Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mod sassinator posted:

I'd like to see a special that's just James working on old cars. Maybe a special episode of Wheeler Dealer where James tells crackin' boy to piss off and him and Ed just work on cars.

I would pay to see that. I like WD, but Mike is a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

I'd like to see a special that's just James working on old cars. Maybe a special episode of Wheeler Dealer where James tells crackin' boy to piss off and him and Ed just work on cars.

:allears:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Data Graham posted:

Unfortunately the specials without Clarkson are usually pretty awful. Remember that "post-apocalyptic" one?

No, which one was that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hammond and May both picked cars they would drive if it were the last car ever or something

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Two Finger posted:

No, which one was that?

Top Gear: Apocalypse. Released a couple years ago..complete garbage.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Apocalypse had James driving a Ferrari F40 though, worth watching at least that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mr. May and Mr. Clarkson will be out on Dee-Vee-Dee in November, trying to find the worst car.... In the world! (while also ragging on each other's cars)

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2012/10/25/video-highlights-from-the-brand-new-top-gear-dvd-the-worst-car-in-the-history-of-the-world/

I really hope this turns out like a full-length version of their bit on communistical cars. It was one of my favorite bits of TG ever, and there's no Hammond!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That actually looks pretty entertaining.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

KozmoNaut posted:

I really hope this turns out like a full-length version of their bit on communistical cars. It was one of my favorite bits of TG ever, and there's no Hammond!

Or their Mercedes vs. Rolls Royce bit, with the quarter-mile car push and Das Horn.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"James, there's been a bit of an accident with your car."

Holy poo poo I am buying that.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I liked the Dacia Sandero; it was honest and simple and refreshing. And now they've gone and ruined it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Holy poo poo I am buying that.

Pissed myself when I saw that, great to see they've at least got something coming out this year, can't wait to see it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okan170 posted:

I liked the Dacia Sandero; it was honest and simple and refreshing. And now they've gone and ruined it.

Nah, that was James' Fiat Panda. They ruined the Sandero they gave him in the episode where they went to Romania. He never even got to drive it more than a few minutes.

Holy poo poo, Jeremy's actually going to say some negative things about the Ferrari 458? :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't worry, it's the 458 Spyder. This actually looks really good.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Don't worry, it's the 458 Spyder. This actually looks really good.

All the chemistry of James and Jeremy shooting the poo poo without hamster.

:dance:gently caress ya:dance:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Data Graham posted:

Nah, that was James' Fiat Panda. They ruined the Sandero they gave him in the episode where they went to Romania. He never even got to drive it more than a few minutes.

Yeah, it was kind of sad because he seemed to be really pissed no matter if that whole scene was set up or not.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Holy poo poo, Jeremy's actually going to say some negative things about the Ferrari 458? :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

To be fair, that was because Hammond was driving one for that challenge.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

To be fair, that was because Hammond was driving one for that challenge.
It was actually James' car, Hammond had the (drumroll) Porsche. Before I cropped it he was on the right side with a different fiery 458 shirt and mug :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Eh, I knew it was one of them.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Wheeler Dealers is my favorite auto show now. I could watch car restorations all day. I just wish there were more shows like it. Graveyard Cars sounded great on paper but the show sucks. They hardly ever mess with the cars they just stand around and argue.

Chasing Classic Cars is ok but it's all about the $$ with Wayne. Wheeler Dealers is more realistic in having cars that the average joe can own.

Sorry this wasn't meant to be a Velocity review...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Data Graham posted:

Nah, that was James' Fiat Panda.

Not really, from reading his columns, I think his is gray and it definitely has alloy wheels.

Top Gear scripted and partially fake?! Heavens no!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

jdfording posted:

Wheeler Dealers is my favorite auto show now. I could watch car restorations all day. I just wish there were more shows like it. Graveyard Cars sounded great on paper but the show sucks. They hardly ever mess with the cars they just stand around and argue.

Chasing Classic Cars is ok but it's all about the $$ with Wayne. Wheeler Dealers is more realistic in having cars that the average joe can own.

Play the Wheeler Dealers drinking game! Drink every time:

- Major faults are ignored or glossed over with lies (e.g. changing the gear linkage to cure a misfire)
- The car has clearly had major parts like the engine or gearbox swapped without mentioning it
- They buy parts from a scrapyard, but then five minutes later are buying trivial parts at dealer prices (e.g. £200 window mechanisms for a £500 Saab)
- They buy seats or interior parts in the wrong colour and then dye/paint them
- The car at the end is blatantly not the one they started with
- The person buying the car at the end is clearly a member of the production team
- Brewer tries to brush off only making <£100 profit by saying its good that it went to someone who deserved it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
That last complaint is kinda stupid though. The point of the show isn't to make money, the stated mandate is to find niche cars and keep them on the road instead of them rotting away somewhere.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Change that one to "Drink whenever Brewer is an insufferable cockney oval office" and you'll be hammered within seconds.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Change that one to "Drink whenever Brewer is an insufferable cockney oval office" and you'll be hammered within seconds.

Let's swap Edd from Wheelers with Hamster from TopGear. TopGear challenges would be hilariously one-sided adventures of James and Jeremy trying to ruin Edd's poo poo (because it's good) rather than loving with Hammond because he's Hammond.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Has it been mentioned there's a Hammond special featuring the cars of James Bond airing tonight on BBC2? Because if not, there you go. Also, it will be reaired on BBC America "on 12th November 2012 at 8:30pm".

Related: Hammond can recognize a good short joke.

jdfording posted:

Chasing Classic Cars is ok but it's all about the $$ with Wayne.
Is it bad that I root for Wayne to get ripped off every time he tries to auction a car off?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

nmfree posted:

Is it bad that I root for Wayne to get ripped off every time he tries to auction a car off?

Nope!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sockington posted:

Let's swap Edd from Wheelers with Hamster from TopGear. TopGear challenges would be hilariously one-sided adventures of James and Jeremy trying to ruin Edd's poo poo (because it's good) rather than loving with Hammond because he's Hammond.
I will never understand the hate for Hammond.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Perhaps I don't hate him because I am also short and American.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kenshin posted:

I don't hate The Hamster, it's just that he doesn't need to do anything other than TG. I've seen some of his non-TG stuff and he just doesn't have what it takes to go solo.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kenshin posted:

When a presenter is doing a by-themselves segment, I feel Hammond's fall a bit short. :rimshot:

It's not really hate, but I disliked the recent roles they scripted for him.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Clarkson is the big stupid one who has big stupid opinions for money, and he has the "it's perfect but it's crap" and "it's poo poo but I love it" angle on supercar reporting down to a repeatable science.

May gives a very solid impression that he is interested in the subject, and his quirky boringness is ok, if a bit studied.

Hammond is the weak sister because he doesn't know anything, doesn't want to learn anything, and is a crying baby who only eats chips and burgers. and is an american. And good christ is his solo stuff unwatchable. May makes a stinker now and then, but I've not seen a single Hammond thing I've wanted to see a second episode of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't watched his wine things, but I haven't been bored by anything May has done yet. He takes on boring subjects and makes them interesting with history and knowledge.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Sockington posted:

Or put Mike on Top Gear. I'd give him about half a episode before the boys decide the Vampire Jet Car bit needs another go.

"It'll be great" Clarkson says, as James just out of shot starts letting the air out of one of the tires.

Edit: You know, I don't really mind the older more sketch episodes of Wheeler Dealers where they actually did work on the car. The past season has really just been pimp my ride cheap rear end edition.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 30, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

nmfree posted:

Has it been mentioned there's a Hammond special featuring the cars of James Bond airing tonight on BBC2?
This was a fun little show. Ben Collins (former Stig) showing up was entertaining.

Also I see why the US airing is delayed, since it has minor Skyfall spoilers.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This was a fun little show. Ben Collins (former Stig) showing up was entertaining.
"Nice shirt, did you pay for that?"
"Yeah, it was on sale."

It would have been delayed anyway, because, well, :BBC:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That Top Gear Bond special wasn't too bad, I cracked up when he was driving the TV van around.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That ticked me off, I've managed to not see any trailers or anything for it yet. Luckily I fast forwarded through it quick enough to not see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Shimrod posted:

That Top Gear Bond special wasn't too bad, I cracked up when he was driving the TV van around.

That and the Ben Collins bit were kinda the highlights, the rest of it, well like someone said earlier, Hamster by himself does not make Top Gear. The shots were nice but drat, absolutely no talk of the cars beyond their historical role in the Bond movies. I guess that Skyfall preview at the end was nice but overall, one of the weakest Top Gear specials that I can think of off the top of my head.