Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Not exactly, a lot of third party ports are going to be most suitable for the pro controller for one player.

Every thing on the Pro Controller's on the Game Pad though. I know what you mean, but it's probably not what'll happen. They'll try to toss in something to use on the second screen, just to use it the same way games tossed in motion control on the Wii despite there being the Classic Controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I played Rayman Legends. The game is beautiful, but I hope that the demo level is just an intentional bait-and-switch to show off all the features. If I have to switch from Rayman to Murphy in the middle of levels it's gonna fuckin irritate the poo poo out of me.

It seems like the game is mostly designed to be a co-op experience... except that there's been no indication that the co-op campaign is supported online. why do you do this game companies, why

:negative:

(for the record the only confirmed online content in Rayman Legends is "Players can connect online with friends for a variety of challenges that test their skill and speed, and can see where they rank on the worldwide leaderboards." which sounds like side content or minigames)

e: Also I got a look at NSMBU and the game looks pretty darn crisp and colorful in HD. No playable demo though :I

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 28, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just got a chance to try out that Rayman Demo, controller felt kind of... strange to me, but I liked it. I think. The gamestop manager came over to watch me for some reason and was somehow surprised when I didn't get murdered in Castle Rock. I just kind of smiled and shrugged it off. For a brief moment my faith was 100% restored. The colors were fantastic and watching the game in full motion was great. The running and jumping controls felt nice and it was platforming bliss once again.

Then I played the Murphy level. While I was crying from depression man was it boring. I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea because, frankly it isn't. The worst part was there's a part where I need to slide a platform over a pit of fire, there's a enemy on one side, and incoming fireballs. I'd clear the entire screen of fireballs, start tickling the enemy like the game wants me to... and the AI would jump as high as it could into a freshly spawned fireball and get itself killed. Twice. Talk about a total moodkill. I really hope the delay is to get rid of Murphy mode (As in, have the AI control HIM and leave me alone)

It also doesn't help that I changed my character to Rayman and the Murphy level forced me into being Barbara anyway (She was waiting with murphy)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

citizenlowell posted:

But the headsets plug into the pad and use it to transmit audio through the console? Right? Isn't that why everyone was complaining that the pro controller was missing the mic jack?

Nope, the game pad misses a microphone jack too.

There is only one jack, and it's the output jack, the headphone jack, the one that carries the game sounds. Audio jacks were never designed to be used full-duplex, that is for transmitting and receiving data at the same time.

If you look at the pictures on these two pages you will see that there is only one headphone (that is output) audio jack.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/everything-you-need-know-about-the-wii-u/
(look under the "What you can't see here" caption)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/i412448-8/wii-u-final-hardware-gallery-black-nintendo-wii-u.html#a431815
(see picture #4)

http://kotaku.com/5952858/

Dicktaku posted:

[UPDATE 2] Well, not so fast.. a second PDP rep contacted me to clarify things further: "Afterglow wireless headsets are compatible with Wii U. If the game chat utilizes the USB port of the Wii U console then the AG headset can receive the chat audio wirelessly. If the chat audio is directed through the 3.5mm audio jack on the Wii U pad then user can plug in the provided chat/game audio cable. It depends on how the game / chat audio is designed." As the story indicated above, Black Ops II does its chat through the 3.5mm jack, so it seems like that's one game that won't work wirelessly with PDP's headset but would be fine with a wired hook-up.

edit: vvvv :stare: ?

Jacks with three rings? What kind of magic is this? (Does WiiU have a combo audio jack?) :negative:

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 28, 2012

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

limaCAT posted:

Nope, the game pad misses a microphone jack too.

There is only one jack, and it's the output jack, the headphone jack, the one that carries the game sounds. Audio jacks were never designed to be used full-duplex, that is for transmitting and receiving data at the same time.

What? The Xbox 360 controller has only one jack, and laptops have had combo jacks for years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Every thing on the Pro Controller's on the Game Pad though. I know what you mean, but it's probably not what'll happen. They'll try to toss in something to use on the second screen, just to use it the same way games tossed in motion control on the Wii despite there being the Classic Controller

There are already launch games where you can use the pro controller if you wish and still have whatever the developer placed on the pad, just putting it on the table in front of you or next to the TV.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

limaCAT posted:

Jacks with three rings? What kind of magic is this? (Does WiiU have a combo audio jack?) :negative:
The 3DS and I think the later DS variants supported the 3.5mm three ring (TRRS?) headsets like most cellphone headsets w/mic and clicker so I'm guessing the gamepad does too. Well I'm pretty sure it does but I forget where I read that.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
It's possible (not very likely) that the GamePad does have some sort of chat function over Miiverse and they're just holding out until Miiverse is fully detailed. I mean, video chat is confirmed. That uses the GamePad mic. There's basically a Wii Speak bundled with every Wii U.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Hopefully. Tekken is the only one I'm aware of so far. It's 16.7 GB and slightly cheaper as a download than a disk in Japan.
If games are regularly going to be that large then downloads still aren't viable for a lot of people. Even with Comcast having 'currently' suspended enforcement of download limits, that wouldn't be a short download for me and would slow down the internet for everyone else in the house.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

American companies really need to move into the 21st century when it comes to broadband and download limits. They haven't been a thing here in the UK for a long time, unless you only have the super basic package or are regularly pulling down like 100GB a week (although Sky doesn't even seem to care then.)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chaltab posted:

If games are regularly going to be that large then downloads still aren't viable for a lot of people. Even with Comcast having 'currently' suspended enforcement of download limits, that wouldn't be a short download for me and would slow down the internet for everyone else in the house.

The last PC game I bought physical was Portal 2 because I got a good discount on Newegg and had a gift card.

Most of my games on Steam are over 7 GB. New Vegas or Skyrim are 10 gigs. Origin's the same, Battlefield is over 16 gigs, Dragon Age is almost 19 gigs. Maybe some console gamers will get a bit of filesize shock but anybody who's been playing computer games for the past five years is used to this.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

The last PC game I bought physical was Portal 2 because I got a good discount on Newegg and had a gift card.

Most of my games on Steam are over 7 GB. New Vegas or Skyrim are 10 gigs. Origin's the same, Battlefield is over 16 gigs, Dragon Age is almost 19 gigs. Maybe some console gamers will get a bit of filesize shock but anybody who's been playing computer games for the past five years is used to this.

Pretty much this. I imagine the much prettier games on the Wii U like Pikmin 3 will have massive file sizes, 15+ GB like TT2.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I sure wish 15GB were massive!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sakurazuka posted:

American companies really need to move into the 21st century when it comes to broadband and download limits. They haven't been a thing here in the UK for a long time, unless you only have the super basic package or are regularly pulling down like 100GB a week (although Sky doesn't even seem to care then.)

There was an initiative to help bring high speed broadband internet infrastructure to everyone in the US, but it fell victim to our embarrassing political system

EDIT: England has way better internet from what I have heard because there is actual competition

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I sure wish 15GB were massive!

That's nearly half the Wii U's hard drive!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm pretty sure any game with that kind of filesize is also going to be in stores. And I figured it was a given that anyone downloading AAA releases would be using an external hard drive.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There was an initiative to help bring high speed broadband internet infrastructure to everyone in the US, but it fell victim to our embarrassing political system

EDIT: England has way better internet from what I have heard because there is actual competition

Kinda-sorta, if you're thinking about the large "let's build some loving broadband!" one. Deals were struck, money went out, but into corrupt business-man pockets rather than into expansions and investments. I talked about this with somebody who planted the internet pipes of the gods in Sweden in the 80's and 90's, over here he laid down fiber alongside the power lines back then with the idea that it was "for the future". He later assisted that very work in the US, and they thought that idea was absolutely nuts and a waste of money.

The rest is history, and you can probably guess how little I pay for my private 100/100 fiberoptic line.

An all-download digital gaming era isn't going to happen (even more so soon with how the lovely multiplat devs who focused on making 6 (now 8) gigs and no more games for the 360 will have 22-25 gigs to use), but sometimes it's nice to dream.

(and I hope fixit takes a WiiU apart quickly so we can check out the SSD, if it's proprietary or if we can like take a retail SSD of the right specs apart and jam the board in)
(external drive support + four USB ports = greatly appreciated, but I like internals..)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 28, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Atomicated posted:

C'mon now, that thing's not really for storage if you're going to commit to downloading games. As someone who doesn't want to own physical game boxes, I consider an external drive mandatory for me. Sadly, I may end up buying physical copies and having to make room for the cases somewhere. Maybe I'll keep all the discs in a binder and the cases in a box somewhere.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Atomicated posted:

I guess that's why mine has a terabyte hard drive. For the price of one game.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
The more I think about it the more I'm surprised they offer a 32gb model. It seems like if 8 isn't enough for you you're the kind of person that won't be happy with 32 either.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Atomicated posted:

The more I think about it the more I'm surprised they offer a 32gb model. It seems like if 8 isn't enough for you you're the kind of person that won't be happy with 32 either.

It's a bit of free memory for pictures and smaller games, I don't mind an extra 24 GB and a charging station along with the Nintendo Land pack-in.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah it's not just the 32, but it does help quite a bit along with the other bonuses you get.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

It might have to do with solid state drives. (Just guessing, take me with a grain of salt)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, I'm getting the 32GB Deluxe partly for the slight expansion of space for VC/WiiWare/whatever kind of miniature games. If and when I decide to going deep on digital versions of retail games, then I'm busting out the 1TB external.

I wonder how the digital/retail ratio is going to work out.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Atomicated posted:

Reggie said up front that he expects people who download will just use their own externals. They want people to do that so they don't pay an extra $150 for a small hard drive built into the console.

I'm betting Nintendo will end up putting their name on an official hard drive for people too dumb to understand that you can use any storage you want but it makes sense for them not to stick a huge hard drive in and drive the price up.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Reggie said up front that he expects people who download will just use their own externals. They want people to do that so they don't pay an extra $150 for a small hard drive built into the console.

I'm betting Nintendo will end up putting their name on an official hard drive for people too dumb to understand that you can use any storage you want but it makes sense for them not to stick a huge hard drive in and drive the price up.

The ol' idiot tax. Yeah, I prefer things this way. They're taking the right course of action.

Also, based on the statistics from the Wii, a ton of people never realized they could even take it online-- that's why they started packing new Wii consoles with quick demo videos of how to get online. No point in making people pay for a hard drive if they're not even sure how to get to the shop.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Rake Arms posted:

It's possible (not very likely) that the GamePad does have some sort of chat function over Miiverse and they're just holding out until Miiverse is fully detailed. I mean, video chat is confirmed. That uses the GamePad mic. There's basically a Wii Speak bundled with every Wii U.

Didn't they say way back when they announced the Wii U that there'd be cross-game voicechat?
I'd assume that if they'd did that anywhere, it'd be in Miiverse.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the average online connection rate for the Wii was something like 9%. Compare that to the 3DS, where the worldwide average is 72% and the connection rate in both the US and Japan is over 80%.

Rake Arms posted:

The problem is that no-one actually wants another Wii Speak.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Connection rates would have been far higher if it'd kept a physical port and not a never in stock at a physical store network adapter.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

horriblePencilist posted:

Didn't they say way back when they announced the Wii U that there'd be cross-game voicechat?
I'd assume that if they'd did that anywhere, it'd be in Miiverse.
Ehhh but aren't there Wii U games that don't support voice-chat? I think they left it, like everything else, up to the developers (who don't WANT everything left up to them).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Connection rates would have been far higher if it'd kept a physical port and not a never in stock at a physical store network adapter.

I'd argue that more people have wireless or are willing to pay for a cheapass d-link wifi router than have or are willing to run cat-5 to their television. It ties back to the discussion earlier where some people thought the Wii only did sports.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chronojam posted:

I'd argue that more people have wireless or are willing to pay for a cheapass d-link wifi router than have or are willing to run cat-5 to their television. It ties back to the discussion earlier where some people thought the Wii only did sports.

Oddly this is an area where rural places or smaller cities have a big advantage over metropolitan areas. In some place like New York in any given apartment you are going to have a ridiculous amount of wifi networks, there's only so many channels, and there is a lot of interference, so your wifi connection is going to suck. I luckily live in a house with only one wifi network visible.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

C'mon now, that thing's not really for storage if you're going to commit to downloading games. As someone who doesn't want to own physical game boxes, I consider an external drive mandatory for me. Sadly, I may end up buying physical copies and having to make room for the cases somewhere. Maybe I'll keep all the discs in a binder and the cases in a box somewhere.

You can just get rid of the plastic case and keep all the covers,booklets, and discs together in a single binder. Usualy the binders are able to hold a few hundred games. They're at most the size of a photo album.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Vaerai Archon posted:

You can just get rid of the plastic case and keep all the covers,booklets, and discs together in a single binder. Usualy the binders are able to hold a few hundred games. They're at most the size of a photo album.

I also have a fond nostalgia for the late 1990s.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greatn posted:

No they're not those CD only binders. They're binders specificly ment for videogames.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

See his signature.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

Honestly if it's between that and getting a new shelf just for games I'll take the CD binder.

If it's not clear the reason this is more difficult for me than most is that I don't have a lot of space and I don't have an already existing collection of physical discs that I can get rid of; I have maybe 4 PS2 games and that's it. All my games are on PC and they are all from Steam, gog, etc.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ehhh but aren't there Wii U games that don't support voice-chat? I think they left it, like everything else, up to the developers (who don't WANT everything left up to them).

I thought the voicechat was linked to the Wii U itself, and not the game. Kind of like how you can use voicechat in Steam.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

greatn posted:

Oddly this is an area where rural places or smaller cities have a big advantage over metropolitan areas. In some place like New York in any given apartment you are going to have a ridiculous amount of wifi networks, there's only so many channels, and there is a lot of interference, so your wifi connection is going to suck. I luckily live in a house with only one wifi network visible.

The problem there is that many of those people don't know what Wifi Channels are, so they're all piled up on channel 6 while I use 1 or 11 and I'm completely unaffected by interference.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Chronojam posted:

Not sure what that has to do with my point. Many US broadband companies still have datacaps, and decent speeds aren't cheap. Combine that with the fact that downloading stuff off console shops is usually a lot slower than Steam, and 17GB is pretty inconvenient.

• Locked thread