Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My Nexus S with CM10 goes straight to the search box with the keyboard out if you start search from the text box on the home screen.

If you hit the capacitive search button instead it loads the cards and doesn't focus the input box or bring up the keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Ceros_X posted:

If you have Sprint they have a signal extender that plugs into your router and routes your calls and poo poo through the internet. It is free if your reception at home is lovely enough.

Also, if you have Sprint there's the Google Voice integrations. I have a Chrome extension that'll ding whenever I get a voicemail or text. And it always dings a few seconds before my phone. As for voice, if you leave a window of Gmail up, assuming it's been setup for the dialing inside of Gmail, it'll ring whenever you get a phone call and it can be answered from the browser.

Especially useful if you forget your phone since everyone else can't tell a difference except maybe that the call sounds better than normal.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Every time someone mentions GV I get irrationally agitated.

It's one of the most (potentially) awesome Google products and they don't do poo poo with it.

Grr.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

No but you see you should call and text number xxx-xxx-xxxx! Except if you want to send me a picture, then you should send it to yyy-yyy-yyyy. Wait, where are you going? :smith:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Zen Punk posted:

Uhh...I'm totally stock. As far as I know it was like that since I got my N7, and since then I've got the 4.1.2 update and the latest google search update. I'm not rooted or running any custom launchers or anything. I'm just saying, clicking the search bar on the homescreen opens up a google app, then it loads google now cards, and then it lets you enter text. It takes a few seconds. I'd rather just search from the homescreen.

This just made me test this out on my own Galaxy Nexus. No lags here. Hmm.

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

Thermopyle posted:

Every time someone mentions GV I get irrationally agitated.

It's one of the most (potentially) awesome Google products and they don't do poo poo with it.

Grr.

I've been using Google Voice as my primary phone using GrooveIP and the Voice app over wifi at home and school. I don't even have a cell provider. The voice quality is only ok at best with a strong signal(lots of delay problems and other glitches), but I love being able to see and review texts from my phone, tablet, or pc and it makes it easy for me to be an extreme cheapass. The voice transcription has been improving and I've been impressed many times. It's quite handy.

What pisses me off is them getting rid of the docs app and replacing it with drive, which doesn't seem to have any of the old functionality. And why can't I attach a drive file into my gmail directly? I have to download it, then re-upload it back into gmail.

And another thing,

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

anakha posted:

This just made me test this out on my own Galaxy Nexus. No lags here. Hmm.

My VZW GNex has pretty much always had the lag. Not stock, however.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zen Punk posted:

I've been using Google Voice as my primary phone using GrooveIP and the Voice app over wifi at home and school. I don't even have a cell provider. The voice quality is only ok at best with a strong signal(lots of delay problems and other glitches), but I love being able to see and review texts from my phone, tablet, or pc and it makes it easy for me to be an extreme cheapass. The voice transcription has been improving and I've been impressed many times. It's quite handy.

What pisses me off is them getting rid of the docs app and replacing it with drive, which doesn't seem to have any of the old functionality. And why can't I attach a drive file into my gmail directly? I have to download it, then re-upload it back into gmail.

And another thing,

Oh, I'm an extensive user of GV. I ported my landline number to GV and use an Obihai device to seamlessly use Gtalk/GV for my home phone service and I've used my GV number on my cell phone extensively for years.

That doesn't mean that Google pays any attention to it. The app hasn't hardly been updated in a couple years. Still can't send/receive MMS. Can't use SMS quick actions (like that thing where you can reject a call and send a text with a quick reply, or those apps where you schedule a text to send at a later date).

There's a bunch of other stuff that I can't think of right now.

hooah posted:

My VZW GNex has pretty much always had the lag. Not stock, however.

My HSPA+ model had it on stock, and when I finally switched over to CM10 last week I hoped it would fix it. It didn't.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Heners_UK posted:

Alternatively DeskSMS if you can't use Google Voice (e.g. Non US folks)

But DeskSMS still requires a cell signal though, doesn't it? It just sends texts from your computer to your phone, where it then sends out normally, right?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Still can't send/receive MMS.

I have GV with Sprint integration, but I'm planning on porting straight to GV and using a T-Mo prepaid SIM. Losing MMS is what worries me the most. Do you just tell people to stop texting you pictures? Do you miss group texts sent by iPhone users?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Tell them to keep sending pictures. When they ask if you got them, say "yep! lol!".

You won't miss them. People need to learn to just post pics to Facebook, if they're that great you'll find them yourself or maybe get tagged or something.

I have never gotten MMS on my current phone, I got three back when I was on Virgin Mobile and those all came out gibberish because, Virgin Mobile. Frankly I hate SMS too, but I was raised on AIM and all my friends are fortunately on that. If you're not on AIM you're not my friend :colbert:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I had no idea people actually used MMS. Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK carriers priced it so ludicrously high when it was first available that it put the majority of people off permanently. By the time carriers realised what they'd done it was too late because email on phones had become relatively common so people were just emailing pictures instead.

Even today it still costs ~25p to send an MMS on most networks even when you have a contract - bear in mind that most people with contracts have so many free SMS messages that they can't use them all in a month if they try so simply aren't used to paying for messages, and usually have some included data as well. It only makes sense to use MMS if you've run out of data, and even then only sometimes depending on the size of what you're sending.

I can count the number of MMS messages I've received in my lifetime without running out of fingers.

Ah, that makes more sense then. It's never been bundled with contacts in the UK, or not that I've seen.
VVV

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 30, 2012

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
MMS messages are counted the same as SMS messages on every major US carrier as far as I know. Most everyone has unlimited texting that includes unlimited MMS. I generally get pics from people either on Skype or via MMS. E-Mail is pretty much for banking, work, or other business crap and Newegg deals and such.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

DemonMage posted:

MMS messages are counted the same as SMS messages on every major US carrier as far as I know. Most everyone has unlimited texting that includes unlimited MMS. I generally get pics from people either on Skype or via MMS. E-Mail is pretty much for banking, work, or other business crap and Newegg deals and such.

My super old plan from 5 years ago or so still had SMS and MMS separate. The only reason I kept it around was because it was one of Sprint's old retention plans: 2 phones, 1000 minutes, unlimited text and Web, $50. Giving that up so we could finally get smartphones suuuuuuucked.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

MrC posted:

My super old plan from 5 years ago or so still had SMS and MMS separate. The only reason I kept it around was because it was one of Sprint's old retention plans: 2 phones, 1000 minutes, unlimited text and Web, $50. Giving that up so we could finally get smartphones suuuuuuucked.

That's the part about the whole cell phone business in the US that I will never understand. What would have prevented you from ordering an unlocked phone off the etherwebs, slapping in your old SIM and keeping your sweet old plan?

Edit: Germans spell gut.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 30, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Badly Jester posted:

That's the part about the whole cell phone business in the US that I will never understand. What would have prevented you from ordering an unlocked phone off the etherwebs, slapping in your old SIM and keeping your sweet old plan?

Edit: Germans spell gut.

Sprint doesn't use SIMs.

Also, even on GSM carriers, they lock certain types of phones out of certain plans. This has the effect of "capping" people at a specific phone. Sure, they can keep their grandfathered plan if they want, but they will have to move to current plan if they want something modern.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rolleyes posted:

I had no idea people actually used MMS. Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK carriers priced it so ludicrously high when it was first available that it put the majority of people off permanently. By the time carriers realised what they'd done it was too late because email on phones had become relatively common so people were just emailing pictures instead.
Yeah this, and good riddance to it as well. MMS really was the shittiest terrible system for sending pictures. A couple of people I know still insist on using it and sending me stupid tiny little pixelated images that for some reasong get displayed as five second long animations (what the Christ). I don't think I've even bothered to set up the APNs since I last changed ROMs on my GNex. At this point I'd rather just tell people that I don't use MMS.

MMS: The fax machine of the mobile world.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If you still care about launchers it looks like ADW Launcher just had a massive update to version :siren:1.3.3.7:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyfaQoTbmo

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zen Punk posted:

Uhh...I'm totally stock. As far as I know it was like that since I got my N7, and since then I've got the 4.1.2 update and the latest google search update. I'm not rooted or running any custom launchers or anything. I'm just saying, clicking the search bar on the homescreen opens up a google app, then it loads google now cards, and then it lets you enter text. It takes a few seconds. I'd rather just search from the homescreen.

Then your device is either bogging down from something or you have a terrible wifi connection because when I tap the search bar from the launcher I have text input before I can even get my thumbs situated on the keyboard. My shoddy Nexus S takes a few seconds though.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Zen Punk posted:

I use that app too, and I've noticed that certain ISPs just dont work well at all with it. AT&T DSL seems to just barely work at all. I've tried it at different places, so it's different routers. I've used Charter and it seemed to work pretty good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I need an app to record calls. Can someone please recommend one?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
gently caress SMS/MMS. Never had an unlimited plan, haven't had any plan in five years. Biggest profit center I have ever seen.

Is there anything in any of the good Android browsers like Reader mode in Mobile Safari?

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

I need an app to record calls. Can someone please recommend one?

This works pretty well for me.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Excellent. Can't wait to deploy it once I get a Nexus 4.

DaCheese
Jul 24, 2007

Bureaucracy has ruined murder.

Can anyone recommend a good caller id app that would tell you the location the number is from (via area code) and maybe have a quicksearch function to look up the number on the internet?

I hate getting calls from numbers I don't recognize.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Hey, I just got a Galaxy S3. I've heard things about people playing old console games on their smartphones; Are there any good emulators on the app store, or do you have to use homebrew stuff?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Silento posted:

Are there any good emulators on the app store, or do you have to use homebrew stuff?
Robert Broglia's emulators are quite good. His SNES emulator is also free and indicative of the quality of his paid ones.

Sadly, Snes9x EX was removed from the market for inexplicable reasons, but as it was free anyways, you can just download it from his website.

Edit: BTW, it's all homebrew stuff. Nintendo isn't releasing emulators here.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

That was bad wording on my part. I meant to ask if there were some in the app store, that worked, that didn't require you to break your phone to use them.

That looks good though, thanks. :)

Silento fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 30, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What do you mean by "break your phone"?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Skeezy posted:

If you still care about launchers it looks like ADW Launcher just had a massive update to version :siren:1.3.3.7:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyfaQoTbmo

I only bought Nova the other day because it had features ADW ex was lacking, if only I'd waited.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Silento posted:

That was bad wording on my part. I meant to ask if there were some in the app store, that worked, that didn't require you to break your phone to use them.

I'm guessing you're talking about rooting your phone which saying it breaks it is for a completely different talk.

But no, you just have to turn on 3rd party apps in the settings which allows you to install apps not from the google market. Which you have to do anyway if you want anything to do with the amazon market.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What do you mean by "break your phone"?

Oh, I meant Jailbreak. Sorry, only just remembered what it was actually called.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Silento posted:

Oh, I meant Jailbreak. Sorry, only just remembered what it was actually called.
Oh, in that case, welcome to Android! Here's our equivalents to iOS terminology:
  • App Store => Google Play (formerly the Android Market)
  • "jailbreak" => "root"
Also keep in mind that Android supports installation of non-store apps ("sideload") as a fundamental feature, no root required.

Some apps do require that you have a rooted phone, because they make use of features that the OS doesn't otherwise have an application-level interface for. But emulators don't necessarily fall into that category.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yea, I figured some of that out. This is my first smart phone, and it's pretty crazy how much they can do. :shobon:

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
On the subject of emulators, I just broke down and bought SixAxis from the market. I have to say it's probably the coolest thing that I've done on my phone. Not that I'd drag a controller with me to a coffee shop, but my Nexus 7 and GNex emulate so well that it just rounds out the whole experience. Haven't tried 2 PS3 Controllers, but it apparently works.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DaCheese posted:

Can anyone recommend a good caller id app that would tell you the location the number is from (via area code) and maybe have a quicksearch function to look up the number on the internet?

I use Current Caller ID.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Chomp SMS was brought up a few pages back, and after getting fed up with Handcent I went to go try it out. Seriously the best messaging app I've tried to date. It has the edge on the stock program with its speed and features, but doesn't have the awful bloat and general awfulness that all the other third party apps have.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

DaCheese posted:

I've been using Current Caller ID.

DaCheese
Jul 24, 2007

Bureaucracy has ruined murder.

This looks awesome. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
About the only thing I use twitter for is to find articles to read (most of my friends don't use it so all I follow is bloggers) so I'm trying to improve my "workflow" for reading. Right now I go through and "favorite" tweets with articles I want to read later, then as I read them (from the web interface or my twitter client) I unfavorite them. This isn't how twitter intended the favorite feature to be used, because people get notifications when I favorite an article and I don't really like my reading list being public like that.

So I'm looking for a twitter client with good integration into some kind of read it later service (instapaper, readability, pocket, don't really care which). I'm using TweetCaster and it keeps forgetting where I am in my timeline. I'm sending them to Readability, but I think I'm not understanding how to do it correctly, because once I've read something I delete it from my reading list, but Readability makes it harder to delete something than to archive or favorite it, so not sure how I'm supposed to use this.

Ultimately I'm probably going to get some kind of tablet and I'd like to be able to sync an offline copy of my articles to read to the tablet, so I can mark to read them later on my phone, and then later on read them on my tablet, without waiting for articles to load or anything like that.

• Locked thread