Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

[previous post nuked, topic moved to manga thread]

e: Reposting best voyage cover.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I really liked that arc in that Ussop is constantly shown as being the weakling coward of the group, but he's still one of the Straw Hats and is only a weakling/coward in comparison to the rest of them. He's still on a whole other level than most everybody else and when he puts his mind to it, he can hold his own against Luffy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really think he can hold his own at all. The only reason he lasted so long was because Luffy wasn't as serious as he could've been. It only took one hit to take him down.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Momomo posted:

I don't really think he can hold his own at all. The only reason he lasted so long was because Luffy wasn't as serious as he could've been. It only took one hit to take him down.

But Luffy wasn't holding back. That was the whole point. Ussop only did as well as he did because he was relying on Luffy to go all out - the cactus stars and the impact dial were used explicitly because they countered Luffy's best moves.

Yes, Ussop only took one hit in the end - Gum Gum Rifle, one of Luffy's hardest hitting attacks. And Ussop was already really really badly hurt before the fight even started. In spite of that, he dominated Luffy for essentially the entire fight. If Luffy seemed off his game, it's because his mouth was on fire, his eyes were covered in rotten eggs, and every time he tried to dodge he moved right into caltrops or exploding cactus stars. Both of them were going all out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It seemed a lot more like he was just caught off guard than Usopp actually doing damage to him. By the end it looked like Luffy was still in top form while Usopp was down. That fight showed us Usopp was a lot more dangerous than we previously thought, but a strong opponent against Luffy? I don't think so.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, that's sort of the point, isn't it? Usopp's way of fighting, even from the beginning, has been lies catching his opponents off guard. From bluffing with fake hammers to lighting his opponent on fire to pretending to run away and/or actually running away.

I'm not saying he could beat Luffy if both were having their best day, but he's adaptable and could probably give him a run for his money, given enough preparation time, even post- time skip.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's kind of a shame the cover spoils that fight for people who might not know that it's coming and are watching the english version first.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
To be fair the OP pretty much shows the fight happening as early as 206.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode. Wrappin' it all up.

poo poo load of ads in this episode though. All of them for Windows poo poo.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

You should be so lucky. I'm getting inundated with anti obama ads.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finally it feels like we're moving onto something interesting. Too bad it will be another hundreds of episodes/chapters before we get to see another big, gently caress off fight like the Whitebeard War or getting toe to toe with Blackbeard :( How far ahead is manga, anyway? It might be worth looking into.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Part way through the next arc. It seems like the arc will be ending soon, but Oda just might throw us for even more loops. :allears: About 40 or 50 chapters ahead, not including the movie filler.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's also worth noting that the next arc's villain is loving fantastic.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

You should be so lucky. I'm getting inundated with anti obama ads.
Those are at least relevant to this arc's politics. What Jimbe forgot to mention this episode was that one of Akainu's first actions upon being promoted was to repeal Sengokucare.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Those are at least relevant to this arc's politics. What Jimbe forgot to mention this episode was that one of Akainu's first actions upon being promoted was to repeal Sengokucare.
Sengoku's America New World. :argh:

I'll start moving my old Film Z posts and any new ones over to this thread once we get past Fishman Island. I didn't want to post them here earlier because of possible spoilers.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Gyges posted:

It's also worth noting that the next arc's villain is loving fantastic.

This for sure, I absolutely love it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I just watched #568. I was not expecting Luffy to ask Jimbei to join his crew.

Don't think anyone mentioned this: anyone else notice that some/all of the sea giants were from one of the previous intros?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

How far ahead is manga, anyway? It might be worth looking into.
The next arc isn't over yet.

It's definitely worth looking into. It's so much better to just sit down and read 20 or so pages of lovingly illustrated manga than to sit through the same material cheaply animated for half an hour. Oda really is a very good artist who puts a lot of obvious love into every panel to make it feel fluid and alive, while the farmed out animation teams that do the anime... don't quite have the same touch. It's an impressive feat that, with the exception of some of the more clearly high budget action scenes, the anime usually manages to feel more static than the manga.

The only thing I miss are the voices, which are truly superb, but I hear them anyway for the characters I'm already familiar with.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

The only thing I miss are the voices, which are truly superb, but I hear them anyway for the characters I'm already familiar with.

Also the music, though, now that I think on it, it feels like they've turned down the music recently, or at least haven't used it very effectively. This entire last arc I can't think of a single moment that the music and visuals really clicked, even though there should have been a couple.

But man, early episodes loving knew when to use that badass music to full effect.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eiba posted:

It's definitely worth looking into. It's so much better to just sit down and read 20 or so pages of lovingly illustrated manga than to sit through the same material cheaply animated for half an hour. Oda really is a very good artist who puts a lot of obvious love into every panel to make it feel fluid and alive, while the farmed out animation teams that do the anime... don't quite have the same touch.

The only problem with reading the manga is that the fan translations are really so-so, while the professional TV ones are pretty good. I've been both reading and watching the series as it progresses, and it sometimes took took waiting six months for the anime version to come out so I could say "Oh! That's what so-and-so was trying to say!"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Hey, does anyone know if Funimation has/is going to release movies 1-7?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Bobulus posted:

The only problem with reading the manga is that the fan translations are really so-so, while the professional TV ones are pretty good. I've been both reading and watching the series as it progresses, and it sometimes took took waiting six months for the anime version to come out so I could say "Oh! That's what so-and-so was trying to say!"
For North Americans, then do I have a professional translation for you. :getin:

Some Numbers posted:

Hey, does anyone know if Funimation has/is going to release movies 1-7?
Nope. :( I really want movie 6 dubbed.
They've released movie 8 (Episode of Alabasta) and will release movie 10 (Strong World) sometime next year. There were some rumors of them getting Film Z (and season 5!) earlier this year, but that was quickly retracted. Whether that was false or Funimation didn't want to release info about stuff that wouldn't be out until 2014 by the earliest, I don't know.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seriously considering doing that, now that I know about it. Thanks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Autumncomet posted:

Nope. :( I really want movie 6 dubbed.
They've released movie 8 (Episode of Alabasta) and will release movie 10 (Strong World) sometime next year. There were some rumors of them getting Film Z (and season 5!) earlier this year, but that was quickly retracted. Whether that was false or Funimation didn't want to release info about stuff that wouldn't be out until 2014 by the earliest, I don't know.

Darn. I was hoping to get a slightly more polished version of movies 4 and 6 at some point.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Eiba posted:

The next arc isn't over yet.

It's definitely worth looking into. It's so much better to just sit down and read 20 or so pages of lovingly illustrated manga than to sit through the same material cheaply animated for half an hour. Oda really is a very good artist who puts a lot of obvious love into every panel to make it feel fluid and alive, while the farmed out animation teams that do the anime... don't quite have the same touch. It's an impressive feat that, with the exception of some of the more clearly high budget action scenes, the anime usually manages to feel more static than the manga.

Okay, thanks. I never tried reading manga "seriously" because I have problems with recognizing what is actually happening on most of the frames and in what order they're set up.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

lordfrikk posted:

Okay, thanks. I never tried reading manga "seriously" because I have problems with recognizing what is actually happening on most of the frames and in what order they're set up.

Use a mirror until you get the hang of it.

No seriously, have a hand mirror ready and hold it at such an angle that you can figure out what's happening on the page. You only need to use it when you're starting out and there are too many panels to make sense of what's happening when reading backwards. You'll learn to adapt eventually but until then, it's okay to have a way to parse what's going on until you learn to do it while reading.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Because I read mainly manga these days, I have developed a tendency to read right to left in everything.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Last episode has me wondering.

So Sanji mentions Blackbeard wouldn't want Chopper's human-human fruit, but what would happen if a human ate the human-human fruit? I bet it would give him antler powers like how Chopper mysteriously acquired his. Sengoku's had a model, so it's different. I feel like the models are a cheap way to avoid the syllable-syllable naming convention, especially since there is a regular human-human fruit without a model.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shadow0 posted:

what would happen if a human ate the human-human fruit?

Actually, Oda answered this specific question in SBS years ago. The person who ate it would become "enlightened."

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Use a mirror until you get the hang of it.

No seriously, have a hand mirror ready and hold it at such an angle that you can figure out what's happening on the page. You only need to use it when you're starting out and there are too many panels to make sense of what's happening when reading backwards. You'll learn to adapt eventually but until then, it's okay to have a way to parse what's going on until you learn to do it while reading.

I've been reading manga for years (not as hardcore as most of you guys though) and I honestly still have problems telling what's happening during action sequences.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think that's more to do with the art, not because you're reading right to left.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

One Piece - Episode of Luffy: Adventure to the New World From the Encounter with Shanks
December 15, 2012, 9pm

There's a trailer with Film Z stuff, but that spoils for after Fishman Island. I'll make my Film Z info recap post in this thread once the anime gets past the appropriate point.

At this rate, we're going to get all of the early arcs in glorious HD. :allears:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The subtitle is "Adventure of Hand Island" so I think it's an original story.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

572 preview (for the episode in two weeks). I normally don't link them but :supaburn: YES. And 571 preview for Saturday's episode

I guess, however, this means no filler?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think One Piece prefers to just drag out every episode so as to keep it just one chapter rather than add any filler. Doesn't make sense to me. Use your evil corporate powers to shovel crap at your captive audience. A new child character every week! What are they going to do, not watch the animation of the by far most popular written Japanese work of our time?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

I think One Piece prefers to just drag out every episode so as to keep it just one chapter rather than add any filler. Doesn't make sense to me. Use your evil corporate powers to shovel crap at your captive audience. A new child character every week! What are they going to do, not watch the animation of the by far most popular written Japanese work of our time?
You are a bad person. :mad:

New episode. I got that Betty commercial for Tide a bunch of times. :smith:

I wasn't aware that Big Mom used "ore" instead of "watashi" or "atashi". I guess she does this in the manga too?

The music when Tamago had his introduction. :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
God I love how the Strawhats are just so used to Luffy's insanity that they simply have resigned expressions while everyone else is freaking out.

That ending was necessary to set Luffy on the path to be worthy of the continued rivalry of the great Admiral Buggy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm going to miss seeing the translation of "wanted->Winner!:D" when the new theme hits. It's one of my favorite openings from One Piece.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Flameingblack posted:

I'm going to miss seeing the translation of "wanted->Winner!:D" when the new theme hits. It's one of my favorite openings from One Piece.

I thought that wasn't a translation and just meant that being on a wanted poster meant your were doing well as a pirate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409223698"]
I thought that wasn't a translation and just meant that being on a wanted poster meant your were doing well as a pirate.

http://images.wikia.com/onepiece/images/8/8f/Usopp_Eyecatcher.jpg

指名手配→ つまりWinner(•∀•)