Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Like the guy above me said, they're simple games with simple charms. It's impossible to play one of the classics without having your spirits lifted by the whimsical style, the early X games make you feel like a badass and they all play so well that Megaman himself ends up feeling like a fifth limb.

poo poo, I'm probably better at killing Mavericks than I am at walking without tripping over myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

ImpAtom posted:

Also a fuckload of nostalgia.

This, and the fact that even today I feel the character designs are very original and fun. Most of them are just so gosh darn likeable. (that is, classic and X series wise)

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Mega Man games are a prime example of how you don't need to have an enormous development budget to create a game that's enjoyable and challenging. Game companies are all obsessed with big budget supergames that need to wrack up Call of Duty-like sales numbers in order to turn a profit, when at its core you really just need to make a game FUN to make it work.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

My wife asked me today why Megaman continues to resonate with me now that I'm 30. It's a good question! Why do we still care so much?

Because the games are awesome. I'm a bit younger than you but still have fond memories of playing Air Man's stage. Twenty years later I can pick the game up and recreate that experience. More than that though, the games are still solid and fun today. (And somewhat challenging)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think one can say without any exaggeration that classic Mega Man games (counting X and I personally Zero and ZX, too, with regards to the "formula") are truly timeless. Look at me, I have zero nostalgia, the first time I played Mega Man was in...2008? 09? And now I've LP'd all the NES games and am slowly working on Zero just because they are really drat good, man. Even a "modern gamer" like me can easily catch the bug.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
As much as I like Megaman/X, I'd really like to see the series get a fully Metroidvania type game starring X/Zero. Something like Symphony of the Night with items to equip, levels to gain, combos to learn, etc. SotN still gets play in my house and I'd love to have a game of that depth for my X-heroes. It will never happen, of course but a man can dream.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Levantine posted:

As much as I like Megaman/X, I'd really like to see the series get a fully Metroidvania type game starring X/Zero. Something like Symphony of the Night with items to equip, levels to gain, combos to learn, etc. SotN still gets play in my house and I'd love to have a game of that depth for my X-heroes. It will never happen, of course but a man can dream.

So basically you want jkbproductions to finish Megaman X Corrupted.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Levantine posted:

One can hope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_8T0RYlc8o

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 28, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

So basically you want jkbproductions to finish Megaman X Corrupted.

Oh! I didn't realize it was full Metroidvania style! I mean, I want them to finish it because it's more Megaman X but that changes my view a bit! I thought the levels were just linear but bigger A to B affairs. Very cool!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Levantine posted:

Oh! I didn't realize it was full Metroidvania style! I mean, I want them to finish it because it's more Megaman X but that changes my view a bit! I thought the levels were just linear but bigger A to B affairs. Very cool!

I remember having this moment... two years ago?

Please finish the game, guys. :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

A comic series that is currently gearing up for a crossover with Sonic the Hedgehog!

Two dying franchises, band together to fight for survival. Truly, the most epic tale of the Games Industry ever told.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Unless something happened when I wasn't looking, Sonic isn't dying by any stretch of the word.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Unless something happened when I wasn't looking, Sonic isn't dying by any stretch of the word.

Sega totally is, though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

It's already a zombie.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Captain Invictus posted:

Two dying franchises, band together to fight for survival. Truly, the most epic tale of the Games Industry ever told.

Sonic actually had a pretty amazing comeback after years of being awful. While Capcom and Square Enix have totally gone down the shitter, Sega is probably the best Japanese developer today. Never thought I'd say that. But Sonic Generations, VF5, etc. are pretty goddamn awesome. Too bad almost all of Sega's franchises are super duper niche, even more niche and obscure than Mega Man and Castlevania.

Mega Man, Castlevania and Sonic are easily my 3 favorite game franchises ever, though. I also really dig Contra, Metal Slug, Kirby and basically anything made by Treasure. In case you haven't noticed, I really, really, really like sidescrollers, and the Mega Man games are some of the most top notch games to grace the genre.

And it's sadly a pretty much a dead genre, too. You don't see very many sidescroller games on par with the Mega Man series. Most of them are just mediocre indie games relying on a singular gimmick, or no effort retro cash-ins, like Sonic 4 and the recent Rocket Knight for Xbox Live. Mega Man 9, 10 and the Konami Rebirth series are rare examples of retro-sequels that actually had a little bit of effort put into them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Sega totally is, though.

It depends. Sega is probably dying as far as being a big publisher of third party titles. Their first-party stuff remains pretty profitable. The Sonic games actually sell really well still for relatively little budget.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sonic actually had a pretty amazing comeback after years of being awful. While Capcom and Square Enix have totally gone down the shitter, Sega is probably the best Japanese developer today. Never thought I'd say that. But Sonic Generations, VF5, etc. are pretty goddamn awesome. Too bad almost all of Sega's franchises are super duper niche, even more niche and obscure than Mega Man and Castlevania.

Mega Man, Castlevania and Sonic are easily my 3 favorite game franchises ever, though. I also really dig Contra, Metal Slug, Kirby and basically anything made by Treasure. In case you haven't noticed, I really, really, really like sidescrollers, and the Mega Man games are some of the most top notch games to grace the genre.

And it's sadly a pretty much a dead genre, too. You don't see very many sidescroller games on par with the Mega Man series. Most of them are just mediocre indie games relying on a singular gimmick, or no effort retro cash-ins, like Sonic 4 and the recent Rocket Knight for Xbox Live. Mega Man 9, 10 and the Konami Rebirth series are rare examples of retro-sequels that actually had a little bit of effort put into them.
Have you played Rayman Origins? It's easily the best platformer I've ever played. Yes, that includes the likes of Donkey Kong Country 2. Or any Mega Man. It's that loving good. As long as games like that can come out, the sidescroller isn't dead by any means.

Or Sonic Generations, I mean that was just fantastic, too. 2D, 3D, no matter. Great design is great design. SOMEONE TELL CAPCOM.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Simply Simon posted:

Great design is great design. SOMEONE TELL CAPCOM.

Of course, this requires someone to be listening.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Have you played Rayman Origins? It's easily the best platformer I've ever played. Yes, that includes the likes of Donkey Kong Country 2. Or any Mega Man. It's that loving good. As long as games like that can come out, the sidescroller isn't dead by any means.

Or Sonic Generations, I mean that was just fantastic, too. 2D, 3D, no matter. Great design is great design. SOMEONE TELL CAPCOM.

Nope. I've never played a Rayman game in my life. They just kind of slipped under my radar. I was mostly into Nintendo and Sega systems as I grew up, and I never got a PS1. My first, and only, Sony console was the PS2, so I never played Rayman and Crash Bandicoot. Also, I'm one of the few people who was never that much into Donkey Kong Country, either.

Also, Simon, do you have a link to all your Megaman LPs? I did a search in the LP forum, but I couldn't find 'em. Must be in the archives or something. I've actually been thinking about doing a Megaman LP myself with the 25th Anniversary coming up. They're also pretty short games you can beat in an hour that I know like the back of my hand, so it's pretty reasonable.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Next time Rayman Origins is on Steam sale or something, give it a go. It's worth every cent of the 30€ I put into preordering it (first and only time I've done so for a game), too. The controls are rock-solid (get it like with Rock Man ahaha) and the level design is beyond delicious. In practically every level the solution is to never stop running, which is sometimes really hard to get the timing right for, but sooo satisfying. It has really good underwater levels, for Christ's sake!

As for the LPs...this is for MM1, you should find the rest from there (or just search on the archive site). MMZero is ongoing, though I'm really not updating often.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mordaedil posted:

It's already a zombie.

I would absolutely not be surprised if this crossover infected the Mega Man comic with permanent undead shittiness. Not that it's currently good or anything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Look, Sonic Generations was a genuinely Good Game and the series has been slowly clawing its way up from the muck ever since Unleashed. I can only wish Mega Man would get a chance at that kind of recovery.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sure, but the Sonic comic is the longest-running poo poo comic in the history of the medium.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Oh wow, Rayman Origins DOES look really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQX_6ovlPdU

Holy cow, that is some gorgeous 2D animation. There needs to be more games like this! Goddamn. I had no idea this even existed.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh wow, Rayman Origins DOES look really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQX_6ovlPdU

Holy cow, that is some gorgeous 2D animation. There needs to be more games like this! Goddamn. I had no idea this even existed.

Never was a big Rayman guy but I had to click the link because of your reaction. drat this game came out last year? Think I might have to get on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Social Animal posted:

Never was a big Rayman guy but I had to click the link because of your reaction. drat this game came out last year? Think I might have to get on it.

Rayman Origins is loving great, super cheap and available for every system under the sun. There is no reason not to own it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Social Animal posted:

This game's a lot of fun, just avoid the handheld releases as they're all pretty bad (they do the budget GBA port "trick" of just cropping the viewable area instead of actually taking the resolution of the handheld into account).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Beat BN6.

The ending was kind of :unsmith: and did a pretty good job of setting up a finale after the series was forced to continue after 3. You can at tell that they were making the last game in the series from the start, with how they messed with convention a little and threw in a lot of interesting new stuff right from the start.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I saw Wreck It Ralph last week and as far as I can tell, no Dr. Wily or Mega Man. Honestly this is fine by me. The movie focuses on ARCADE games (yes I know about Power Battles) all the cameos were incredibly brief, often just in the background anyway.

If you play the Wreck it Ralph game on Disney's site, they use sounds from Mega Man oddly enough.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I didn't get into Mega Man games until the X collection on ps2. I watched the cartoon religiously as a kid but never played any of the games as I was a Sega kid. After beating every game on the X collection, I moved on to Zero series and eventually moved on to classic Mega Man. ZX was actually the first Mega Man I bought on day one.

The idea that all Mega Man fans grew up with the games and have only nostalgia for them is a false one. I am a Mega man freak and I didn't get into the series until 2006 with the X collection.

Mega Man games resonate due to the replay ability, free form game play and challenges. It's simplistic and yet utterly complex with no right way to play. Prefer going in with just the straight p-shot? Go ahead. Wanna try out every weapon and find every enemies weakness? You're allowed to. Speed runs, no hit runs, vanilla no upgrade runs...Mega Man resonates because it is the ultimate in open ended side scrolling 2d gaming on top of having a level of charm and fun that few games have.

By my estimation, my favorite Mega Man, X4, is easily a top 10 game.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hope!

...It's probably going to be a port of Megaman X-Over or something, huh. :smith:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am wary as gently caress.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo Rasa posted:

This game's a lot of fun, just avoid the handheld releases as they're all pretty bad (they do the budget GBA port "trick" of just cropping the viewable area instead of actually taking the resolution of the handheld into account).

The 3DS version isn't cropped, it's zoomed way the hell out to the point where all the gorgeous art is just a blurry mess (also it's 30FPS and there's no multiplayer).

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

BlitzBlast posted:

Hope!

...It's probably going to be a port of Megaman X-Over or something, huh. :smith:

O great Capcom is cock teasing us with more Megaman info. My expectations are loving zero so at least I can't be disappointed.

The only thing I could be excited for is Megaman 1-10 collection on 3ds or Vita

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I hope you guys are excited about Ninja Theory's grim and mature Mega Man reboot!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Until such time as I see something actually come out I will have to mentally maintain that there are no heroes left in Man Capcom.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Haruharuharuko posted:

O great Capcom is cock teasing us with more Megaman info. My expectations are loving zero so at least I can't be disappointed.

The only thing I could be excited for is Megaman 1-10 collection on 3ds or Vita

Not an X9 or a Powered Up 2 or a GameBoy remake collection? Surely you can't think Capcom has run the gamut of good ideas yet? Because, they'll never use any of those ideas, I can tell you right now.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LemonLimeTime posted:

Not an X9 or a Powered Up 2 or a GameBoy remake collection? Surely you can't think Capcom has run the gamut of good ideas yet? Because, they'll never use any of those ideas, I can tell you right now.

I'm still waiting for Maverick Hunter X remakes.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Haruharuharuko posted:

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Hope!

That sounds more like they're saying "Yeah sure we'll probably make a new Mega Man someday", not that theyr'e promising a new game to be announced.