Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepyinsomniac
Jun 18, 2004
zzzzz
Anyone care for benchmarks round these parts?
http://www.androidauthority.com/exynos-5-dual-benchmarks-125134/

Pretty much bests everything out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That was me right? I actually removed the hand strap, the stitches were making indentations on my screen protector. Once I removed the screen protector, I missed the hand strap.

Yes, that explains it then. Great case, even without the strap. :)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
In the Play store, where it says "Shipping Estimate" is that when they estimate it's going to be shipped or that's when it's estimated to arrive?

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Hopefully you can charge the Nexus 10 through the micro-USB port as well as their latest addition to the plethora of proprietary charging interfaces. It's like manufacturers go nuts when they start putting in 2560x panels, the Iconia A700 has a micro-USB port but needs a proprietary micro-USB cable for charging! I understand that these high resolution panels require more power, but you can leave the drat thing on the charger while you sleep, with the panel off.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

xPanda posted:

Hopefully you can charge the Nexus 10 through the micro-USB port as well as their latest addition to the plethora of proprietary charging interfaces. It's like manufacturers go nuts when they start putting in 2560x panels, the Iconia A700 has a micro-USB port but needs a proprietary micro-USB cable for charging! I understand that these high resolution panels require more power, but you can leave the drat thing on the charger while you sleep, with the panel off.

The Acer A700's battery would require approximately 15 hours to charge from empty, if you ran a standard USB port at full standard power and had no power loss in charging the battery nor drain on the battery from anything running.

This is why standard USB ports aren't used on devices with batteries that big for charging.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

IT Guy posted:

Whatever you do, do not get a treegloo case. I ordered mine in August and still haven't seen it. They're pretty much lying to me through emails at the moment.

My treegloo case that I ordered in July finally came in last week. It's a great case, but not worth the ~4 month wait.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ugh, I'm going through the treegloo crap too. Ordered in August. By now I figured I may as well just wait, as surely it will come faster than I could process a return and order a portenzo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I was gonna use some Amazon credit I had to buy a Squaretrade warranty for the Nexus 7 on Amazon but it's $89 for a 3 year warranty on Amazon and $65 on the SquareTrade website. Weird.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

FordPRefectLL posted:

I was gonna use some Amazon credit I had to buy a Squaretrade warranty for the Nexus 7 on Amazon but it's $89 for a 3 year warranty on Amazon and $65 on the SquareTrade website. Weird.

It's different prices in different place. I think the cheapest place is with a Discover card if you have one.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Engadget posted a hands on of the Nexus 10 (including video).

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/nexus-10-hands-on-video/

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I wonder if they're going to do a sale like they did after the release of the Nexus 7 in July, since a new version is coming out. I have 30 days to add it on, right?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Picked up a 32GB Nexus 7 on the way home today. This thing is so much more responsive than my Xoom ever was...and I love the 7" form factor. I can easily see myself using this more than my iPad.

One quick question for now -

The Google reader app doesn't have a 2-pane "tablet" view when in landscape, which is loving dumb. Is there a better RSS app out there? I really liked Feedler on my iPad because I could mark individual posts as read without opening the full post.

EDIT:
Bonus second question: What is the "current" Awful app? I stopped paying attention to the Android Awful App thread, so I'm not sure what is going on anymore. Apparently Ferg isn't the developer anymore?

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 30, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Awful Betamax

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Well, just picked up the TF700 about a week ago, looks like I might return it get the Nexus 10 now. That screen is probably amazing in person and I also really like support for Miracast. Just having a Nexus device with way faster upgrades is great too even if it is a little more ugly and plastic.

Oh yeah, and support for HT40 wireless, front facing speakers, and the neat way the optional cover attaches to it. drat you Google! :arghfist::)

Edit: Having not seen an iPad "retina" display in person, I'm wondering how much better it can actually get than the screen on the TF700 - that thing is already gorgeous.

poxin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 30, 2012

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I bought an 8gb Nexus 7 21 days ago. Office Depot has a 14 day return policy. :negative:
Any way I can hassle OD or Google about a rebate/exchange for a 16gb at the same price? Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?

I should add, I love the tablet, but if I can get more memory at the same price, drat it, I'm going to do it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My boyfriend and I both picked up the EXOTEK Premium Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case With Multi-Angle Stand For Google Nexus 7 Tablet (With Automatic Sleep/Wake Function) (Black). It looks pretty nice, should be here on Wednesday.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Man, I've been planning on buying a Nexus 7 in the very near future, but now I'm torn between it and the 10...

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

XIII posted:

Man, I've been planning on buying a Nexus 7 in the very near future, but now I'm torn between it and the 10...

I had a Nexus 7 for 3 days. The screen was really not that crisp, colors seemed a tad washed out, and it was just basically a big phone. I use my laptop for most things but I just couldn't find a use for it. The 10 is much more of an in-between device for use in bed, on the couch, etc.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Yeah, I'm kinda leaning toward the 10. When the 7 was announced, I was excited, but couldn't help but think that I would have preferred a 10" device, since 95% of my use would be while I was at home, lounging around, reading, gaming, and such. I really talked myself into wanting the 7 because it was the Nexus tablet, but that's not true anymore, so maybe I should just man up and buy what I wanted to begin with.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Awful Betamax

I wish I would have known about this weeks ago, I have been user Awful

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 30, 2012

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Edit: Nevermind

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Awful Betamax

Thanks.

No two pane view with Betamax?What was the full story with Ferg? Just not enough time to develop?

Anyone have suggestions for an RSS app?

EDIT: Are there ANY accessories (charging or otherwise) that use the 4 pins on the lower left corner of the Nexus 7?

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 30, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

RZA Encryption posted:

Ugh, I'm going through the treegloo crap too. Ordered in August. By now I figured I may as well just wait, as surely it will come faster than I could process a return and order a portenzo.

Funny thing is, about 2 weeks ago I threatened to cancel the order (I wasn't really going to because I want the case) and they responded to me via email with a shipping tracking number saying it was shipped. So, 10 business days ago they generated the shipping documents but nothing has changed on the tracking number other than "shipping docs generated", which means that they generated the shipping docs but never shipped the product. I assume this was their attempt to stop me from cancelling. Oh well, I guess. I'll give it a till Christmas before I go to my bank for a charge back on my CC.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

Thanks.

No two pane view with Betamax?What was the full story with Ferg? Just not enough time to develop?

Anyone have suggestions for an RSS app?

EDIT: Are there ANY accessories (charging or otherwise) that use the 4 pins on the lower left corner of the Nexus 7?

Not sure, there's an awful thread you could check. I don't keep up on it to be honest.

As for the pins, not yet. :-(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

As for the pins, not yet. :-(

Well there's hope because with the Galaxy Nexus we only had to wait infinity to get some accessories.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Got a 32GB Nexus 7 today :toot:

I previously had an original B&N Nook with CM flashed as a tablet... it's like going from a Pinto to a Ferrari

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I really wished I lived somewhere with a place that had it in stock. Waiting til Friday is going to be agonizing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

shyduck posted:

Got a 32GB Nexus 7 today :toot:

I previously had an original B&N Nook with CM flashed as a tablet... it's like going from a Pinto to a Ferrari

I'm guessing the HSPA+ Nexus 7 isn't leaking at any retailers yet? I'm Googling but can't find anything one way or the other. I'm imagining they won't exist for a few weeks :(

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Picked up a 32 gig nexus 7 today as well. I've always has an iPhone so this is my first android device. Any outstanding tablet-specific apps I should check out?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
MPlayer plays all sorts of movies really well, so you could jam some XVIDs or whatever the kids watch these days into that 32gb.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
When can we start expect shipments of the Nexus 10 with 2560x1600?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
A "Google" for the Nexus 10 release date says that it is supposed to hit the Play Store on November 13th, and all Play store stuff tends to get two-day shipping.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zero VGS posted:

I'm guessing the HSPA+ Nexus 7 isn't leaking at any retailers yet? I'm Googling but can't find anything one way or the other. I'm imagining they won't exist for a few weeks :(

The ones we have at Staples are WiFi only. If we did start carrying them, we probably wouldn't be able to sell them before the 13th. We had to hold the 32Gb N7 until yesterday, for instance.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
What is the difference between the previous generation Nexus 7 and this generation? Just that the $199 has 16 GB of storage? All the specs look exactly the same to me.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

FlashBangBob posted:

What is the difference between the previous generation Nexus 7 and this generation? Just that the $199 has 16 GB of storage? All the specs look exactly the same to me.

Because they are.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The specs are the same except for the higher storage for lower prices, and the 32gb that can take a Sim card.

Being a newer batch, they might have less quality issues, like the glass lifting up slightly in earlier models.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

The specs are the same except for the higher storage for lower prices, and the 32gb that can take a Sim card.

Being a newer batch, they might have less quality issues, like the glass lifting up slightly in earlier models.

It's not even a newer batch. It's the same C9O from October that was shipping with 8GB and 16GB earlier this month but they stuck 32GB in it.

It's got the same missing screws inside as the other C9Os but it DOES apparently have a better and brighter LCD screen than the C6O (the first gen Nexus 7 from back in July). Apparently, a lot of people who've had to return their 7s and got a C9O have stated that, compared to the others (C6 - C8), the screen looks better and it's using a different LCD screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

C90 really isn't a hardware revision, it's a build date.

9 stands for the 9th month. All C9O means is the unit was built in September. Expect C10O units to start showing up soon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

C90 really isn't a hardware revision, it's a build date.

9 stands for the 9th month. All C9O means is the unit was built in September. Expect C10O units to start showing up soon.

It's not much of a hardware revision, but there are hardware changes across the dates. The ones from July seem to have the worst problems but ASUS started removing screws in the tablet since August and apparently replaced the LCD in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh, I don't doubt that they've changes and improvements over time, it's just that you can't really point at that code as as a boundary line for such changes. Some of the late C8O units may have gotten the improvements or possibly some of the C9O units didn't get the improvements yet. It is the only thing we have to go on though.

That's the main reason why there's been such inconsistency in reports of issues being resolved.