Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

thylacine posted:

Traded my 08 Versys with 30k for this with 10k (even trade, plus $100 for a new set of tires.) I wanted a Sportster but my dad(and money difference, I didn't want to spend anything) talked me into a Japanese bike. And, I test road a C83 and I couldn't stand the way it handled (because it has a giant engine.)

Nice choice! I love the two-tone special editions they do every year, including yours. I have heard that the larger Boulevards can be pretty ungainly, but man can these C50s strike a pretty good balance between around town usability and touring. Gets really buzzy on the freeway though, I might be upgrading to something a bit bigger sometime soon.

Here's mine as she stands today:

Goddamn, I need a new fender. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I don't notice the buzzing. Maybe I'm just used to it from other bikes? I don't know. I see on the Volusia Riders forums a lot of people switch over the drive shaf to something from another bike that lowers the RPMs.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
That bike gets 140 or so to reserve on the highway. I wouldn't bother doing a full shaft swap on it for lower rpms/better mileage because it doesn't pay off much IMO. Guys swap the V-Max drive for a Venture but the V-Max gets 35 mpgs if you're lucky and 100 miles to reserve. If you plan to tour on that I can see making drastic mods for better mileage.

Buzzing and slogging around on the expressway is another thing, but the little bit I was on a C50 I moved up and down from 90mph to pass without the bike breaking a sweat or feeling like it's falling apart.

My rear end didn't mind the trip at all, which for over 100 miles without stopping is about the best review of a stock seat I have. They're really good and well rounded cruisers.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
The only photos I have of it right now. It was amazing (and horrifying) when I first took it home and I smile every time I see it. I'm the 3rd owner at 2500 miles and the seller included almost a full set of black plastics with Trailtech X2 headlight and an almost new set of Distanzias from the first owner. Renthal Fatbars, ProCircuit T4 slip-on which is obnoxiously loud it seems, but I still have the stocker if it turns out to be too much. The previous owner traded the Clarke tank for a tune, but it still seems to pop a lot on decel (my wife says even throws some small flames). It might be just my lovely newbie riding/shifting causing that though. Other than that, I'm ecstatic about my first bike!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Picked up another SV for the herd today:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

follow that camel!! posted:

Not my bike, but the local utility company had an electric motorcycle on display for a few hours. The two models in the brochure claimed a range of 58 miles and 28 miles. The one in the picture has a top speed of around 68, and they take about 2 hours to charge.

So I'm not sure who they're selling these to really. But album here for anyone curious. It was just sitting out, and wasn't a demo or anything, so I have no idea what it sounds like.

Those bikes are actually kinda cool, here's the website for the rest of their lineup.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

New bike day!

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 12, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Best day.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
In the kitchen, no less.

Also I need this bike.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Better believe I'll be adjusting the erogs, sag, and rekluse engagement in the kitchen too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Picked up another toy for the track off a local racer. 1996 Honda RS125 with a bunch of spares and local support from the guy I bought it from. Kid that was racing it is moving up to a Ninja 250, found a cheap used one a few hours after dropping this off at my house.

Moves pretty drat quick on the test ride near the house. Loud, twitchy and runs great. One track day in November scheduled, might sign up for another weekend.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Picked up another toy for the track off a local racer. 1996 Honda RS125 with a bunch of spares and local support from the guy I bought it from. Kid that was racing it is moving up to a Ninja 250, found a cheap used one a few hours after dropping this off at my house.

Moves pretty drat quick on the test ride near the house. Loud, twitchy and runs great. One track day in November scheduled, might sign up for another weekend.

Track day in November sounds amazing, where are you? Went on a track day in October near me and things were icey cold and it started to rain. Never again.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday @ Deal's Gap.

I always knew riding in Florida was complete poo poo, but this trip is really driving that point home.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
My tractor-motored Bavarian thing. Figure I should pop out of lurk mode every now and then.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
F800ST, minus the belly pan? How's that guy handle?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

F800ST, minus the belly pan? How's that guy handle?

F800s actually, same basic bike with lower and more swept back bars, originally a shorter windscreen (although it's got the ST screen on in that pic), shorter tail section and as you pointed out, the half fairing and black wheels. I'm all of 5'6, so tucking behind the taller screen at 80 mph when it's 40 degrees out is nice.

Handling is your typical non-S1000rr beemer, it's got a soft, non adjustable front fork so it doesn't feel the most responsive, but it has surprisingly good turn in, you just sort of have to trust the bike. It's actually pretty tossable with the seat mounted fuel tank and fairly low center of gravity. The rear rotates itself surprisingly quickly and is easy to manage. It's a "light" bike as far as most BMWs go, ~440 lb wet weight or so.

RandyWest
Sep 2, 2011
Here's my Honda 919.
Actually cb900f where i live but it's just the same.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
^Pretty much dead set on a 919 as my next street bike after I sell my CB550..

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

schreibs posted:

Track day in November sounds amazing, where are you? Went on a track day in October near me and things were icey cold and it started to rain. Never again.

I'm near Knoxville, TN. No tracks that close but Talladega GP, Barber, VIR and Road Atlanta are all 4-6 hours away. I grew up in Wisconsin and the idea of trackdays outside of June-September or so is still strange to me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ThatCguy posted:

F800s actually, same basic bike with lower and more swept back bars, originally a shorter windscreen (although it's got the ST screen on in that pic), shorter tail section and as you pointed out, the half fairing and black wheels. I'm all of 5'6, so tucking behind the taller screen at 80 mph when it's 40 degrees out is nice.

Handling is your typical non-S1000rr beemer, it's got a soft, non adjustable front fork so it doesn't feel the most responsive, but it has surprisingly good turn in, you just sort of have to trust the bike. It's actually pretty tossable with the seat mounted fuel tank and fairly low center of gravity. The rear rotates itself surprisingly quickly and is easy to manage. It's a "light" bike as far as most BMWs go, ~440 lb wet weight or so.

I almost got one of those but it sold before I had a chance to look. How's the faux-gas tank storage?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

I almost got one of those but it sold before I had a chance to look. How's the faux-gas tank storage?

Nonexistant. It's a wonky design, but there's nothing on the "tank" to store with, unlike the old F650 GS/CS bikes of a few years ago. It's all cosmetic. There's some under seat storage, but not a ton. If you're looking to carry/stow stuff, an ST, or retrofitting the ST hard cases is probably your best bet. I've got a longer ST tail I swap out with a larger tail bag when I want to do more extended touring.

It's an odd bike. It looks fairly aggressive, but the motor is the most docile, tractable thing I've ever ridden. We're talking harley v-twin levels of lazy riding capability. It's happy lugging around at 2k and reving up to 8.5k. Guys with the STs and the Naked Rs tend to complain about vibrations at around 5k, but I've never really noticed anything awful on the S, may be down to bar design.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

RandyWest posted:

Here's my Honda 919.
Actually cb900f where i live but it's just the same.

:getin:

What rack setup is that for the storage in the back?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Looks like a Givi to me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ThatCguy posted:

Nonexistant. It's a wonky design, but there's nothing on the "tank" to store with,
The battery and airbox and some electronics I think are underneath there.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The battery and airbox and some electronics I think are underneath there.

Yep. So nada on storage.

RandyWest
Sep 2, 2011

BlackLaser posted:

:getin:

What rack setup is that for the storage in the back?

Pope mobile is right. That's a Givi.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

'09 Vstar 950

Just got it yesterday, haven't had time to take and good pictures yet. Love it! For the $600 it cost me to "upgrade" to this bike from my BMW, I feel like I got a stupidly good deal, it had 2100 miles on it and literally looks brand new.

I rode it 4 hours home (after riding my old bike to it's new owner 2 hours) and I was surprisingly not too uncomfortable. I need to see how accurate the speedometer is, it seems a bit optimistic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

dreesemonkey posted:

I need to see how accurate the speedometer is, it seems a bit optimistic.

Nice, I got 23000 mostly-good miles out of my vstar 1300. You'll enjoy it.

My vstar read about 5mph fast across the speedometer.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

'09 Vstar 950

Just got it yesterday, haven't had time to take and good pictures yet. Love it! For the $600 it cost me to "upgrade" to this bike from my BMW, I feel like I got a stupidly good deal, it had 2100 miles on it and literally looks brand new.

I rode it 4 hours home (after riding my old bike to it's new owner 2 hours) and I was surprisingly not too uncomfortable. I need to see how accurate the speedometer is, it seems a bit optimistic.

Trading dualsports for cruisers is the thing, I love sitting lower to the ground.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
My Halloween top case:

With enough zip ties, you can keep anything attached to your bike at highway speeds.

eli4672
Apr 12, 2010
This is my second bike, I've only had it for about 6 weeks. Getting used to a 600 has been a bit of a learning curve for me, mostly because I'm 5'6" and I moved up from a bike about 50Kg lighter and two inches shorter.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Oh man that looks cherry. Sweet bike!

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Oh god, I just put a deposit on this ($1600, 14xx miles).

It matches my helmet, jacket, and my car. I haven't ridden in three years and this is my first dual-sport, I'm really looking forward to owning this.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Went to Ride To The Wall a few weeks back. Once done with that, we came home via a circuitous route and passed by the reservoir just as the sun set. Decided we couldn't pass up the opportunity and thus got serious trigger finger cramp. Won't subject yous to all of them.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I realized my Zephyr was just not comfortable for long hauls and decided to sell it and snapped this pic while waiting for the buyer to pick it up.

The cash from the zephyr and a pell grant refund later I got this.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I can't remember if I posted my new one here or not. Anyway, here it is, all cleaned up after a horribly cold, windy, wet, filthy ride through a cold front from Tulsa to Dallas. All the work I put into restoring it really paid off on that ride but it didn't do poo poo to change the weather.

also: my el cheapo luggage and packing job

Alceste fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 29, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pubic Lair posted:

I realized my Zephyr was just not comfortable for long hauls and decided to sell it and snapped this pic while waiting for the buyer to pick it up.

The cash from the zephyr and a pell grant refund later I got this.

Is the Harley more comfortable than the Zephyr?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

slidebite posted:

Is the Harley more comfortable than the Zephyr?

Sadly yes. The Zephyr was a small bike. Your feet are positioned so that you always had your knees at 70 degrees or less. Your torso was positioned so you were leaning forward and all your upper body was stressing your wrists. The sportster is pretty comfortable but with the mids my right hip gets a bit sore from my right knee bowing out around the aircleaner so I'll get forward controls or a set of hiway pegs so I can stretch. I did swap on a set of those harley willie g skull pegs but they really made my legs sore so I'm back to the stock rubbers, I guess I know why they designed them like they did.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Pubic Lair posted:

Sadly yes. The Zephyr was a small bike. Your feet are positioned so that you always had your knees at 70 degrees or less. Your torso was positioned so you were leaning forward and all your upper body was stressing your wrists. The sportster is pretty comfortable but with the mids my right hip gets a bit sore from my right knee bowing out around the aircleaner so I'll get forward controls or a set of hiway pegs so I can stretch. I did swap on a set of those harley willie g skull pegs but they really made my legs sore so I'm back to the stock rubbers, I guess I know why they designed them like they did.

I dunno how tall you are but I have forward controls on my Sportster and they're super-comfortable at 6'3". The guy I bought it from was pretty short and did it for the style - he looked pretty silly with them but they almost look like midpegs with my big frame :v: I'd definitely reccomend them; however keep in mind you won't be standing up to drive over any bumpy obstacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I dunno how tall you are but I have forward controls on my Sportster and they're super-comfortable at 6'3". The guy I bought it from was pretty short and did it for the style - he looked pretty silly with them but they almost look like midpegs with my big frame :v: I'd definitely reccomend them; however keep in mind you won't be standing up to drive over any bumpy obstacles.

I'm 5'10" and 210 so I don't totally need forwards. The standing on the pegs thing is making me sway towards getting the adjustable highway pegs as it'll let me stretch but keep the mids for in town and driving in crappy/bumpy stuff. I'm going to troll ebay/CL all winter and find a cheap set and if I come across a deal on forwards I may grab them just to see which I like better.