Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
All this talk of flashing CELs being the end of the world...mine was flashing on a trip awhile ago right after I changed my CPS, but it hasn't done it since...this was like 1000 miles ago. I am fine right?

Also, how the hell do I get the rubber bushing(?)around the steering assembly near the fire wall to quit squeaking in the cold(99 XJ)? I have covered the inside of it in copious amounts of white lithium grease to no avail. I can pull the rubber back and then it doesn't squeak, but I can hear a lot more engine noise this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It may be a good idea to check the adjustment on your rear brakes while messing with the parking brake.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
I believe I mentioned this in my MJ thread, but I might as well raise it here too.

Does anyone have a line on an external-slave bellhousing, front bearing retainer, and shift fork (primary the first two) for an AX15? At the moment, these are the last bits I need to source to get the truck back together and capable of an 1100-mile round trip at Thanksgiving. I'm hitting up a few junkyards in Greenville this weekend, but if the past year has been any indication, odds aren't good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I *think* I have a spare clutch fork (or do you mean a shift fork for inside the trans? you listed it with other clutch stuff so I suspect not) that will fit but not sure.

You already check CL? I missed a FIFTY DOLLAR AX15 (yeah, that pissed me off, some guy bought it hours before I called the seller) a few weeks ago because I didn't do my on-a-whim AX15 craigslist search until a few hours too late. First one I ever got I traded about $150 in parts for, and the second cost me $200 friend-price, third was $200 from a junkyard for CommissarGribbs' YJ, so the second I saw it I called... alas it was already gone.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 19, 2012

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

rally posted:

All this talk of flashing CELs being the end of the world...mine was flashing on a trip awhile ago right after I changed my CPS, but it hasn't done it since...this was like 1000 miles ago. I am fine right?

Also, how the hell do I get the rubber bushing(?)around the steering assembly near the fire wall to quit squeaking in the cold(99 XJ)? I have covered the inside of it in copious amounts of white lithium grease to no avail. I can pull the rubber back and then it doesn't squeak, but I can hear a lot more engine noise this way.

I put WD-40 on mine about 5 years ago and it hasn't made noise since. Either I got lucky or you got a crap one.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I'm going to check out a 1998 Wrangler Sahara today and was wondering if there was anything in particular I should look for while inspecting it. The PO claims a new radiator, water pump, and air compressor as well as fresh rubber around. Pictures from inside look immaculately clean but I assume rust is a question as it's a PNW Jeep. Also, is 7k a decent price with 173k miles on it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is it lifted, have a bunch of expensive parts on it like bumpers, winch, lights?

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
Bone stock as far as I can tell, except for an aftermarket stereo.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3343690906.html is the link for the ad.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I had to guess on the options, but KBB says from a private party you can expect to pay $6,200 or so. With new tires and stuff, it doesn't seem like a horrible deal. That thing looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Rust usually isn't a problem in the PNW since we don't use salt on our roads. Being in Tukwila, it's probably been relegated to daily commuting by some yuppie its whole life. Price seems a little high for a 14 year old Wrangler, but it does look to be in great shape and the mileage is relatively low. With any luck it could have a D44 rear axle.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I went and looked at it this evening. It has a Dana 44 as far as I could tell (Bolt drain plug as opposed to rubber plug, right?) and it looked great except for a small dent on the passenger side front fender. Guess it lived the first 120,000 miles of it's life working for the Alberta Forest Service before making it's way down here. Comes with service records for that period of time which is nice. The only question I have is when under a heavy load there's a bit of audible engine ticking. That's likely just an exhaust manifold issue right? Anything more catastrophic it could be?

Ended up talking the guy down to 6k and put a deposit down on it. Going to pick it up in a few days unless there's anything else I need to worry about? Thanks again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
bolt vs rubber plug is internet bullshit and not really reliable.

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/atj11127.html this shirt is awesome

Pic from it:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

bolt vs rubber plug is internet bullshit and not really reliable.
Yeah, my Dana 44 has a rubber plug.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

PulsarD posted:

Got a nice 3.5 inch suspension upgrade for my JKU. It went from this:

to this:

It rides so much better. It is the AEV DS SC 3.5 inch suspension kit.

You need some big rear end tires, because that looks really bad. Way to much gap in those wheel wells...hella flush or gtfo.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Guru Yaekob posted:

hella flush or gtfo.

Not in this thread.

Some of us drive off road and enjoy having room for tire movement.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 21, 2012

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

commissargribb posted:

Not in this thread.

That thing hasnt seen a day of off road in its life

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah I bet that guy wouldn't know what to do without pavement under his tires.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Faerunner posted:

Console. It's a 2000 Cherokee (Were there even ones with steering wheel shift selectors? I've been in ones as early as 1990 and they've all had console shifters)

I know YJs and some MJs came with column shift automatics so.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

commissargribb posted:

XJs with the Police Package had column-shift autos too.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

commissargribb posted:

Huh, I was unaware of that, and what OneOverZero said. Interesting!

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

Guru Yaekob posted:

Them there's fighting words especially coming from a JK owner who can't twist off their radio antenna, painted their AC vents and is worried about a dent.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure i have more mud on my jeep than some of you guys. And it happened when i was pushing it in to my driveway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

y'all are funny.

... then...

Not sure how to trans-load this to another host rather than hotlink, so I'm going to link it instead of embedding. http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/sheepsyj/?action=view&current=VID_20110313_151317.mp4

Same hill as the last one.

e: the funny part is that I'm one of the less built jeeps in my club. Here's my friend Tim just about to make it up a ledge:

He built the whole thing, including gearing the diffs, himself, and finished welding the steering linkages together the night before this picture was taken, as I recall.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 22, 2012

Big_Poot
Sep 3, 2002
My daily driver WJ (2000) has suffered from the 0331 head issue.

I've got a new head from Clearwater Cylinder Heads just about ready to go on. I was just wondering if I should do anything other than a few close interval oil changes to help scrub the sludge out from the lower half of the engine? Any advice?

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

commissargribb posted:

Not in this thread.

Still looks like shithole.

brains
May 12, 2004

some fun in the mountains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-5S-8vWgag

the last one is me

my lockers were disengaged :wink:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

brains posted:

some fun in the mountains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-5S-8vWgag

the last one is me

my lockers were disengaged :wink:

ahahaha that's great. Loose sand is the worst.

PulsarD
Aug 7, 2003
Premium
Biscuit Hider

Guru Yaekob posted:

Blew out my front driveshaft on some terrain this weekend. Ive got some impressive northwest pinstriping, and if you look closely, my front fend in the after pic has scars from kinda hitting a hill.

Itll get its new tires after a bit more wear on the stock ones.

Heres the video of the driveline going "bleh":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSTynVBiAfE
rocks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxyWu-80KQM

PulsarD fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 23, 2012

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Still shopping around for Jeeps. I've had three different people say, "If you don't buy my Jeep, then I'm just going to sell it for scrap!"

Am I supposed to feel guilty and try to save your poorly maintained two-wheel-drive ZJ that you advertised as "A real off-road monster" ?
:wtc:

Also, an update from my own research on the removal of the front driveshaft on the NV249 transfer case:
According to these guys, it's bad news on 93-95 models but safe-ish on 96-98 models. Preferably, the front driveshaft should never be removed, but the later model won't cook the viscous coupler like it would in the early model. This means that the VC in the 5.9L ZJ I'm looking at is much less likely to be hosed.
:toot:

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 24, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Still looks like shithole.

yeah but there's a difference between getting tires that fit and getting tires eliminating wheel space so that there's no room for flex.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

So, while trying to run a power cable my amp yesterday (don't even get me started, went from an XJ that had a nice, lovely little grommet already there for me to use to a jammed up engine bay that I don't know my way around yet), I decided to get under the car to see if I could find a grommet lower on the firewall.

Didn't see anything, but what I DID find is what I believe to be the culprit of my piddles on the parking lot.

What? That's not a high pressure hose connecting the power steering reservoir to the fan!

So yeah, think this is the issue or could the pump or reservoir be leaking too or instead?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

could be the issue, check it with the engine running to see where the leak is coming from.

Yes, WJs run the fan with the power steering pump. Pretty strange isn't it?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Couldn't detect any leakage while running, seems to be a slow seep. Surely that's not the Chrysler approved hose? :shrug:

The power steering is a bit noisy to begin with, but I only have experience with XJs so I don't know if it's a WJ issue solely or something going wrong.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Beep beep, I just bought a motherfucking Jeep! And it survived the 130 mile drive home!

The front driveshaft looks like the CV joint failed, so I *should* be able to salvage the shaft itself and just rebuild the joint. Tires are getting old, so I should buy new ones before too long. And I make it a policy to never trust my brakes to the previous owner, so I'll be doing a brake job this week. Other than that it's all minor poo poo to tinker with. It wouldn't be a used Jeep if it didn't come with a list of weekend projects for the next few months, though.

I was really hesitant to buy a ZJ, but the 5.9L V8 runs strong and has some serious power; I couldn't stop giggling every time I had to accelerate to pass somebody on the freeway. It drinks gas, but that was expected. And there is so much goddamn room inside. We routinely do 3 or 4 person camping trips in addition to my fieldwork, so I hope to put the cargo room to good use. At the moment, the back is full of spare parts and accessories the previous owner threw in since he didn't need them anymore (including my driveshaft...)

Not going to post pics until I scrape off the douchebag rage-comic decals-- I have no idea what the hell the PO was thinking.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 27, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

nice! Yeah, the 5.9s are pretty awesome. Try to take good care of the transmission... put the right fluid in it, make sure the bands are adjusted if it needs it, and don't go over on the service intervals.

Brakes might be fine, what I'd really do is check e-brake function, as well as tracing the hydraulic lines. I've never had problems with previous-owner installed brake wear parts, but I've had several rusted hardlines pop on me, and found compression fittings on the lines on one jeep I bought.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Dodged the oncoming rainy/snowy weather today and did the pre-winter checks. Coolant definitely seems to be the Chrysler approved dirty orange stuff and protects down to -43.

Also pumped hydraulic fluid into the lower doors and into the rockers. There is a little rust blooming on the drivers side that'll have to get taken care of come spring.

Unfortunately, my exhaust manifold is leaking pretty bad. It's the drivers side, are there any options for aftermarket here, is custom fab work possible, or is stock the only way to go?

I've noticed my gas mileage kinda..sucks. I have a gas mileage app for my Blackberry so I can chart it for definite, but I'm showing about 17.7 average, and I had about 66 miles left, or just a shade less than half a tank.

But I can throw good money down that when I go out in the morning, it'll say something at least 10 miles less than what it read when I parked. Now, I don't think it's leaking fuel anywhere, fuel filter and lines seem solid and no obvious dark spots. Am I just jumping at shadows here and this is normal? I freaked at first when I didn't see the little metal flap on the fuel filler neck, but apparently that's a thing on newer vehicles.

And as far as I know nobody is siphoning my gas, so how am I losing a quarter to half a gallon each time I park? Is that computer THAT off?

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
Do you actually know that you're losing the gas, or just going off the gauge? I think the WJ uses a float to detect fuel level, so it's not always going to be 100% perfect, and I can see it being quite a bit off if you park on any sort of hill. Beyond that, I've noticed that the gas gauge on my TJ drops quicker on the second half of the tank than on the first half.

Completely unrelated, would anyone happen to know the size of the bolts and nuts on the exhaust pipes just above the cats ('05 TJ)? I need to tighten mine, but can't get a decent angle on the bolts and I'm not sure I'm using the right size wrench...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tadhg posted:

Beep beep, I just bought a motherfucking Jeep! And it survived the 130 mile drive home!

The front driveshaft looks like the CV joint failed, so I *should* be able to salvage the shaft itself and just rebuild the joint. Tires are getting old, so I should buy new ones before too long. And I make it a policy to never trust my brakes to the previous owner, so I'll be doing a brake job this week. Other than that it's all minor poo poo to tinker with. It wouldn't be a used Jeep if it didn't come with a list of weekend projects for the next few months, though.

I was really hesitant to buy a ZJ, but the 5.9L V8 runs strong and has some serious power; I couldn't stop giggling every time I had to accelerate to pass somebody on the freeway. It drinks gas, but that was expected. And there is so much goddamn room inside. We routinely do 3 or 4 person camping trips in addition to my fieldwork, so I hope to put the cargo room to good use. At the moment, the back is full of spare parts and accessories the previous owner threw in since he didn't need them anymore (including my driveshaft...)

How the gently caress did he break a driveshaft? That takes some pretty serious effort.

Anyways, your VC might be hosed anyways, so budget for a new transfer case if that is the problem. If it is, and you can get by, seeing how its hosed, you can get around with 2WD.

Be loving aware it can and will roll in park. The t-case acts just like an axle, and can roll, so make sure you set the parking break

Enjoy your new ride! The 360 is a good motor for the most part, I don't recall any big issues with them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How the gently caress did he break a driveshaft? That takes some pretty serious effort.

Not if it's dented enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

No pics to go with it, but the driveshaft itself looks near pristine (minus aged discoloration.) The CV joint on the end is torn off and missing bearings, but it looks like a replacement CV is "only" $150-$250. Much better than the whole driveshaft, anyway.

And yeah, I'm still worried about the transfer case. I'm taking the Jeep into a local 4x4 mechanic to have them reinstall the driveshaft and check out the transfer case. I'd rather somebody with more experience than I do in this area look it over, as it's kind of important.

In the meantime, I've thrown a new battery in, replaced a few fuses, oiled up some sticky latches, scraped off douchebag decals, and cleaned accumulated trash out of the nooks and crannies. Once my wallet takes the (potentially big) hit from the driveshaft and potential transfer case, then I'm going shopping for new tires.