Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Have any of you guys ever ordered movies from Family Video? I was wondering if they're alright to buy from. It seems they're selling the Hitchcock set for 174.99 which is 50 bucks cheaper than Amazon last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Have any of you guys ever ordered movies from Family Video? I was wondering if they're alright to buy from. It seems they're selling the Hitchcock set for 174.99 which is 50 bucks cheaper than Amazon last I checked.

Yeah, they're fine. They are a pretty big chain in the (?)Midwest.

I got my Texas Chainsaw Massacre I sold you from there.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

CPL593H posted:

If you're okay with losing North by Northwest, you should get the UK set it's only 90 pounds (About 145 USD/CAD)and is region free. That price includes shipping.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 28, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Safe Driver posted:

If you're okay with losing North by Northwest, you should get the UK set it's only 90 pounds (About 145 USD/CAD)and is region free. That price includes shipping.

I'm not okay with losing North By Northwest. And that blu-ray on its own is pretty expensive, so I don't mind paying a little extra for the US set.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I got all the Mad Men seasons last year so I hope season 5 gets some kind of black friday discount.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sporadic posted:

Yeah, they're fine. They are a pretty big chain in the (?)Midwest.

Yeah, definitely at least the Midwest.

I have fond memories of Family Video from when I was 14 or 15. Any films older than 10 years were $.50 each to rent for three days. I spent one summer just renting 10 Shaw Brothers films at a time and having them on in the background, watching all the James Bond movies over the course of a week, etc. Was a pretty great way to knock that stuff out before Netflix.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 29, 2012

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Best Buy has some good prices on horror blu-rays right now. I picked up Misery, Carrie, Halloween and Silence of the Lambs for $5 each. They had the other Halloween movies as well, plus Young Frankenstein. Scream and Nightmare on Elm Street were $8. That's just off the top of my head.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 29, 2012

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I'm not okay with losing North By Northwest. And that blu-ray on its own is pretty expensive, so I don't mind paying a little extra for the US set.
Just import the UK version of North By Northwest alongside the Hitchcock box, then? It's not a bad price.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Source Code - $6.99 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XQO90E...84XNWF2WS0B9HZP

- edit Knowing (with Nic Cage) is the same price

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GCUNZI...PX8NAE5S4CK20NA

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 29, 2012

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Olive Films announced The Quiet Man for January 22. New 4K restoration from the original 3-strip negatives. Only extras are a half-hour making of and a booklet.

FYI, Robert Harris (guy who restored Vertigo and Rear Window back in the 1990s) put up ratings for all 13 new Hitchcock Blu releases from Universal. All on a 0-5 scale (video first, audio second)

Saboteur: 4.5 / 5.0
Shadow of a Doubt: 4.5 / 5.0
Rope: 3 / 4.5 (color isn't great)
Rear Window: 4 / 4.5 (DVNR artifacts in opening credits and a few problem shots)
The Trouble with Harry: 4 / 4.5
The Man Who Knew Too Much '55: 2 / 4.5 (color fading issues uncorrected)
Vertigo: 4 / 4.5 (see below)
The Birds: 4.25 / 5
Marnie: 3 / 5 (color is "outstanding" but not sharp)
Torn Curtain: 4.5 / 5
Topaz: 4 / 5
Frenzy: 3.5 / 4 (edge enhancement - original credits intact)
Family Plot: .75 / 5 (horrible image quality)

Harris apparently had some input on Vertigo, which is a fresh 4K scan from the original negative... instead of the restored duplicate negative, which had numerous shots with color fading issues corrected and built in. From what it seems, the color and sharpness is generally excellent, but some parts are just not as good as they could have been. The new 5.1 remix also seems to be a gigantic improvement over the 5.1 mix on previous issues.

Overall, the best movies in the set - Shadow of a Doubt, Rear Window, Vertigo, and The Birds are generally very good or excellent. I don't think a lot of people are going to lose sleep over The Man... and Family Plot being wrecks, but it's a pity they were not given the same attention as Vertigo (rescanned at 4K) and The Birds (4K from a new restoration). The Man... was fairly atrocious on DVD, but generally due to poor image quality than color.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 30, 2012

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sporadic posted:

One of these is not like the other...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Source Code is listed at 24.95.

Egbert Souse posted:

Olive Films announced The Quiet Man for January 22. New 4K restoration from the original 3-strip negatives. Only extras are a half-hour making of and a booklet.

FYI, Robert Harris (guy who restored Vertigo and Rear Window back in the 1990s) put up ratings for all 13 new Hitchcock Blu releases from Universal. All on a 0-5 scale (video first, audio second)

Saboteur: 4.5 / 5.0
Shadow of a Doubt: 4.5 / 5.0
Rope: 3 / 4.5 (color isn't great)
Rear Window: 4 / 4.5 (DVNR artifacts in opening credits and a few problem shots)
The Trouble with Harry: 4 / 4.5
The Man Who Knew Too Much '55: 2 / 4.5 (color fading issues uncorrected)
Vertigo: 4 / 4.5 (see below)
The Birds: 4.25 / 5
Marnie: 3 / 5 (color is "outstanding" but not sharp)
Torn Curtain: 4.5 / 5
Topaz: 4 / 5
Frenzy: 3.5 / 4 (edge enhancement - original credits intact)
Family Plot: .75 / 5 (horrible image quality)

Harris apparently had some input on Vertigo, which is a fresh 4K scan from the original negative... instead of the restored duplicate negative, which had numerous shots with color fading issues corrected and built in. From what it seems, the color and sharpness is generally excellent, but some parts are just not as good as they could have been. The new 5.1 remix also seems to be a gigantic improvement over the 5.1 mix on previous issues.

Overall, the best movies in the set - Shadow of a Doubt, Rear Window, Vertigo, and The Birds are generally very good or excellent. I don't think a lot of people are going to lose sleep over The Man... and Family Plot being wrecks, but it's a pity they were not given the same attention as Vertigo (rescanned at 4K) and The Birds (4K from a new restoration). The Man... was fairly atrocious on DVD, but generally due to poor image quality than color.

Are these movies going to be sold individually at some point?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 31, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
- edit More price drops.

The Lookout - $3.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054QHGYI...R9G8YDJHF38GAN1
Becoming Jane - $3.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Q7UGLA...M1MVR0VFV98WRY6
The Hurt Locker - $6.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00275EGX8...FM9Y2CPYP38F55M

----------

Phantoms/Darkness/Venom triple pack is $7.99 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AFC236...E6NZQ14F3DHGPDC

CPL593H posted:

Source Code is listed at 24.95.

Amazon sold out and than raised their price to $16.95 (the main thing being listed now is a third party seller, you can see Amazon's price if you look at "More Buying Choices" in the right hand corner under add to cart)

CPL593H posted:

Are these movies going to be sold individually at some point?

I imagine they will be eventually but Universal is pretty slow on that account (Back To The Future/Jurassic Park and other boxsets have yet to get standalone releases)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 31, 2012

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Any online retailers that beat Amazon on price for the Bond 50 boxset? Is there a chance it'll go on sale as we get closer to Xmas?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Blu-Ray.com posted their review of Heaven's Gate.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heavens-Gate-Blu-ray/53150/#Review

They loved it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sucks that a film with such gorgeous cinematography would get such a crap cover but man, color me intrigued.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hey, has anyone heard anything about that blu-ray of the 1980 Wall concert Roger Waters has been cock teasing the world about? I know its release status is porbably the same as The Whole Bloody Affair, but once in a while he says something new about it. Supposedly they have all the footage and have cleaned it up last I heard.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Wait, there's footage of that?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wait, there's footage of that?

Yes. During the 2010 Roger Waters Wall Tour he used a clip from it during Mother. You can also find bits and pieces of it on youtube. Around the time of the 2010 tour he mentioned in a few interviews that he was working on a blu-ray release of one of the London shows. Apparently he'd found a whole lot of footage that was thought to be lost/non-existant. Although, it's been rumored that it was never lost and he just sat on it for thirty years.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Deadwood: The Complete Series is down to $59.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00129AJFO...ZJCAXC4D9RXH869

CPL593H posted:

Hey, has anyone heard anything about that blu-ray of the 1980 Wall concert Roger Waters has been cock teasing the world about? I know its release status is porbably the same as The Whole Bloody Affair, but once in a while he says something new about it. Supposedly they have all the footage and have cleaned it up last I heard.

Didn't he also film the Dark Side Of The Moon tour he did a few years ago?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Didn't he also film the Dark Side Of The Moon tour he did a few years ago?

I think so.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If anyone wanted to take advantage of that $5.99 sale for Source Code on Amazon but missed it, Best Buy is advertising the same deal. They also have Kick rear end and Rambo (4) at the same price.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Are HBO ever going to release The Wire? The DVDs look like poo poo.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Combatant posted:

Instant purchase.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Drive dropped to $9.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064NTZJO...EBKHZRV99JST5WP

Lizard Combatant posted:

If I remember right, they protected for 16:9 for the first three seasons before David Simon decided that it should be 4:3 permanently

And there's no existing HD master so HBO would have to rescan/reedit everything.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sporadic posted:

Drive dropped to $9.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064NTZJO...EBKHZRV99JST5WP

If I remember right, they protected for 16:9 for the first three seasons before David Simon decided that it should be 4:3 permanently

And there's no existing HD master so HBO would have to rescan/reedit everything.

I'm all for 4:3, TNG looks great. Shame about the lack of a good master, is that why the DVDs look so crummy too? Still, HBO should feel indebted to The Wire and give it the proper treatment, it's not like it wouldn't sell either.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The whole 'It needs to be standard definition, 4:3 and shot on film to make it feel real' excuse of Simon's annoys me so much. Keep your aspect ratio, but don't say it needs to be SD for realism because that's utter nonsense and you certainly don't shoot on film if that's the intended effect.

I was hoping he'd realise he was talking out of his rear end after doing Treme, but no news is bad news I guess.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A Prophet is $7.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BWP3UM...N58RR2A9A7W6T5V

The pHo posted:

The whole 'It needs to be standard definition, 4:3 and shot on film to make it feel real' excuse of Simon's annoys me so much. Keep your aspect ratio, but don't say it needs to be SD for realism because that's utter nonsense and you certainly don't shoot on film if that's the intended effect.

I was hoping he'd realise he was talking out of his rear end after doing Treme, but no news is bad news I guess.

I don't think he said anything about it having the be SD. Pretty sure they just edited in SD and, since there is no syndication, there's nothing giving them a reason to reedit/do a new transfer like Star Trek.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there anything wrong with the Jurassic Park trilogy blu-ray from the UK? I just ordered it and got it in, but quickly noticed it the UK Edition that is cheaper and without some pointless foldout artwork behind the discs (which I don't really care about).But just wondering if there any issues with this version and if the movies have any annoying things like cutting out random headbutts.

Speaking of the UK versions, is it worth getting the Harry Potter movies from there? Since Amazon.UK tends to be cheaper and at least then I don't have to deal with the Sorcerer's Stone name change.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 5, 2012

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Hooray, Typing of the Dead is back! I missed this one when it was done as a part of the main stream.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Rirse posted:

Is there anything wrong with the Jurassic Park trilogy blu-ray from the UK? I just ordered it and got it in, but quickly noticed it the UK Edition that is cheaper and without some pointless foldout artwork behind the discs (which I don't really care about).But just wondering if there any issues with this version and if the movies have any annoying things like cutting out random headbutts.
No, Universal tends to use the same transfer for all regions. The Jurassic Park trilogy is identical between the US and UK, as is Back To The Future.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rirse posted:

Is there anything wrong with the Jurassic Park trilogy blu-ray from the UK?

It features two lovely movies.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Triple pack of Braveheart/Gladiator/Saving Private Ryan is $24.96

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008F2823C...NMX14N4W0G8Q67Z

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm all for 4:3, TNG looks great. Shame about the lack of a good master, is that why the DVDs look so crummy too? Still, HBO should feel indebted to The Wire and give it the proper treatment, it's not like it wouldn't sell either.

How do the DVDs look crummy? I haven't watched them in a while, but I never remember them looking bad.

Plus, I think it's one of those things where The Wire does have a large presence online, at least in all the corners I go to, but that presence is probably not enough to justify putting the work into a Blu Ray. Especially when that Blu Ray would probably cost $150-200 for all of the seasons, which would probably be a price range some/most of the potential buyers would not be able to justify. I bought the DVD boxset "on sale" for around $70-80.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Patton, fixed at last

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Double dipping on a TV series for the first time ever. Of course The Wire would easily be a double-dip too. Thanks for the heads up!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

some dipshit posting a user review posted:

Oh well. The DNR haters have gotten what they wanted. I hope they enjoy this grain filled edition. I'm happy with the previous edition, which looks astounding. I'm not going to jump on the DNR hater bandwagon as it appears my fellow Blu-ray owners will do and buy this edition. No matter what the so called "mainstream" reviewers say from this website and other sites, the previous edition is a keeper for me. I feel I'm part of the silent majority, who want a crystal clear picture image when they watch a Blu-ray rather than a maze of grain distracting from the viewing experiance. I will not change how I feel based on misinformation and ignorance and to be "part of the crowd".

Never change Blu-Ray.com members :911:

------

Blah, get that grainy poo poo out of here. I want the CRYSTAL CLEAR PICTURE IMAGE you lamestream media sheeple just don't understand...

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 6, 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Twin Cinema posted:

How do the DVDs look crummy? I haven't watched them in a while, but I never remember them looking bad.

The season 4 DVDs seem to have some really, really bad video compression compared to the season 1-3 DVDs.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sporadic posted:

Never change Blu-Ray.com members :911:

------

Blah, get that grainy poo poo out of here. I want the CRYSTAL CLEAR PICTURE IMAGE you lamestream media sheeple just don't understand...

It's a well known fact that George C. Scott actually had pasty smooth skin, like a baby's bottom. That's why he played lots of tender roles, like Patton and Scrooge.

The new blu-ray is so dirty that it makes the famous general look like a rough and rugged man who's seen some battle, rather than the pretty boy he really was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The season 4 DVDs seem to have some really, really bad video compression compared to the season 1-3 DVDs.

I remember season 1 looking a bit rubbish too. "Crummy" is probably the better word, "poo poo" is perhaps an exaggeration :v:

• Locked thread