Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

iTrust posted:

The thing with The Bee, in particular any version that isn't Level 50, is that you trade massive amounts of survivability for extra damage. This isn't so huge with the Level 50 version due to it having such a low recharge delay, and the capability of adding 50k damage to each bullet.

Yeah, I'd say the pre-50 Bee is balanced. I used it through the 30s but around 40ish it had to go, giving up that much shield is just too much. It turns everything you do into a bullet hell game. It's outstanding for large bosses that take a lot of hits from a multiple projectile shotgun, but isn't really a big deal for anything else if you keep your guns current.

At the cap I've been having fun with it, but I'm guessing it only goes from very good to game breaking in multiplayer or vs the raid bosses? With good purple or legendary guns pretty much all the trash dies in a burst or two without The Bee, bosses/badasses melt pretty quick too. It could use some toning down as the devs have said, but it's nowhere near the "I win" button a few posters like to make it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I found a 69,000 HP turtle shield yesterday, which is the highest capacity shield I have found aside from the Fabled Tortoise. Anyone seen a bigger one?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Does a vladof absorb shield just take the bullets shot at you, or does it actually absorb the damage as well? I'm on the fence as to whether to spend the time farming for a Sham.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

Does a vladof absorb shield just take the bullets shot at you, or does it actually absorb the damage as well? I'm on the fence as to whether to spend the time farming for a Sham.
Well I mean, same as any other shield it absorbs them in the sense that they do damage to the shield instead of to your hp, right?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Reveilled posted:

Think of it as farming for a nice Bitch and you'll get a few Shams in the process. It's a fun boss to farm anyways. I love bosses that vomit purples and cash all over the place when they die.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure bullets absorbed by an absorb shield do no damage but I'm not 100% on that.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

I'm pretty sure bullets absorbed by an absorb shield do no damage but I'm not 100% on that.

Thats how I feel about it too. It's nice because you're basically eliminating a % of damage that you take by using them. Then killing things with their own bullets.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Rokstar posted:

That'd definitely make it a lot more worthwhile to get. I've already got a bitch, so I'm not sure if I want to try for a WTF, a Neogenator or a Sham, since the only slot I have left to fill is my non-bee shield for dealing with other enemies, and both sound nice but I'm unsure about the WTF damaging myself, and unsure about the Sham since I don't run out of ammo very often.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Reveilled posted:

That'd definitely make it a lot more worthwhile to get. I've already got a bitch, so I'm not sure if I want to try for a WTF, a Neogenator or a Sham, since the only slot I have left to fill is my non-bee shield for dealing with other enemies, and both sound nice but I'm unsure about the WTF damaging myself, and unsure about the Sham since I don't run out of ammo very often.

The WTF is garbage, it does more damage to you than to your enemies. Neogenetor has a tiny capacity, and the Sham is kinda "meh" too.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Reveilled posted:

The Sham and other Absorb shields definitely negate the damage you would have taken from the bullet weapon, and adds it to your ammo stock instead. The Sham is utterly fantastic in bandit- or hyperion-heavy areas that involve a lot of gunfire.

I recently got a Sham and combined it with the Norfleet; all the splash damage has the same chance to be absorbed by the Sham and add rockets to your total reserve, allowing you to blow everything up and stay rocket-neutral the entire time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

novaSphere posted:

The Sham and other Absorb shields definitely negate the damage you would have taken from the bullet weapon, and adds it to your ammo stock instead. The Sham is utterly fantastic in bandit- or hyperion-heavy areas that involve a lot of gunfire.

I recently got a Sham and combined it with the Norfleet; all the splash damage has the same chance to be absorbed by the Sham and add rockets to your total reserve, allowing you to blow everything up and stay rocket-neutral the entire time.

Hmm, Maybe I should keep the Transformer I found equipped after all... its trait of converting electrical attacks to shield health is pretty situational, (although it's nice to just walk into an ION Loader's shield bubble and have it keep angrily healing you, as well as finally telling Badass Shock Skags to gently caress off) but it's the highest absorb rate shield I have right now. Have to be on the lookout for a better absorb shield.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
I rented this game from redbox for two days. I have played the original as a soldier up to the level cap, played the dlc and really enjoyed it. I don't have a job at the moment, so I couldn't afford to buy it. Also, i only play single player. Anyways, i was kinda disappointed. I mean, as I was playing it I felt like I should be impressed but I just wasn't. I wonder if that is because I played so much of the first one. It's a perfectly competent game, but it's almost exactly like BL1. Flaws and all. Also, who thought bonerfarts was funny? It's just stupid.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Glug_Glug posted:

I rented this game from redbox for two days. I have played the original as a soldier up to the level cap, played the dlc and really enjoyed it. I don't have a job at the moment, so I couldn't afford to buy it. Also, i only play single player. Anyways, i was kinda disappointed. I mean, as I was playing it I felt like I should be impressed but I just wasn't. I wonder if that is because I played so much of the first one. It's a perfectly competent game, but it's almost exactly like BL1. Flaws and all. Also, who thought bonerfarts was funny? It's just stupid.

(Shift key is your friend.)

How the gently caress did you hit level cap in two days? Did you leave the couch? Are your eyes bleeding?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

RagingBoner posted:

(Shift key is your friend.)

How the gently caress did you hit level cap in two days? Did you leave the couch? Are your eyes bleeding?
He said he hit the level cap in the original.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Glug_Glug posted:

but it's almost exactly like BL1. Flaws and all. Also, who thought bonerfarts was funny? It's just stupid.

Juxtaposition and context makes it funny.
:colbert:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Been farming henry for 2 hours trying to get the Raz0r head for Zero, started with 8 eridium and I have like 80 now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

JackDarko posted:

Been farming henry for 2 hours trying to get the Raz0r head for Zero, started with 8 eridium and I have like 80 now.

One minor change I wish they'd add is the same auto pickup for Eridium that cash and ammo have. I bought everything I could and maxed out on Eridium by the end of my first play through, now it's just waste distracting from potentially good purples.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

BGrifter posted:

One minor change I wish they'd add is the same auto pickup for Eridium that cash and ammo have. I bought everything I could and maxed out on Eridium by the end of my first play through, now it's just waste distracting from potentially good purples.

I keep getting drat purple SMG's. I just wish they'd let you set guns of a certain rarity to automatic trash in your inventory.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The biggest change between 1 and 2 for me (other than fixing many technical problems) is how much more varied and full of personality the weapon manufacturers are.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Agreed, Samurai Sanders. Each manufacturer has its own actually distinct special flare and weapon design even when they borrow parts from other manufacturers. In BL1, most guns felt the same even with their distinctions. In this game, when I find a Dahl, I know it has burst fire when scoped. When I find a Tediore, I get a gun-shaped handgrenade. When I find a Torgue I know I'm getting MOTHERFUCKING EXPLOSIONS AND SWEET RACE CAR PAINT!

I felt the writing was much better in this game as well. There were some funny parts in 1, but poo poo was spot on this time around.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I just realized something. Roland is a former vault hunter, which means his biometric data is still probably saved in the New-U stations. Why isn't he just reconstructed when he dies? For that matter, why isn't Jack?

Maybe I'm just reading too much into the story.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Rokstar posted:

You know, I just realized something. Roland is a former vault hunter, which means his biometric data is still probably saved in the New-U stations. Why isn't he just reconstructed when he dies? For that matter, why isn't Jack?

Didn't you hear all the things the New-U machine says?
"So long as you believe in yourself, nothing can TRULY kill you! Except Handsome Jack."

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 29, 2012

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh god. I've started farming for 50 legendaries with specific prefixes. This way madness lies. (to be fair I just want something better than 50% melee damage on everything, but still)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pitchford retweeted my pumpkin a couple hours ago. I feel as if my life is complete. Or something.

Here's my Borderumpkin! http://t.co/ZUStYYEV

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

The Rokstar posted:

All hail the mighty power of the cutscene death. No hero, nor villain can escape its icy embrace. Seriously, same crap happens in a lot of games (and other media). You're going through the game, then someone dies in a cutscene and you're all "what? But everyone else just comes the gently caress on back to life when you cast Resurrect!" or "Did the bad guy forget to visit the Vita-Chamber before we rumbled?" But it's to no avail. That fucker is dead as a doornail.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

The Rokstar posted:

He said he hit the level cap in the original.

Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. I made it to, um, just passed the fortress thing were I'm trying to save Roland. I played as the commando.

It really is a great game, and is actually very well written except for some small moments(Bonerfarts). Handsome Jack is a great main villian for a video game. I think everyone hates him and wants him dead, but he is also very funny. Actually reminds me of Archer a bit.

The guns seem more interesting then in the first. I got a legendary pistol from Baron Flynt that did electricity damage. I used that thing until I was level 12. I only just found a replacement for it by the time I took the game back to the redbox. I like that each manufacture is actually different and useful for different strategies. I don't like the over abundance of pistols early on, but that seem to lessen the further I got into the game.

I can go on forever listing the things I like about the game. They've done everything you can expect and want in a Borderlands sequel yet I can't help but be faintly disappointed. It just feels like Borderlands Again, you know? It's kinda weird, I guess I burnt myself out playing so much of the first. I'm sure a year from now I'll be really excited to play through it, especially with all the dlc that will be out by then.

Bonerfarts still isn't funny, though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Glug_Glug posted:

It really is a great game, and is actually very well written except for some small moments(Bonerfarts). Handsome Jack is a great main villian for a video game. I think everyone hates him and wants him dead, but he is also very funny. Actually reminds me of Archer a bit.

Fun fact that somebody mentioned in the previous thread: When Gearbox was coming up with the dialogue for Handsome Jack, they had Jon Benjamin (the voice of Archer) in mind to do it. They went for somebody else though. Considering the Handsome Jack that we got however, I think it was the right decision.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Primal_Glug posted:

Bonerfarts still isn't funny, though.
You seem pretty angry over a throwaway joke that lasts for five whole kills before going back to normal.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 29, 2012

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

You seem pretty angry over a throwaway joke that lasts for five whole kills before going back to normal.

If you never turn the quest in, they remain as Bonerfarts/Bonertoots forever!!! :neckbeard:

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Poala Bear posted:

If you never turn the quest in, they remain as Bonerfarts/Bonertoots forever!!! :neckbeard:

WHAT

PL2 can't start soon enough! Speaking of that, I'm kinda wondering when it will, I'm on an all sidequests first play through with Axton and it's taking forever. I feel like I'm hitting a wall, especially on Hyperion areas--I had good corrosive damage from 14-24 off of a Tiny Tina reward and the Octo and now I feel like my gear is just not keeping up with me. Up to my eyeballs in Shock. Is there good gear hunting anywhere or should I just power through?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Poala Bear posted:

Until you kill about 5 of them.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Captain McStabbin posted:

Until you kill about 5 of them.

It's worth the effort to fight King Boner and Donkey Boner :colbert:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

The Rokstar posted:

I think the implication is that, after getting what he wanted from them, Jack erased the old Vault Hunters' data from the Hyperion system so he could kill them for good. Unfortunately, they're good, so they lasted 5 years of attempts to kill them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Once people are reaching level 50 are they just going around and collecting level 50 versions of all their favorite weapons, or what?

edit: I just got Moxxi's Good Touch. Uh...yeah.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Aaronicon posted:

It's worth the effort to fight King Boner and Donkey Boner :colbert:

I was curious about that and didn't accept the quest in TVHM until I had Eridium Blight access. Demong, King Mong, and Donkey Mong don't get name changes but its hilarious to see a "Super Badass Bonerfart" throwing rocks at you.

Also, even after I killed 5 bonerfart named Bullymongs they stayed named as bonerfarts even when I killed ones in different zones until I finally returned to Hammerlock and turned it in.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Haha those stupid Ion Loaders with their stupid shields?

Run inside the shield and drop one of those grenades that spawn child grenades and back away expectantly. The shield keeps stuff in!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/375086/borderlands-2-under-threat-of-graveyard-virus/

Watch out 360 players, a nasty glitch/exploit/virus is infecting save files which basically prevents you from respawning, effectively making your character unplayable after death.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Does anyone have any non-elemental Bitches, Conference Calls, or other nice legendaries? I'm playing Axton and I want to make the most of Duty Calls, and I also just flat out don't care for elemental stuff :v:

I have a Sham and a Corrosive Conference Call to trade (both Level 50). GT: a Duttle

GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

CG: Boggle vacantly at these shenanigans.

Judge Tesla posted:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/375086/borderlands-2-under-threat-of-graveyard-virus/

Watch out 360 players, a nasty glitch/exploit/virus is infecting save files which basically prevents you from respawning, effectively making your character unplayable after death.

If this is actually the remnant of a lost hardcore mode, that'd be pretty cool, but right now it is a serious worry! Gearbox is aware of it and they're pushing a patch through, but who knows how long it'll take to hit.

I don't know if it's related or what, but I tried moving a second character to the Cloud and ended up losing the first character stored on there entirely. (No big, just my level 30 Siren that I'd just beaten the game with. :() I'm still new to this cloud storage thing so it's possible I screwed up something, but the characters were different classes, different levels, and different names, so I don't know what happened. I've got a ticket open with Gearbox, but until then, keep an eye out, I guess? Don't be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
"Bonerfarts" isn't funny. "Bonertoots" is loving hilarious, and I love the fact that one of the funnier things in the game is a throwaway joke someone might never see.

• Locked thread