Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The special ability. You know how there are MIRV grenades that make child grenades? The CC's pellets split in flight until they hit something. So it'll basically hit anything and everything, and often hit them alot.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_Call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lotish posted:

The special ability. You know how there are MIRV grenades that make child grenades? The CC's pellets split in flight until they hit something. So it'll basically hit anything and everything, and often hit them alot.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_Call
Wow, does that send the frame rate to hell or anything?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Speedboat Jones posted:

then one of my buddies and I did some Flesh-Stick boosting

I get random texts from my friends that say "There he is, Flesh-Stick." We must have heard that thousands of times.

Brain Curry fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 29, 2012

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've never had a problem with just one, but gunzerking with two conference calls will slow the game down.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

BonerGlug posted:

Speaking of Hammerlock, I never found him particularly funny. He kinda failed as a character for me, even past the whole bonerfart thing. I wonder if anyone has ever said bonerfart in all of history before BL2?
Hmmmm. I wonder that too!

AxemRed posted:

People use the Conference Call for something other than farming bosses?
I'd hope so; if it can kill bosses that easily I'm sure it'd be effective on, well, anything else. Otherwise, that's just stupid.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Captain McStabbin posted:

I've never had a problem with just one, but gunzerking with two conference calls will slow the game down.
Gunzerking with conference calls. It's so much fun to even just talk about this game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish I could say, because I still haven't gotten one. :qq:

AxemRed
Nov 7, 2011

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I'd hope so; if it can kill bosses that easily I'm sure it'd be effective on, well, anything else. Otherwise, that's just stupid.

I just never found one that was worthwhile, outside of having one for the "Loadsabullets" gimmick for bosses. I guess the rarity of it doesn't help either.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
It works fine for regular enemies, but the reason it's so broken is because of the Bee. If you take any hit it becomes just a very good gun, and I have a ton of very good guns.

Edit: I farmed a Bee, but it has like a 6 recharge delay. Ugh.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

jackofarcades posted:

It works fine for regular enemies, but the reason it's so broken is because of the Bee. If you take any hit it becomes just a very good gun, and I have a ton of very good guns.

Edit: I farmed a Bee, but it has like a 6 recharge delay. Ugh.

I wonder if gibbed's editor will allow you to change the recharge delay on shields like the Bee? I remember dis astringent (sp?) saying the shield editing in the game is fairly limited as far as sanity checks go.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Nevermind. Answered my own question.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 29, 2012

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I always thought "Bonerfart" was something so deafeningly unfunny, it creates a comedy black hole and becomes funny because of that very fact.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know it sure did when I used them on a max-anarchy +firerate stacking Gaige and took the Ricochet perk. Fire at the floor, the xbox locks up for like 5 seconds, come back to everything dead

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

caligulamprey posted:

I always thought "Bonerfart" was something so deafeningly unfunny, it creates a comedy black hole and becomes funny because of that very fact.

Well really, by itself it's just stupid and childish, it's the fact that it's the result of someone just saying 'gently caress it' and going with the shittiest name possible is where the actual joke is.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Was anyone paying attention? The word bonerfart is not in and of itself supposed to be funny. What's funny is that you've got a posh Imperial Brit safariman who has finally lost his cool and decides to call the animals something stupid as a petty revenge. The word's supposed to be stupid--it's use in context is what's funny. Come on, guys.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Glug_Glug posted:

In a fight, I think I heard a bandit yell out "I'm the one who knocks!". I might have misheard it, anyone else hear that?

You heard right, Midgets sometimes shout it.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestonJew posted:

Speaking of midgets, I love how midget goliaths are really just the same goliath voice actor's recordings being raised to a higher pitch. Same angry man with a higher voice.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Think about how you'd feel around the time you leveled up for the second or third time in TVHM and that Conference Call wasn't making any kind of dent in the enemies' health bars. Be glad you didn't get one!

It's not that severe if you farm good purples from normal Warrior. Quite a few of mine lasted through TVHM Tundra Express. I wouldn't recommend farming it into the ground, but a half dozen runs before starting TVHM aren't wasted.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The only thing worse than bonerfarts are people who complain about the word bonerfart being used in the game.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Lotish posted:

Was anyone paying attention? The word bonerfart is not in and of itself supposed to be funny. What's funny is that you've got a posh Imperial Brit safariman who has finally lost his cool and decides to call the animals something stupid as a petty revenge. The word's supposed to be stupid--it's use in context is what's funny. Come on, guys.
Well, there's that and the fact that some of us still laugh at things our inner child finds funny because we're not concerned with feeling immature over it. Reminds me of the time I got a one dollar bill where someone had added a big B and R to the back of the bill in black magic marker so it now read "BONER" down the back. Completely lost it when I unfolded that bill. Still makes me chuckle to this day. That was a few months ago. I hope it's still changing hands and spreading laughs and not in some bank vault somewhere, collecting dust.

Go on, give in, laugh. It's okay!

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Speedboat Jones posted:

Speaking of midgets, I love how midget goliaths are really just the same goliath voice actor's recordings being raised to a higher pitch. Same angry man with a higher voice.

I laughed pretty hard the first time I heard GONNA... FLOSS... WITH... YOUR... SPINE!!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Every time I read this thread and see people gushing about the writing and the jokes in this game, I get really confused. I found very little dialogue to be funny or well-written. Every time I have to do anything involving Tiny Tina, I want to just turn the game off. I'd rather it be more quiet and lonely, like the first game.

I chuckle at some things, but more often than not, I'm either cringing or mocking it with my friends. At this point, I'd rather have the option to skip every piece of dialogue and just be able to kill bandits in peace.

Remember how the writers behind Portal 2 said that they wanted to make a script without any lines that could easily be made into memes? I feel that Borderlands 2 went the exact opposite direction, and it just rubs me the wrong way.

And as far as the non-comedy stuff, I thought things might be getting interesting when Jack was pleading with you to not kill his daughter, but nope, he really, really WAS just trying to guilt-trip you out of it. Or was he? He seems pretty bitter and spiteful after the fact. But no, the audio tapes about his past reveal that he's just a monster. Bloodwing was just some bird, and Roland was far too boring to care about.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade; I know different people have different tastes. Hell, I loved Saints Row 3, and that's got tons of wacky, immature poo poo in it.

But, seriously, gently caress Tiny Tina.

(Also, I thought "bonerfarts" was funny in context.)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

GANDHITRON posted:

Ok thems fightin words. Tiny Tina is my favourite part of the game. After 2+1/2 play throughs I still crack up every time over "Climb the pipe to the train or you'll go insane wut wut. That's a rap song i wrote."

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

That's just awesome. I had to pause and tell my sister what I just heard. The Three Dog gun was a pretty neat reference as well. I think the incidental dialogue is funnier then the main stuff, actually. Except for Handsome Jack who is very well written and voice acted. Ellie(?) was amazing too. She might be the first well written fat chick in video game history. I like how she embraced it and made it apart of her personality.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

BGrifter posted:

Ok thems fightin words. Tiny Tina is my favourite part of the game. After 2+1/2 play throughs I still crack up every time over "Climb the pipe to the train or you'll go insane wut wut. That's a rap song i wrote."

You must be quite easily amused

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

GANDHITRON posted:

Every time I read this thread and see people gushing about the writing and the jokes in this game, I get really confused. I found very little dialogue to be funny or well-written. Every time I have to do anything involving Tiny Tina, I want to just turn the game off. I'd rather it be more quiet and lonely, like the first game.

I chuckle at some things, but more often than not, I'm either cringing or mocking it with my friends. At this point, I'd rather have the option to skip every piece of dialogue and just be able to kill bandits in peace.

Remember how the writers behind Portal 2 said that they wanted to make a script without any lines that could easily be made into memes? I feel that Borderlands 2 went the exact opposite direction, and it just rubs me the wrong way.

And as far as the non-comedy stuff, I thought things might be getting interesting when Jack was pleading with you to not kill his daughter, but nope, he really, really WAS just trying to guilt-trip you out of it. Or was he? He seems pretty bitter and spiteful after the fact. But no, the audio tapes about his past reveal that he's just a monster. Bloodwing was just some bird, and Roland was far too boring to care about.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade; I know different people have different tastes. Hell, I loved Saints Row 3, and that's got tons of wacky, immature poo poo in it.

I actually agree with you on some things. I generally feel like the odd man out on not liking Tiny Tina because I just find the 13-year old girl acting all street is kind of played out and forced. However I cared about Bloodwing mostly because Mordecai was the first character I brought up to the level cap in the first game and Roland was the character my buddy always played. Plus, maybe I'm just an idiot that assumes people are good, but I thought of Jack as a misguided monster. Like yeah, he shouldn't have exploited Angel to further his career, but it also seemed like he was doing everything besides freeing her to make her as comfortable and safe as possible, which is saying quite a bit considering she's on Pandora.

So yeah, lots of things were pretty funny, though I rarely ever just started cracking up. Mostly just chuckles, like you said. It's not an unfunny game by any means and I'm sure I'll wind up playing it over and over again, but I also feel like this is another case of goon hyperbole.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bland posted:

You must be quite easily amused

I'd argue this, but I've ground out three Baby Makers so far and I'm working on grinding out an elemental Bitch or two, so um, yeah...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Most of the funny stuff in the game is really the enemy dialogue. Nothing better than a crazed man running at you screaming "Bring me a bucket... and I'LL SHOW YOU A BUCKET." They also gave some of the generic bandits goofy redneck voices, and that's silly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Monkey Fracas posted:

Most of the funny stuff in the game is really the enemy dialogue. Nothing better than a crazed man running at you screaming "Bring me a bucket... and I'LL SHOW YOU A BUCKET." They also gave some of the generic bandits goofy redneck voices, and that's silly.

In the sidequest early in the game where you go to kill the four undercover Hyperion assassins, if you advance slowly as you go in you can hear three psychos talking to each other about their mom, and it's bizarrely hilarious.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I dunno, I liked some of the really obvious stuff like Face McShooty but I guess that's frowned upon in the thread.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Man I liked a lot of Tiny Tina's dialogue and I still think the train bit is really lame. v:shobon:v

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

GANDHITRON posted:

I agree with the Tiny Tina hate, she is the least funny 'funny' characters in the game.

But gently caress you for not caring about Bloodwing :smith:

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Fun fact about the spoilers above (pretty big spoiler for those who recently purchased so yeah, don't read it) If you walk up and actually inspect the collar on Slagged Bloodwing, you can see just how god drat dumb the Vault Hunters are. The data is clipped on to the collar with a clothespin and you can see a brick of "C6" or something like that (supposed to be "C4 OF THE FUTURE," I guess) taped to the back of the collar. It's pretty much a trap only a moron couldn't see.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I might be done with Borderlands 2, which is sad because I planned on buying the season pass shortly. I've tried four times to do all the quests, and each time I lose some important quest item down a cliff or the enemy I'm supposed to kill just vanishes. You were loads of run Borderlands.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

I actually agree with you on some things. I generally feel like the odd man out on not liking Tiny Tina because I just find the 13-year old girl acting all street is kind of played out and forced. However I cared about Bloodwing mostly because Mordecai was the first character I brought up to the level cap in the first game and Roland was the character my buddy always played.

I actually played as Roland in the first game. He seemed vibrant and kind of happy to be on Pandora, quoting Queen after getting kills and everything. "I just keep gettin' better and better!" Contrast this with the new Roland, who I think was made stoical and clichéd for the sake of giving the good guys a leader for the first few acts. I think he could've been handled better.

Plus, maybe I'm just an idiot that assumes people are good, but I thought of Jack as a misguided monster. Like yeah, he shouldn't have exploited Angel to further his career, but it also seemed like he was doing everything besides freeing her to make her as comfortable and safe as possible, which is saying quite a bit considering she's on Pandora.

I think there was a lot of potential to make Jack a really interesting character. He at least thought he was making Pandora a safer place, though I'm not sure how slaughtering every single civilian settlement would lead to that. Chalk that one up to being plain ol' crazy, I guess.

The log where he forces Angel into the chamber when she was young cemented him as totally monstrous in my mind, but you are right about him trying to keep her safe. Whether or not he cared for her as a person, a reminder of his wife, or just as his daughter is another question.

I had a thought that his really glib and immature style of taunting might've had to do with his background as a mere programmer for Hyperion (most of his dialogue seems like it could've been written by a real life "web 2.0 empowered, everything is awesome" kind of geek) but I don't think that's what the writers intended since every single person on Pandora speaks the same way.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, I like the bandits because everything they say straddles a line between silly and threatening. It's always startling to hear some psycho scream something entirely nonsensical right next to you while you were busy popping away at some nomad. Their weapon names are amazing, too.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Are you on PS3 or XBOX? Can't help with the latter. Nevermind; no power!

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 16, 2012

Crackatastic
May 13, 2005

Ayo, I kinda like your natural scent.
*NO HOMO*
Goddammit. I've spent days farming for a maggie and CC, and still no drop :cry: can someone put me out of my misery?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Edit: ^^^Sure. Repeat after me: "Stop farming for a Maggie. The game is still fun without it." :v:

The General posted:

I might be done with Borderlands 2, which is sad because I planned on buying the season pass shortly. I've tried four times to do all the quests, and each time I lose some important quest item down a cliff or the enemy I'm supposed to kill just vanishes. You were loads of run Borderlands.
Wait, what? Which quests are these? I've never had important quest items go down a cliff unless it was a "kill this kind of monster for these things" and that just entailed "find another of that kind of monster to kill." And that only happened with flying monsters, like Rakks or Buzzards.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GANDHITRON posted:

Yeah, I like the bandits because everything they say straddles a line between silly and threatening. It's always startling to hear some psycho scream something entirely nonsensical right next to you while you were busy popping away at some nomad. Their weapon names are amazing, too.
My favorite thing to hear from a bandit so far is "I've been shot in the face before! I can take it!!"

I was looking through a Japanese wiki to see how they translated the weird-rear end item names and...they didn't, they left them all exactly as is. They didn't even transliterate them into Japanese script. They translated some of the red flavor text but sometimes to something completely different, and sometimes they didn't even bother. With that and the much more generic and less interesting voice acting it's clear that they cheaped out on the localization something fierce. But for item names, I can't even think of how they COULD have localized them effectively, they are just so drat wacky.

edit: they also didn't localize any character or enemy names in any way. A lot of people in Japan complain about half-assed localizations like this as why Western games don't take off there, but I guess it's a circular argument.

Also bothersome is how "bonus explosive damage" was just transliterated rather than translated properly, and yet they didn't even go THAT far for the item names.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 30, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I remember I had a quest item drop off a cliff in the dust when a bandit tactical I blew up sailed over the edge of the map. The solution was to quit, save, and continue, and then another guy spawned with the item. It also happened with Face McShooty: After I blew him to smithereens, all his bits tumbled into the canyon. When I quit, saved, and continued, he respawned as a horrible, fleshless zombie with a mohawk. :cry:

I don't think it's ever possible for a quest item to be lost for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Samurai Sanders posted:

My favorite thing to hear from a bandit so far is "I've been shot in the face before! I can take it!!"

I was looking through a Japanese wiki to see how they translated the weird-rear end item names and...they didn't, they left them all exactly as is. They didn't even transliterate them into Japanese script. They translated some of the red flavor text but sometimes to something completely different, and sometimes they didn't even bother. With that and the much more generic and less interesting voice acting it's clear that they cheaped out on the localization something fierce. But for item names, I can't even think of how they COULD have localized them effectively, they are just so drat wacky.

edit: they also didn't localize any character or enemy names in any way. A lot of people in Japan complain about half-assed localizations like this as why Western games don't take off there, but I guess it's a circular argument.

Also bothersome is how "bonus explosive damage" was just transliterated rather than translated properly, and yet they didn't even go THAT far for the item names.

The Japanese translation job was extraordinarily half-assed. It seems like half the lines are mistranslated, characters are miscast all over the place, and of course there's the problem you mentioned where every proper noun is left as English. I can sort of understand why, given that they probably didn't want to dish out too much money for a quality translation job that relatively few people would appreciate, but... yeah. Very disappointing.

Then again, doing a translation job for a game like Borderlands would be terrible. You'd pretty much have to figure out entirely new pop culture references that fit the context every few lines, since leaving them in as-is would be hopelessly confusing even if you did translate them. Nobody would pay as much as a job like that would warrant.

• Locked thread