Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Even if these particular examples are trivial, the pitching injuries are starting to border on the ridiculous. I have to ask, am I doing something that's causing every pitcher on the roster to grenade themselves at inopportune times? My sliders, maybe?

On the actual playing front: non-Vance pitchers are doing okay, team still can't hit, will win about 65 games, going to the second or third round of the Gauntlet, the usual performance. Not much I can really do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Is my off day before the Oranges series enough to get my fatigued players back to good health or should I be finding a way to rest them more than that?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

gingemidget posted:

Even if these particular examples are trivial, the pitching injuries are starting to border on the ridiculous. I have to ask, am I doing something that's causing every pitcher on the roster to grenade themselves at inopportune times? My sliders, maybe?

Pitching in general is pretty fragile. I think your problem is that you got unlucky, and never had a ton of depth to begin with.

ToilerofSadness

Most of your players are fine, and you have another off day the week after, so you can probably hold off resting players for a little bit.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mornacale posted:

I told you Chick Hafey was good! :v:
Up is down and left is right in Mogul land! Kaline looks like he might even remember he's supposed to have a career 134 OPS+. Maybe not in time for me to avoid the Gauntlet but, you know, it's the thought that counts.

(Enjoying your .125 IsoD on Bonds?)

Deck chair shuffling...

According to the defensive stats, Hafey's a black hole in CF and Kaline is sorta wasting his talents at 1B, so unless this is a bad idea we'll move Kaline to CF and Hafey at 1B, same spots in batting order.

Also please swap Tiant and Finley in the rotation if that is feasible. Make Carter Finley's personal catcher so Berra's knees don't explode.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 28, 2012

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Well I'll be, best record in the Dynamo League. Let's see if we can't keep it that way. As you said, put Grimes back in at #4 in the rotation and send Nolan down. One other thing, please swap Tom Hall and John D'Acquisto's spots in the bullpen. I believe middle relief means generally pitching when the starter has already melted down and given up the lead, so since D'Acquisto seems to have finally gotten a good roll, I'll have him go in the meaningful relief pitching spot.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Grace comes in for Olerud this week, make Daulton Cy Young's personal catcher!

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Wow, what a great couple of weeks. I guess we'll give Lefty Williams a chance to gently caress up in place of Dennis Leonard. And put Edmonds back in for Averill, please; I forgot to do that last week, but it seems to have worked out OK!

We should probably put Stan Hack back in at third base, Cronin's not really a long-term 3B. We have a really good infield defense, so I guess that's a point in our favor?

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Mediocrity is more than I expected. I also expected Teddy Ballgame to hit better than .188, but hey.

Sit Damon, start Bernie Williams. Why is Gossage always so bad? Can all the hitters at this level catch up to his fastball?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

We should probably put Stan Hack back in at third base, Cronin's not really a long-term 3B. We have a really good infield defense, so I guess that's a point in our favor?
I approve this move.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Huh, I thought I had put Martinez back at 3B full-time.

The Merry Marauder posted:

But, but, I don't want any of my players to break! I'd vote for letting the AI rest players for next year. Carry a capable bench!

Big Hurt in full time at first, Olerud should be a decent PH. Edgar Martinez back to third base. Switch CF and 3B in the lineup, as well, please. [2 and 6]

Go ahead through with the lineup order swap between CF and 3B, too, please.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 28, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 18 Injury Report

We have a new Intercontinental Champion!

And then we have another!

Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Curt Schilling (SP) (The Hurting Continues!) - 27 days

Old Hoss Radbourns
Tim Wakefield (SP) (Shooting TV Movie/backdoor pilot "Tim Wakefield, M.D.) - 8 days

Rochester Generics
Nomar Garciaparra (SS) (Bad Trip) - 7 days

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

So here's a terrible decision. Mogul thinks Furcal can play 3B, so, platoon him with Sandoval there. Furcal vs lefties, Sandoval vs righties. Clearly, going into a season-deciding series means I should be tinkering foolhardedly with my team.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You have to give the team some credit, it's still soldiering on despite injuries everywhere. And so it has come to this:

Santo to 3B, Kent to SS until Garciaparra recovers. God have mercy on us all.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

We have a new Intercontinental Champion!

Denny Rainwater, you're so dreamy!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

And then we have another!

Though perhaps we should reconsider becoming slaves to the metanarrative.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Revenant Threshold posted:

So here's a terrible decision. Mogul thinks Furcal can play 3B, so, platoon him with Sandoval there. Furcal vs lefties, Sandoval vs righties. Clearly, going into a season-deciding series means I should be tinkering foolhardedly with my team.

But they're both switch-hitters. This plan makes no sense at all.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Smasher Dynamo posted:

But they're both switch-hitters. This plan makes no sense at all.
The loose idea is that if it should turn out that Furcal is horrendously terrible (in comparison, anyway), he won't get as much opportunity to be terrible. Really I could've just platooned either way, but eh, they each still have some minor favouring.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Revenant Threshold posted:

The loose idea is that if it should turn out that Furcal is horrendously terrible (in comparison, anyway), he won't get as much opportunity to be terrible. Really I could've just platooned either way, but eh, they each still have some minor favouring.

Don't make moves just to make moves, that's what ends up killing about half of the teams in the Super-League. You all have a bad week and then you say, "I know, I can fix this!" and then make a bunch of changes to your lineup. Bad weeks are going to happen. The correct response to them is "Oh well, next week will probably be better." It is hard to watch your team struggle for a bit and do nothing, but constantly reshuffling your teams is doing way more harm than good. If you have a good reason to change your lineup then, fine, do it. If not, then don't.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Smasher League Week 17: Loneliness as a Way of Life

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

LANDERS THROTTLE BOBBLEHEADS 8-1, CHICAGO ESCAPES WITH TITLE

Moonbase 0-2- The Smasher League doesn't have close division races this year. Except for this one.

Realistically, both the Landers and Bobbleheads will survive the season and avoid the Gauntlet. However, only one will reach the postseason and have a chance to play for the Super-League Championship. Today, the Landers were able to close the gap with the first-place Bobbleheads, thanks to an 8-1 rout.

mrnoun, the venerable and fiery owner of the Landers, made it clear that he has no intention of conceding the division to the Bobbleheads. "We are the better team. We have the better players, we make better trades, we draft better. Our Pythagorean record is better, and I am smarter than blakelmenakle. We won this division last year, and the only reason that the Bobbleheads won the championship instead of us is because a five-game series is an invitation to bizarre results. I'm glad there's no wildcard this year. The Bobbleheads won't get to suck their way into the playoffs this year, they'll have to beat us, and that is not going to happen. Just look at today's game! We beat their ace badly. We hung eight runs on Greg Maddux, and we did it with ease. I know that people like the Bobbleheads. They're like jock-rock, simple, uncomplicated, but so unfulfilling. Every times the Bobbleheads win something, with their crappy rotation, and their useless lineup, they make the Super-League a little bit worse. They stand for luck, and, if nothing else, the Super-League doesn't stand for luck."

Mark Grace disagreed, showing up to his press conference with the Heavyweight Championship that, thanks to yesterday's 5-4 win, was retained by the Bobbleheads, "The Landers are just sore losers. Always have been, always will be. I mean, come on, who else listens to prog rock these days? Shut-ins, druggies, and old men. I wonder which one describes mrnoun best? Anyway, I still lead the division, and I still have this Heavyweight Title, and I took both of them from poor old mrnoun. And you know what else? He will never win either again. The Landers are going to spend the next ten seasons coming in second place every year. And, you know what, I wouldn't have it any other way."

Box Score

Don May posted:

PHOENIXES CONSOLIDATE LEAD WITH 8-6 WIN OVER MOOGLIES

Ithaca- The Mark Bellhorn race is probably over.

The Phoenixes, as usual, are the winners by default. The Juggernauts, self-destructive as ever, decided to quadruple-down on Jimmie Foxx, which has, to the great surprise of no one, not worked out well for them. The Cells, short on depth to begin with, simply could not survive the normal injuries that occur over the course of a season. And as for the Mooglies, the poor, sweet Mooglies, their greatest enemy was themselves.

Ted Williams, the former field captain of the late Newport Sharks, saw a familiar pattern, "I've seen first-hand the damage that trade addiction can do to a franchise. I remember how Student used to call me up at 3 am, and tell me that he had a great deal worked out with the Finger-Bangers that would save his team, and I'd have to talk him down. And my letters...I know you guys thought it was funny when I wrote those letters to Student to stop him from doing something stupid, but there is nothing funny about addiction. I'd like to call The Goog out here for a minute. The Goog?"

The Goog, dressed in the traditional sequined jumpsuit of the royal house of Googopolis, then made his way to the stage. Ted Williams then put his hand on The Goog's shoulder, "The Goog, you are my owner, and I love you...well, maybe not 'love', but I don't want you to die in a plane crash, which is as close to love as I can really get. I think you have a problem with trades, and I have brought down a few people here that have been hurt by your trading addiction. Chief Bender, would you begin?"

Chief Bender, well, one of them, then appeared from the audience and began to read a letter he had written for this occasion, "Dear The Goog, your trading addiction has hurt me most of all. Your decision to effectively replace Eddie Plank with a clone of myself has weakened this team's pitching and forced me into a life-and-death struggle with my clone over who is the real Chief Bender. We both know that one of us must die so that the other can be whole. I lie awake at night, worried that this will be the night that the other me chooses to make his fatal attack. The days are even harder, every time I pass by a mirror-"

Ted Williams interrupted Bender at that point, "Chief, if would could focus more on what his trading addiction has done to the team's performance on the field..."

Chief Bender then scanned down his letter a bit and resumed his reading, "As I was pitching today, I noticed many ground balls heading to second. In the bast, they would have been handled by Eddie Collins, one of the finest second baseman of all time. Today, though, thanks to your insatiable hunger for trading, it was manned by Mark DeRosa, a career utility infielder. This hurts not only me as a pitcher, but us as a team."

"Thank you, Chief," Ted Williams said in a calm voice. "Would anyone else like to share their feelings about The Goog's trading addiction?"

"I would be happy to," spoke a familiar voice from the back of the room, "Hello, my name is The Merry Marauder, and I too have been hurt by the Mooglies' trading addiction-"

"Marauder, this isn't the time," Williams interjected.

"Please, Theodore, I'm just here to help The Goog."

"Okay, but don't be an rear end in a top hat."

"Noted. The Goog, your trading addiction has hurt me deeply. We could have really used the quality players that you've cast off recently. Instead, you've been mainly sharing the wealth amongst your partners in the Superstars syndicate. As a fellow original owner, I implore you, please, direct your uncontrollable urges to trade towards my teams. After all, I'm sure I could make you a better deal than anyone else-"

The press conference/intervention broke down at that point as Ted Williams directed security to remove a still-gloating Marauder.

Box Score

Josh Gibson posted:

Dear Grinnblade,

I hope this letter finds you well. As you noticed, I was not with the team for today's game. After a season of losing, I needed a bit of space. I needed to get a bit of distance, to see the situation from an outsider's perspective.

I was in the stadium at least. So, that's something. You were playing the Eazy W's, a team that you didn't really stand a chance against. Jack McDowell was on the mound and, just like always, he was good enough. And then he did what he always did. With the game seemingly in hand, if not quite out of reach, he called for Yoshida, he gave his normal speech about the Eazy Ws' spirit, and then brought out Eri Yoshida.

And I watched your team. I watched the team I had been part of, and you failed, over and over again. you could not hit her when she threw her knuckleball. You could not stop her when she threw a 65 mph fastball. The Potatoes, more than ever, were rendered completely helpless.

I saw this display, and I knew that the Potatoes were done. You cannot save your team, Grinnblade. I know that, for Super-League IX, you might do better, but these Potatoes will certainly die. And, knowing that, I have just one request: please trade me to a contender. If you lose with me still on your roster, I'll have to go to the worst team in the expansion class, and the tragedy will repeat itself. Please, Grinnblade, I've tried my best for you, but I deserve a chance to be a winner. Do that for me.

It's the least you can do.

Sincerely,

Josh Gibson

Box Score

No, you're lineups aren't glitched, Rafael Furcal just sucks

Analysis

Escaped the Landers series and then smashed the Mudholes. Business as usual.

Analysis

The Emperors appear to be rooted about where they are now. I'm not sure they're going to have a lot of upwards or downwards movement over the rest of the season.

Analysis

The Comacheros are finally making a comeback! They couldn't hit that badly for that long, after all.

Also, I am moved by your potential plight of losing two teams in a single season. I might be able to do something for you about that.

Analysis

And the Phoenixes open up a huge lead.

Analysis

But seriously, The Goog, seek help for your trading addiction. Don't end up like Student, miserable and in Rhode Island.

Analysis

Ouch.

Analysis

Four times the Foxx, four times the suck!

Analysis

The Landers are definitely making it a tight race against the Bobbleheads, but when there's no wildcard, there's also no margin for error.

Analysis

The Madison Renaissance continues.

Analysis

Sorry about the Tigers.

Analysis

DO NOT PLATOON RAFAEL FURCAL WITH PABLO SANDOVAL!

Analysis

Note to other owners: Doby is not a good bet.

Analysis

Panic time? No! You still have nine game lead with nine weeks to go. Relax.

Analysis

Still rolling. And no, I'm not sure why Yoshida always comes in when McDowell starts.

Analysis

The law of averages comes down on your team like a hammer.

Analysis

Unlike the Giants, there's no miracle escape for the Goose Eggs.

Leaders and Standings

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Yeah my team is just 5 games behind the pythag. It's bad luck or a bad bullpen. I cannot really do much to address this, but I'm going to go with:

Move Jeff Reardon to Middle Relief - if he's just getting unlucky he probably doesn't deserve this.

Promote Jeff Montgomery to setup man

Promote Phil Coke to SR.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
RYAN BRAUN WHY WON'T YOU HIT?!? :argh:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Buddy Bell is back in the lineup, Ron Cey is sent to AAA. Also I guess you can put Ken Williams back in the lineup at DH over George Bell. If you want to.

I still want Bob Welches, and will be willing to move bench bats for a Welch and other bench bats!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 29, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

No Furcal, then!

On the other hand, until I can start butchering Sweeney for parts to replace Posey's breakages, let's do the next best thing and have him actually play for a while so Squire Bustron can lie down for a week.

A nine game lead in nine weeks is totally surmountable. Mount away, guys.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Replace Jack Lapp with Bengie Molina and have Molina do all the personal catching jobs Lapp had.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Have Jeter the somewhat younger go back to starting, sending Jeter the old back to the bench. I'll leave Giles in there awhile longer, but let's switch him and Hamilton in the batting order.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Let's rest Ramirez for a week and start Pee Wee Reese.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Don't worry, the next Expansion Cup update will come soon.

Smasher League Week 18 Injury Report

No new champions

Juneau Juggernauts
Mike Flanagan (SP) (Beaten by a group of Foxx-Supremacists) - 11 days

Rated R Superstars
Ivan Rodriguez (C) (This) - 44 days
Derek Jeter (SS) (Might as well just watch video again) - Out for Season

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Also, I am moved by your potential plight of losing two teams in a single season. I might be able to do something for you about that.

I like the sound of this, who do you want dead? [Jean Reno]No women, no kids.[/Jean Reno]

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Don't worry, the next Expansion Cup update will come soon.

Smasher League Week 18 Injury Report

No new champions

Juneau Juggernauts
Mike Flanagan (SP) (Beaten by a group of Foxx-Supremacists) - 11 days

Rated R Superstars

By the way, my pitchers should be replaced with, like, Webb and Greinke and whoever makes sense. This is the swan song anyways

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Simulating the next month of EC now. I'm not worried about my team losing the Series, I'm worried that the loving Yankees passed on some loving curse or something that caused us to be swept after sweeping them. Ah well. I'll be able to order my AL Champs ring next year when they become available and rest assured, that'll be some sweet solace. So will watching Valverde leave.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I know I missed the Smasher League sim, but in case I lose power for a while, I'll make the changes now:

Rickey, Larkin, Rolfe back to LF/SS/3B respectively - Giles to DH, Henrich to RF, Ortiz to the bench. Send Dick Allen back down and call up Chet Lemon to be 4OF. Man, Mogul just hates young Allen, huh?

DL Schilling. If Joe Williams can go for Schill, slide him up there, and Dazzy Vance to fifth. If not, use Vance third. Rijo up to fill in at LR.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

I keep forgetting to put Grich back in at 2B. I'd also like Don Baylor in right, if his defense isn't any worse there than I expect (bad, but not awful, and no worse than Baines).

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

EC Injury Update #2

Billy Pierce - Albany Pessimists - 96 days
Dan Wheeler - Philadelphia Failures - 252 days (season ending)
Nate Robertson - Seattle Suicides - 14 days
Frank Smith - Oneida Spooners - 23 days
Pudge Rodriguez - Seattle Suicides - 16 days
Daniel Hudson - Spokane Air Raids - 13 days
Babe Herman - Web 2.0 Bloggers BETA - 10 days
Minnie Minoso - Albany Pessimists - 31 days
Cole Hamels - Wausau Woodchucks - 191 days (season ending)
Steve Carlton - New Orleans Mashers - 33 days
Freddie Fitzsimmons - Albany Pessimists - 147 days
Jered Weaver - Spokane Air Raids - 116 days
Nap Lajoie - Wausau Woodchucks - 35 days
Lefty O'Doul - Wausau Woodchucks - 17 days
Garry Maddox - Hartford Whalers - 35 days
Wally Joyner - Catalina 2 Fish 1 Bubble - 13 days
Carl Crawford - Venice Beach Surf - 14 days
Ty Cobb - Norfolk Splinter Cells - 8 days
Scott Sanderson - Florida Dickshots - 28 days
Kent Hrbek - Web 2.0 Bloggers BETA - 16 days

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

All right, damnit. Take Whitehill out of my bullpen and make him my fifth starter with Smith out.

New Starting Rotation until Smith returns:
SP1 Ed Walsh (R)
SP2 Hooks Dauss (R)
SP3 Doc White (L)
SP4 Paul Splittorff (L)
SP5 Earl Whitehill (L)

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

cbx posted:

EC Injury Update #2

Cole Hamels - Wausau Woodchucks - 191 days (season ending)
Nap Lajoie - Wausau Woodchucks - 35 days
Lefty O'Doul - Wausau Woodchucks - 17 days

Shift Oswalt into Hamels' spot in the rotation, have Utley play 2B and Howard play 1B full-time while LaJoie's out, and have Shoeless Joe move to LF and Shane Victorino take over in CF for the duration of O'Doul's.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

cbx posted:

EC Injury Update #2

Babe Herman - Web 2.0 Bloggers BETA - 10 days
Kent Hrbek - Web 2.0 Bloggers BETA - 16 days

So I spent all that time whining about a 1B/RF not being on my roster and then my 1B and RF both got injured? I like the cut of your jib, cbx.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Rated R Superstars

Sigh, other owners, to mIRC! By your powers combined, we are an illegal cartel.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Mornacale posted:

So I spent all that time whining about a 1B/RF not being on my roster and then my 1B and RF both got injured? I like the cut of your jib, cbx.

Don't worry. If I really wanted to mess with ya, they'd both be Out for Season. ;)

I don't manipulate injuries past the 6 day date though. And I don't have any personal vendettas vs. anyone. If I did, the Woodchucks would all be dead. (JUST KIDDING BRUISER)

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

cbx posted:

EC Injury Update #2
Scott Sanderson - Florida Dickshots - 28 days

Well, keep Sanderson on the DL I guess :v:

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Daulton in for Ted Simmons this week, then Daulton becomes Cy Young's personal catcher (take two!). Rolen and Olerud back in at 3B and 1B respectively. Snider comes back in at CF, Moseby to DH. Delahanty goes to SS for the week, give Cabrera a much needed week off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Dynamo League Week 18: The Life and Death of Denny Rainwater

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

POSTMODERNISTS MOVE WITHIN ONE OF IC TITLE AS RAINWATER SAVE GAME

Polyarny- Could there be any crueler end to the Saints' Intercontinental Title run?

Imagine, if you will, the fate of the team should they lose tomorrow's game. The Saints, who have demanded respect from other owners so many times, being taken down at least partly due to Denny Rainwater, by far the worst player to ever play in the Super-League.

Today, down only three, the Saints had a chance to end the Postmodernists' hopes of capturing the Intercontinental Title with a ninth inning rally. Instead, the went down meekly in the bottom of the ninth, managing only a single hit against the eminently hittable Denny Rainwater.

The Postmodernists celebrated the win in the only way they could think of, having their players form themselves into a kind of 'living throne', and then having Denny Rainwater sit atop them. This either symbolized the bizarrely high esteem in which owner NotThatSamBeckett holds Denny Rainwater, or evidence of his growing insanity that threatens to consume the team whole. Perhaps both.

Senerio, however, wasn't ready to hand over the Intercontinental Title, "You act like the Postmodernists already have this thing won. I have been the Intercontinental Champion for six weeks, and I deserve respect. Acting like the series is over when we haven't played tomorrow's game is not showing me the proper amount of respect. Tomorrow, we are going to get back into that stadium, we are going to beat the Postmodernists, and then we are going to march out of this frozen wasteland with the Intercontinental Title, and there's nothing that you, or any of these drunken, Russian losers can do to stop me."

Box Score

Don May posted:

POSTMODERNISTS WIN IC TITLE 7-2, ORANGES LOOM

Polyarny- The Postmodernists, for the second time, have become the Intercontinental Smasher League Champions.

In general, it has been a lost season for the Postmodernists, who are already effectively out of the playoff race with eight weeks left in the season. Up until today, the only real bright spot in their season has been winning the Intercontinental Championship earlier in the season.

Now they have two bright spots.

The Saints completed a three-game collapse today, losing by five runs, and the two runs they did score came in the ninth inning, well after the game had been decided.

The Postmodernists celebrated the title win by erecting a 1:10 scale model of Shakespeare's Globe Theater, which they then destroyed with a flamethrower. Quite what this was supposed to symbolize is unknown, as the performance was interrupted by oldskool, owner of the Oranges, who ran in from the field with a microphone in hand, "Finally, after weeks and weeks of waiting....it is time for the Intercontinental Championship to return to Florida! Now the oldskool has heard that you Postmodernists have got a guy named Denny Rainwater who is your closer. I just want you to know that by the time the Oranges are through with him, he's going to be called Denny Pisswater, because oldskool's team is going to drink him up and then piss him up all over your stadium. Because that's what happens when you kick it ooooooooooooooooldskool!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

ORANGES BREAK DENNY RAINWATER, WIN 10-5

Polyarny- Rainwater giveth, and Rainwater taketh away.

The game was tied 4-4 in the top of the ninth. Then Denny Rainwater came in. A few minutes later, the score was 10-5 and the game was over.

As for what in between, it is a memory best left repressed, as the Oranges launched hit after hit against the overmatched reliever, seeking to destroy his spirit in the process. With the win, the Oranges now move within one game of winning their third Intercontinental Championship.

The Postmodernists, as is tradition, staged an elaborate performance piece after the loss, attaching Denny Rainwater to an pyre mounted atop an ice floe, and then simultaneously lighting it on fire and setting it adrift.

oldskool also had something to say, "And now, it's time for oldskool to...wait, hold the gently caress on! Did they just Denny Rainwater? Holy gently caress! It's just a game, and this is all just braggadocio, I certainly never intended for anyone to die because of it! I mean, the Intercontinental Title doesn't even really mean anything! You can't just kill someone over it! Okay, okay, hold on, there's still time to save him, let's get like a motorboat or something. poo poo, you know what, I was never here, I didn't see anything, I don't know what happened to Denny Rainwater. Goodbye." oldskool then sprinted into a waiting car and ordered the driver to speed off.

Box Score

Don May posted:

ORANGES WIN INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE WITH 5-3 WIN

Polyarny- The Oranges won the Intercontinental, proving once and for all that a team with Barry Bonds and Albert Pujols is better than one that routinely starts Joe Kelley at first base.

Both starters' pitched decently given the circumstances, with both Kevin Brown and Noodles the Pitcher allowing three runs each. What ultimately gave the Oranges' their win was their superior bullpen, which delivering four innings of scoreless relief that the Postmodernists could not match.

oldskool, still rattled by yesterday's events, accepted the Intercontinental title after the game, "Hey, Denny Rainwater turned up at some point after that last game, right? I mean, they didn't really set him adrift on a flaming ice floe, right? ...So no one's seen him since then? And he wasn't in today's game? gently caress. Okay, let's get our stories straight, man, because I cannot go down for this. I just can't-"

Senerio, whose Saints lost the Intercontinental Championship earlier this week, re-appeared. "oldskool, you may have beaten the Postmodernists, but we both know that you won't be the real Intercontinental Champion until you face me, that's why, next week, I demand-"

He was then interrupted by oldskool, "You want a series next week? Fine, listen, Senerio, I don't have time for this poo poo! Denny Rainwater is loving dead, and it's only a matter of time until indictments start getting handed down, and I've got to get out of Russia, okay? Also, your suck and your team sucks, and your town sucks, and whatever other perfunctory bullshit I have to get out of the way before next week."

The Polyarny Municipal Police Department later announced that no charges will be filed for the death of Denny Rainwater as, according to the chief, "Denny came to this town from the sea, and to the sea he has returned. Like water itself, he flows in an endless cycle of life, death, and rebirth. He is gone from us now, but he will return someday, to blow many more saves with his 85 mph fastball. And until that day, we will wait for him."

Box Score

Numbers: Ted Williams Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Analysis

Granted, the Dervishes are a tough draw, but if you had won a couple of those game, you could have made up some ground on the Bangers.

Also, as nifty as Waner's and Traynor's performances have been, I guess I'm still a bit concerned that they have a combined 20 walks in roughly a season's worth of games between them.

Analysis

At least Matlack is about ready to come back to take some of the pressure off of your rotation.

Analysis

I used to have a friend who liked Mission of Burma. I'm not sure what that has to do with your team, other than I think of them whenever I read your team name.

I still don't understand why 3B is such a black hole for you, though.

Analysis

You won't even try Valenzuela in place of Nehf?

Analysis

Still rolling.

Analysis

Back to work:

Analysis

Another disappointing week, in that you weren't able to get the titles back.

But you do get another chance next week.

Analysis

Back to .500! Detective Don Slaught will not let this case/season go!

Analysis

Still dead!

Analysis

Alas, poor Denny Rainwater, we hardly knew ye.

Analysis

You have to get it together. If you can't get back in the race soon, it'll be the Gauntlet for you.

Analysis

So...uh...sorry.

Analysis

If the season ended today, the Generics would survive to another season. Unfortunately, we've still got eight weeks left.

Analysis

It would take a nuclear strike to dislodge them from first place.

Analysis

You'll get another title shot next week at least.

Analysis

A bit of bounce, but I'm not sure that much is going to come of it.

Standings and Leaders

Playoff/Gauntlet Picture