Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
ahaha, oh my gosh. That was awesome. I've always had the impression that Iwata is very passionate about what he does, and this further cements that impression. It's interesting because I feel like some of the other developers that Arino has interviewed and played games with didn't seem to remember a whole lot about their old games and weren't super good at them when playing them, but Iwata charged right in there and put Arino to shame.

Arino's impression of Iwata at the end cracks me up too. Iwata, the soft shacho.........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I definitely thought it was awesome that Iwata was still pretty good at Balloon Fight. I broke out my 3DS while it was rendering and tried to do the 20 balloons; I'm pretty good at the game and I still had trouble getting more than 10. The problem is that you can't miss any and they often pair the balloons up in a way where you really have to make some risky moves to succeed.

Edit: Uh oh, there's that code word again...

The Episode After the Next One... Probably posted:

With unique movements, it tosses the player about.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 28, 2012

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
As per Arino's suggestion, I would totally play a simple NES-style downloadable game made entirely by Iwata.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Random Stranger posted:

(It was only after uploading that I realized the unfortunate coincidence that resulted from how I chose to designate the Nintendo Channel episodes and having seventeen of them...)

Well, now. I'll just be adding this to my folder with the "Takeshi's Castle" episode. I hope to not be disappointed.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Arino acted pretty much how I would react if Satoru freakin' Iwata just walked into the room.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
What a cool mini episode. Wish it was a full hour because I'd love to hear more stories from Iwata about his time at HAL.

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
The Balloon Fight / Iwata interview is one of the most adorable segments I've ever seen on the show! I've been a fan of Iwata for a long time -- HAL is one of my favorite development houses and I really love how he's run Nintendo since becoming president.

Seeing him giggle and laugh while playing Balloon Fight was a real treat. Thank you guys so much for translating it!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know how Japanese game publishers make those games that are supposed to set in the US or Europe and they get the most basic things comically wrong? What if that situation was reversed? Arino finds out when he plays the European developed First Samurai.

This episode is brought to you be the woman whose home country is never misrepresented in video games, it's the distinguished zari-gani!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 608.10 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Ahh, another one. Amazing!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

You know how Japanese game publishers make those games that are supposed to set in the US or Europe and they get the most basic things comically wrong? What if that situation was reversed? Arino finds out when he plays the European developed First Samurai.

This episode is brought to you be the woman whose home country is never misrepresented in video games, it's the distinguished zari-gani!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 608.10 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Man I was looking forward to this one, as its one of the games I played on the amiga when I was a kid. Although I cant remember anything about it apart from it having cool music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd8TobmMQdA
Edit: It appears that the snes version didnt have the same music o well.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 29, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is The first Samurai a prequel to The Last Samurai?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just watched the Iwata clip, cool stuff. Pity they didn't play two-player co-op, but Balloon Trip was always the draw of that game anyway. Of all the 3DS ambassador games I think Balloon Fight is the one I've played the most, and it's all thanks to Balloon Trip.

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Man I was looking forward to this one, as its one of the games I played on the amiga when I was a kid. Although I cant remember anything about it apart from it having cool music.

That's pretty much the quintessential Amiga experience - cool music, forgettable everything else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Is The first Samurai a prequel to The Last Samurai?

Ask Arino about it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

^^ I will. The Last Ninja is a similarly titled and probably equally terrible game with great music.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dynamite Headdy hasn't been translated, has it? (It hasn't, according to the OP.) I remember it got a lot of attention around here some time back, but people must have been watching the raws.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Glad to see another season 10 episode. I love the behind the scenes for the 2nd DS game. I wonder if Donkey Kong Country is coming. I know that zarigani tries to hold off 2 parters unless to finish a season. Can't wait to see DKC.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Hirayuki posted:

Dynamite Headdy hasn't been translated, has it? (It hasn't, according to the OP.) I remember it got a lot of attention around here some time back, but people must have been watching the raws.
Not yet... I think the attention came from the raw when that was uploaded to YouTube or Nico.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Obeast posted:

Not yet... I think the attention came from the raw when that was uploaded to YouTube or Nico.
A bunch of us managed to watch it live back when Freshverse was still streaming. :unsmith:

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Any word on why the "sing whatever you want" segment was cancelled? Lack of interest?

Raife
Feb 2, 2004
Thanks for the posting of so many episodes. I'm really enjoying the little segments they have devoted to the second DS game in the 10th season. It never having a western release is still heart breaking.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

take_it_slow posted:

Any word on why the "sing whatever you want" segment was cancelled? Lack of interest?

I'm not aware of any reason given that the segment was cancelled. They did have one segment that they shot and did not use that turned up in the 24-Hour episode though I can't promise that it wasn't built out of other clips; my memory is hazy and I'm a bit busy to go back and check all of them.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

take_it_slow posted:

No official reason has been stated, but the Japanese fandom speculates lack of interest. The whole thing was rather poorly received.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Putting a continue feature in a game and then only giving 1 continue total with no way to raise it seems pretty cruel.

Mondo!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That was a pretty weird game. The sword swings sort of reminded me of the Super Star Wars games, though.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought the segments only ran for one season (6 to 10 episodes) until a new one was introduced?

zari-gani posted:

No official reason has been stated, but the Japanese fandom speculates lack of interest. The whole thing was rather poorly received.

Boo, that's my favourite segment. :saddowns:

jyrque fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 29, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
My favorite song was the chestnuts one.

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

Bocc Kob posted:

My favorite song was the chestnuts one.

My favorite is "KI-BE!!"

Gets me every drat time :lol:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mayor McCheese posted:

That was a pretty weird game. The sword swings sort of reminded me of the Super Star Wars games, though.

It was always a really weird game, much like every other Amiga port on the SNES/Genesis. I don't know what the hell EU developers were smoking back then. I could never get past the first stage on the Amiga, the whole thing felt like a complete fever dream.

Speaking of which, I really hope Arino gets to challenge Shadow of the Beast someday :allears:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 29, 2012

makere
Jan 14, 2012
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/10/watch_the_translated_gamecentre_cx_vs_iwata_asks_segment_right_here

I have nothing else to add.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

zari-gani posted:

I'm getting the same vibe about the latest "old man Arino" segment" from some very cursory poking around. I never thought any segment lasted longer than a season anyway, though.

I loved the singalong segment too, and "KI~BE~!" is likewise probably my favorite. My son recently got some Sonic DS game from the library, and I sang "KI~BE~!" right along with the startup screen every time.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
You guys are truely awesome for translating First Samurai. That's another episode I've never seen until now and I thank you guys (especially zari) for translating it. That is one bizarre game, but the episode was awesome. :)

Regarding the sing along segment, I actually like the idea, but I can see how the fans lost interest fast since it's kinda hard to come up with really funny jingles set to video game music.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Super Star Wars games
I never thought of it until now, but I would love to see Arino challenge one of them since their notorious for being hard (I dunno if the Japanese versions are any easier). If not, then at least the really strange Famicom Star Wars game made by Namco that never officially left Japan (you can buy a reproduction cart with the translated version, not that it makes the game any less crazy).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFnueE9yBcA

I hate to be one of those people, but we already knew about this when it first aired on Japan's Nintendo Direct and zari was the one who did the translation in almost record time. :shobon:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Are you complaining about something? The only thing I find awkward is 'GameCentre CX'.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Obeast posted:

I hate to be one of those people, but we already knew about this when it first aired on Japan's Nintendo Direct and zari was the one who did the translation in almost record time. :shobon:

Katana Gomai posted:

Are you complaining about something? The only thing I find awkward is 'GameCentre CX'.

Sorry, I didn't mean to complain or anything, I just grinned when I saw GCCX related article on NintendoLife, especially when I noticed it had Z-G subbed episode embedded.

I'll go wash my face and try again.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Katana Gomai posted:

I think giving some credit to where the translation came from, if not Z-G directly then at least the SAGCCX team or at the very least least mentioning the SA forums, would've been nice. I suppose the YT video kind of does that itself but there is honestly zero mention as to who translated it and so on.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I don't mind lack of credit in this case. The Youtube video has it at least. I'm just happy to see all this interest in the interview.

Much of the thanks should go to Random Stranger too. He timed it and released it the same day I translated it, making this our fastest turnaround ever.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

The biggest problem with the segment is that too much of it is reliant on what people write, and how much people write. Even during the Ring Ring Tactics, they still had some problems with getting enough viewer participation at times.

You can definitely tell it wasn't working so well, especially when you see some of the stuff that got on the air, and Arino's reaction to them. There were a few good ones, and this First Samurai episode has a really good one too.

As for the game, it's a perfect 1990s game.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The OCD freak in me loves the fact you guys are plugging the gaps in the earlier seasons.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

Speaking of which, I really hope Arino gets to challenge Shadow of the Beast someday :allears:

Every time I think of that game it reminds me of Lemmings thanks to their homage level (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUfGpvVsIe0). Shadow of the Beast was such a purty game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So what do the staff do when they're not shooting challenges?

Play famicom board games based on Beat Takeshi, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Random Stranger posted:

So what do the staff do when they're not shooting challenges?

Play famicom board games based on Beat Takeshi, of course.

The Virtual Boy sitting there seems really out of place. Have they done anything with it in the show (as I don't see how it could work well with television) or did Kibe blow money on window dressing?

And ever since I heard Ki-beee~ sung to the Sega startup sound, I haven't been able to unhear it. A delight and a treat.