Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Farbtoner posted:

I'm too lazy but you could totally reverse that nowadays. Have the upper one be stuff like "A supervillian wins and then realizes how empty life is without a purpose!" and the bottom one be "Uhh...we took the characters from the good movies we made a decade ago, and now they're, like, in spy movies and college movies and stuff...and there's a princess movie, I guess..."

Yeah, Pixar really messed up with Cars. It started out as a dream project of Andrew Stanton, and it turned out to be their worst film by far. But, it turned out to be wildly popular with little boys, and the merchandising was extremely profitable. I gave Cars 2 a shot because I liked that they took the movie in a different direction, but it turned out to be even worse than the first one.

The prequel to Monsters Inc, we'll see. I love the original, but it was definitely not something that needed another chapter in its story. It was a complete story to begin with, and this prequel is just unnecessary.

As for Brave, I haven't seen it yet. I just couldn't get anyone to go see it in the theatre with me. Looks like it comes out on DVD in a few weeks, so we'll see.

Who knows. Maybe the golden age of Pixar is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Kristen Wiig isn't a draw, though. She's usually the opposite.

At the time, no. Whatever she does next though, post-Bridesmaids, is going to get a lot of attention. And, a quick look at IMDB, How to Train Your Dragon 2 is on there. Expect her character to have a much meatier role in the new one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DarkSol posted:

So I have a copy of the Jodorowsky's Dune Mondo poster and I was wondering what other people do for framing these things without either a) breaking the bank or b) loving up the poster while still looking decent.

Any suggestions?

Cheapest is DIY framing supplies. If you want a step up from that, buy a premade frame, and then get a framing shop to do the mounting and matte work. I usually go the latter route, and someplace like Michaels has a good supply of frames in standard poster sizes. They sometimes even have really amazing deals, as in the case of the two Disney prints I posted earlier. They had a sale on at the time where I got the second frame completely free.

As cool and limited as Mondo prints are, there's no real sense in going the full custom framing route. A nice custom frame with mattes and archival glass can run you around $300 for poster size, and at that point you're really just showing off your expensive custom frame that happens to have some art in the middle. I guess if you have one of their older, expensive prints, it might be worth it, but for most of their stuff that hover around the $150 to $200 range, a $300 frame is overkill.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, Pixar really messed up with Cars. It started out as a dream project of Andrew Stanton, and it turned out to be their worst film by far.

Cars is entirely a John Lasseter thing.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cheapest is DIY framing supplies. If you want a step up from that, buy a premade frame, and then get a framing shop to do the mounting and matte work. I usually go the latter route, and someplace like Michaels has a good supply of frames in standard poster sizes. They sometimes even have really amazing deals, as in the case of the two Disney prints I posted earlier. They had a sale on at the time where I got the second frame completely free.

As cool and limited as Mondo prints are, there's no real sense in going the full custom framing route. A nice custom frame with mattes and archival glass can run you around $300 for poster size, and at that point you're really just showing off your expensive custom frame that happens to have some art in the middle. I guess if you have one of their older, expensive prints, it might be worth it, but for most of their stuff that hover around the $150 to $200 range, a $300 frame is overkill.

Honestly unless the poster is more expensive then the custom job it isn't worth it. I've got a lot of old star wars posters that have been professionally done and while it's true they look great it's not something for every post because professionally done glass framed pictures are loving heavy and take up a lot of space.

Full on heavy duty frames aren't for every poster especially when you are paying drastically more then the poster itself. Unless you really love the poster spend less then the poster itself on a frame.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mister Chief posted:

Cars is entirely a John Lasseter thing.

My bad. You're right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe you were confusing Cars with Chris Sanders and Bolt?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe you were confusing Cars with Chris Sanders and Bolt?

Yeah, Cars is probably one of Pixar's biggest breadwinners, if not the top. It was the six highest-grossing film in 2006 worldwide, at $461 million dollars, and the merchandising sales is calculated to be around $6 billion dollars.

Critically, it wasn't that well-received, being the lowest rated Pixar film until Brave and Cars 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cars 2 and Brave are kind of B team for Pixar, even with Lasseter on Cars 2. I think the problem (if there even is one) would be Disney stretching them out.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

GonSmithe posted:

:psyduck:

What the hell are you going on about? Prince of Egypt, Road to El Dorado, Chicken Run, Shrek, Over the Hedge, Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2, Megamind and How to Train Your Dragon are all good movies in-and-of themselves.

How to Train Your Dragon is probably their best, and just because you didn't like it (or anything by Dreamworks, apparently), doesn't mean that "people just say they're good but actually they're bad."

I'm sorry Dreamworks fired you and then killed your dog, but seriously dude.

The Road to El Dorado is a Disney movie and Dreamworks had nothing to do with Chicken Run AFAIK

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The Road to El Dorado is a Disney movie

...No it wasn't? It was made by Dreamworks animation and published by dreamworks. You don't get much more dreamworks than that.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Lance Streetman posted:

...No it wasn't? It was made by Dreamworks animation and published by dreamworks. You don't get much more dreamworks than that.

I stand corrected. That blows my mind.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The Road to El Dorado is a Disney movie and Dreamworks had nothing to do with Chicken Run AFAIK

Also Dreamworks co-financed Chicken Run with Pathé and it was regarded as a very big deal at the time precisely because it was that studio's first big play for the animated feature market.

This is all stuff that takes five seconds to check.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, Cars is probably one of Pixar's biggest breadwinners, if not the top. It was the six highest-grossing film in 2006 worldwide, at $461 million dollars, and the merchandising sales is calculated to be around $6 billion dollars.

Critically, it wasn't that well-received, being the lowest rated Pixar film until Brave and Cars 2.

I don't know why I think this, but somehow I got the feeling that Brave was actually rather well-received. Granted I wasn't paying attention to anything about the movie.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 28, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I enjoyed Brave for what it was but most of my friends with kids thought it was either too "girly" or too "scary".

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 28, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I don't know why I think this, but somehow I got the feeling that Brave was actually rather well-received. Granted I wasn't paying attention to anything about the movie.

Well, I was looking over the numbers from Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. Cars had a 78%, which was the lowest a Pixar movie had ever received until Cars 2, with a 38% (now the lowest), while Brave received a 76%. On Metacritic, cars is 73/100.

Pretty much even Pixar's worst efforts still rank fairly high, although Cars 2 was widely recognized as the poo poo it was.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Tangled has to be my favourite non-pixar 3D animated film.

I also thought the original (teaser?) poster was pretty good. I'd post it but I'm on a mobile device and it's a bloody pain to link images :smith:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Man Brave was awesome though, gently caress people who say it's too girly. :colbert:

I don't know, I'm pretty much very entertained by most animated movies except for the last few entries in the Shrek series. Also I do want to frame that Twilight poster in an ornate gold frame, just because.

Edit: Yeah I loved Tangled and Princess and the Frog, one could argue that casting Zachary Levi in Tangled was useless celebrity casting, but I did kind of think he was ok in the movie. :v:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 28, 2012

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Edit: Yeah I loved Tangled and Princess and the Frog, one could argue that casting Zachary Levi in Tangled was useless celebrity casting, but I did kind of think he was ok in the movie. :v:

I think you'd have to vastly overestimate the star power of Zachary Levi to do that anyway.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Man Brave was awesome though, gently caress people who say it's too girly. :colbert:

I'm with you. It definitely had some pacing problems but the mother/daughter storyline was a pretty touching surprise and actually really affecting. It gets a million points for attempting succeeding to maturely depict that relationship.

And those cubs are cute-as-gently caress.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I'm sure this movie will be as terrible as every other movie John Carpenter has made since Vampires but the poster is quite striking, I think.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

frozenpeas posted:

I'm sure this movie will be as terrible as every other movie John Carpenter has made since Vampires but the poster is quite striking, I think.

I don't know man, it looks very fantasy paperback if you know what I mean. Also there's just something about the title that ticks me the wrong way. :saddowns:

Yeah Brave was really touching and I did enjoy it, but maybe it's because I'm a girly girl. I'm not sure whether most of the negative reviews are because they didn't like the movie or because both of the main characters are female. Also yesss the cubs are the most adorable. :3:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
That poster will be the Facebook profile photo for a million lonely, middle-aged Wiccan women.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think that exact picture spectrally appears on any polaroid photo taken within 50 miles of the location where deviantart's servers are housed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There used to be a terrible comic book back in the '90s with same name and spelling. I'm guessing it's based on that.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Young Freud posted:

Pretty much even Pixar's worst efforts still rank fairly high, although Cars 2 was widely recognized as the poo poo it was.

Once again, I have no loving idea how a Disney movie was able to make it through production with the moral "handicapped people are conspiring against us and are not to be trusted."

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Yeah, Pixar/Dreamworks/Disney can have some stinkers... but let's take a look at the bargain bin stocking stuffers the orphans get for Christmas.

I especially enjoy the creepy bastardization of the Dreamworks smirk in the last one.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

If we're going down that path, who could forget Vídeo Brinquedo's magnum opus, Ratatoing?

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np0AmM6MG-4

:allears:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

If we're going down that path, who could forget Vídeo Brinquedo's magnum opus, Ratatoing?

Incredible. This is incredible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Deadly Chlorine posted:

I'm going to need a gif of the cat doing, well pretty much any of the things he was doing. Jesus.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these color teee veeeeees

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Gonz posted:

We gotta install microwave ovens

Holy poo poo I thought it was saying "IN-STORE microwave ovens". This is huge.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Love this poster from RZA's new movie.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vintersorg posted:

This is pretty fantastic. Only some minor problems:
IN 4 DAYS - which is obviously just slapped on there for now
The film's logo in the corner just doesn't mesh with the painted style of the rest of the poster at all. I think if the IRON FISTS were painted as well it would be fine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vintersorg posted:

Wow, the RZA really does not like white guys trying to fist bump him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vintersorg posted:

So I guess Sauron is the man with the iron fists?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Vintersorg posted:

Saw this variant in a local pawn shop:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

Wow, the RZA really does not like white guys trying to fist bump him.

Fistbumping with the RZA would probably be extremely painful:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I see more and more proof this will be the best movie ever.