Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Kenishi posted:

I can't recall if I have ever asked this here or on another thread before but it continues to bug me.

Are there any services out there that allow you to pay annually, say something like $1,000-$5,000 and get access to a large number of electronic research journals? Such as stuff from Elsevier, Springer, Standford Press, MIT Press, etc.

Sent you a PM.

You'll be hard pressed to find a quality site that is targeted to individuals. The company I work for tried to do a business model geared toward individuals when they were first founded, and the market just isn't there. There are literally tens of people who are interested in something like you are describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

In a roundabout way, taking a class as a non-degree seeking student will likely work, depending on your local university's policies. You may also be able to simply pay for a library account/access that will also get you journal access. However, you may need to be on a campus network or VPN in, so be sure you check before you pay.
This is an option I've considered but its pretty annoying to do unfortunately. Are there many libraries that have systems like that?

vanessa posted:

Sent you a PM.

You'll be hard pressed to find a quality site that is targeted to individuals. The company I work for tried to do a business model geared toward individuals when they were first founded, and the market just isn't there. There are literally tens of people who are interested in something like you are describing.

This is kind of disappointing to hear because it was a business idea me and a friend had as well. But after a bit of emailing and research, we figured it probably wasn't profitable considering what the publishers would charge us for access as an organization.

Kenishi fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 26, 2012

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Does someone remember the pdf that was posted (perhaps in this thread) about reading comprehension for academic/professional reading? Google gets me a bunch of stuff but I'm looking for a particular guide.

I believe it was PDF, probably 8-12 pages, maybe put out by a university, and talked about reading 3-4 times at different speeds/levels of detail.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

uwaeve posted:

Does someone remember the pdf that was posted (perhaps in this thread) about reading comprehension for academic/professional reading? Google gets me a bunch of stuff but I'm looking for a particular guide.

I believe it was PDF, probably 8-12 pages, maybe put out by a university, and talked about reading 3-4 times at different speeds/levels of detail.

http://pne.people.si.umich.edu/PDF/howtoread.pdf

Is it this?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Perfect, that's it. Thanks!

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Is there some kind of special significance of a single girl offering to cook for a single man in China? Does it represent something particularly important in their culture, more than it would in the west?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

uwaeve posted:

reading comprehension for academic/professional reading?

For future reference, How to Read a Book is also in the Science, Academics and Languages Online Resource Thread.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there a quote about how love is the ultimate form of light? The logic being that everything in our universe exists because of energy, so the light from our Sun, after billions of years of evolution, culminates (currently) to human beings and love. On the Joe Rogan Experience, Alex Grey mentioned this quote (definitely not verbatim) to Albert Hoffman, but I can't find anything on it related to Hoffman. It might be someone else's quote.

simokon
Nov 6, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Is there a good site that has side by side comparisons of policy stances for political candidates, especially for the less talked races for things like house seats or governorships.

smartvoter.org (not .com) sometimes has good information, if the candidates opt to participate. Also seconding using the local paper, especially for local races that nobody outside your district cares about.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I have no idea what to get my almost six year old daughter for her birthday. She's a pretty artsy kid and loves to draw, color, and build with blocks. I'm thinking something that she can put together or sculpt would be pretty fun. Lego kits are out because of her two year old sister.

I'm also getting her Brave because she loves all the Pixar movies, but it seems lame just getting a movie for her birthday.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

^^^
You could get her a nice set of Prismacolors, I loved those when I was a kid. The ones that turn into watercolors when you add water were pretty fun.

I could have sworn there was a word "ribbet," which according to me was something related to soldering two pieces of metal together, like a dot or a little bolt maybe. Am I completely making this up? I can't find it in the dictionary or any similar words that mean what I think.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chernabog posted:

I could have sworn there was a word "ribbet," which according to me was something related to soldering two pieces of metal together, like a dot or a little bolt maybe. Am I completely making this up? I can't find it in the dictionary or any similar words that mean what I think.

Rivet, not ribbet.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dudebro posted:

Is there a quote about how love is the ultimate form of light? The logic being that everything in our universe exists because of energy, so the light from our Sun, after billions of years of evolution, culminates (currently) to human beings and love. On the Joe Rogan Experience, Alex Grey mentioned this quote (definitely not verbatim) to Albert Hoffman, but I can't find anything on it related to Hoffman. It might be someone else's quote.
That basic concept is pretty common in 60's and 70's hippy metaphysics based on a misunderstanding or at least gross oversimplification of quantum mechanics. See: Timothy Leary (especially "Exo-psychology,") Alan Watts ("Does it Matter,") Fritjof Capra ("Tao of Physics,") etc. Although he's known to have intermingled (and maybe tripped) with that "group," the only reference I'm aware of with Hoffman mentioning something along those lines is in an interview with Stanislaus Grof:

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v11n2/grofhofmann.html

Some other links that might be relevant:
http://www.starlarvae.org/Star_Larvae_Addendum_Exo-Psychology_Revisited.html
http://blog.gaiam.com/quotes/authors/alan-watts/59125
http://liology.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/wiggles-in-the-stream-of-time-li-and-ch%E2%80%99i/

A question for you Dudebro, if I may: you come up with so many different, interesting, and unusual questions; what's up with that? Are they all somehow related in a way I can't figure out? Are you doing some kind of integrative research project? Is it for fun and you're just curious about a bunch of stuff? Where do all these wildly varying topics come from? Do they spawn from other reading or discussions or what?

I hope I'm not out of line, and feel free to answer or not as much as you like, but clicking the ? under your name in this thread is a wild ride across a ton of interesting topics and it's made me curious.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

Rivet, not ribbet.

Oh yeah, that's it. English is not my first language :D

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

Is there a good site that has side by side comparisons of policy stances for political candidates, especially for the less talked races for things like house seats or governorships.

I'd also like to recommend http://ballotpedia.org . They have tons of props and local stuff, but they also do a good breakdown on Senate and House members, listing voting records, salary, contributions, stuff like that. Their navigation can be tough but if you know your candidates just do a search.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
What is that word that describes why we as humans like the steady rhythm of drums so much? It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't can't think of it.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

randyest posted:

A question for you Dudebro, if I may: you come up with so many different, interesting, and unusual questions; what's up with that? Are they all somehow related in a way I can't figure out? Are you doing some kind of integrative research project? Is it for fun and you're just curious about a bunch of stuff? Where do all these wildly varying topics come from? Do they spawn from other reading or discussions or what?

I hope I'm not out of line, and feel free to answer or not as much as you like, but clicking the ? under your name in this thread is a wild ride across a ton of interesting topics and it's made me curious.

I'm flattered, but I don't think the questions I ask are that interesting. My last question was about my Halloween costume. I'm just curious about a bunch of stuff, but I never really get too deep into anything. I tend to have phases of interest in whatever catches my fancy. I guess I just use the internet a lot and listen to podcasts a lot (lately it's been only 2-3 different ones). Joe Rogan talks about a lot of stuff but this was my first question that came out of listening to him.

I still like the idea of that quote though. In the current state of human existence, I don't think it's that far off. Love integrates a large variety of factors and it took a lot of time to get here.

Anyway, that was a really interesting conversation with Alex Grey, particularly the parts about religion and how it should be a part of everyone's lives, but not religion as we currently know it. We're in a huge block right now because religion is not evolving with science and it really should be. I hadn't really thought about the idea of science and religion being a balancing of ideas rather than only one is right.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What's the procedure if an ambulance or fire truck, speeding along on its way to an emergency, gets into a fender bender? Nothing serious, let's say it just clips someone's bumper while making a turn. Presumably they don't stop and exchange insurance information, so how do all the involved parties all find each other afterward?

e: To clarify, no, this didn't happen to me. I just got to wondering about it today after seeing an ambulance squeeze through a barely-big-enough gap between cars.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Powered Descent posted:

What's the procedure if an ambulance or fire truck, speeding along on its way to an emergency, gets into a fender bender? Nothing serious, let's say it just clips someone's bumper while making a turn. Presumably they don't stop and exchange insurance information, so how do all the involved parties all find each other afterward?

This happened to a friend of mine a while back. The ambulance scratched his car pretty badly but couldn't stop because it was transporting someone. He was quickly told to pull over/find a safe place and that they would send someone. A few minutes later the police showed up to take his information.

This details everything pretty well. If possible send another vehicle to take over, if not possible just continue on.

Silas the Mariner posted:

What is that word that describes why we as humans like the steady rhythm of drums so much? It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't can't think of it.

Beat induction?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm alphabetizing my book shelf, but am I right in thinking that le Carré goes under C rather than L?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TheGame posted:

This happened to a friend of mine a while back. The ambulance scratched his car pretty badly but couldn't stop because it was transporting someone. He was quickly told to pull over/find a safe place and that they would send someone. A few minutes later the police showed up to take his information.

This details everything pretty well. If possible send another vehicle to take over, if not possible just continue on.

That makes a bunch of sense. Thanks for the info! :tipshat:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm alphabetizing my book shelf, but am I right in thinking that le Carré goes under C rather than L?

It's your bookshelf; alphabetize it the way that makes most sense to you. But it is most common to ignore things like articles (e.g. "the", "le") when alphabetizing.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

hellopticor posted:

It's your bookshelf; alphabetize it the way that makes most sense to you. But it is most common to ignore things like articles (e.g. "the", "le") when alphabetizing.
It's figuring out where L. Sprague de Camp goes that drives me nuts.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Chicago Manual of Style Online says:

quote:

In a work intended for a general audience—where readers are likely to think of these titles with their articles (La Cage, Les Miz)—it is acceptable to alphabetize under the article. But in a more specialized work, or in a work intended for readers who are likely to be well-versed in the languages of any foreign titles mentioned in the text, it is usually better to ignore the articles that begin titles (in English and in other languages) when alphabetizing (see 16.48, 16.51, 16.52 for details). If you choose the latter route and your list is a long one, you might consider cross-referencing.

Any guests browsing your bookshelf for an English language book are likely to be looking for their cynical British spy novels amongst the Ls if that's what matters to you.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Does anyone know what the flat bit on the right side is for, if anything? Some weird special bottle opener?

vv Oh, figured it'd be something silly like that.

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 28, 2012

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Kolodny posted:

Does anyone know what the flat bit on the right side is for, if anything? Some weird special bottle opener?

Its to help lift the poptabs on soda cans so you don't have to use your fingernails. Just slide it bottle-opener side up under the tab.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Is "Sol" pronounced the same as "Soul?"

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
If you're referring to the sun it's the same as "Saul." If its the musical term, it's the same as "soul."

Also, dictionaries and wikipedia have pronunciation keys for this-check 'em out next time.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

El_Elegante posted:

If you're referring to the sun it's the same as "Saul." If its the musical term, it's the same as "soul."

Also, dictionaries and wikipedia have pronunciation keys for this-check 'em out next time.

Dictionaries suggest that if Lance Streetman's dialect pronounces cot and caught differently, then "it's the same as 'Saul'" is wrong for them. If you're referring to the sun it's got the vowel in "cot" between the the s and the l sounds, no matter what your dialect (within reason).

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Neat! Which dictionary had differin pronunciations for cot and caught? I only consulted merriam-Webster and dictionary.com, but couldn't find anything on that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

El_Elegante posted:

Neat! Which dictionary had differin pronunciations for cot and caught? I only consulted merriam-Webster and dictionary.com, but couldn't find anything on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_low_back_vowels#Cot.E2.80.93caught_merger

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

El_Elegante posted:

Dictionary.com does have different pronunciations for them though. :confused:

dictionary.com posted:

cot [kot] /kɒt/
caught [kawt] /kɔt/

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

So the Honda Del Sol...

The Spanish name del Sol translates to of the sun, and refers to the car's opening roof.

...is pronounced Del Sall/Saul and not Del Sole?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SkunkDuster posted:

So the Honda Del Sol...

The Spanish name del Sol translates to of the sun, and refers to the car's opening roof.

Well, for that you'd want a Spanish dictionary rather than an English one, because it's a Spanish word. You can always just pronounce it however they do in the advertising though (which seems to be "sole" from what I could easily find on YouTube).

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Kind of a small question.

What's the best route towards starting a magazine/news style website that you eventually hope to get off of the ground? Me and a group of about 6 friends are starting a media-ish website (games/tv/film/music) - pretty much just articles, interviews, reviews - the works. We're good on content and writers, but none of us have the slightest clue on the web development side.

Our webmaster/dev has seemingly fell off of a cliff, so I'm debating if it's even worth the money to try to pick another one up to start something form scratch, or just fiddle around myself with something like Wordpress (which I have a sports blog on) or Squarespace. It's not like we want a crazy website, just something simple and clean (best example of the look would be like Pitchfork).

So yeah, I just need advice/help with that. I don't know if it deserved its own thread, and I can't think of anywhere else to ask this. Thanks!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

SkunkDuster posted:

So the Honda Del Sol...

In spanish, sol is pronounced with a sound I don't think is found in English. You may recognize it anyway: it rhymes with the "goooooollllllll" call. Here's me saying it:

http://tindeck.com/listen/ecyz

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Has it ever been calculated how much money went into developing the computer? I'm thinking big picture here. From the development of the cathode ray tube till IBMs first home computer.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I constantly see the advertisement telling me what five foods not to eat. I clicked it once and it didn't tell me immediately. What are they?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kenishi posted:

Has it ever been calculated how much money went into developing the computer? I'm thinking big picture here. From the development of the cathode ray tube till IBMs first home computer.

It would probably be trillions if you account for inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Abel Wingnut posted:

I constantly see the advertisement telling me what five foods not to eat. I clicked it once and it didn't tell me immediately. What are they?

Roadkill, tiger penis, long pig, anything found in your lint trap and car tyres.