Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

When the brother gets killed on the bridge, the scale is enormous and incomprehensible. The characters cannot wrap their heads around what is happening, or why, or how. By the end of the movie very little has been figured out, except the characters know that the military is helping and the events are to some extent comprehensible and survivable. The ending death is a very personal and isolated event, not one affecting the whole city like the bridge, but one that is only seen or really cared about, overall, by our heroes. The giant monster tiptoeing from offscreen, I think, is similar to how Tuco and Blondie don't know the army is marching by in the desert: the characters' vision is synonymous with the camera's. Someone smarter than me could explain this better, but it's an effective and satisfying technique.

Yes. That was the whole point of that! And don't forget that they just survived a helicopter crash. I definitely gave them some leeway for that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

So I watched Stagefright and holy poo poo it owns. It feels like the best movie Argento never made, which I suppose is appropriate given that it's basically Opera on horse steroids.

The pacing in it is kind of odd, but I do appreciate that when the killing starts in earnest with Wallace nonchalantly walking onto the stage and stabbing the poo poo out of the girl it never lets up.

Yeah, Stagefright is a beast. Michele Soavi got his start as a second-unit director for heavyweights like Argento and Lamberto Bava (he was second unit director on Opera, in fact), so he really learned from the best. Make sure you watch The Church Dellamorte Dellamore if you haven't.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Speaking of Cloverfield, has there been any movement on the proposed sequel? I know Abrams had it on hold while making Super 8, but has it just been dropped at this point?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah, Stagefright is a beast. Michele Soavi got his start as a second-unit director for heavyweights like Argento and Lamberto Bava (he was second unit director on Opera, in fact), so he really learned from the best. Make sure you watch The Church Dellamorte Dellamore if you haven't.

I've seen Dellamorte Dellamore (one of my favorite horror comedies) but I've always had The Church described to me as the lovely black sheep of the Demons series. Is it as good as Stagefright and Dellamorte?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

I've seen Dellamorte Dellamore (one of my favorite horror comedies) but I've always had The Church described to me as the lovely black sheep of the Demons series. Is it as good as Stagefright and Dellamorte?

Well, to be blunt: No, it's not. But Stagefright and Dellamorte are two of the high watermarks of post-1970s Italian horror, so that's a really high bar to clear. The Church is still a very fun, hallucinatory wild ride and definitely worth a watch (and I think it may be on Netflix).

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I haven't seen the new Silent Hill movie but as soon as I saw that it was following the cult story I mentally discounted it. Those games weren't really weak, but they tended to have fairly straightforward stories that had a lot of kind of dumb exposition and there's nothing that interesting going on. I feel like the SH2 "Crucible for Sinners" approach would have worked better in a movie and would have allowed for a more interesting story without the same need for exposition dumps.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

OldTennisCourt posted:

Speaking of Cloverfield, has there been any movement on the proposed sequel? I know Abrams had it on hold while making Super 8, but has it just been dropped at this point?

It's not completely off the table, but there are three major players in getting the sequel made and one, two or all of them tend to be pretty busy at any given time.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Without wanting to lower the intellectual bar too much here, the Paranormal Activity movies can be tremendously fun when a little drunk/high and watching with friends, you can really get sucked into them. The first movie essentially turned into a game of "how long until you'd break up with the possessed girl".

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cart posted:

The first movie essentially turned into a game of "how long until you'd break up with the possessed girl".

Incredibly cute brunette with big boobs? Yeah, I probably end up like Micah.

Looking forward to the cries of, "Katie is a fatty fat fat!!!1!"

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Finally got to watch V/H/S this weekend. It was pretty loving good except for the third short which was lower quality than the others in almost every way. Seemed like it was made by juggalos, or some other similarly retarded group.

The only other flaw I found was in the alien short the main character has to spill her entire back story in one sentence. Seemed like lovely writing to me.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I watched Pumpkinhead, Chopping Mall and the first hour of Prom Night over the weekend. None were as good as I wanted them to be although they are a bit better than average. Not sure whats up with Prom Night. I shut it off after the first kill which happens after 1 hour.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love love love Pumpkinhead. One of my favorite monster movies, definitely. Such atmosphere. It makes me really wish Stan Winston directed more movies.

I dig Chopping Mall too just because it's Killbots murdering teens in a mall, what's not to like? It's even got Dick Miller. Prom Night pretty much straight up blows though, you didn't miss much by not finishing it. If Jamie Lee Curtis wasn't in that movie, even hardcore slasher buffs probably wouldn't remember it.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
This weekend, we watched Excision and del Toro's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.

Excision was relatively well-made, and particularly, the acting was commendable. Traci Lords did a real good job, I've always kind of liked her. The ending wasn't supposed to be a surprise was it? Or a twist? I mean, they telegraphed it from like five minutes into the movie. That said, when it happens, it's still effective. Eh...call it 6/10.

I mainly want to talk about Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. What a horrible piece of poo poo. Just awful. And the bitch of it is, I had heard it was terrible. I don't know why I watched it. Do not watch this movie.

All that aside though and it's a really good looking movie. The areas outside the house are particularly beautiful.

Tagline for DBAD: "Nobody would ever do anything that happens in this movie."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

epoch. posted:

Tagline for DBAD: "Nobody would ever do anything that happens in this movie."

So basically, it's a good movie that rustles jimmies because :qq: TACTICAL REALISM :qq:.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

So basically, it's a good movie that rustles jimmies because :qq: TACTICAL REALISM :qq:.

I haven't seen the film in question, and this is starting to spill over from general chat, but you can't necessarily apply this defense to every horror movie where characters do stupid poo poo.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.

WickedIcon posted:

No. Basically, it's a bad movie. We're not talking about the traditional horror movie tropes of "Don't go in there!"

A little girl, aged 6-9, decides to go into the scary, creepy, nearly-pitch-black basement/dungeon (that the new owners didn't even know existed [until it's discovered outside of the house by the little girl and later her dad decides to take a loving sledgehammer to a wall of perfectly-restored original woodwork {"don't worry I can just fix it" lol}]) of her estranged father's architectural renovation home in the afternoon of, say, her second day there (because?). Once down there she attempts to use a wrench to open up the terrifying bolted-up-shut furnace because she hears a multitude of scary-as-gently caress whispering voices calling to her by name. And her demeanour through it all is not "yay new friends!" or "cautious intrigue" but a nonsensical combination of depression and -- seemingly -- boredom.

Nothing in this movie makes sense. And not in a cool way. It's played totally seriously. It's just bad.

And don't even get me loving started on Chekhov's Polaroid, holy poo poo.

edit: Bonus WTFLOL: Everyone is deaf in this movie. I don't mean literally, I mean they loving must be. Shortly after she attempts to open up the furnace, her father leans in closed, with his ear right against the grate, to listen for the voices she claims to have heard. And the little demonic faerie thingies attempt to shove a long metal pole into his ear. It scrapes loudly against the metal grate. The audience hears it, but he says, (after it barely misses him!!! WHOA poo poo) "I don't hear anything now".

Later, during the climax (I guess?), the little girl is trapped in the library with dozens of these loving things and her only weapon/defense is Chekhov's Polaroid. She's screaming, the 3-bulb flash is going off incessantly, and the little demon thingies are all snarling and growling and shouting at her and throwing books and poo poo around, while an entire dinner party stands helpless to just bust down the door. When they finally do get the door open and (surprise all the demon things are gone [hey man let's just pretend that she didn't just cut off the arm of one of them with a bookcase and DAD IT'S loving RIGHT HERE and let's pretend there isn't twenty or so developing pictures of the thingies]) her dad says "I think we're going to have to call it a night" and the the main dude they're trying to impress at the dinner party loving huffs like he's so offended his night has been ruined by this pleb's daughter being assaulted by a dozen mutant demon thingies OR the man is as deaf as Stevie Wonder is blind.

epoch. fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 29, 2012

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I love love love Pumpkinhead. One of my favorite monster movies, definitely. Such atmosphere. It makes me really wish Stan Winston directed more movies.

I love when it looks like Pumpkinhead is going to shoot that one kid in the gut, but instead just impales him with the rifle. Fantastic movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Volume posted:

I love when it looks like Pumpkinhead is going to shoot that one kid in the gut, but instead just impales him with the rifle. Fantastic movie

That's a great moment for a couple reasons, both because it's totally unexpected and because its an elegant way of showing how Pumpkinhead is slowly evolving with every kill to become more human; he's sophisticated enough to pick up a rifle and know it's a weapon, but not sophisticated enough to actually use it correctly (although, I mean, the dude's still dead so I guess he's not using it incorrectly either).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

epoch. posted:

Excision was relatively well-made, and particularly, the acting was commendable. Traci Lords did a real good job, I've always kind of liked her. The ending wasn't supposed to be a surprise was it? Or a twist? I mean, they telegraphed it from like five minutes into the movie. That said, when it happens, it's still effective. Eh...call it 6/10.

No and that's actually one more reason I liked it. Knowing it isn't going to end well builds tension even during the many drama scenes when I kept reminding myself this is a horror film ... oh gently caress. Chained has a bit of that as well, the characters live in a hosed up world and there is no happy ever after. Dread tried to accomplish the same but was so poorly made that I just got bored waiting for the inevitable. Sorry if these sound like spoilers to anyone but they really aren't.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I love the contrast between blue and orange that's present in Pumpkinhead. I know people think it's overused on movie posters, but it makes this movie look beautiful.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

epoch. posted:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

Everything here is true. DBAotD is loving terrible, for these and many other reasons.

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I love the contrast between blue and orange that's present in Pumpkinhead. I know people think it's overused on movie posters, but it makes this movie look beautiful.

It's been 20 some years since I saw Pumpkinhead, but I still remember the early scene when they hit the kid as being pretty powerful. Most of the teenagers ending dead really didnt deserve it as it was really just an accident. I remember a few of them even staying behind waiting for Lance Henrikson to come back.

Now I'm gonna have to hunt a copy to watch it again.

Thejaff fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 29, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

epoch. posted:

It's less a surprise, more that you're spending the film wondering/hoping it'll defy your expectations. It's a horror, but it's also equal parts tragedy, in the classical sense.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Thejaff posted:

It's been 20 some years since I saw Pumpkinhead, but I still remember the early scene when they hit the kid as being pretty powerful. Most of the teenagers ending dead really didnt deserve it as it was really just an accident. I remember a few of them even staying behind waiting for Lance Henrikson to come back.

Now I'm gonna have to hunt a copy to watch it again.

Its on youtube in its entirety although I'm not sure it really helped my viewing experience. It was like watching a 2nd gen VHS dub.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Any suggestions on some movies that I could watch with my wife on Halloween? She hates horror movies for the most part and gets terrified from things that aren't even slightly scary to me, so I'm not the best judge at what to try to watch.

She did like The Others and The Woman In Black (even though she was scared out of her mind during both), but other than those two, I've had trouble finding much that she was willing to watch with me. I've tried unsuccessfully to go with more comedic movies like Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland, as she didn't like either of those.

She also watched last season's American Horror Story and enjoyed it, but she decided against watching this year's

Normally I just watch horror movies when she isn't around, but I'd like to try to watch a couple this year, since we'll actually be at home on Halloween night for a change.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Acrolos posted:

Any suggestions on some movies that I could watch with my wife on Halloween? She hates horror movies for the most part and gets terrified from things that aren't even slightly scary to me, so I'm not the best judge at what to try to watch.

She did like The Others and The Woman In Black (even though she was scared out of her mind during both), but other than those two, I've had trouble finding much that she was willing to watch with me. I've tried unsuccessfully to go with more comedic movies like Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland, as she didn't like either of those.

She also watched last season's American Horror Story and enjoyed it, but she decided against watching this year's

Normally I just watch horror movies when she isn't around, but I'd like to try to watch a couple this year, since we'll actually be at home on Halloween night for a change.

Go with the original Wicker Man. I've found it's the kind of film even those vehemently opposed to horror love. And it has Christopher Lee in a dress, and that's never a bad thing.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Acrolos posted:

Hunt down a copy of "Trick R Treat". It's not scary, and it is a fantastic Halloween movie.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Acrolos posted:

Hocus Pocus

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Acrolos posted:

Any suggestions on some movies that I could watch with my wife on Halloween?

The Abandoned
This one doesn't have a ton of scares, just (in my opinion) superb atmosphere and design as well as tension without being chased and stuff. I sincerely enjoyed it.

Edit: Haha, the trailer for this is like four kinds of terrible. It details the entire plot, uses trailer only effects to make a moody atmospheric movie seem fast paced, has Trailer Voice Over Guy, and takes pains to include all reveals and setpieces.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 29, 2012

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Ape Agitator posted:

The Abandoned
This one doesn't have a ton of scares, just (in my opinion) superb atmosphere and design as well as tension without being chased and stuff. I sincerely enjoyed it.

Edit: Haha, the trailer for this is like four kinds of terrible. It details the entire plot, uses trailer only effects to make a moody atmospheric movie seem fast paced, has Trailer Voice Over Guy, and takes pains to include all reveals and setpieces.

I really enjoyed this movie.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah The Abandoned is one of those movies I never hear discussed. It's got some real interesting stuff in it. Pigs are scary. (Read Clive Barker's Pig Blood Blues, so so so good)

But I don't think I'd recommend it to a person who isn't "into" horror movies. I'd go with Trick 'r Treat. It's fun. Also, Poltergeist.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I'd like to talk a bit about The Last House on the Left (1972). Specifically, the soundtrack.

The music from this film constantly contrasts with the tone you would expect from a movie of this nature. Most of the songs are a lighthearted, folksy romp. They are fun, and they make it seem like the characters are having a gay old time (they're not). The music really only changes when poo poo is about to truly go down. When one of the girls escapes from her captors and they give chase, the soundtrack may as well be the Benny Hill theme. When they catch her, same deal. Once she strikes one of her captors with a rock, however, the mood changes from "we need to catch this girl" to "we need to kill this girl" and the soundtrack changes accordingly. One might say the soundtrack follows the point of view of the captors.

It does.

The man who wrote the soundtrack played Krug, the leader of the group of killers.

Another interesting thing about the soundtrack is how the lyrics add to the action, especially when taken from the point of view of the killers (especially Krug). For instance, immediately after the rape scene, Mari hobbles off sobbing and trying to regain herself while a song called "Now You're All Alone" plays. A fitting song to describe how she feels, no?

No. Here are the lyrics:

quote:

Now you're all alone...
Feeling like nobody loves you...
And looking for someone to hold your hand...
Someone who understands...
Now you­'re all by yourself...
And you're feeling the world closing on you.
And you're asking for someone
To show they care.
Someone who's really there.
Someone who understands.
Do what you can.
Sleep when can...
Maybe the way of the lord is upon you.
To guide you.
Protect you.
Hold you and love you.
She makes you feel real.
She makes you feel real.

This is a song about Krug, not Mari. Almost makes you feel bad for the guy.

This movie really does everything in its power to make the viewer sympathize with the killers, from their jovial introduction, the music, how Krug gets chased by a maniac with a chainsaw, hell, even the audience insert character (Junior) is a member of their crew.

Revenge begets revenge, violence begets violence. There are no heroes in this film; there is only chaos.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Hey, so there's a new John Dies at the End trailer. Nice to see it'll finally be released on-demand, because it looks like a great little labor of love I wanna give money to, even if it might be absolutely nonsensical as a film. I'll always have a soft-spot for it, though, because I remember devouring the novel in a week back in the day, the CRT monitor straining my eyes.

Also I just remembered the novel had a character named Jennifer Lopez and an angel that took the form of Fred Durst, and it breaks my heart that there's basically no way that stuff stayed in the film.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

foodfight posted:

I watched Pumpkinhead, Chopping Mall and the first hour of Prom Night over the weekend. None were as good as I wanted them to be although they are a bit better than average. Not sure whats up with Prom Night. I shut it off after the first kill which happens after 1 hour.

Oh poo poo son you missed the DISCO THROWDOWN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZgN_1dnj8A&t=10m40s

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I had no idea that John Dies At The End had been filmed, this is awesome news. I just finished re-reading it last night. The casting's going to screw with my mind's eye, though. I pictured Jay Baruchel as Dave and Shia Lebeouf as John.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I have to ask, how bad is Vile? I keep seeing it on Netflix Instant and it looks loving awful.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Silhouette posted:

I had no idea that John Dies At The End had been filmed, this is awesome news. I just finished re-reading it last night. The casting's going to screw with my mind's eye, though. I pictured Jay Baruchel as Dave and Shia Lebeouf as John.

I don't want to kill your enthusiasm, but don't expect everything or even half the book to be represented onscreen, because there just wasn't enough of a budget to do everything. What's there is quite good but try not to watch it with the book in mind too much.

As an example:

Vegas is completely gone

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

That's a great moment for a couple reasons, both because it's totally unexpected and because its an elegant way of showing how Pumpkinhead is slowly evolving with every kill to become more human; he's sophisticated enough to pick up a rifle and know it's a weapon, but not sophisticated enough to actually use it correctly (although, I mean, the dude's still dead so I guess he's not using it incorrectly either).

Can we just get to Pumpkinhead 2 and how somehow they pulled off an effect where he gives a tilt o whirl backbreaker to a big mountain man motherfucker?

In all seriousness, I love Pumpkinhead and it always struck me as the Stepehen King novella that was never wrote except he has one helluva monster instead of just a semi-concept of a monster.

Pumpkinhead is great and it's an example of how there is a little less light in the world now that Stan Winston is gone. Man knew how to design a beast.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Imagine being Stan Winston's kids during the 80's and 90's.

Best Halloween costumes in the history of mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't want to kill your enthusiasm, but don't expect everything or even half the book to be represented onscreen, because there just wasn't enough of a budget to do everything. What's there is quite good but try not to watch it with the book in mind too much.

As an example:

Vegas is completely gone

:sigh:

I'll still watch it, but that's a great part of the book. :(