Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

Goddamnit something's in my eye, and I have a dog I need to go hug.

:qq:

Dog stories always get me, same with that god-damned loving horrible great Futurama episode. (Actually, that one and the one about his nephew always get to me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Just for the sake of your guys' emotional wellbeing, Clark does rescue Krypto from the Phantom Zone in the same issue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Everyone should buy it. You don't need to have read any of the previous issues to enjoy this one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Just for the sake of your guys' emotional wellbeing, Clark does rescue Krypto from the Phantom Zone in the same issue.

For a second there, when Clark pulled him out and he was all covered in ice all I could think was "Oh no they're gonna kill him, Morrison you son of a bitch!"... But then he saved him and it was all good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You guys all remember Loki's dog Thori, right? Well, currently, Loki's on the run, trying to save Asgard (and the world) from the hell he's unintentionally brought onto it. He's currently gotta break into Hel, but he's being pursued.

(The Hel-Wolf there is Thori's dad, and Loki's responsible for his death. He's a little mad about it)

from Journey Into Mystery 644

...Welp, that's enough time for you to have gone and hugged your dog again. Because Kieron Gillen doesn't tug at heartstrings, he stomps hearts and makes you feel bad the next page:

Aw, you think it's gonna be sad one way, then it's sad a different way. It'd be funny if I weren't tearing up...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 10, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are we still doing dog posts? Back story: guy finds a (robot) dog in the bushes and takes him home to fix him.
(read right to left)

Go pet you (robot) dog!

Pluto, volume 4.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

So much of Pluto could be posted here and it would all be great.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
gently caress, I've really got to get around to finishing Pluto some time but... :smith:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Sometimes Krypto rescues Superman:

(from Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow)

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Waterhaul posted:

So much of Pluto could be posted here and it would all be great.

That really is true. I need to do a re-read of Monster since so much of that and 20th Century Boys would fit in this or the Badass thread.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Journey Into Mystery #645,which is out today so just skip over this if you plan on getting it and wish to be completely unspoiled on the text:

Just one of those wonderful moments where art and dialogue combine to create something that manages to be truly lovely and touching purely on its own, never mind when taken in context with the rest of the issue.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

FF #23, also out today, could pretty much be posted in its entirety in this thread. The panels I'm picking aren't actually the first ones that made me tear up but are probably my favorites. I cannot wait to have Hickman's entire run in hardcover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

Sometimes Krypto rescues Superman:

The Supergirl scene is so much more heart wrenching. I'll see if I can dredge it up.

Hey look, my first post in this thread!

quote:

A short time before this story Supergirl had died in battle and Clark is preparing himself for the inevitable final battle.

"He looked as if he'd been crying."

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 25, 2012

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Journey Into Mystery #645,which is out today so just skip over this if you plan on getting it and wish to be completely unspoiled on the text:

Just one of those wonderful moments where art and dialogue combine to create something that manages to be truly lovely and touching purely on its own, never mind when taken in context with the rest of the issue.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Just to make sure I understood this issue right:
The Loki we've known so far in Journey is gone and the old Loki has taken over his mind?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Barbe Rouge posted:

Just to make sure I understood this issue right:
The Loki we've known so far in Journey is gone and the old Loki has taken over his mind?
That's how it appears, but it's Loki we're talking about, so we honestly won't know until there's an obvious heel turn, which will either be once Gillen's completely done writing him or immediately after.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The beginning of Punisher MAX #50.

I would give a kidney to write half as well as Garth Ennis on his A-game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedIcon posted:

The beginning of Punisher MAX #50.

It's a real shame about the Chaykin art, because that's some powerfully-written stuff.

Brubaker's last issue of Captain America was published this week. Cap gets closure on a recurring subplot of the run, which also acts as closure for the entire themes and stories of the run, as well as sums up who Captain America is as a person and it's just great stuff all around. But the important part is this:

Cap confronts what amounts to his evil twin in the hospital, and he thanks and salutes him.

Captain America #19 is on sale now and you should really buy it, it's a wonderful ending to Brubaker's stellar run and features a really cool afterword.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 27, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lurdiak posted:

It's a real shame about the Chaykin art, because that's some powerfully-written stuff.

Brubaker's last issue of Captain America was published this week. Cap gets closure on a recurring subplot of the run, which also acts as closure for the entire themes and stories of the run, as well as sums up who Captain America is as a person and it's just great stuff all around. But the important part is this:

Cap confronts what amounts to his evil twin in the hospital, and he thanks and salutes him.

Captain America #19 is on sale now and you should really buy it, it's a wonderful ending to Brubaker's stellar run and features a really cool afterword.

Where did his run start? I've heard nothing but good things about it but don't know where to start.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Len posted:

Where did his run start? I've heard nothing but good things about it but don't know where to start.
Brubaker's run started with Captain America: Winter Soldier.

v Or yeah, this is the more recent one.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 27, 2012

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Len posted:

The series got relaunched as Captain America #1 in 2004. I think it went back to the old numbering at issue 600, then there was a weird situation last year where the numbering of the book was given to Captain America And _____, of which Brubaker only wrote the first arc, as Captain America proper got re-relaunched at #1, before ending at issue 19. So yeah, I can see why you'd be confused. Start with this and work your way through the other trades and you should be all right.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Lurdiak posted:

The series got relaunched as Captain America #1 in 2004. I think it went back to the old numbering at issue 600, then there was a weird situation last year where the numbering of the book was given to Captain America And _____, of which Brubaker only wrote the first arc, as Captain America proper got re-relaunched at #1, before ending at issue 19. So yeah, I can see why you'd be confused. Start with this and work your way through the other trades and you should be all right.

I never got too far into that relaunch but from the few issues I read, it wasn't as strong as the previous volume. I'm gonna second the Winter Soldier ultimate collection trade as the best place to start - the latter half of that book is a definite high point of Brubaker's Marvel work.

Brubaker really felt like he lost steam after Reborn and I don't think he really got it back until Winter Soldier (the book) launched last year with real cool + trippy art from Butch Guice and Bettie Breitweiser.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Adam Strange posted:

Brubaker really felt like he lost steam after Reborn and I don't think he really got it back until Winter Soldier (the book) launched last year with real cool + trippy art from Butch Guice and Bettie Breitweiser.

I think the run remains solid for most of it, but it does have some lulls in quality. I think the relaunch mostly seemed weaker because it had less talented artists working on it. They were fine, but they just weren't quite on Epting's level. At any rate this final issue is a really good closer and everyone should buy it.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Apologies if this has been posted before, but reading Marvel: The Untold Story, I was reminded how amazing Steve Ditko was at Marvel. Here's some of his stuff from Amazing Spider-Man #33, "The Final Chapter."

After a one page recap explains that Aunt May is dying and only Spider-Man can save her, we get these pages, some of Ditko's best (unfortunately personal and political differences would cause Ditko to quit a few months later).

Still inspiring 45 years later! Lee is over-wordy as usual, but without the dialogue the story is told through the action (at this point Ditko was credited with "Plot and Illustration," because he came up with the story and drew it with minimal input from Lee, who added dialogue afterward). The issue also has an all-time heartwarming moment, when a completely exhausted and bruised Peter, fresh off standing up to Betty Brant and Jameson, checks up on Aunt May in the hospital:

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I feel sorry for anyone who ever tries to write Captain America after this, because Brubaker is going to be one hell of a tough act to follow. For my money, it's the definitive Cap.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Protocol 5 posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who ever tries to write Captain America after this, because Brubaker is going to be one hell of a tough act to follow. For my money, it's the definitive Cap.

Remender's choice to take him to outer space sounds like a really great idea placed in context.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Starman, though I can't remember the issue number. Solomon Grundy joined the cast and was strangely a lovable lug instead of a maliciously and violent monster. He gets along with the cast, but when in a hospital bed, he overhears Ted Knight discuss the time years ago Grundy killed his good friend. Horrified by these past actions, Grundy runs away and later reappears to save Jack Knight from a crumbling building.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, James Robinson really knew how to hit all the right notes to make me a crybaby.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

From Starman, though I can't remember the issue number. Solomon Grundy joined the cast and was strangely a lovable lug instead of a maliciously and violent monster. He gets along with the cast, but when in a hospital bed, he overhears Ted Knight discuss the time years ago Grundy killed his good friend. Horrified by these past actions, Grundy runs away and later reappears to save Jack Knight from a crumbling building.

Reminds me of that JLU episode where Grundy sacrifices himself and made Hawkgirl cried.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Reminds me of that JLU episode where Grundy sacrifices himself and made Hawkgirl cry.

And me too. Even worse was the follow-up episode where he gets brought back mindless and she has to put him down like Old Yeller.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Pretty much everything from that Starman run would be fitting in this thread.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Grundy is a character who's either a boring 'let's draw the bad guy getting beat up a ton because he'll just get back up' thing, or a tearjerker.

The former is kinda boring but sometimes results in a cool interpretation of his looks and style like Arkham City had, but drat the latter makes him totally worth it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Starman v2 #33. Sentinel, Starman, the Floronic Man and Batman eat a mystical fruit that transports them into Solomon Grundy's essence.

I just feel bad for Batman. :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's a great scene in that arc where Batman is being snarky to Alan and Jack chews him a new one for disrespecting a legend, and says he doesn't care if Batman has a go at him, but there's no way in hell he'll let Batman talk to Alan that way, and honestly, it could go in this thread or the badass thread.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's a great scene in that arc where Batman is being snarky to Alan and Jack chews him a new one for disrespecting a legend, and says he doesn't care if Batman has a go at him, but there's no way in hell he'll let Batman talk to Alan that way, and honestly, it could go in this thread or the badass thread.

There's a great comic relief scene as well, when Jack tries to get everyone to name their favorite Woody Allen movies. Batman is annoyed, but he finally admits his is Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This one?

One of my favorite things about Starman is that so much of it was a love letter to the nearly forgotten early 19th century superheroes. I think Garrick gets mentioned by name more than any other Flash even.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Tell Tedstar Good Grundy was Good Grundy."

:cry:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I started trying to type out my favorite sentimental moments in Starman and then realized I had too many.

edit: also, it's great that Jack as a character feels like a reaction to the gritty awfulness of costume comics at the time, and points it out to Batman directly in the comic, but Batman is still written respectably even if he is shown extra-abrasive. It feels along the lines of Ennis showing Superman respect when using him in Hitman.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 30, 2012

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also here's the Woody Allen conversation that was brought up since it was one of my favorite moments in a cross-over including Batman. The first two pages come shortly after meeting Cyrus Gold in Grundy's subconscious, the last coming at the end of the arc as Batman's leaving.

EDIT: The problem with posting Starman is while looking for these pages I found probably a dozen more in the process that I could be posted here but don't want to just end up throwing the entire series on here.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 30, 2012

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I started trying to type out my favorite sentimental moments in Starman and then realized I had too many.

Re-read it after you have a kid. Or after your dad dies. No wait actually don't, that is a terrible idea. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Chinaman7000 posted:

edit: also, it's great that Jack as a character feels like a reaction to the gritty awfulness of costume comics at the time, and points it out to Batman directly in the comic, but Batman is still written respectably even if he is shown extra-abrasive. It feels along the lines of Ennis showing Superman respect when using him in Hitman.

I think the most telling moment in Robinson's Starman is when Jack - at his father's urging - finally decides he's going to have to do the Starman thing, but then promptly turns around and yells at his Dad for having discovered an incredible clean energy source and using it solely to fight crime. Paraphrasing, he says something along the lines of "you should have been building power plants, Dad, or clean cars. So that's the deal - you do all of that stuff, and I'll be Starman."

Because in a way it's an echo of the age-old problem with any superhero comic that involves Comic Book Science - eventually every reader gets around to wondering "why does the comics universe resemble our universe at all with all this super-tech?" We know it's so that the comics remain vaguely relatable, but that answer never sits well. So with that speech to Ted Knight, Jack was asking the same sorts of questions that we, the readers, ask - and we immediately felt a kinship with him as a result.

All of which serves to make the eventual appearance of Ted Knight's Flying Car - which I cannot seem to find an image of which makes me sad because it's gorgeous - that much sweeter.