CBB with Paul Rust and Jessica St. Clair. He was pretty funny, especially for a first time guest, and in the presence of such CBB pros.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

He was on that episode of CBB with Paul Rust and Jessica St. Clair. He was pretty funny, especially for a first time guest, and in the presence of such CBB pros.

NEW NO NO, IF YOUR GOING TO BE ON COMEDY BANG BANG, I GET TO LISTEN TO YOU DO STAND UP COMEDY

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm familiar with Doug Stanhope's stuff that I've seen online, but I feel like I've heard mixed reviews on his live performances. Anybody seen him? He's coming to town for one night in a week or two and I can't decide if I want to go.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
He's the best comic I've ever seen live, and I've seen him live three times since 2006 and I am planning to see him again later this year.

But I guess it depends what you want to see. The reason why I love seeing Doug Stanhope live is because his set doesn't feel fake. He'll sometimes talk to the audience in the middle of a bit if he feels like it or gets bored. He doesn't really care if he forgets to do a joke, and he'll tell you when he does. I love that his sets are flawed and that he's honest about it. You'll get plenty of his comedy too, but you'll also get to see Doug being himself in the moment. Most comedians aren't comfortable at all with doing that on stage, while Doug does it pretty much every night.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bubba Smith posted:

He's the best comic I've ever seen live, and I've seen him live three times since 2006 and I am planning to see him again later this year.

But I guess it depends what you want to see. The reason why I love seeing Doug Stanhope live is because his set doesn't feel fake. He'll sometimes talk to the audience in the middle of a bit if he feels like it or gets bored. He doesn't really care if he forgets to do a joke, and he'll tell you when he does. I love that his sets are flawed and that he's honest about it. You'll get plenty of his comedy too, but you'll also get to see Doug being himself in the moment. Most comedians aren't comfortable at all with doing that on stage, while Doug does it pretty much every night.

Yeah, I've never seen Doug live but there are a few soundboard bootlegs floating around and they are extremely interesting to listen to. Live At The Empty Bottle is basically him working a rock club and he's controls this rowdy crowd other comics would fall apart in.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

BobTheCow posted:

I'm familiar with Doug Stanhope's stuff that I've seen online, but I feel like I've heard mixed reviews on his live performances. Anybody seen him? He's coming to town for one night in a week or two and I can't decide if I want to go.

I saw Doug perform about a month and a half ago, and he was absolutely phenomenal. I saw Louis CK a few weeks later, and I enjoyed Doug's show just as much as Louis's.

He did some jokes specific to what he thought the audience would want to hear, and he definitely did not disappoint. I'm hoping I get the chance to see him again, when he comes into town next time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Definitely recommend Stanhope. He goes into tangents and doesn't stick to a set.

I've seen him a few times, and I laugh my rear end off every time.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Stanhope is the best comedian to see live. You MUST go.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
I saw this on Facebook, something the comedy club back home is doing. http://imgur.com/QK3z5

Does anybody else think this is a little hosed up and insulting? Or am I too sensitive?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Dick Holden posted:

I saw this on Facebook, something the comedy club back home is doing. http://imgur.com/QK3z5

Does anybody else think this is a little hosed up and insulting? Or am I too sensitive?

Yeah that's pretty bad. Might be different if it were funny, but that ad makes it pretty clear they're just exploiting the legacy of those comics.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dick Holden posted:

Wait, what are they actually doing? Going up there and performing their sets? Doing impressions? Showing videos?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Well drat, I'll be sure to go see Stanhope, thanks for the feedback, guys.

I saw Mike Birbiglia last week, I was trying to temper my expectations going in but I ended up liking the show a lot. I was worried a lot of it would be material I'd heard before, but it was almost entirely new stuff, with a little bit from the Sleepwalk With Me movie. Plus he was signing autographs and taking photos with people afterwards and was super friendly, nice bonus.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yeah that's pretty bad. Might be different if it were funny, but that ad makes it pretty clear they're just exploiting the legacy of those comics.

Thats why its funny

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
At the Mitch Hedberg tribute show several years ago in Minneapolis, Dave Mordal mentioned that Hedberg sometimes just didn't feel like doing a good show (probably because of drugs). He off-handedly said that Stanhope was like that sometimes as well.

The way it was a decade ago, 1 out of every 100 shows or so, Stanhope was an angry dick without much of a routine. I think he's gotten his act together since then, as I haven't heard of him doing a bad show in at least five years.

Deadbeat Hero is probably my favorite comedy album. It's a work of art.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, what are they actually doing? Going up there and performing their sets? Doing impressions? Showing videos?

Apparently it's an open mic invitation to do an impression of your favorite dead comedian. So... yeah.

I think it's weird a comedy club would have a theme night. I thought the theme was comedy?

Barrage
Jul 27, 2010

Dick Holden posted:

Apparently it's an open mic invitation to do an impression of your favorite dead comedian. So... yeah.

I think it's weird a comedy club would have a theme night. I thought the theme was comedy?

No way they're charging 20$ for an open mic competition.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I've just remembered that on Night of Too Many Stars (a show for charity for autistic children), Seinfeld mentioned his new DVD. A simple google search didn't seem to bring up anything. Is this his new stand-up DVD or something else?

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

toanoradian posted:

I've just remembered that on Night of Too Many Stars (a show for charity for autistic children), Seinfeld mentioned his new DVD. A simple google search didn't seem to bring up anything. Is this his new stand-up DVD or something else?

There was an awkward pause, so Jason Sudeikis asked Jerry if there was anything he wanted to pitch. Jerry picked up Hannibal Burress' DVD and said "Yeah, this is my new DVD" and Jason said "You photograph very well." Jerry then reads it "...Hannibal Burress"

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
This is amazing. I'm nearly in tears.

I recommend you read below but the tl;dr version is that some interviewer dolt mixed up Johnny Rotten's and Doug Stanhope's interview times and phonenumbers so Stanhope(hungover as always) said gently caress it and did the interview impersonating Johnny Rotten, horrible english accent and all.

http://www.examiner.com/article/doug-stanhope-fools-huffpo-by-impersonating-johnny-rotten?cid=rss (article about the incident)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/chatting-with-pils-john-l_b_2004088.html (article and transcript of the interview here)

http://soundcloud.com/dstanhope/john-lydon-interview (audio)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2kELoAQs4

Dougstanhope.com

quote:

I get a call at 7:45 a.m. a few weeks ago that I only got up for to scream at whoever dare call at that hour.

Missing the call, I check the voice message and it says -

"Hey John it's Mike Ragogna from KRUU & HuffPost - we have a phone interview scheduled if you can please call the studio line - it'll be real easy, just a few questions about the new release and PiL."

I had an interview scheduled with this same guy at noon so he'd obviously put the wrong phone number to the wrong guest - and although I don't know poo poo about music I did catch the John and the PiL together and realized he was calling for John Lydon aka Johnny Rotten.

So I dialed the number he'd called me from, got voicemail and left a message saying who I was and that he'd called the wrong guest.
Ten minutes later I'm woken up again to the phone ringing and now I loving furious.

"Hey John it's Mike Ragogna from KRUU & HuffPost - we have a phone interview scheduled if you can please call the studio line..."

This time I said gently caress it, wrote down the studio number, put on the best British accent I could muster (which is absolutely loving awful) and called in to do the interview as best as I could, being still half asleep and not knowing poo poo about who I am pretending to be.

We assumed that there was no way it would ever air... certainly someone would realize or fact check - I mean, I left him a voicemail message on his cell phone that he was calling the wrong number.

But they put it up today and at this moment still have no idea. I bet they pull it all down shortly after this goes up but we now have the recording and screen shots as back-up.

Find the KRUU.com audio version HERE (starts around 12:30) and the transcript of the interview on Huffington Post HERE.

Sadly they edited out the fun parts where I would pause to fake-vomit mouthfuls of water into the toilet our loudly take a piss with the phone just over the bowl but they left in the "Howard Stern" and "Baba-Booey." How could they have ever guess they'd been duped?

Also, HERE is an interview I did as myself on same phone number later. Guy still clueless.

In case the original interview and audio disappear, evidence is embedded below.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 26, 2012

darklcd
Apr 13, 2012
Holy poo poo that is amazing. As if I needed anything more to pump me up about seeing him on Wednesday.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Internet journalism.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Todd Glass's special is on Netflix Instant, and it's great.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
Moshe Kasher has a new one on there as well. I haven't seen it yet but I'm a fan of his stuff, so I'm hoping it's good.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Saw Chelsea Perreti tonight. She wasn't too thrilled with the NoVA audience and went after a heckler early. Once she warmed up she was great.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Actually a little disappointed by Todd Glass' special. It felt like a lot of it was retreading Thin Pig. On the other hand, Moshe's was my first exposure to his actual material and it made me laugh myself silly.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Who do you think the unfunniest comedian on Netflix streaming is, excluding the obvious Mencias, Sinbads, and Larry the Cable Guys. Ralpie May? Russel Peters?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Actually a little disappointed by Todd Glass' special. It felt like a lot of it was retreading Thin Pig. On the other hand, Moshe's was my first exposure to his actual material and it made me laugh myself silly.

I first discovered Moshe Kasher doing a short set on Conan earlier this year, and he killed, especially talking about his deaf parents. Then I found out he had just written an autobiographical book called Kasher in the Rye, and I was really excited to read it. It was one of the most depressing books I've ever read, though. He had a miserable childhood and did a lot of lovely things as a drug-addicted juvenile delinquent. It's good to see how much he has turned his life around, but I was stunned by his honesty and willingness to portray himself in such a horrible (and accurate) light.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I first discovered Moshe Kasher doing a short set on Conan earlier this year, and he killed, especially talking about his deaf parents. Then I found out he had just written an autobiographical book called Kasher in the Rye, and I was really excited to read it. It was one of the most depressing books I've ever read, though. He had a miserable childhood and did a lot of lovely things as a drug-addicted juvenile delinquent. It's good to see how much he has turned his life around, but I was stunned by his honesty and willingness to portray himself in such a horrible (and accurate) light.

Listen to his You Made It Weird if you wanna hear about his hosed up sex life. And definitely listen to The Champs with Moshe, Neal Brennan, and DJ Dougpound. They only interview black guests (for the most part) and it's a real "guy's guy" podcast with poo poo-talking and frank talk about race, sex, and women that's far away from the incestuous Earwolf love-fests.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 28, 2012

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Saw Aziz working some new material at Crash Test at UCB last night. Was fun. He told one guy to please not record him because its new material and the guy didn't laugh the rest of the set which was funny because he had no reason to be pissed. He was asked nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Al! posted:

Who do you think the unfunniest comedian on Netflix streaming is, excluding the obvious Mencias, Sinbads, and Larry the Cable Guys. Ralpie May? Russel Peters?

Do people really think Ralphie May is that unfunny? I've enjoyed most of his stand up that I've seen.