Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Writer Cath posted:

But then your basket would be filled with live bees.

Beads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
They don't allow you to have bees in here.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Frot Lesnar's not on board.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Halloween Wars was pretty good this week. Each of the big pieces the teams made were really impressive.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Adding to this, I distinctly remember an episode where one of the mandatory ingredients was some kind of pork product when one of the contestants was Islamic, and they've given shellfish to people with allergies more than once. It's hard to tell whether the producers are dicks or if they just don't bother to do the most basic research.

No, the best one was an episode of Cupcake Wars. One team explained how their whole business model was making cupcakes with alcohol in them, and I wish I could remember their name, because it was related to their theme.

So, the "client" that week was Girl Scouts. They explained that they understood that their client was the Girl Scouts, but that they were brought on and should stick with their business theme, but that they'd cook off the alcohol and leave the flavor.

Of course, first round they were completely chastised for using alcohol flavors and booted. They should have just started that episode with three teams, it would have been just as fair.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

criscodisco posted:

No, the best one was an episode of Cupcake Wars. One team explained how their whole business model was making cupcakes with alcohol in them, and I wish I could remember their name, because it was related to their theme.

PubCakes

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So I had an episode of Iron Chef America on my DVR and in it the challenger in her profile talked about how Bobby Flay was her mentor. She talked about how she got her first real cooking job at Messa Grill and then went onto another one of his restaurants for many years and loved it. She spent more time talking about Flay than she did herself really.

She then of course challenged Garces.

I then turned off the episode and deleted it from my DVR.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

axleblaze posted:

So I had an episode of Iron Chef America on my DVR and in it the challenger in her profile talked about how Bobby Flay was her mentor. She talked about how she got her first real cooking job at Messa Grill and then went onto another one of his restaurants for many years and loved it. She spent more time talking about Flay than she did herself really.

She then of course challenged Garces.

I then turned off the episode and deleted it from my DVR.

The challenger's "selection" is made well in advance of the taping date, and it generally comes down to who's available at any given time -- e.g., Symon will fly out to the studio in New York and tape several battles over the course of a few days. The challenger's actual control over whom they battle is minimal.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I highly recommend Create TV. It has shows featuring real chefs doing cheffy things. Jacques Pepin, Ming Tsai, Hubert Keller, and Jon Besh to name a few. I have turned Food Network and The Cooking Channel off completely for Create...

I couldn't agree more. At least in my local market, I also get Rick Bayless, the whitest mexican on TV as part of the weekend lineup. As creepy as I find him, I still watch because his style gives my wife and I some good ideas. But then again, I liked Jeff Smith before finding out about his "hobby."

ThermoPhysical posted:

Lydia Bastianich is pretty awesome though. The abosulte best Italian cook I've seen on television.

Aye, she is a fantastic cook even know there is a lot of stuff of hers I can't eat. She reminds me of one of my italian friend's mom, the one that would spend all Sunday working on the family meal Sunday night. I felt like royalty the couple of times I was invited over for dinner.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife and I were in San Antonio for the weekend and since we have a guilty pleasure of restaurant impossible, we decided to try out mama lee's soul food.

It was pretty loving good! We had the fried chicken and the meatloaf with Mac and cheese and mashed potatoes and you could tell they were still making everything to order, as it was dead in there (Saturday at noon) and the waitress told us it would be about 15 minutes for the food -it took twenty but it definitely seemed fresh.

The place still looks nice but you can tell they put some poo poo in that didn't make sense, like a huge bar that I don't think anyone uses because they don't sell alcohol. The wine glasses just chill there doing nothing. Some of the overhead ventilation was already getting dirty in there and a door leading outside had tons of scuff marks.

Still, not bad and only 16 bucks for the two of us for lunch, plus a military discount!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Wait is this Taverns, Lounges and Lushes with Sandra Lee a real thing? I'd watch the hell out of Aunt Sandy getting plastered across all 50 glorious states.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

angerbrat posted:

Wait is this Taverns, Lounges and Lushes with Sandra Lee a real thing? I'd watch the hell out of Aunt Sandy getting plastered across all 50 glorious states.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/sandra-lees-taverns-lounges-clubs/index.html

Yes it is a real thing.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It's real and we're all going to loving watch it, OK?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
drat my cable package for not including Cooking Channel :argh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bring on the .gifs!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Christopher Irvine posted:

drat my cable package for not including Cooking Channel :argh:

Alas, I'm in the same boat. I don't think Cooking Channel puts up any of their stuff on Hulu or something either.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Bring on the .gifs!

God, I hope so, I'd love to have one with Sandra Lush boozing it up Don Draper style.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

If I don't get a gif of Sandy with vomit dribbling from her chin while snot drips from her nose than I hate these producers.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CrushedWill posted:

I couldn't agree more. At least in my local market, I also get Rick Bayless, the whitest mexican on TV as part of the weekend lineup. As creepy as I find him, I still watch because his style gives my wife and I some good ideas. But then again, I liked Jeff Smith before finding out about his "hobby."

Rick Bayless...oh man. He's got Mexico: One Plate at A Time on Live Well Network here as well as PBS Create and he's a pretty good chef and, honestly, out of all the people on TV, if I wanted authentic Mexican food, I'd go for something he made. But he is kind of creepy. I don't know if it's his whispering voice but it's almost as if he really REALLY likes Mexican food a bit TOO much. I love how he cooks with his daughter a lot (but you never hear much about his wife, I think he's still married though). Oh well, he's a pretty good cook so it's cool.

I had no idea who Jeff Smith was until I Googled. That sounds pretty odd.

Has anyone heard of Bruce Aidells' cooking show "Good Cookin' with Bruce Aidells"? It shows on Live Well Network too (well it used to). He seems to be a good friend with Rick Bayless and even had him on his show once. I'm not sure where it went after they got two new cooking shows but it wasn't a bad show. He had Martin Yan on once making lettuce cups.

I don't mean to turn the thread into the Live Well Network thread (is there even one of those?) but ever since I stopped watching cable and Food Network, I've turned to LWN and PBS Create for my food shows. They're not that bad...though they do have one "Food Network-esque" show called "My Family Recipe Rocks" with Joey Fatone. He basically goes around peoples houses and helps them cook their family's signature dish.

There's also Chris Koetke (who apparently is the associate dean of Kendall College in Chicago), Ryan Scott, Kary Osmond, and Rick Bayless too. I guess you can say Joey Fatone but...ehh. He's not really there to be a chef or cook...mostly just annoy people who are trying to cook. After Ryan and Kary got their respective shows (Food Rush and Best Recipes Ever), Bruce Aidells got booted apparently and I don't know what's going on with that.

So yah, if anyone's sick of FN or Cooking Channel, I guess Live Well Network is an okay place.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It doesn't really have much to do with his show but I recently read this fairly interesting article about/by Andrew Zimmern.

Apparently he used to be a pretty hardcore addict, doing coke, heroin, pills, and drinking vodka by the cheap handle all the while squatting with homeless people in New York while he was an executive chef. Now he's sober and fairly Christian.

I know it's not uncommon within the industry, but I wouldn't have guessed that Zimmern of all people was at one point a junky.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Y Kant Ozma Boo posted:

Les Halles closed in '08 and I have no idea when he was last actually listed as the executive chef there. The point being, Bourdain's well-known not for his stint at Les Halles but specifically because of his writing and travel shows.

Actually, the Les Halles he worked at, the flagship one in New York City is still open. It was the miami and washington sattelites that closed.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I didn't know that! Good to know.

And now, on Halloween Chopped, NOT ONLY IS THE CHICKEN BLACK! BUT! IT STILL HAS ITS HEAD AND FEET ON IT!

oh my god BLACK CHICKEN!? THIS IS UNHEARD OF

send help

Silkies are really cute chickens, though I think chickens are cute in general (and still eat them anyway).

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

ThermoPhysical posted:

But does Create still have Steven Raichlen? I can't stand him at all.

Lydia Bastianich is pretty awesome though. The abosulte best Italian cook I've seen on television.

Well, yes and no. He was on nightly with BBQU and Primal Grill but they've ended it for now. My only guess is because the grilling season is "over." :rollseyes:

I am so glad that Sweet Genius is back.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would like all of you to know that I am at a dinner party in Disney World, Robert Irvine is here, and when I met him I restrained myself from asking him how cooking for the president was, because the Internet has not completely tainted me yet.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Tell us more about this dinner party when you get home and are no longer the nerd posting from a dinner party! ;)

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Y Kant Ozma Boo posted:

I didn't know that! Good to know.

And now, on Halloween Chopped, NOT ONLY IS THE CHICKEN BLACK! BUT! IT STILL HAS ITS HEAD AND FEET ON IT!

oh my god BLACK CHICKEN!? THIS IS UNHEARD OF

send help

Silkies are really cute chickens, though I think chickens are cute in general (and still eat them anyway).

I'm so glad she didn't win. I thought she was going to get there simply by having someone else screw up worse in each round.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Well, yes and no. He was on nightly with BBQU and Primal Grill but they've ended it for now. My only guess is because the grilling season is "over." :rollseyes:

I am so glad that Sweet Genius is back.

I was happy that the girl with zombie tattooed on her knuckles won. One of the only bad things about Sweet Genius is when a contestant who managed to avoid elimination edges out a competitor who has been consistently solid.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I grill and smoke a great deal. I resent the fact that they have a dude leading the BBQ cooking segments that looks like a child molester. As annoying as Flay was with his older BBQ shows, it doesn't come close in annoyance factor to me as "Creepy Uncle" Stephen.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Y Kant Ozma Boo posted:

Tell us more about this dinner party when you get home and are no longer the nerd posting from a dinner party! ;)

Well, right now it's Disney's Food and Wine Festival at Epcot, which means they put a bunch of tiny food booths all around the World Showcase each from a different country (and not just the countries in the Showcase, they have places like Singapore, Ireland, Hawaii, and lots of beer, wine, and liquor everywhere), and this lasts for a couple of months. During this time they bring in chefs from all over the country to do cooking demonstrations for small crowds, and they bring in some pretty big names. Irvine is one, Andrew Zimmern, Gale Gand, one of the Voltaggios, and my personal favorites, the Hearty Boys. On some Saturdays, they host a Party for the Senses, which you pay a butt-load of money to get into, but they have a combination of chefs that did demonstrations that week, and chefs from around the Resort come and make really fancy food, and lots of wineries come in to give out their wine, and they had the Cirque du Soleil people from Downtown Disney come in and do a few little bits, and it's all very fun. My family managed to snag a table next to a distillery that brought great margaritas made with "moonshine whiskey", which I was enjoying all night.

Basically Disney World is awesome and a couple months a year you can go there and get schwasted on delicious food and drink, but you're probably gonna pay out the rear end for it (my parents have a Disney Visa, which means every dollar we spend means a fraction of a cent more to spend in Disney World. My mom is just a wee bit obsessed, but there are no complaints here).

edit: This was posted from the safety of a laptop in my swanky DVC hotel suite, not from the dinner party. I just had to share my Irvine Encounter with y'all stat.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Did I have some kind of dream last night, or did I see this thing called Blind Dinner Party with Margaret Cho? Did anyone else see this?

It was intriguing in a way, but underwhelming. For a half hour show, it felt really stretched out for time, but also really heavily edited down. Like, there seemed to be more commercials during the show, but the actual content of the show seemed like it didn't come together very well.

And I have absolutely zero idea why this was on Food Network. I don't think they even touched the food at all over the course of the show.

BUT I think a concept like this could lend itself to some interesting stuff and be a lot of fun, and not just about getting people together and stirring poo poo up around a dinner table. Too bad it was probably just a throwaway failed pilot.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Finally catching up on Tuesday's Chopped. Ugh, shut up about your dad. If he were that great, he wouldn't have died.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jamesman posted:

Did I have some kind of dream last night, or did I see this thing called Blind Dinner Party with Margaret Cho? Did anyone else see this?

I started watching because it sounded neat but didn't make it more than 10 minutes because yes, it seemed like it was really stretched out. I might try again with it but I dunno.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Finally catching up on Tuesday's Chopped. Ugh, shut up about your dad. If he were that great, he wouldn't have died.

:laffo: If I go on chopped no matter how good my food was I would lose if I didn't have some aunt suffering from crotch rot or a distant relative who didn't have clean water and was forced to drink his own urine.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think my least favorite Chopped contestant ever was the woman who planned to give the prize money to some cancer charity. She kept saying things like "I HAVE TO WIN THIS BECAUSE LIVES ARE ON THE LINE"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Timett posted:

I think my least favorite Chopped contestant ever was the woman who planned to give the prize money to some cancer charity. She kept saying things like "I HAVE TO WIN THIS BECAUSE LIVES ARE ON THE LINE"
And despite all that, she couldn't focus enough to get past the second round. Guess those lives weren't that important to you, were they? :colbert:

Sometimes it feels like Chopped is just a contest to guess which sob story will win. Is it the guy with a dead dad who taught him to love cooking? The person who really needs that $10,000 to keep their restaurant afloat? The single mother with children to support? The recent immigrant who needs to make their home country proud? The person who came from nothing and used cooking to break out of poverty? Or will the smug chef who doesn't really have any reason to win other than "I just want to be the best chef here" take an upset victory?

Although I mostly watch Chopped to guess who will win, so it's not an unentertaining sob story contest. :allears:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

The sob stories are annoying but I always have the sense that they're extracted from the contestants, not really offered willingly. They always ask why people are competing or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who seem to be "constantly" discussing it are just asked questions over and over about personal struggles.

It's still tedious, though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Y Kant Ozma Boo posted:

The sob stories are annoying but I always have the sense that they're extracted from the contestants, not really offered willingly. They always ask why people are competing or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who seem to be "constantly" discussing it are just asked questions over and over about personal struggles.

Remember that one weirdly smiling white-haired executive from those next food network star shows? I bet it's him, or a producer underling of him. You could literally see him start salivating whenever someone mentioned a dead family member.

Reality TV is all fake. Considering the regularity with which it comes up, it's almost certainly pulled out of them in initial interviews and then they're constantly asked about it so the answers can be stitched together to seem like spontaneous admissions about how important this is for their dead mom/dad.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Cream_Filling posted:

Remember that one weirdly smiling white-haired executive from those next food network star shows? I bet it's him, or a producer underling of him. You could literally see him start salivating whenever someone mentioned a dead family member.

Bob Tuschman is creepy, yes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Y Kant Ozma Boo posted:

I remember this one lady who was loving insane who kept using her dead sister as an excuse. Like, it didn't even come up at all until the judges had something negative to say about her dish, and then every time after that it was like "I guess I'm not on top of my game because MY SISTER IS DEAD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

CrushedWill posted:

I grill and smoke a great deal. I resent the fact that they have a dude leading the BBQ cooking segments that looks like a child molester. As annoying as Flay was with his older BBQ shows, it doesn't come close in annoyance factor to me as "Creepy Uncle" Stephen.

He looks awfully weird, that is for sure, but his grilling techniques are on point. The only thing that irritates me is he, like all other shows with grills, is forced to schill for Weber. When they use a grill that isn't Weber they have to use a general term to describe it.

That is just me with my anti-Weber hate I guess though.

The Margaret Cho show is a good idea but gently caress I turned it off after seeing the stereotypes. They didn't even try to hide how faked it is.

• Locked thread