Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Chernabog posted:

A friend worked there as an artist. From what I gather he didn't really like it. He said he didn't learn much or get paid well. Take this with a grain of salt as it is not from my own experience. I have no personal opinion on them one way or the other.

I have heard this from two of my fellow artist friends who were formerly ANet employees. Take it for what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ceebee posted:

I have heard this from two of my fellow artist friends who were formerly ANet employees. Take it for what you will.

I've heard the same thing from multiple people.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm so glad I have no idea what's going on (other than skimming the posts here) and have not heard anything about this outside of this thread.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
A guy I know who worked in the gameplay side said he learned a ton at ArenaNet and it made it a better designer.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Looks like Jagex and Eutechnyx are at the careers fair at Teesside Uni. I really should get my arse in gear and get some more work on my portfolio.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

A Sloth posted:

Looks like Jagex and Eutechnyx are at the careers fair at Teesside Uni. I really should get my arse in gear and get some more work on my portfolio.

We have/had so many Teesside grads, it's crazy.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Mango Polo posted:

Quite sad that someone like that made a good person lose his job. The misogyny is absolutely unwarranted and disgusting, but she deserves the shitstorm and keeps fueling it.

I have no problem with being a fan of a company/series. I have no problem with being friends with PR. I have a problem with being unprofessional, which she exemplified. It's an issue in the industry at large, but seems far worse in Europe for some reason.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Art jobs are such a pain

A day in the life of a coder / designer / producer / qa (in the eyes of a sad lonely artist)

Hmm what to do today? Oh I know I'll apply for a job!

*applies for job*

*gets interview, possibly does test*

*gets a job*

A day in the life of an artist:

Hmm what to do today? Oh I know, spend all night working on my portfolio like I have been doing for the last 6 months so I can get out of this hellhole :smith:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Matlock posted:

I have no problem with being a fan of a company/series. I have no problem with being friends with PR. I have a problem with being unprofessional, which she exemplified. It's an issue in the industry at large, but seems far worse in Europe for some reason.

It's a very close and insular group. Everyone knows everyone.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

concerned mom posted:

Art jobs are such a pain

A day in the life of a coder / designer / producer / qa (in the eyes of a sad lonely artist)

*applies for job*

*gets a job*

Hmm what to do today? Oh I know, spend all night working on my portfolio like I have been doing for the last 6 months so I can get out of this hellhole :smith:

Heh, maybe I misheard the bloke, but somebody in charge of recruitment and so on at a games company told me that 3D is monkeys work and can be outsourced to China... but programming can't. Eh??? :argh:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Everyone hates everyone and no one understands what anyone else is doing.

Video Games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Everyone hates everyone and no one understands what anyone else is doing.

Video Games.

More like: Business.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Matlock posted:

Yes, it certainly is great that unprofessional reporters is a thing that only the gaming press has to deal with :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Art jobs are such a pain

*applies for job*

*gets a job*

And then you get a bite and they're like "Oh, yeah, your portfolio looks great! Here, do this art test. You have 2 days." So you do it and you bust your rear end on it and then they're all "Oh yeah, we already filled that position." So you ask if you can at least use the art test as a portfolio piece and they're like "No."

:smith:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Haha what. Why would you even ask if you can use the art test as a portfolio piece? They didn't pay you for that, they can get hosed if they don't like it.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

I now know not to ever ask for permission. :thumbsup:

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Knowledge Drop: If you do an art test for a company, aren't paid for it and didn't sign anything to the contrary, you can use it in your portfolio. Beware, however, other companies often recognize these pieces and that may be used against you if they know the test well.

If you are paid for your test, which does happen, it is not yours.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

If your portfolio is great then you shouldn't need to include the art test in it. You should have plenty of work to show off without needing to throw an art test in there. With that said, as long as you aren't including their work in your portfolio, you should be ok.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I've seen the combination of focus, pressure, and desperation produce some truly great art-test pieces, so I can see why people would want to include them in their portfolios.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I honestly find the whole art test thing pretty offensive (when unpaid). I am annoyed when I have to spend ~20 hours on programming tests and interviews for an engineering job. Asking people to do weeks or even months of work as a freaking application is just evil.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
As an artist my test was a bust with no specific timeframe. Pretty annoying when it's your first art test for the industry, fortunately I aced it. Unfortunately I should've applied to more places...lol.

I'm a freelance hobo bum right now, it feels pretty good. I'm leaving Cali and heading back to Boston (terrible timing, I know) but I've got my own agenda on my mind :D

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

DancingMachine posted:

I honestly find the whole art test thing pretty offensive (when unpaid). I am annoyed when I have to spend ~20 hours on programming tests and interviews for an engineering job. Asking people to do weeks or even months of work as a freaking application is just evil.

I generated 22 pages worth of stuff between the two design tests I did, so it's not like we get off any easier on our side of things. They gave me the test on Friday with instructions to have it back to them Monday at 9AM PST. I think I slept a total of 6 hours that weekend.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

wodin posted:

I generated 22 pages worth of stuff between the two design tests I did, so it's not like we get off any easier on our side of things.
Honestly, you guys get it way, way worse.

There are some bad programmer tests, but mostly, we get grilled in the interviews. Artists and designers are usually the ones spending weeks on single applications.

EDIT: One of my friends spent a week on a design test for an MMO lead design position, on a really cool unannounced game, only to be told "we're not hiring right now." THQ blew up a few weeks later.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 26, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I sympathize with the 'day in the life of an artist'. I have only one of two full (or even part) time sound design jobs in the entire province where I live. :bravo: The other job? My fellow sound designer, here at work.

I mean, I'm thankful that I actually have my job NOW, but before that... :smith:

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Monster w21 Faces posted:

It's a very close and insular group. Everyone knows everyone.

Are you referring to games journalism or Euro games journalism? Either way, as a member of the games press myself, I recognize the line of professionalism and strive to hold it. Knowing everyone else is no excuse.

As a sort of side note, I enjoy how thorough Polygon's stated ethics policy is.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Matlock posted:

Are you referring to games journalism or Euro games journalism? Either way, as a member of the games press myself, I recognize the line of professionalism and strive to hold it. Knowing everyone else is no excuse.

As a sort of side note, I enjoy how thorough Polygon's stated ethics policy is.

This whole thing has made me wonder just how much of what goes on with journalist/PR relationships that could be problematic under the Bribery Act, given that review scores could be seen as a commercial undertaking.

Also, Rab has written on what happened and to be fair to him, I can't really see that he's done anything particularly wrong here. Having read the original article, he makes it very clear that the examples used are to demonstrate how the relationship between journalist and PR can undermine future work by the journo. I guess naming names wasn't strictly necessary, but eh well.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Shalinor posted:

There are some bad programmer tests, but mostly, we get grilled in the interviews. Artists and designers are usually the ones spending weeks on single applications.

100x this.

Present a solution the interviewer doesn't understand (possibly because he doesn't understand the question?) -- WRONG. :)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 18, 2017

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
Artists and designers have it way worst when it comes to tests, because programming tests at the minimum have right and wrong answers (even if the code you've submitted is inefficient or naively written or whatever). Game design, especially, is such an iterative and interactive discipline that design tests (and interviews too, going by some of the questions former coworkers have come up with) are essentially meaningless as a measure of design skill. So it's not surprising that people could spend weeks or months on their design docs and not get hired.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone here work at Rocksteady, or know anyone who does? Would love to have a contact there but I've never come by someone who works there, unlike just about any other studio in this country. Would like to be known to them by the time they next start hiring for the next project.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

emoticon posted:

Artists and designers have it way worst when it comes to tests, because programming tests at the minimum have right and wrong answers (even if the code you've submitted is inefficient or naively written or whatever). Game design, especially, is such an iterative and interactive discipline that design tests (and interviews too, going by some of the questions former coworkers have come up with) are essentially meaningless as a measure of design skill. So it's not surprising that people could spend weeks or months on their design docs and not get hired.

I always used program tests as a soft skill test. I figure that anyone who really wanted a job in the industry would do anything he could to cheat so I didn't really care if it was right or wrong, I cared about :

• Did you cover edge cases?
  • Are your variables well named?
  • What's the amount of commenting? (Losing points for too much or too little)
  • Whatever style that you use, do you keep it consistent throughout?
etc...

Of course by progamming test I mean the portion of a written test that we'd send out that was free programming instead of answering bullshit questions that again everyone would cheat on. (What's a shortcut way of determining a power of 2 in C?) I think the test never quite caught on to the fact that google exists. The only thing I really used it for was deciding if it was worth phone-screening someone anyway, since HR would send them out to anyone who sent in a resume it seemed.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
Hello fellow industry goons. I'm trying to get back into the games industry after about 2 years of doing other type of work. My main expertise was technical compliance/standards for consoles and PCs for about 6 years. I wrote test cases and made sure my team caught all technical compliance failures during QA. I'm looking for anything similar to this role in the Los Angeles area. I currently live in Las Vegas but am willing to move if there is something out there. I've been searching for a few weeks and it looks like its hard to even get your foot into QA now a days. Looking for any goons who may have some leads into this type of position or even QA related. Thanks!

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

rndm posted:

Hello fellow industry goons. I'm trying to get back into the games industry after about 2 years of doing other type of work. My main expertise was technical compliance/standards for consoles and PCs for about 6 years. I wrote test cases and made sure my team caught all technical compliance failures during QA. I'm looking for anything similar to this role in the Los Angeles area. I currently live in Las Vegas but am willing to move if there is something out there. I've been searching for a few weeks and it looks like its hard to even get your foot into QA now a days. Looking for any goons who may have some leads into this type of position or even QA related. Thanks!

EA moved its compliance testing out of the bay area to madrid a while back so there's not a ton there that I'm aware of, just one position in redwood shores for a submissions lead, which if I recall right is the middle man between the first party cert guys and EA.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:

Juc66 posted:

EA moved its compliance testing out of the bay area to madrid a while back so there's not a ton there that I'm aware of, just one position in redwood shores for a submissions lead, which if I recall right is the middle man between the first party cert guys and EA.

Thanks for the tip, just the kind of position I was looking for. Any goons currently at EA in Redwood?

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
My team released its first mobile title today! It's called PIXLD, and I'm quite proud of it. Universal app for a buck, no in-app purchase nonsense, just a solid little puzzle game.

Hope y'all don't mind a little shameless self-promotion; the iOS market is pretty goddamned harrowing, and momentum is pretty critical. I'm gonna try to get a few codes to give away here and in the iOS games thread.

Hooray, shipping!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

typhus posted:

Hope y'all don't mind a little shameless self-promotion; the iOS market is pretty goddamned harrowing, and momentum is pretty critical. I'm gonna try to get a few codes to give away here and in the iOS games thread.
I think we all hype the crap out of our games in here. It's fine, everyone's excited when their game releases. Though I'd recommend throwing the codes into the App Store thread rather than here, or at least throw some over there.

EDIT: VV Congrats!

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 29, 2012

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
So I'm the technical director of a brand new games studio now: http://www.develop-online.net/news/42352/Beartrap-Games-is-latest-Scottish-developer

We've been talking about doing something for ages now (since Cohort shut it's doors a year and a half ago, in fact), getting made redundant (again) was kinda the final push to get going.

I'm equally excited and utterly terrified at this point...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Honest to god best of luck to you lot. UK devscene could do with some good news every now and then.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Smegbot posted:

So I'm the technical director of a brand new games studio now: http://www.develop-online.net/news/42352/Beartrap-Games-is-latest-Scottish-developer

We've been talking about doing something for ages now (since Cohort shut it's doors a year and a half ago, in fact), getting made redundant (again) was kinda the final push to get going.

I'm equally excited and utterly terrified at this point...

Hey good for you, I liked that page earlier on Facebook. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Congrats and all the best in the new startup, Smegbot! New folks in the UK are always great, and welcomed these days. :)

edit: bringing up a new train of though, what are people's choice of music while working? Recently for me it's been the Hotline miami soundtrack or all Ratatat's discography. I guess it's more of my mood/workload that affects the choice of music; it keeps me zen'd up

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 30, 2012