Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
seriously unless its a work emergency i never get calls

dial out into bridges all the drat time tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Martin Odersky, with his efficient german demeanour and well presented reasonings is gradually and irrevocably convincing me that I am an idiot.

damnit i really wanted to learn a scala

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fyi for android you can use Llama to do location detection based on cellphone towers, WiFi, Bluetooth, time of the day, or whatever, and then do things like automatically change screen brightness, alarm volume, start or stop apps, set vibration modes, and do it in a profile-based manner. Also it's free.

Allows my cellphone to automatically go 100% silent in local movie theaters, get on vibration at my uni or my workplace, go back to ringing when I leave any of these places or when I'm at home during the day (where I work most times), get on vibration during evenings, and go dead silent from midnight to 5 am, automatically connect to my office's VoIP during work hours, etc.

I p. much never have a problem with inopportune ringing anymore.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

MononcQc posted:

fyi for android you can use Llama to do location detection based on cellphone towers, WiFi, Bluetooth, time of the day, or whatever, and then do things like automatically change screen brightness, alarm volume, start or stop apps, set vibration modes, and do it in a profile-based manner. Also it's free.

Allows my cellphone to automatically go 100% silent in local movie theaters, get on vibration at my uni or my workplace, go back to ringing when I leave any of these places or when I'm at home during the day (where I work most times), get on vibration during evenings, and go dead silent from midnight to 5 am, automatically connect to my office's VoIP during work hours, etc.

I p. much never have a problem with inopportune ringing anymore.

i think it just makes your phone go haywire and it working properly in most situations is a happy coincidence, because android is a joke

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vapid cutlery posted:

there's a button on the top of the phone to make the screen black, or even not black sometimes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Use SOAP. Use java or c#.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Seriously who the gently caress developed an iPhone and was like yeah we don't need easily accessible vibrate or anything that's not necessary

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

Seriously who the gently caress developed an iPhone and was like yeah we don't need easily accessible vibrate or anything that's not necessary

someone who doesnt want their pocket vibrating all the time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah gently caress choice

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

not apples fault that developers are too stupid to use features reasonably

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
sorry mobile "developers"

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Sweeper posted:

someone who doesnt want their pocket vibrating all the time

ok so put your phone on silent????

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Sweeper posted:

sorry mobile "developers"

so many of them are so bad

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ok so put your phone on silent????

i want my phone to vibrate, just not when terrible developers want it to

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Sweeper posted:

i want my phone to vibrate, just not when terrible developers want it to

ok cool thats what I want too, now if only there were an easy way to switch between this and completely silent jesus u aint gettin it. . .

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ok cool thats what I want too, now if only there were an easy way to switch between this and completely silent jesus u aint gettin it. . .
what are you idiots on about

I think you're doing your damnedest to agree with each other

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweeper posted:

not apples fault that developers are too stupid to use features reasonably

unless youre talking about letting apps vibrate when they're not in focus...

otherwise who gives a poo poo how annoying an app is - if it sucks dont use it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

86% of all human deaths throughout history have been because somebody wanted 'more choices'

just sit down and dwi already

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

yaoi prophet posted:

e: lol no generics? that's loving ridiculous

also no continuous compilation and no running the code before pressing compile and fixing all type errors

so it's no surprise that "the statically typed group required significant more time for fixing the type errors"

whilst "it seems obvious that this should have been led to a worse result in the parser development, in fact it was not"

sooooo then "there must be a positive impact of static typing in something else which compensates this negative effect" of being constantly interrupted by the IDE

extrapolating from their findings to create the same quality software, the allocation of time between fixing type errors and bugs looks like this:

dynamic typing in any IDE: 0% / 100%
static typing in a bad IDE: 50% / 50%
static typing in a good IDE: 1% / 50%

therefore eclipse is the best and java is the best, QED

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

unless youre talking about letting apps vibrate when they're not in focus...

otherwise who gives a poo poo how annoying an app is - if it sucks dont use it

apple just made the choice for them, thats all

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

also no continuous compilation and no running the code before pressing compile and fixing all type errors

so it's no surprise that "the statically typed group required significant more time for fixing the type errors"

whilst "it seems obvious that this should have been led to a worse result in the parser development, in fact it was not"

sooooo then "there must be a positive impact of static typing in something else which compensates this negative effect" of being constantly interrupted by the IDE

extrapolating from their findings to create the same quality software, the allocation of time between fixing type errors and bugs looks like this:

dynamic typing in any IDE: 0% / 100%
static typing in a bad IDE: 50% / 50%
static typing in a good IDE: 1% / 50%

therefore eclipse is the best and java is the best, QED

correct

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweeper posted:

apple just made the choice for them, thats all

well first you were saying it was for good reason
and now its just coz gently caress it why let people use poo poo they own?

Jonny 290 posted:

86% of all human deaths throughout history have been because somebody wanted 'more choices'

death is glorious

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

well first you were saying it was for good reason
and now its just coz gently caress it why let people use poo poo they own?

it is for a good reason, just not one you agree with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whats that good reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if perhaps it drains the battery quickly or heats it up or makes it wear out or something yeah id buy that

but simply so an app can't do something annoying?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

if perhaps it drains the battery quickly or heats it up or makes it wear out or something yeah id buy that

but simply so an app can't do something annoying?

vibration does all of that

therefore apps can't be trusted with it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well theres a reason
not just "its subjectively annoying so we shouldnt let people do it"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

well theres a reason
not just "its subjectively annoying so we shouldnt let people do it"

it's objectively bad

if you're too cretinous to admit that some things can be objectively worse than other things then maybe you should get an android and learn java and go work in medical billing or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well yeah because of those reasons above its objectively bad overall

im saying that you should be "allowed" to do things that are subjectively annoying... heck most apps are loving annoying and stupid and 99% of apps are fart apps and apple is cool with it

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

echinopsis posted:

im saying that you should be "allowed" to do things that are subjectively annoying

why

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why not

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

im saying that you should be "allowed" to do things that are subjectively annoying...
kinda like you are allowed to postt aahhahahahahahah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
even though my posting is objectively bad, someone out there, sometime maybe once will find something i say subjectively passable at least once

then my job is done and everything has been worth it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

ban abortion

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

https://github.com/jonsterling/Data.Records/blob/master/README.lhs

hell yes, i've liked how you can do this kind of poo poo in ur/web for a while now

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

durrr? settings > sounds > vibrate on silent and congratulations your silence switch is now a vibrate switch and this is the correct mode of operation for your phone 100% of the time because a) who needs a ringer ever and b) who needs complete silence ever unless your asleep and that's what the do not disturb scheduler is for

problem solved

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

durrr? settings > sounds > vibrate on silent and congratulations your silence switch is now a vibrate switch and this is the correct mode of operation for your phone 100% of the time because a) who needs a ringer ever and b) who needs complete silence ever unless your asleep and that's what the do not disturb scheduler is for

problem solved

wait is vibrate on silent not the default? i didn't remember setting it and was wondering what all this silent switch talk was about

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

fidel sarcastro posted:

wait is vibrate on silent not the default? i didn't remember setting it and was wondering what all this silent switch talk was about

it was the default for me...

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

problem solved

i for one like having an easy switch between normal, vibrate, and silence but ya whatevs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a world called z0r
Aug 31, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

kinda like you are allowed to postt aahhahahahahahah

bwaahahahahaaa