Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Archonex posted:

So the interceptor vehicle completely breaks the game, if anyone was wondering. Forget lockbox gear, this thing is a complete gamebreaker.

You can move in combat as fast as about tier 3 flight, can actively kite any mob to death thanks to your guns and speed letting you fire out of their range, and you get a number of abilities that basically have you spew explosions everywhere. And that's before you get into the fact that it has fairly decent HP, can instantly recharge it's energy bar, and doesn't need to deal with energy builders to get energy back. Also, the basic attack costs no energy and can slaughter normal mobs.

It's glorious.

Also, apparently one of the new upcoming alerts takes place on a SHIELD style helicarrier high in the sky. It's designed for flight and vehicle users, and from the sound of it has you fight on the deck of the ship against a horde of destroids and megadestroids.

They had better not cock this poo poo up. :argh:

My big complaint about vehicles is that they have bizarro controls. Though, that's probably me wanting to fly strafing and bombing runs and not have the mobs reset because I flew out of their range. I originally bought the jet for my Batman toon, but it's been stuck on my main because being able to cross the desert in about 10 seconds for my daily quests is :black101:. Also, the interceptor's charge up that drains all its power was amazing in the bloodmoon vs 50 zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I got around that by reconfiguring my control scheme. CO has an absolutely absurd amount of customization options on that front.

It's gotten to the point where you can literally turn the game into a targetless action based brawler, a hotbar style MMO (What it defaults too.), or even a third or first person shooter. The latter of which actually works if you pick up the right powers (Munitions for instance will display your weapon on the lower side of your screen in first person.).

No matter what, you should make it so you can auto attack without targeting, decide if you want the game to automatically target objects or not, and make it so that you can auto attack anything at the center of your screen. Turn on a reticle after that (If you're not good at using TLAR (That looks about right.) measurements.) and you're good to go.

That turns on some of the stuff that basically lets you turn the game into a shooter/brawler, but has it so that you don't have all of the settings for that enabled. This lets you keep some of the hotbar aspects for comfort/accessibility.

It also makes combat a lot more enjoyable and accessible, since you no longer need to tab target at all for most powers. Just orient yourself towards a target, hit a skill, and it will trigger on an object or enemy.

If you have a ranged set like munitions, you can do a lot of neat stuff with that setup. Or if you're a melee skill user like Might, you can basically flip and leap all over the place very easily now, all while punching people into trucks.

The only real problem i've had with using a FPS/DCUO style scheme like that is that at times I find myself oriented to a target I don't want to look at. That's another option that isn't really an issue in normal gameplay, but can be somewhat disorienting in a vehicle given the insane speed you have.

I got around that by disabling target orienting, which has you point towards targets/things you attack automatically. Which means that with a controller I tend to strafe buildings in Millenium City with high explosive rockets and death rays now, while cackling like a maniac and getting fairly impressive XP.

Really, the only way these vehicles could get any better would be if I could have someone ride on the hood while I ascend up and down.

That way I could find a buddy, and surprise other players and NPC's by having not only my gatling guns and rocket launchers open up on someone as I raise up above the roof, but act as a transport to deposit an angry bruiser to deal with the left-overs as I prep for my second attack run. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 23, 2012

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This sounds like exactly what I wanted with my BatHawkjet. I'm going to have to play around with this soon. I can imagine nothing better than screaming down the street blowing away the mooks in Little Italy while all the pubbies stare slack-jawed. It's a shame the game (probably, correct me if I'm wrong) won't recognize when I'm in jet mode and when I'm in ground mode.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
It's incredible to me that every single time I try to log on I have to patch, yet none of the bugs ever seem to get fixed and the only add new content sporadically. What are these mystery patches I am downloading?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cuchulain posted:

It's incredible to me that every single time I try to log on I have to patch, yet none of the bugs ever seem to get fixed and the only add new content sporadically. What are these mystery patches I am downloading?

Each patch fixes 2 alert bosses and breaks 2 more in an endless cycle.

LJHalfbreed
Apr 3, 2009
For what it's worth, I just recently picked this back up after almost a full 2 year hiatus.

I'm @LJHalfbreed if you guys want to say hi (or, you know... invite me to the SG).

I mainly play tanks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a new travel power in the Q store:

quote:

Shadow Skull Flight travel power, available now in the Q-Store!

With this travel power, you'll be able to transform into a flying, smoke spewing skull and soar through the air. This noncombat travel power will terrify your enemies — and maybe your friends as well!
Picture here.

Also, the rolling Q store sale is back. Starting tomorrow, each of the Q TPs will be on sale for 24 hours at 50% off.

10/26: Hyper Ball
10/27: Electro Flight
10/28: Mystic Flight
10/29: Chain Swinging
10/30: Energy Swinging
10/31: Vine Swinging

Then finally on November 1st, the Cyberpunk costume set and Rank 6 mods are 30% off.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Aphrodite posted:

There's a new travel power in the Q store:

Picture here.

Also, the rolling Q store sale is back. Starting tomorrow, each of the Q TPs will be on sale for 24 hours at 50% off.

10/26: Hyper Ball
10/27: Electro Flight
10/28: Mystic Flight
10/29: Chain Swinging
10/30: Energy Swinging
10/31: Vine Swinging

Then finally on November 1st, the Cyberpunk costume set and Rank 6 mods are 30% off.

Buy these. I bought almost every one of them during the last sale. So glad I did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

200k for the Skull flight, by the way.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That is the silliest travel power I've seen in any game. Giant glowing skull as a mode of transportation. What can even use that and make any sense? Necromancers? Eldritch horrors? Skull Man?

Pretty good go-to weirdass choice for nonsense characters though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Ghost Rider"

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Kelp Plankton posted:

That is the silliest travel power I've seen in any game. Giant glowing skull as a mode of transportation. What can even use that and make any sense? Necromancers? Eldritch horrors? Skull Man?

I am calling dibs on Skull Man. Making it happen when I get home.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Zombie Pac-Man

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have you had BREAK YOU today?!

I call it... McBane.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's gonna sit with Hyper Ball in the list of travel powers with a really inefficient ratio of effort to people actually liking them.

Although granted I think the skull's more usable. Hyper Ball has one concept it works for, and that's Samus Aran.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sonic the Hedgehog, Bouncing Boy, and the fat kid from Hook.

Seriously it's like you're not even trying.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

It's gonna sit with Hyper Ball in the list of travel powers with a really inefficient ratio of effort to people actually liking them.

Although granted I think the skull's more usable. Hyper Ball has one concept it works for, and that's Samus Aran.

My Man Samus wants it at some point, but yeah, there's tons of concepts it works for. Speaking of, I'm going to go buy the Geo set and make The Rolling Stone.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Did they ever add in more arm cannon type costume bits? I remember the only ones were these gigantic goofy looking fatguns, while NPCs get all kinds of miniguns and stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

BlueDestiny posted:

Did they ever add in more arm cannon type costume bits? I remember the only ones were these gigantic goofy looking fatguns, while NPCs get all kinds of miniguns and stuff.

You can unlock Mechassassin's gun arm (this motherfucker) with Drifter Salvage, but I don't evne know how you get that at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, by the way...

quote:

-Player character will now visibly ride the "Grav Bike" vehicle!

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Cleretic posted:

You can unlock Mechassassin's gun arm (this motherfucker) with Drifter Salvage, but I don't evne know how you get that at this point.

The way you typically got drifter salvage of that magnitude was doing the Drifter daily missions - none of which are really running right now, unfortunately.

There's also Warlord's cannon arm, which can be unlocked by defeating him in his currently-running alert. Of course, the chances of him actually dropping the part you want (let alone a costume part at all) are disastrously slim.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, by the way...

Just checked that out. Not bad at all; handles variable bodytypes better than I thought it would!

Of course, those wrists look very painful. That, and you don't move at all while riding your bike around.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm thinking about giving this a go since CoH is closing down soon. My one concern (as an STO player) is that CO's gameplay is going to be pretty much exactly the same as STO's ground combat (which sucks). Is that true, or is it actually fun?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drone posted:

I'm thinking about giving this a go since CoH is closing down soon. My one concern (as an STO player) is that CO's gameplay is going to be pretty much exactly the same as STO's ground combat (which sucks). Is that true, or is it actually fun?

STO's ground combat is a little based on CO, but in CO you destroy the majority of an enemy pack in the first hit. It's not a grind like STO's.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Drone posted:

It's pretty fun. As mentioned, things die quickly (with the exception of the occasional tougher opponents that are sometimes mixed in with packs of dudes). The combat is a touch more action-y, however, since certain opponents will occasionally do big "telegraph attacks" that'll deal a shitload of damage or do something bad unless you're able to block them.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
Is there any point to doing anything other than vendoring green-quality bind on equip gear you don't need?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yin posted:

Is there any point to doing anything other than vendoring green-quality bind on equip gear you don't need?

Nope.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!

Follow-up question, is there a way to be able to sell things to a vendor and use the bank without having to run all over the place?

Edit: I load maps really fast if that helps.

Yin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 30, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can you access the regular bank from your hideout yet? If not, nope.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!

Aphrodite posted:

Can you access the regular bank from your hideout yet? If not, nope.

What do you mean by 'yet'? How do you get your hideout to have a bank in it? I wasn't aware your hideout could have a vendor in it either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yin posted:

What do you mean by 'yet'? How do you get your hideout to have a bank in it? I wasn't aware your hideout could have a vendor in it either.

No vendor, but it remembers your place when you teleport back from there.

And they keep talking about adding other stuff to hideouts. I can't remember if they did it or not yet.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yin posted:

You can store it in your shared bank account in your hideout for alts to use. Usually, though, it's best to either sell it for quick money at a generic vendor, or be philanthropic, and sell it in the auction house.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
I finally got a toon to 40, pretty happy about it! Now I want to get him some gear to round him out. Unfortunately I don't really know anything about max level gearing. Also there are some issues I need to address.

Despite being a DPS and using an offensive passive I end up having to tank a whole lot in alerts, I do a lot of damage, but luckily my build has a whole lot of dodge and Rank 2 Masterful Dodge with Unfettered Strikes. It seems like my build is fantastic, but I'd like to make his dodge even beefier so I can take more abuse.

My current big weakness is knock resistance. Once Elusive Monk is stacked up I have plenty to avoid getting knocked back when I'm blocking. However getting hit with a ranged knockback while I'm trying to aoe can be instant death. I need a good way to counteract this.

Aside from that stuff, I just really need to know what to farm. I need gear and I need questionite. I've got the 16K per day refine cap. Any tips?

Edit: Oh and I need to do something about my Equilibrium so I can open with Implosion engine. It's at 40, and with lock n load active Implosion Engine is 65 energy, I got to make up that difference.

Yin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 1, 2012

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yin posted:

I finally got a toon to 40, pretty happy about it! Now I want to get him some gear to round him out. Unfortunately I don't really know anything about max level gearing. Also there are some issues I need to address.

Despite being a DPS and using an offensive passive I end up having to tank a whole lot in alerts, I do a lot of damage, but luckily my build has a whole lot of dodge and Rank 2 Masterful Dodge with Unfettered Strikes. It seems like my build is fantastic, but I'd like to make his dodge even beefier so I can take more abuse.

My current big weakness is knock resistance. Once Elusive Monk is stacked up I have plenty to avoid getting knocked back when I'm blocking. However getting hit with a ranged knockback while I'm trying to aoe can be instant death. I need a good way to counteract this.

Aside from that stuff, I just really need to know what to farm. I need gear and I need questionite. I've got the 16K per day refine cap. Any tips?

Edit: Oh and I need to do something about my Equilibrium so I can open with Implosion engine. It's at 40, and with lock n load active Implosion Engine is 65 energy, I got to make up that difference.

Your main answer to this is that in Alerts that aren't Gravitar, pubbie 'tanks' are horrible piles of incompetence with low DPS. They'll do things like pull all the mobs, not kill the adds, and never take any +Threat advantages to offset the lack of DPS.

They are universally terrible. It's not you, it's them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, pretty much. If you have any clue how to play the game and are actually pushing buttons, you're going to pull aggro. And likely hold it even if you spend half the match blocking. People here and in the STO thread keep saying pubbies are bad, but it's hard to accurately state just how bad they are.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Yin posted:

Everything I'm about to say is a couple months old, but I don't think it's changed much:

Everyone's weakness is knock resistance, pretty much. It can't be found on gear since the On Alert patch. Can't really help you there.

As for gear, Silver Champions recognition gear for primary slots is the standard. 3 mod slots in each, good stats. You get Silver Champion recognition from doing UNITY missions, which are open to you now that you're level 40. From what I've been told, the 4-slot gear available from lockboxes would be better, but that would require buying a lot of keys.

For secondaries, I just use purples from the player market. Questionite secondaries are slightly stronger but not enough to justify the extra effort required, in my opinion.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
Well sure, I know the reason I'm tanking all the time is the pugs are bad, but at the same time, at the end of the day I'm still tanking. So I'd like the have the necessary tools.

I can handle MOST encounters but there are a few that do crazy damage outside their 'big damage incoming' indicators, and I'd like to get some more dodge for those.

Should I be trying to get stats other than my primary and secondaries? I'm running DEX, INT, EGO. I'm wondering if the game intends for you to sprinkle in some other stats here and there, because I've ignored everything but those.

Yin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 1, 2012

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yin posted:

Should I be trying to get stats other than my primary and secondaries? I'm running DEX, INT, EGO. I'm wondering if the game intends for you to sprinkle in some other stats here and there, because I've ignored everything but those.

The way the game's set up, it's mostly safe to do just that. Particularly, if your specializations scaling off your superstats are balanced (i.e. dodge boosting based off of dexterity). If you want better defense, experiment with various gear types and mods. The impression I get is that it's almost always better to try and find the mods that will generate the desired effect instead of devoting a few points to any given stat. Except health boosts on growth gems; they seem to be very weak for some reason.

Using stats outside of your superstats is an okay tactic, especially if you've got specs that only scale with very specific stats or with non-superstats. For most of the part, though, I find most of my non-superstat buffs are due to equipment that has stat buffs that aren't directly in-line with my build.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Also, while not 'optimal,' I found that my Night Warrior build had one Power Point unaccounted for. With all my bases covered, I ended up taking a second slotted passive for tanking. It's worked well for me so far. It doesn't make me a main tank by any stretch, since it's an unranked Lightning Reflexes, but for alert bosses when I lose the pubbie lottery, I can switch into LR and tank. I often do it for groups that are all DPS (since I have BCR with RR), or where there is some shitlord of a ranged pubbie pulling aggro and kiting the boss.

At what point did you think a strategy that gimps melee DPS was a good idea in a timed boss fight, pubbie?

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Yin posted:

For a character without a defense passive, I'd use one mod slot to pick up some CON, personally. Dodge is good for general survival, but with only 4k health a missed dodge could mean a one-hit death in some situations. If that's not been an issue for you then ignore my advice, but it was a problem for my Radiant AT in some alerts until I raised his health up to 5k or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I might be devaluating the importance of max. health. I have a tendency to make metal-slime builds; high defense, lots of heals, and aside from any CON superstatting, fuckall boosts to health.

Only build I have that utilizes heavily boosted health is a might tank that runs in the tank role. Instead of having to pause attacking every few seconds for healing, he just dies really really slowly and has conviction that only heals him for like 13% of his health.

And then there's my wind/healer build back in the day. Could easily restore 1/2 her health with a critical conviction, but throw so much as a decent damage burst at her and she was dead. Dang difficult to find that happy medium between raw protection and healing power.