Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chaltab posted:

If games are regularly going to be that large then downloads still aren't viable for a lot of people.

Chronojam posted:

Maybe some console gamers will get a bit of filesize shock but anybody who's been playing computer games for the past five years is used to this.

:confused: Seems straightforward to me. All you have to do is glance once at the popularity of Steam, or look how hard Origin is trying, to see that most people don't think downloading dozen-gigabyte games is a problem. That's why I threw up some numbers for people balking at the size of Tekken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Get one of the larger portable Hardrives if space is that much of an issue.

I think a 500gb might run you 40-50 bucks or less. I don't even think you need a Solid State drive for console game systems. Or atleast thats how the PS3 functions. 1 TB is about 90-100 bucks and really not that bad considering you can store more stuff than just wii game data on it.

However what I havn't seen yet is if the Wii-U will function with Steam just like the PS3/360.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

NewEgg has full external ready-to-go 1TB drive packages for ~$70-90. About the same price generally for an internal one, too. 1TB drives were around $60 before the flooding so the fact they're back to $70 is reassuring.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

(and I hope fixit takes a WiiU apart quickly so we can check out the SSD, if it's proprietary or if we can like take a retail SSD of the right specs apart and jam the board in)
(external drive support + four USB ports = greatly appreciated, but I like internals..)
Considering the capacity I'm guessing it's just a few NAND chips soldered on board like most non computer consumer hardware, it'd be a waste of space to put a normal SSD in there with that little capacity. And Nintendo already gave us a teardown :v:

Chronojam posted:

I'd argue that more people have wireless or are willing to pay for a cheapass d-link wifi router than have or are willing to run cat-5 to their television. It ties back to the discussion earlier where some people thought the Wii only did sports.
Yeah wired connections seem like more a niche thing these days in comparison with wireless stuff, particularly since pretty much everything has wireless connectivity now. I don't think iPads and ultrabooks and whatever are hurting for connectivity cause they lack ethernet.

Chaltab posted:

Not sure what that has to do with my point. Many US broadband companies still have datacaps, and decent speeds aren't cheap. Combine that with the fact that downloading stuff off console shops is usually a lot slower than Steam, and 17GB is pretty inconvenient.
Iwata addressed big rear end downloads before. I think one idea was that you could order from wherever (like online computer or phone) and the shop would tell the console remotely to download the game. Like you could be at work or away where you couldn't play anyway, and by the time you get back home you could have the new game already downloaded. Or set it up to download in the middle of the night, like if you preorder something it could start downloading at midnight.

They've already done some rudimentary form of idle time downloading on the 3DS (buy something and close the system, play later), so with that and Iwata's comments I imagine they've already thought about it a bit. (Of course the actual execution is always the big question mark with them...)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Executing a task at a certain time is practically all computers do. It should be trivial.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
http://m.kotaku.com/5955870/f+zero-and-yoshi-return-sort-of-in-the-wii-us-nintendo-land

Nintendo announced three more Nintendo Land games. The F Zero one I've heard of and conceptually I can imagine what they're talking about. The other two I don't really understand what they're talking about from the paragraph description. Some games called Yoshi's Fruit Cart and Octopus Dance (which I assume is based on the Game and Watch franchise).

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Behold the first console F-Zero game since GX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvdxIL3HfXo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CrushedB posted:

Behold the first console F-Zero game since GX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvdxIL3HfXo
A cross between F-Zero and Sonic 2006.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

greatn posted:

http://m.kotaku.com/5955870/f+zero-and-yoshi-return-sort-of-in-the-wii-us-nintendo-land

Nintendo announced three more Nintendo Land games. The F Zero one I've heard of and conceptually I can imagine what they're talking about. The other two I don't really understand what they're talking about from the paragraph description. Some games called Yoshi's Fruit Cart and Octopus Dance (which I assume is based on the Game and Watch franchise).

It boggles my mind that Nintendo Land is shaping up to be good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

A cross between F-Zero and Sonic 2006.

I was about to say. Yeah it looks really bad.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

I was about to say. Yeah it looks really bad.

It's Wii Sports F-Zero. It can't be too fast or it will give grandma a seizure.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I think it looks good.

For a Nintendo fan.

To play at the baby convention.

IDIOT.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That could just be the first level, and increase in difficulty and complexity.

The only thing I can really say in its defense is that's how a theme park ride version might look? But yeah that music is terrible.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 29, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm starting to think that Nintendo Land is engineered to be the most embarassing game to talk about ever.

"Hey, wanna play Yoshi's Fruit Cart?"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm starting to think that Nintendo Land is engineered to be the most embarassing game to talk about ever.

"Hey, wanna play Yoshi's Fruit Cart?"

The metroid blast and pikmin games could be interesting. Everything else looks like 10 minutes of fun with friends and then never play again.

I hope plenty of goons got BLOPS2 on the thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

The metroid blast and pikmin games could be interesting. Everything else looks like 10 minutes of fun with friends and then never play again.

I hope plenty of goons got BLOPS2 on the thing.

Balloon Trip has been said to be very addictive, and at least one of the ign people who've had a lot of time with it said she really loved the Donkey Kong puzzle thing. Also everyone who's done Mario chase has said they could play it for hours.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

That could just be the first level, and increase in difficulty and complexity.

The only thing I can really say in its defense is that's how a theme park ride version might look? But yeah that music is terrible.

Even if it gets 'harder', it'll still be whatever the hell that video was supposed to be, which is "a worse looking game than the proper F-Zero game that came out on the Gamecube." I have a feeling that after F-Zero GX, most people don't want the game to get 'harder' (you big babies :colbert:)

The video made this mini-game look like it was a harder to control Mario Kart that happened to include cars from F-Zero as unlocks or something. I think what was really throwing me off was that the camera didn't even follow the car properly through the turns.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

fivegears4reverse posted:

Even if it gets 'harder', it'll still be whatever the hell that video was supposed to be, which is "a worse looking game than the proper F-Zero game that came out on the Gamecube." I have a feeling that after F-Zero GX, most people don't want the game to get 'harder' (you big babies :colbert:)

The video made this mini-game look like it was a harder to control Mario Kart that happened to include cars from F-Zero as unlocks or something. I think what was really throwing me off was that the camera didn't even follow the car properly through the turns.

I think the gamepad has a top down view, so it's giving you two useless cameras instead of one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

Octopus Dance (which I assume is based on the Game and Watch franchise).
I'm thinking this might've started as the rhythm game from 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYd-_4pwYUY

greatn posted:

I think the gamepad has a top down view, so it's giving you two useless cameras instead of one.
Well it sounds kind of funky:

quote:

players get a top-down view of the track on the GamePad, which is held vertically and turned to steer the vehicle
...I'm imagining this like one of those baby driving toys where steering moves either the car or road around while the other remains static (and I can't find a picture cause video games have apparently obsoleted them).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

japtor posted:

...I'm imagining this like one of those baby driving toys where steering moves either the car or road around while the other remains static (and I can't find a picture cause video games have apparently obsoleted them).

Any NES racing game would do

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chronojam posted:

Any NES racing game would do

Basically if Nintendo brings back a proper revival of RC Pro Am, I'll forgive roughly 50% of any of their (real or imagined) transgressions and probably end up getting a Wii U.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
You say that like you won't eventually be getting one anyway.

Though yeah, that F-Zero minigame does look really boring. Why aren't there other racers on the track?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
49 other racers, who knock you out with a single touch, rubberband and just flat out go faster than you.

F-ActualZero.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
All driven by Miyamoto. With Mustaches.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
IGN put up a bunch of 30-second clips that show off the new Nintendo Land games (including Yoshi/Octopus) as well as new elements from the previously-revealed attractions (click).

While I'm here, some more general info:

-Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing will change slightly depending on the number of players, ie it'll add AI partners, change the objectives a little if there's only 2 people

-Pikmin Adventure features 16 levels in the main mode plus 3 dedicated versus stages

-Takamaru's Castle features weapon upgrades and boss battles

-Zelda Battle features a single-player Time Attack archery mode, kinda like Link's Crossbow Training, I guess

-Metroid Blast features 20 levels in the main Assault mode plus 5 stages for Ground mode (is that deathmatch? I forget)

-All the games feature achievement stamps, trophies for beating high scores and "Master Rank" stars

-Coins earned over the course of the game can be spent in a pachinko machine in order to win Nintendo-themed prizes; some of these are only available once you've unlocked them by playing their respective attraction

-Miiverse integration for leaderboards

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Coins earned over the course of the game can be spent in a pachinko machine in order to win Nintendo-themed prizes; some of these are only available once you've unlocked them by playing their respective attraction

I'm hoping this is like the 3DS and Find Mii hats. I know it's dumb as hell but I fuckin' love my Samus helmet on my Mii.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Investor Q&A is up in English now:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/121025qa/index.html

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

A 47 minute video about Animal Crossing getting over a million views is very impressive.

quote:

For example, some might say that it would be unbelievably profitable to provide paid add-on content for "Animal Crossing: New Leaf," but we were concerned that a game in which you enjoy yourself more by the power of money would not be suitable, and we decided to avoid such a feature after an intensive discussion with the development team.

One just needs to read that and shudder the thought of Square-Enix publishing an Animal Crossing game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That might be the most sensible Q&A they've had in a while. The last few have had some really ridiculous questions.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
I was in a Gamestop today. They had a demo Wii-U unit set up. The Gamepad (main touch screen controller) felt nice.

But, all you could do was watch game VIDEOS. I couldn't actually demo a software title. I wanted to try Super Mario Bros Wii-U drat it!

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Iwata posted:

I do not know when people will become bored with an average man in his fifties talking at length about games, but at the moment it appears that many people are enjoying and paying attention to our Nintendo Direct broadcasts, and while this is the case, we will continue to air them.

Iwata... :allears:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Runaway Five posted:

But, all you could do was watch game VIDEOS. I couldn't actually demo a software title. I wanted to try Super Mario Bros Wii-U drat it!

I seriously don't understand why they did this. I mentioned earlier that a surprising amount of the launch games are rated M (not just for a Nintendo system launch but in general). Obviously those won't have demos in store (only Rayman is actually playable on the kiosks) but I can't believe they don't have a Mario demo that just immediately starts up by default or one or two Nintendo Land games or something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
When the Wii was coming out only Excite Truck was playable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Runaway Five posted:

I was in a Gamestop today. They had a demo Wii-U unit set up. The Gamepad (main touch screen controller) felt nice.

Did you try using the Home button on the gamepad? There might've been a few options and the store clerk just went "uh.... this one!"

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

When the Wii was coming out only Excite Truck was playable.

It was the only game I needed :allears:

That reminds me, I need to play more Excite Truck.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

Yeah it's a good game but it's a bit weird they showcased their console with a game that could have been done using the Sony PS3 SIXAXIS® controller.

Oh yeah I forgot to ask; I preordered a WiiU when Gamestop still had the white basic console in stock. I chose next day shipping. Anyone who has dealt with them for this kind of thing...what are the odds of me getting it the day after launch?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah it's a good game but it's a bit weird they showcased their console with a game that could have been done using the Sony PS3 SIXAXIS® controller.

Oh yeah I forgot to ask; I preordered a WiiU when Gamestop still had the white basic console in stock. I chose next day shipping. Anyone who has dealt with them for this kind of thing...what are the odds of me getting it the day after launch?

I'd wager that depends on how many other people chose the same thing. It is a major console launch, remember.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That might be the most sensible Q&A they've had in a while. The last few have had some really ridiculous questions.
I wonder if any investors watched the last Game Center segment, maybe we can look forward to someone asking Iwata whether he's taking time off of his CEO duties to work on a game.

zenintrude posted:

I hope Monster is working on Excite Wave 1080 or something, just throw all the poor selling racing games together into something insane.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

japtor posted:

I hope Monster is working on Excite Wave 1080 or something, just throw all the poor selling racing games together into something insane.

I would love to go wave racing on top of a Monster Truck in snowboarding gear. It would be most metal. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Excitebots might have sold better if they'd bothered to release it outside of NA, or even if they'd just told people it existed.

They did eventually end up releasing it in Japan as a Club Nintendo prize, which was kinda odd.

• Locked thread